Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty dumb thing to say. Sure it was true some years ago but now PSG are already one of the top clubs in the world getting to the Quarter Finals two years in a row in the champions league. They got sent out by Chelsea because Zlatan couldn't play the second leg after they won the first leg comfortably and they ended up going out on away goals. They went out a year earlier on away goals against Barcelona as well.

They continue to develop as well, so Quarter finals is not very likely to be the furthest they will reach in the future so why wouldn't a player want to go there? The league has Monaco now too who are big spenders and just reached the Champions League and with the right investments they can get past the group stage as well. In England you aren't guaranteed to get Champions League football these days no matter which team you choose to play for as the competition is so hard.

I would prefer to join a club where you know that the team is moving forward and the Champions League football is nearly guaranteed. PSG are two world class full-backs from having one of the best teams in the world. I'd say they have a better team than us right now and their midfield and front line has much more harmony than ours.
One of the top clubs in the world? One of the richest but not a top club. Man United, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Barcelona are top clubs with great history and tradition not PSG. They are manufactured club build on money with talented individuals. Wow they got to the quarter finals, big deal. G

PSG's most played eleven last year:

Lavezzi-Zlatan-Cavani
Matuidi-Motta-Verratti

They have Moura, Cabaye, Pastore and Marquinho on the bench who all would walk in to our first eleven. Arguably we don't have a single player who would walk in to their first eleven of the offensive and midfield options for the current formation/tactics. Mata would be the exception if they changed their formation.

One of the top clubs in the world? Clearly one of the richest but not a top club. Man United, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Barcelona are top clubs with great history and tradition, not PSG. They are a manufactured club built on money with talented individuals. Wow they got to the quarter finals, big deal. The amount of money they have spent to get there, it was hardly an achievement? The point I was making is that I question anybody choosing PSG over Manchester United. It's about mentality and progressing as a footballer. I doubt he will become a better footballer playing in France all year.
You said you would prefer to join a club where you know that the team is moving forward and the Champions League football is nearly guaranteed. Great ambition that, join Benfica or Galatasary. That's hardly setting a challenge for yourself is it. Where would you chose to retire Celtic:rolleyes: Fecking sick of people thinking PSG are class. It's so easy for them. It's like watching Celtic win the SPL, poor league. They won't win the Champions league this decade, I guarantee it. United have a better chance of doing it before the decade is out.

One of the top clubs in the world? Clearly one of the richest but not a top club. Man United, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Barcelona are top clubs with great history and tradition, not PSG. They are a manufactured club built on money with talented individuals. Wow they got to the quarter finals, big deal. The amount of money they have spent to get there, it was hardly an achievement? The point I was making is that I question anybody choosing PSG over Manchester United. It's about mentality and progressing as a footballer. I doubt he will become a better footballer playing in France all year.
You said you would prefer to join a club where you know that the team is moving forward and the Champions League football is nearly guaranteed. Great ambition that, join Benfica or Galatasary. That's hardly setting a challenge for yourself is it. Where would you chose to retire Celtic:rolleyes: Fecking sick of people thinking PSG are class. It's so easy for them. It's like watching Celtic win the SPL, poor league. They won't win the Champions league this decade, I guarantee it. United have a better chance of doing it before the decade is out.

PSG has been a better club than us if we just go by the last two years and they have a better squad. They have not just won their league but reached far in the Champions League unlike the others you mention. Like I said none of our offensive players would get in to their first eleven whereas four of their bench options would get in to our first eleven. Talking shit about players for joining a club with a better squad, who performed better the last two years, who offers more money is just stupid. How can you possibly hold it against the players? It is a fair choice to make by them.

The real issue was the players who joined before the foundation had been set, when they were still not in the Champions League and didn't really have a good squad either.

they got taught a lesson in team spirit by chelsea. When i look at psg is see a group of talented individuals. They are not a team (yet!)

I think they have a problem with the fact that Zlatan and Cavani needs completely different systems to blossom perfectly. Zlatan is a playmaking striker who needs runners outside of him which he can attempt to find with his beautiful playmaking. Cavani on the other hand is that runner himself and the team has to play a completely different system with him in the side but they refuse to do so.

So they try to replace Zlatan with Cavani which just hasn't worked out well for them for obvious reasons. I guess Blanc prefers playing one system always as if he changes system right before a game it may end up worse anyhow as they don't have the AM they would preferably have behind Cavani. Moura, Lavezzi and Cavani up front like they played against Chelsea is not very balanced at all as all of them are runners who needs a playmaker to constantly find them. I think Blanc made a big tactical error, which he has made before and probably will make again.

