Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
From BBC
Manchester United have been linked with a move for Real Madrid winger Angel di Maria, but Real manager Carlo Ancelotti has said the Argentine is still part of his plans for next season, despite recent big-money signings in midfield.

"Di Maria is a Real Madrid player," Ancelotti said. "With the signings of Rodriguez and Kroos there is more competition in the centre of the pitch, but that's how it is at the big clubs.

"Competition is energy and last season we had problems in the final part of the season."

PSG have also been linked with a bid for Di Maria, but coach Laurent Blanc is keeping his cards close to his chest.

"I'll leave you to speculate," he told reporters. "At the moment nothing is done. Are there negotiations? It's not for me to say, but for the board of the club."
He said this last year about higuain too. You have to keep your cards close to your chest. They are probably trying to hold out for as much money as possible and if in the end di maria does stay he will feel trusted by ancelotti as he publicly said he wanted him to stay.

Well it is though. When it comes to attracting the big names we're below Real/Barca/Bayern/PSG/Chelsea/City.

It is obvious given the lack of CL we are going to struggle slightly in the transfer market, once we are back in we will compete with anyone (maybe not Real but they're a bit mad), this PSG, City, etc it's just a passing faze FFP will sort that out, we need a DM, and 2 defenders of decent quality and we will be fine.

Well he's had plenty of time to form opinions sitting on the Brazil bench watching Bernard and Willian play ahead of him.

If we had a presence like Lucas on the RW it would make a hell of a difference to us.
We badly need someone with pace that can consistently beat people off the dribble.

Mata warmed the bench for Spain but that doesnt make him any less of a player.

It is obvious given the lack of CL we are going to struggle slightly in the transfer market, once we are back in we will compete with anyone (maybe not Real but they're a bit mad), this PSG, City, etc it's just a passing faze FFP will sort that out, we need a DM, and 2 defenders of decent quality and we will be fine.

I beg to differ, even when we were in the Champions league we had difficulties attracting world class players, especially foreign ones. Last summer we couldnt even sign Thiago or Cesc.

Lucas may have a differing opinion :)

PS: IMO PSG have a better team than us at the moment, hands down.

Just because Moyes made them look crap doesn't mean we don't have top players, DDG RVP, Mata, Rooney, Janujaz (on way anyway) to name but a few, yes we have some crap but so do lots of top teams, our problem is we are unbalanced with too many attacking top players, LVG will sort it all out though.

I beg to differ, even when we were in the Champions league we had difficulties attracting world class players, especially foreign ones. Last summer we couldnt even sign Thiago or Cesc.

Thiago isn't a top player yet, Cesc was never for sale, much like Rooney wasn't for sale by us, yes I agree we have struggled recently but we kept on winning so it is fine, now our finances are back on track we will compete again, we have to, not just for the fans, but the sponsors too.

Just because Moyes made them look crap doesn't mean we don't have top players, DDG RVP, Mata, Rooney, Janujaz (on way anyway) to name but a few, yes we have some crap but so do lots of top teams, our problem is we are unbalanced with too many attacking top players, LVG will sort it all out though.

I have full confidence that LVG will sort it out, I just hope his ego doesnt get in the way of buying top players because he wants to prove a point that he can take this squad to the top.
We have a great squad, we just need 2-3 additions to ensure we can compete for the title next year.

Damn, pay him. This guy would be an amazing buy. Only this season has he really got the credit he deserves. Best player in Real Madrid last season playing partly on the central midfield as well and he did great in the World Cup too. He'd make our right flank so much more dangerous offensively.

This looks like it's setting up to be an Eden Hazard situation..between us and PSG. Better hope he doesn't announce ''I'm signing for the french winners'' on Twitter.

This looks like it's setting up to be an Eden Hazard situation..between us and PSG. Better hope he doesn't announce ''I'm signing for the french winners'' on Twitter.

If we paid off Di Maria's agent a cool 6M like Hazard's agent got, anything is possible.

