Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we are going 3-5-2, where does he fit in? I doubt we'd play him at wing back, no chance.

RvP Rooney
Mata
Shaw DiMaria Herrera Valencia​

?

Seems a bit too attack minded to me.

I'm increasingly convinced we'll quickly revert to a 4 man back line if we can get some of the big targets we want. LVG's already suggested the possibility of doing so, and if we bring in a top winger we'll surely go 4231 with the new man on one wing and Januzaj pressing for a spot on the other one. Otherwise why buy someone like that?

If we are going 3-5-2, where does he fit in? I doubt we'd play him at wing back, no chance.

RvP Rooney
Mata
Shaw DiMaria Herrera Valencia​

?

Seems a bit too attack minded to me.

He could potentially replace one of RVP or Rooney up front, provide that bit of pace. He slots easily into a 4-3-3 as a CM or wide player though and I guess if we signed him our best team would probably fit into that shape a little more comfortably.

Very reliable in what way? Can't say I've heard of them, have they got stuff right in the past?
I'm pretty sure it was Cadena Cope that called Thiago going to Bayern way before anyone else got hold of it. I know this because I was a heartbroken muppet at the time.

Even so, I can't imagine us going for him if we're really intent on the 3-5-2/3-4-1-2/3-4-3 or whatever it's being called now.

Agreed. And by all accounts a couple of clubs have had a nibble at Rooney over the years, who would be going for those kind of big sums, and each time we've locked him in with a big contract. I'm not worried about established players leaving the club against our will. Ronaldo is the only one.

Very reliable in what way? Can't say I've heard of them, have they got stuff right in the past?
They killed muppet dreams last summer when they announced that Thiago would be a Bayern player. I've been following there news ever since and believe me they don't just wildly speculate without having good Knowledge. Also the Spanish football fans take them very seriously.

Or he'll do nothing. Nani is ridiculously inconsistent. No doubt his best is ahead of Lallana, but there's no guarantee what you get out of him.

Januzaj is worse than Lallana.

:lol:. You make it sound like they're both shit! Be positive man!

Lallana is better the player at the moment. But us United fans are banking on Januzaj to be world class player in time.

We are not going to sign him if van Gaal is insistent on the 3-5-2. We have enough attacking options for that system currently and we'll target defenders.

We are not going to sign him if van Gaal is insistent on the 3-5-2. We have enough attacking options for that system currently and we'll target defenders.
We don't really know what he'll play yet, but from what i've heard him say in the past he prefers a 4-3-3/3-4-3

:lol:. You make it sound like they're both shit! Be positive man!

Lallana is better the player at the moment. But us United fans are banking on Januzaj to be world class player in time.

Lallana is better than Nani at the moment, there's no debating that, despite Nani's obviously superior (but now essentially mythical) 'ceiling'.

But Januzaj is already better. If he'd played as many games as Lallana last season he'd match him statistically, and there can't be much doubt that he's ahead of him on those moments of magic, and in terms of potential.

I'm pretty sure it was Cadena Cope that called Thiago going to Bayern way before anyone else got hold of it. I know this because I was a heartbroken muppet at the time.

They killed muppet dreams last summer when they announced that Thiago would be a Bayern player. I've been following there news ever since and believe me they don't just wildly speculate without having good Knowledge. Also the Spanish football fans take them very seriously.

Ok, cheers lads.

Even so, I can't imagine us going for him if we're really intent on the 3-5-2/3-4-1-2/3-4-3 or whatever it's being called now.

Personally I don't think we are that intent on it. As it stands I think LVG's going with it because it works for the actual group of players out on tour with him right now. But sign any of the big targets, and I suspect he might feel that enough of the weaknesses in a 433 had been solved to revert to that sort of approach. Hell, he might be persuaded down that route just by seeing what Januzaj can do, because I'm not sure there's a position at all for Januzaj in the 351.