I think they have a problem with the fact that Zlatan and Cavani needs completely different systems to blossom perfectly. Zlatan is a playmaking striker who needs runners outside of him which he can attempt to find with his beautiful playmaking. Cavani on the other hand is that runner himself and the team has to play a completely different system with him in the side but they refuse to do so.

So they try to replace Zlatan with Cavani which just hasn't worked out well for them for obvious reasons. I guess Blanc prefers playing one system always as if he changes system right before a game it may end up worse anyhow as they don't have the AM they would preferably have behind Cavani. Moura, Lavezzi and Cavani up front like they played against Chelsea is not very balanced at all as all of them are runners who needs a playmaker to constantly find them. I think Blanc made a big tactical error, which he has made before and probably will make again.

if they got a good manager who had vision, they would be class. With verratti they have the best passer in the world. I think their dominance in france gives them a sort of false sense of security and then when they play in the CL they get found wanting.

I think as well they have too many chiefs and not enough Indians.

PSG has been a better club than us if we just go by the last two years and they have a better squad. They have not just won their league but reached far in the Champions League unlike the others you mention. Like I said none of our offensive players would get in to their first eleven whereas four of their bench options would get in to our first eleven. Talking shit about players for joining a club with a better squad, who performed better the last two years, who offers more money is just stupid. How can you possibly hold it against the players? It is a fair choice to make by them.

The real issue was the players who joined before the foundation had been set, when they were still not in the Champions League and didn't really have a good squad either.

Your the only one talking shit. You don't seem to understand the difference between a team and a club:wenger:
Don't quote my post if your not going to read it properly. You are on about the squad? I'm on about the joke of a club PSG are and how rubbish the french league is. It's not all about money for a player you know. They will be banned from the CL if they don't abide by FFP eventually. You make them sound invincible or unlucky in the CL competition. My original post was about PSG as a club and how many go there for financial reasons.
Any player that want's to go to P$G over United is clearly going for money. A crap club french club formed in 1970. With there glowing European success of winning the cup winners cup and Intertoto cup, wow. They attract players with the opportunity of the living in Paris and getting big wages. Playing in that dirt french league. La Liga and the premier league are the best worldwide, anything else is a step down. P$G will not win the Champions league for a long time. It's a team playing in a low standard league that's not competitive. Seems to be a common trend with players from Argentinian following the money. Tevez, Aguero(City), Garay(Zenit), Pastore(PSG) to name a few.

How on earth is Kagawa a marquee signing?

We have had two marquee signings in the last 10 years. Veronica and RVP.

Shaw and Herrera are certainly not 'big' signings. Exciting though, if combined with two or three big instant hitters.

I'd say Kagawa was marquee, he was a very exciting player at the time we bought him. Dortmund had just won their second bundesliga title in a row and kagawa was seen as one of the most important players of that Dortmund side. I remember being very happy about the fact that we got him and I found we did a great piece of business brining him at such a low price. At that time I was also convinced kagawa was the better player compared to Hazard, being further in his development and playing on a higher level, he also had fantastic stats to back that all up. I'd definitley consider him to be marquee, just not expensive and ofcourse it hasn't worked out for him at United (yet).

I'd say Kagawa was marquee, he was a very exciting player at the time we bought him. Dortmund had just won their second bundesliga title in a row and kagawa was seen as one of the most important players of that Dortmund side. I remember being very happy about the fact that we got him and I found we did a great piece of business brining him at such a low price. At that time I was also convinced kagawa was the better player compared to Hazard, being further in his development and playing on a higher level, he also had fantastic stats to back that all up. I'd definitley consider him to be marquee, just not expensive and ofcourse it hasn't worked out for him at United (yet).
Yeah agree I was excited as well with his signing, also he turned down Madrid to join us..

Hopefully this di Maria talk can be put to bed soon now the World Cup is over.

if they got a good manager who had vision, they would be class. With verratti they have the best passer in the world. I think their dominance in france gives them a sort of false sense of security and then when they play in the CL they get found wanting.

I believe they so too. Blanc has been their best manager so far, better than Ancelotti as well, but their most important signing is to sign one of the worlds best managers. They have such a magnificent squad which I don't think they are getting enough out of. Like you say Verratti is a young talent, still 21, and already a top class midfielder with an outstanding passing range.

