Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shaw & Herrera are in no way marquee signings.

I agree. We also over paid for them.

They are good players and I'm happy we have them, but they're not Sanchez, Ozil, Aguero and Costa. Those are marquee signings. Apart from Kagawa and Veron, we don't have a history of foreign marquee players outside of the Prem coming here anyway.

What are next week's lottery numbers?

I remember that and I think its no coincidence we're linked with Di Maria and Vidal, who also had stories about liking United.

Is that going to translate to them choosing us right now over another european club? Probably not.

Would be great if it did, but its a bit of a pipedream.

Next week's lottery? It's wiser to keep your money then chase a pipe dream ;)

I agree. We also over paid for them.

They are good players and I'm happy we have them, but they're not Sanchez, Ozil, Aguero and Costa. Those are marquee signings. Apart from Kagawa and Veron, we don't have a history of foreign marquee players outside of the Prem coming here anyway.

No they are the sort of solid signing we should have been making for the last few years, and because we didn't we have had to overpay, lesson learnt I hope.

Agreed.

They're very much in line with the kind of people United buy. And our "marquees" are almost always rival 'star' PL players, already acclimatised to England.

Vidal AND Di Maria would be an incredible coup, but I'd be surprised/impressed simply because they are completely at odds with the kind of transfers we usually pull off.

PSG are a far more attractive proposition then United thesedays. I really don't get all this but hurt attitude and 'oh well he's just a mercenary' crap spouted if he goes there. The only things we can offer that PSG can't right now is a better history (which barely any player really cares about thesedays anyways) and the chance to play in the PL. Everything else, wages, better city, more chance of winning trophies, CL football, a club with huge investment and backing, a club going forward...its not really that baffling why he'd go there.

PSG are a far more attractive proposition then United thesedays. I really don't get all this but hurt attitude and 'oh well he's just a mercenary' crap spouted if he goes there. The only things we can offer that PSG can't right now is a better history (which barely any player really cares about thesedays anyways) and the chance to play in the PL. Everything else, wages, better city, more chance of winning trophies, CL football, a club with huge investment and backing, a club going forward...its not really that baffling why he'd go there.

They won't win the CL anytime soon. Ligue 1 is also a very boring league. Fair enough you have Paris and the money but then you can question someone's mentality if they are choosing PSG over a top English side.

They won't win the CL anytime soon. Ligue 1 is also a very boring league. Fair enough you have Paris and the money but then you can question someone's mentality if they are choosing PSG over a top English side.

They've got a far better chance of winning it then us!

PSG are overrated. They're a good team but they won't do it in Europe. City wont do shit in Europe either.
They are more than a good team. They have some quality players they just need a better manager to get the best out of them, they've got a number of players who'd walk into our team.

They are more than a good team. They have some quality players they just need a better manager to get the best out of them, they've got a number of players who'd walk into our team.

Manchester City are better than PSG. Do you see Manchester City winning the CL anytime soon?

Players moving to PSG and Monaco are wasting their time if they are going there with the hope of winning the CL (Most of them are there for the money). It won't happen. At least with players joining City you can say they have a good chance of winning the Premier League. Ligue 1 is dire.

PSG are overrated. They're a good team but they won't do it in Europe. City wont do shit in Europe either.

I'm sorry, but this is complete nonsense. With the money and investment both clubs have, they'll get it right eventually. Don't forget, it took a good while for Fergie to get it right, and he didn't have anywhere near the kind of financial muscle these clubs have.

I think far to many people don't want to see or accept that clubs like PSG and especially City (for obvious reasons) are becoming/have become top clubs, and are just burying their head in the sand, pretending it's not happening. But it is, City have already won the league twice, and reached the QF of the CL. They (and PSG) are only going one way, and thats up.

Any player that want's to go to P$G over United is clearly going for money. A crap club french club formed in 1970. With there glowing European success of winning the cup winners cup and Intertoto cup, wow. They attract players with the opportunity of the living in Paris and getting big wages. Playing in that dirt french league. La Liga and the premier league are the best worldwide, anything else is a step down. P$G will not win the Champions league for a long time. It's a team playing in a low standard league that's not competitive. Seems to be a common trend with players from Argentinian following the money. Tevez, Aguero(City), Garay(Zenit), Pastore(PSG) to name a few.

Any player that want's to go to P$G over United is clearly going for money. A crap club french club formed in 1970. With there glowing European success of winning the cup winners cup and Intertoto cup, wow. They attract players with the opportunity of the living in Paris and getting big wages. Playing in that dirt french league. La Liga and the premier league are the best worldwide, anything else is a step down. P$G will not win the Champions league for a long time. It's a team playing in a low standard league that's not competitive. Seems to be a common trend with players from Argentinian following the money. Tevez, Aguero(City), Garay(Zenit), Pastore(PSG) to name a few.