I'm thinking we'll go 433

-------Carrick---------
--Herrera----Mata----
Di Maria---------Januzaj
-------Rooney/RvP------

We don't really know what he'll play yet, but from what i've heard him say in the past he prefers a 4-3-3/3-4-3
Well, he's more or less confirmed he will use the system next season along with 4-4-3 at times. If that's the case, I genuinely think he would pass up the opportunity to sign di Maria as he has already confessed the squad is too unbalanced and signing di Maria would destabilise that further. It's only guess work, but I don't expect us to sign an attacking player following LVG's comments.

Lallana is better than Nani at the moment, there's no debating that, despite Nani's obviously superior (but now essentially mythical) 'ceiling'.

But Januzaj is already better. If he'd played as many games as Lallana last season he'd match him statistically, and there can't be much doubt that he's ahead of him on those moments of magic, and in terms of potential.

Ok, cheers lads.

Personally I don't think we are that intent on it. As it stands I think LVG's going with it because it works for the actual group of players out on tour with him right now. But sign any of the big targets, and I suspect he might feel that enough of the weaknesses in a 433 had been solved to revert to that sort of approach. Hell, he might be persuaded down that route just by seeing what Januzaj can do, because I'm not sure there's a position at all for Januzaj in the 351.
I suppose intent is the wrong word, but it certainly appears the likeliest at this stage just because it's really the only way you get Van Persie, Rooney and Mata into the same side without moving them out of their best position.

I think this might have been his meaning when he mentioned giving it a few weeks to assess the players - if we seem to take to the 3-5-2 well over the next few games then we'd quite possibly be after different kinds of players the those we'd be looking at if he feels we need to revert to 4-3-3. Di Maria in the latter case makes a lot of sense, in the former none at all.

Well, he's more or less confirmed he will use the system next season along with 4-4-3 at times. If that's the case, I genuinely think he would pass up the opportunity to sign di Maria as he has already confessed the squad is too unbalanced and signing di Maria would destabilise that further. It's only guess work, but I don't expect us to sign an attacking player following LVG's comments.
Van Gaal has openly admitted he would've liked Robben here so watch this space...

I'm thinking we'll go 433

-------Carrick---------
--Herrera----Mata----
Di Maria---------Januzaj
-------Rooney/RvP------

If we were going to go 4-3-3 I'd switch Di Maria and Mata there, Di Maria's had a great season playing at times in a midfield 3 from what I've seen whereas I think Mata would struggle there. I'd want Mata in a #10 role in any case as I reckon he's probably our best player, tbh I can't really find a way to put a first XI in a 4-3-3 that looks more convincing than a potential 3-5-2/3-4-3

---------------------------De Gea-----------------------
---------------Smalling---Jones---Evans--------------
----------------------------------------------------------
Rafael---------------Herrera---Carrick---------Shaw--
-----------------------------Mata---------------------
----------------RVP/Rooney----Januzaj/Welbeck----

That to me seems more balanced than anything else we can currently come up with, although at minimum we'd need another CM and CB to shore things up.

Angel Di Maria is getting impatient with PSG
The noodle according to French radio station RMC, has asked Al-Khelaifi (PSG president) a significant advance in the operation or might start listening to Manchester United.

Di Maria is on vacation but becoming restless because sale to PSG is not closed, the club which already has a deal for next season . The Parisian club remains a prisoner of the limitations imposed by the new Financial Fair Play and can not sell before someone without their stars, spent 60 million will be paid to Madrid by the Argentine. The noodle according to French radio station RMC, has asked Al-Khelaifi (PSG president) a significant advance in the operation or might start listening to his other great pretender, Manchester United.

The Red Devils have the financial muscle to pay the transfer, but not yet reach the eight million Euros per season offered by the PSG Di Maria because destabilize the system of salary scales. Argentine's mind does not pass your case ends up in an endless soap opera and have to rejoin the discipline Madrid on 5 August. So it is tightening the PSG to reach a solution and ...

http://futbol.as.com/futbol/2014/07...otball,+soccer,+sport,+Real+Madrid,+Barcelona

We should seriously question his motivation if we are his second choice against PSG, cause career wise, there is no doubt that we are the best choice. That is if we have contacted him.

