Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Presumably, LvG would prefer both of them to play on the left wing, given they are both left footed.

I'd like to see him on the right for us. He can run at players, cut in, shoot. What we've been missing really.

I don't understand our transfer policy, or the state of our finances, or I just don't understand football.

I can't understand why we not in for players like Di Maria/Sanchez and Khedira if we have the money to spend.

Last edited:
I don't understand our transfer policy or the state of our finances or I just don't understand football.

I can't understand why we not in for players like Di Maria/Sanchez, Khedira if we have the money to spend.

We've never really not had money to spend. Even before the Glazers we bought from within England or went for younger players.

I agree, id rather we spent a fortune on our midfield and defence before shelling out on an attacker, but if rumours persist with Nani, Young and Zaha being up for sale then going for Di Maria doesn't bare thinking about.

But where does the pace come from in our attack. Both RVP and Rooney are no longer very quick. I can see teams continuing to play a high line against us safe in the knowledge that no one with pace will get behind them. I think the lack of pace upfront is as much of an issue as the problems we have in midfield and in defence.

I don't understand our transfer policy or the state of our finances or I just don't understand football.

I can't understand why we not in for players like Di Maria/Sanchez, Khedira if we have the money to spend.
Because LvG isn't a transfer-market type of manager. Its clear he's calling the transfer shots here.

I think Di Maria playing on the right would be wonderful. He could play a Robben type role there. Januzaj can have the left, they can alternate, float and interchange with Rooney, Mata or whoever else plays in the 3 behind RVP. would be complete fluid football.

I think Di Maria playing on the right would be wonderful. He could play a Robben type role there. Januzaj can have the left, they can alternate, float and interchange with Rooney, Mata or whoever else plays in the 3 behind RVP. would be complete fluid football.

Agreed, he would be a gamechanger for us. I hope we get him.

Pretty much. Can see Adnan really kicking on this year, regardless of if we sign a winger or not. He's got the left if he wants it, it's the right we need quality.

I really dont see how Di Maria would slow Adnan's progress...Valencia, Young and Nani are all crap, we literally have no wingers and we badly need pace in the team.

I am assuming Rooney, Mata and RVP are pretty much guaranteed starters. That leaves only one position up for grabs, doesn't it? I want Adnan to be a regular player this season not a bit part one. Bringing in an established player like ADM would diminish his minutes unless someone gets injured.

I am assuming Rooney, Mata and RVP are pretty much guaranteed starters. That leaves only one position up for grabs, doesn't it? I want Adnan to be a regular player this season not a bit part one. Bringing in an established player like ADM would diminish his minutes unless someone gets injured.

I'm not. Those three playing together usually makes for slow, disjointed football. We need actual width, with those three playing either Rooney or Mata would play on the wing. I'd much rather Mata play behind one of Rooney/RvP.

I'm not. Those three playing together usually makes for slow, disjointed football. We need actual width, with those three playing either Rooney or Mata would play on the wing. I'd much rather Mata play behind one of Rooney/RvP.

Realistically - Rooney or RVP are not getting benched are they?

Agreed. Personally, I'd have Rooney leave and replace him with a fast and direct forward. Sanchez would have been perfect. I think Di Maria is a better player but I would prioritise Sanchez' goal threat.

Agreed. Personally, I'd have Rooney leave and replace him with a fast and direct forward. Sanchez would have been perfect. I think Di Maria is a better player but I would prioritise Sanchez' goal threat.

Personally I'd talk to Madrid about trading Rooney for Di Maria, straight swap.
From a marketing perspective it makes sense for them.

Personally I'd talk to Madrid about trading Rooney for Di Maria, straight swap.
From a marketing perspective it makes sense for them.

But from a marketing perspective it makes no sense for us. I believe Rooney wouldn't be at United today if not for his status off the field. Doubt he would have survived his strops, particularly the second one. My guess is he'd have gone last summer.