Completely disagree with your point; United are not even in the CL, how can you say that the only reason he's choosing PSG over is money? And PSG have got a decent team right now (let's forget about Luiz), and have done quite well in the past 2 CL campaigns, why will they not win it for a long time?

I must have missed that massive barren period that United have had. Let's be serious we have had a poor season last year. We have started to rectify some problem areas. 1 or 2 more purchases and we will be title contenders. Other than Bayern there isnt a league which has a guaranteed winner. Being that marquee signing for United puts the player in a very good position to win domestically. CL is not often won by the favourite.

Manchester City are better than PSG. Do you see Manchester City winning the CL anytime soon?

Players moving to PSG and Monaco are wasting their time if they are going there with the hope of winning the CL (Most of them are there for the money). It won't happen. At least with players joining City you can say they have a good chance of winning the Premier League. Ligue 1 is dire.
That's arguable. I remember PSG matching Barcelona in 2013, while City were outplayed last season.

------Zlatan------
------Cavani-----
DiMaria---------Lucas
--Matuidi-Verrati
Digne--------VanDerWiel
---Silva--Luiz----
------Sirigu------

and players like Lavezzi, Cabaye, Motta and Marquinhos as depth. If their young fullbacks develop, they'll be tough to handle. Cavani, Di Maria and Matuidi is just an absurd amount of stamina and running. If Blanc can get things right, they'll be a handful for anyon.

I wouldn't agree with that. City have done nothing in Europe. Were in an easy group last season and lost to Barca. Conceded 14 goals in 8 games. PSG went out to Chelsea on away goals after conceding on the 87th minuted. The season before they also lost on away goals in the quarter finals, to Barcelona. You know how badly City did. The Champions League is the only direct comparison you can make between the teams and so far PSG have been better in every way.

------Zlatan------
------Cavani-----
DiMaria---------Lucas
--Matuidi-Verrati
Digne--------VanDerWiel
---Silva--Luiz----
------Sirigu------

and players like Lavezzi, Cabaye, Motta and Marquinhos as depth. If their young fullbacks develop, they'll be tough to handle. Cavani, Di Maria and Matuidi is just an absurd amount of stamina and running. If Blanc can get things right, they'll be a handful for anyon.

Lucas is in and out of the team, Cavani is forced to play wide and they have played with 3 CM's. Their defence is not great either.

I wouldn't agree with that. City have done nothing in Europe. Were in an easy group last season and lost to Barca. Conceded 14 goals in 8 games. PSG went out to Chelsea on away goals after conceding on the 87th minuted. The season before they also lost on away goals in the quarter finals, to Barcelona. You know how badly City did. The Champions League is the only direct comparison you can make between the teams and so far PSG have been better in every way.

PSG were very poor in the second leg against Chelsea. They did play well against Barca though.

If City and PSG met, City would win IMO. They have a better first eleven.

Last edited:

Pretty dumb thing to say. Sure it was true some years ago but now PSG are already one of the top clubs in the world getting to the Quarter Finals two years in a row in the champions league. They got sent out by Chelsea because Zlatan couldn't play the second leg after they won the first leg comfortably and they ended up going out on away goals. They went out a year earlier on away goals against Barcelona as well.

They continue to develop as well, so Quarter finals is not very likely to be the furthest they will reach in the future so why wouldn't a player want to go there? The league has Monaco now too who are big spenders and just reached the Champions League and with the right investments they can get past the group stage as well. In England you aren't guaranteed to get Champions League football these days no matter which team you choose to play for as the competition is so hard.

I would prefer to join a club where you know that the team is moving forward and the Champions League football is nearly guaranteed. PSG are two world class full-backs from having one of the best teams in the world. I'd say they have a better team than us right now and their midfield and front line has much more harmony than ours.

PSG's most played eleven last year:

Lavezzi-Zlatan-Cavani
Matuidi-Motta-Verratti

They have Moura, Cabaye, Pastore and Marquinho on the bench who all would walk in to our first eleven. Arguably we don't have a single player who would walk in to their first eleven of the offensive and midfield options for the current formation/tactics. Mata would be the exception if they changed their formation.

It's not hard to see the attraction with PSG. The league is shit but money, Paris and good team mates are attractive.

How on earth is Kagawa a marquee signing?