We should seriously question his motivation if we are his second choice against PSG, cause career wise, there is no doubt that we are the best choice. That is if we have contacted him.

I'm feeling that way as well, I understand he is one of the best wingers in football today but if he is leaving us hanging while psg attempts to circumvent FFP, I don't think that's the type of player Van Gaal will be willing to push the boat out for.

If we are playing 3-5-2 then signing him doesn't make that much sense. Especially for huge money. Sanchez was the player to get for that to play upfront if we wanted another option to stretch more off the front and with pace.

The only position Di Maria would fit in a 3 - 5 - 2 would probably be as the defensive AM as he did for Real last season.

Having di Maria at United would give LVG more tactical and strategic flexibility.

Had a exchange with some PSG fans on twitter and they don't think di Maria is possible with FFP restrictions. The only way they believe they can sign him is if Madrid agree to a loan, but they don't believe Madrid will agree to a loan and will rather accept a straight cash transfer from Man Utd.

Had a exchange with some PSG fans on twitter and they don't think di Maria is possible with FFP restrictions. The only way they believe they can sign him is if Madrid agree to a loan, but they don't believe Madrid will agree to a loan and will rather accept a straight cash transfer from Man Utd.
Sounds plausible. PSG couldn't even buy Serge Aurier and had to get him on loan with an option to buy. That's what you get when you pay 50 million for David Luiz.

Think he's almost definitely going to psg, but if we managed to bring him in it would be brilliant. Regardless of what van gaal said I think he still intends to eventually go to a 4-3-3, the 3-5-2 is only temporary with the squad being so unbalanced. Hernandez, kagawa, fellaini, young, nani are all potentially off from the attacking positions alone, which wouldn't make it necessary for van gaal to play the 3-5-2 and instead we could do the normal formation, one which would suit di Maria perfectly.

Hopefully it's too expensive for PSG and we swoop in, but it's unlikely.

Think he's almost definitely going to psg, but if we managed to bring him in it would be brilliant. Regardless of what van gaal said I think he still intends to eventually go to a 4-3-3, the 3-5-2 is only temporary with the squad being so unbalanced. Hernandez, kagawa, fellaini, young, nani are all potentially off from the attacking positions alone, which wouldn't make it necessary for van gaal to play the 3-5-2 and instead we could do the normal formation, one which would suit di Maria perfectly.

Hopefully it's too expensive for PSG and we swoop in, but it's unlikely.
The PSG fans don't believe he will join them

I agree with everything you said about the formation. The beauty about Van Gaal is his flexibility with his system, but eventually I agree he will go to his preferred system once he gets the personnel he wants.

I think he's a great player and would love him here but I've just got at the back of my mind to never trust the Argie players, we've got bad experience with them. Also remember the line that the club only want players who really want to come here and nowhere else, hardly seems the case with Di Maria.

I'd love Di Maria here but it doesn't sound like his a priority.

I don't think we should jump to conclusions. Cadena Cope who are the most reliable outlet i've come cross regarding Spanish players have not mentioned anything about Di Maria preferring PSG.

I'd love Di Maria here but it doesn't sound like his a priority.
I agree, for the money quoted we desperately need another CB before Di Maria.

As good as he is, our attacking options are not as weak as the defense. If I had a choice between Hummels or Di maria right now, I would choose Hummels.

I agree, for the money quoted we desperately need another CB before Di Maria.

As good as he is, our attacking options are not as weak as the defense. If I had a choice between Hummels or Di maria right now, I would choose Hummels.
As much as we need a wide player I realistically see 2 CB's and another midfielder before a wide player.

Status
Not open for further replies.