I think that they will actually improve once Zlatan retires as Cavani is a nailed on started on the right side which may be one of their biggest offensive weaknesses. Then they will be able to build a team completely around Cavani instead who as a player much easily replaced if he is injured as his playing style is pretty basic while of course being world class still. I don't think Zlatan has the work rate these days to be able to play in a team which wins the Champions League. Usually you need a team which clicks defensively really well rather than one which clicks offensively which is PSG's issue.

Scoring three against Barcelona and Chelsea is very impressive, but conceding three is the opposite.

I'm not sure if I should feel bad when I see the pictures of his teary eyes...or if he deserves it because he's off to PSG.

But then I think if the idea is Rodriguez goes to Madrid, why would Monaco just bend over when they become significantly weaker whilst PSG benefit?

They'd have beaten Chelsea if Cavani hadn't had a nervous fecking breakdown in front of net during the 2nd leg. They have cash, 2 of the best young midfielders in the game in Matuidi and Verrati, Zlatan and a lot of other talent up front and Silva at the back. They'll keep spending, buy some fullbacks, get another start or two for the front 6.

Even next year, the stamina and ability of players like Matuidi, Lucas, Lavezzi and, if they get him, Di Maria, will be perfect for that competition.

The speculation that di Maria has chosen PSG started when allegedly the PSG owner was spotted in Madrid which was reported on a radio show. People on twitter went nuts about the story and the following day it made into the pages of AS. The AS story is doing the rounds in France now.

According to our colleagues at L’Equipe, PSG are yet to find an agreement for the transfer of Real Madrid’s Angel di Maria, contrary to reports from Spain yesterday.

Talks have begun again between the two parties, but the newspaper believes that the player has a preference for the Premier League.

Looks like more of the same uninspiring wing play for another season :(

Who else in the league would be after him?

Arsenal just signed Sanchez.
Chelsea have loads of players in his positions.
City? Maybe, but they seem to be taking FFP seriously.
Liverpool - not sure they'd pay him the money he'd want, or if they'd pay Madrid the money they'd want.

If he was to come to England I can only see him signing for us. Trying not to be biased here.

Who else in the league would be after him?

Arsenal just signed Sanchez.
Chelsea have loads of players in his positions.
City? Maybe, but they seem to be taking FFP seriously.
Liverpool - not sure they'd pay him the money he'd want, or if they'd pay Madrid the money they'd want.

If he was to come to England I can only see him signing for us. Trying not to be biased here.

Paris Saint-Germainhave been surprised by the reports over a deal for Ángel di María. They don't deny their interest and it wouldn't be a shock if the midfielder, who is desperate to leave Real, had held talks with the French club, but there is a long way to go until any move happens.

For starters, Florentino Pérez and the PSG president, Nasser Al-Khelaïfi, have a gentleman's agreement in place reached during their meeting in Spain, stipulating that the Paris club wouldn't finalise terms with Di María without Real's blessing.

Over and beyond that, UEFA and the looming shadow of Financial Fair Play represent a major stumbling block for PSG. Following the sanction the club was hit with at the end of last season, the Parisians knew their maximum net spend for the summer was €50 million - a figure they've already surpassed with the signing of David Luiz from Chelsea. This means that they now have to sell before they can buy in order to balance the books in terms of both transfer fees and wages.

Against this backdrop, it is anybody's guess how PSG think they can come up with the €60 million required to land Di María without offloading any of their star names. Sources close to the club have assured MARCA that none of Lucas Moura, Marco Verratti, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Edinson Cavani, Marquinhos or Thiago Silva are for sale.

Read more:PSG's Di María hopes halted by FFP - MARCA.com (English version)

Was always going to happen. Still they'll sell Moura and Marquinhos to fund Di Maria but let's see.

I don't see us spending 60 million euros + massive wages they are offering to Di Maria anyway so meh.

We should take Moura if they are desperate to raise cash.

Wow. Bold statement there NNW.

And leave the chief out of this or he'll engage you in multi-quote battles galore. ;)

L'equipe and Marca are both running with with similar stories, only difference L'equipe is saying he prefers EPL...

Who else in England would be interested in Di Maria?

Arsenal just signed Sanchez, Chelsea have Willian and Schurrle, City have Navas and Nasri and I can't see him going to Liverpool they've also signed Markovic

If not us, I think Liverpool have a very good chance of getting him.

That would be the worst news for us if he goes there of all places, especially when we will have to knock one of those 4 teams down to get back into the Champions League.

Status
Not open for further replies.