Who gives a shit if they're from here or abroad.
Well every summer we get fixated by stars from abroad that we just can't buy. We're let down everytime. There's only 2 clubs in England who land players like Di Maria nowadays, and we're not one of them. feck, even Arsenal have changed their transfer policy with Ozil and Sanchez.

Seemed to work out OK for Chelsea in the end with that one. They wanted to pay this additional fee and we didn't.

The 6m Chelsea paid Hazard's agent is a drop in the ocean to what he's worth now.
That was one our transfer departments poorer moments.

If he's genuinely available and interested we'd be daft to pass up on it. He's one of the best wingers in World football and we're in desperate need for some quality on the wings. He's also very versatile and hard working.

We only sign big players from the premier league. We don;t buy stars from other European leagues.

Good point. If we were in Europe I would be quite comfortable but to lure him now we will most likely need to pay him over the odd's in terms of wages.

If he's genuinely available and interested we'd be daft to pass up on it. He's one of the best wingers in World football and we're in desperate need for some quality on the wings. He's also very versatile and hard working.
Probably the best out and out wide man right now.

If we had a presence like Lucas on the RW it would make a hell of a difference to us.
We badly need someone with pace that can consistently beat people off the dribble.

Mata warmed the bench for Spain but that doesnt make him any less of a player.

I wasn't saying anything about his ability as a player, I was pointing out that he's probably not feeling so smug about his move to PSG at the moment (as you implied) given that he's underwhelming there at the moment, and has lost favour in the Brazil set-up as a result.

Also I always like to point out that we do have Januzaj in the category of someone with pace who can consistently beat a man with a dribble. Not that I disagree that we could do with another.

LVG has confirmed we'll be playing 3-5-2 this season. So this is a no go.

I wasn't saying anything about his ability as a player, I was pointing out that he's probably not feeling so smug about his move to PSG at the moment (as you implied) given that he's underwhelming there at the moment, and has lost favour in the Brazil set-up as a result.

Also I always like to point out that we do have Januzaj in the category of someone with pace who can consistently beat a man with a dribble. Not that I disagree that we could do with another.

Agreed Januzaj (and welbeck to an extent) can glide past opposition players, we do need pace though, we are sorely lacking in that department at the moment.

He also mentioned that he has no qualms changing the system or reverting back to a 4-3-3 if necessary.
I dont think we are tied to a 3-5-2.

I think he is playing that system to accommodate rooney and rvp.
if we get di maria and/or vidal in, im sure he will adjust the system to suit the new players.

He said he's having to play 352 because our squad is imbalanced as it stands, but that he can and will move back to 433 if the situation changes. So no, not for that reason it's not.

Van Gaal said himself he wants to play two up top, so unless we sell one of the two main front men or Van Gaal just wants him as a really good backup plan from the bench when 3-5-2 isn't working, it's hard to disagree that di Maria is unlikely to be in the manager's plans right now.

Well if the fees around 50-55m Euros are right, then I don't think its worth spending that much on him. He is a very good player but we can strengthen midfield and defense by getting two players, for that amount, especially if we are going to play 3 at the back.

He said we'll play that because we have so many strikers/no10's. If we sell Hernandez and Kagawa which is a possibility (probable in Hernandez's case), then it's not guaranteed we'll play 3-5-2 always. I think long term the plan is still to go to a 4-3-3, it's just 3-5-2 suits us best at the moment, and you really can't argue that.

Would be an amazing signing for sure. Hope to wake up tomorrow and find out he has signed.

Did you read what I said in the other thread? The COPE quotes saying he'd decide his future in a few hours came on Thursday night or Friday morning.

You quoted a Metro article which was also posted at 11am on Friday.

I very much doubt van Gaal is prepared to further unbalance the squad for an incredibly high fee, the sooner he signs for PSG the better.

Lacks the pace I would think. That position made Ashley Young look good, imagine Di Maria there.
Look good? Two 88-90 minute goals which were not only a tap in and an open goal but also the culmination of an already demolition job are hardly testament of a player looking good.

Status
Not open for further replies.