But from a marketing perspective it makes no sense for us. I believe Rooney wouldn't be at United today if not for his status off the field. Doubt he would have survived his strops, particularly the second one. My guess is he'd have gone last summer.

SAF made it easy for Moyes to ship Rooney out, it's just that Moyes was too much of a tool to do so.

SAF made it easy for Moyes to ship Rooney out, it's just that Moyes was too much of a tool to do so.

Had an eager buyer too. Instead he made him practically unsellable.

Well we would have been stupid to sell to Chelsea even if they straight up offered £40m for him.

Chelsea would have won the league if they had him last season and would probably win it again this year with him.

Well we would have been stupid to sell to Chelsea even if they straight up offered £40m for him.

I believe at one point Chelsea offered us mata and Luiz for Rooney....I would have taken that deal , kept Mata and sold Luiz to psg or trade Luiz to psg for someone like Lucas or Veratti.

I believe at one point Chelsea offered us mata and Luiz for Rooney....I would have taken that deal , kept Mata and sold Luiz to psg or trade Luiz to psg for someone like Lucas or Veratti.
Yes because that was SO going to happen. Mata and Luiz for Rooney? Even if money was involved when was the last time big teams pulled off an exchange of players?

Really? Luiz?

Sounds like BS. We got Mata in the end and avoided Luiz so glad it didn't happen.

In hindsight I'd have shipped out Rooney for £40m no problem (as long as it was immediately reinvested into players). At the time though most thought we'd at least have a go at a title challenge and selling Rooney to Chelsea would basically be tantamount to gifting them the league. He had to go abroad and consensus is that there weren't any offers, regardless of whether Moyes wanted him to stay or not.

We could have sold Luiz to PSG for £50m though!

Do you think we would have sold him after one season? Fellaini is still here, we do give players a chance and Luiz would have hung around for a few seasons then sold him for 10 million.

Do you think we would have sold him after one season? Fellaini is still here, we do give players a chance and Luiz would have hung around for a few seasons then sold him for 10 million.

If psg offered us 50m for any one of our players they would sold, except perhaps for de gea.
Also, don't assume that fellaini won't be sold. (That may just be wishful thinking of my part!)

If psg offered us 50m for any one of our players they would sold, except perhaps for de gea.
Also, don't assume that fellaini won't be sold. (That may just be wishful thinking of my part!)

There's no fact or substance to that statement as it has never happened. Closest thing is Ronaldo leaving but he wanted out. I can't think of any other TOP player that has wanted to leave United by choice, they have left because Fergie kicked them out or were past it.

There's no fact or substance to that statement as it has never happened. Closest thing is Ronaldo leaving but he wanted out. I can't think of any other TOP player that has wanted to leave United by choice, they have left because Fergie kicked them out or were past it.

Agreed, but van gaal is in charge now, I doubt players like fellaini and Anderson will be allowed to do nothing and still manage to pick up a pay check.

Agreed, but van gaal is in charge now, I doubt players like fellaini and Anderson will be allowed to do nothing and still manage to pick up a pay check.

Agree about Anderson he will probably get the boot, but i think Fellaini will stay as we invested a lot of money in him, there will be lot of board pressure to keep him for atleast another season.

Van Gaal also said hes not happy about the number of players he has playing as No.10s he has too many and also the amount of strikers on the bench is too much theres not a good balance to the squad so think Kagawa could be going as well, although I like Kagawa I think he would be better off leaving and getting regular football elsewhere and it will give us extra funds to sign Di-Maria and balance the team better.

Agreed. And by all accounts a couple of clubs have had a nibble at Rooney over the years, who would be going for those kind of big sums, and each time we've locked him in with a big contract. I'm not worried about established players leaving the club against our will. Ronaldo is the only one.

According to the very reliable Cadena Cope

Very reliable in what way? Can't say I've heard of them, have they got stuff right in the past?

If we are going 3-5-2, where does he fit in? I doubt we'd play him at wing back, no chance.

RvP Rooney
Mata
Shaw DiMaria Herrera Valencia​

?

Seems a bit too attack minded to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.