We have had two marquee signings in the last 10 years. Veronica and RVP.

Shaw and Herrera are certainly not 'big' signings. Exciting though, if combined with two or three big instant hitters.

How on earth is Kagawa a marquee signing?

We have had two marquee signings in the last 10 years. Veronica and RVP.

Shaw and Herrera are certainly not 'big' signings. Exciting though, if combined with two or three big instant hitters.
Mata counts, surely?

But yeah, in general we haven't tended to go for marquee signings. We are though under a completely new management structure both in terms of the team and club as a whole, not to mention that we find ourselves in a position on the footballing side that we've not found ourselves in for about 2 decades. We've got cash rolling about and need to make a statement or two.

Pretty dumb thing to say. Sure it was true some years ago but now PSG are already one of the top clubs in the world getting to the Quarter Finals two years in a row in the champions league. They got sent out by Chelsea because Zlatan couldn't play the second leg after they won the first leg comfortably and they ended up going out on away goals. They went out a year earlier on away goals against Barcelona as well.

They continue to develop as well, so Quarter finals is not very likely to be the furthest they will reach in the future so why wouldn't a player want to go there? The league has Monaco now too who are big spenders and just reached the Champions League and with the right investments they can get past the group stage as well. In England you aren't guaranteed to get Champions League football these days no matter which team you choose to play for as the competition is so hard.

I would prefer to join a club where you know that the team is moving forward and the Champions League football is nearly guaranteed. PSG are two world class full-backs from having one of the best teams in the world. I'd say they have a better team than us right now and their midfield and front line has much more harmony than ours.

PSG's most played eleven last year:

Lavezzi-Zlatan-Cavani
Matuidi-Motta-Verratti

They have Moura, Cabaye, Pastore and Marquinho on the bench who all would walk in to our first eleven. Arguably we don't have a single player who would walk in to their first eleven of the offensive and midfield options for the current formation/tactics. Mata would be the exception if they changed their formation.

they got taught a lesson in team spirit by chelsea. When i look at psg is see a group of talented individuals. They are not a team (yet!)

Lucas is in and out of the team, Cavani is forced to play wide and they have played with 3 CM's. Their defence is not great either.

They have the best CB in the world in Silva. He'll carry Luiz or Marquinhos and they'll form a good CB pairing. The fullbacks are for sure a weak spot, but Digne has talent, and they'll probably just buy a top fullback soon anyways.

Cavani played on the right, but Di Maria, Matuidi and whichever of Lucas or Lavezzi is playing, along with the fullbacks give you enough width that he can probably play more centrally. He's not brilliant there, but his running and physical style as a 10 will help in the CL, as it does for Uruguay where he does the work and Suarez gets the chances.

Mata counts, surely?

But yeah, in general we haven't tended to go for marquee signings. We are though under a completely new management structure both in terms of the team and club as a whole, not to mention that we find ourselves in a position on the footballing side that we've not found ourselves in for about 2 decades. We've got cash rolling about and need to make a statement or two.

Since 2009 I agree, and look where we are now? 7th with perhaps the worst midfield we have had since 04

Barca and bayern exposed how poor the united midfield truly was. And played an ageing Carrick and fletcher who are not a midfield pairing that will dominate games

They have the best CB in the world in Silva. He'll carry Luiz or Marquinhos and they'll form a good CB pairing. The fullbacks are for sure a weak spot, but Digne has talent, and they'll probably just buy a top fullback soon anyways.

Cavani played on the right, but Di Maria, Matuidi and whichever of Lucas or Lavezzi is playing, along with the fullbacks give you enough width that he can probably play more centrally. He's not brilliant there, but his running and physical style as a 10 will help in the CL, as it does for Uruguay where he does the work and Suarez gets the chances.

Silva will carry them in the league where they have possession most of the time, allowing Luiz to run around like a fanny. Cavani plays wide because the manager wants 3 CM's in the team. So I doubt he will play more centrally.
I also doubt they even make it to a CL final in the next couple years. They'll get knocked out when they come across a big team.

I guess Mata is a marquee signing for us. For other clubs he wouldn't count as one though.

The twice player of the year of a Champions League winning club who is also a Spanish attacking midfielder, wouldn't be a marquee signing for other clubs :lol:

Like RVP, Berbatov, Rooney, Ferdinand, Carrick etc.

Even Tevez was technically poached from a PL club.
Fergie liked doing it that way though. Of late, anyway. Moyes tried to do the same and just...sort of melted. We've now got a foreign manager and a will to spend (reportedly, at any rate), so who knows how we'll behave now.

Status
Not open for further replies.