Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whilst the french league is crap, you can still understand why he'd pick PSG given they're a club in the champions league with a few other Argentinians already there. It's annoying and he'd have been a fantastic signing, but we're going to have to grin and bear our reputation having dimmed of late.

Slight over the top reaction. If a decision on a football basis were to be made then there is nothing to either consider between the two clubs. It just so happens PSG unlimited funds, the prize of champions league football this current season and the luxury of being based in a beautiful City. On the other hand though signing for a club like PSG for me is a sign of a players ambition and motives.

How can you possibly question his ambition if he chooses PSG over United?

At PSG he could be ambitious enough to try and win the champions league. He just helped Real Madrid do it afterall

At United he can't even play in the competition.

More-over, even if we were in the competition they have a better team than we do and would still be more likely

At PSG he could be ambitious enough to try and win the champions league. He just helped Real Madrid do it afterall

More-over, even if we were in the competition they have a better team than we do and would still be more likely

Choosing a dead league like the French over the Premier League where every week you'll get tested. Not to mention PSG aren't close to us in terms of stature and history.

Yes, PSG are in the Champions League next season and will be forever given the level of competition they face that along with absurd wages and lifestyle that's the only thing they have on us and anyway what's to say we won't be back in the be all and end all next season?

Signing for PSG/Monaco is money motivated as far as I'm concerned. Can I blame them? No.. would I myself follow them? Absolutely. It hurts because the team I follow are missing out on the best players because of it.

Yes BUT in the PL he would be playing strong teams week in week out with big managers like Mourinho, Peligrini, Wenger, Rogers whereas in France he would be playing shit teams with shit refereeing week in week out.

The only highlight of his year at PSG would be the CL quarterfinals, and if they lose it it's another year lost.

Transfers like this one, you just hope helps the next one.

Manchester United always do too much negotiating. If Juventus want £42m for Vidal just fecking pay it, stop fart arsing around trying to get him for £38m for weeks on end or another club will come in and be happy to pay £42m and Manchester United lose out again.

Clubs must hate it when United go in for players, they'll be like "here's a Manchester United representative, lets get ready to sit around a table for 80 hours"

bored.jpg

Manchester United always do too much negotiating. If Juventus want £42m for Vidal just fecking pay it, stop fart arsing around trying to get him for £38m for weeks on end or another club will come in and be happy to pay £42m and Manchester United lose out again.

Clubs must hate it when United go in for players, they'll be like "here's a Manchester United representative, lets get ready to sit around a table for 80 hours"

bored.jpg
By all accounts, Juventus don't want or need to sell him. Its all uphill from that point, in terms of negotiation.

To a certain extent I agree, by the time di maria plays in the champions league knock out stage, he will be 28, we have to wait 2 years to hope to win it, and even then there is no guarantee we will get in the top 4.

How about we're a bigger club Ekeke? How about having a desire to play in a league that's actually a challenge?...

Whilst the french league is crap, you can still understand why he'd pick PSG given they're a club in the champions league with a few other Argentinians already there. It's annoying and he'd have been a fantastic signing, but we're going to have to grin and bear our reputation having dimmed of late.

The reason that all of the people on the PSG forums are giving is that Paris is, essentially, a nicer place than Manchester and also that they will offer more money. They admit that we are a bigger club in a better league, but they know they are desirable.

Last edited:
How about we're a bigger club Ekeke? How about having a desire to play in a league that's actually a challenge?...

Players don't care who's dick is the biggest, all they care about is £$£$£ and their lifestyle outside football.

And to be fair so would I and i suspect many more would even if they don't admit it, these are millionaire footballers, how many people have said they would leave England if they won the lotto? I know i certainly would, i certainly wouldn't want to be a millionaire and live in Manchester, having chavs outside your property like Rooney had to put up with:-

RooneyHouse_01_71231c.jpg

Respect to overseas players like RVP who have chosen Manchester United over other citys and more money.

The reason that all of the people on the PSG forums are giving is that Paris is, essentially, a nice place than Manchester and also that they will offer more money. They admit that we are a bigger club in a better league, but they know they are desirable.

It's all opinions. It's easy to say Paris is 'nicer' but some people would prefer Manchester :)

Why do people bang on about the league. At PS you win titles, play in Europe and get big wages also you get to play with good players and live in a beautiful City. I thin fans need to put themselves in the shoes of the players. Most of their wives and partners would be VERY happy in Paris and Monaco too.

I think this is bang on.

Choosing a dead league like the French over the Premier League where every week you'll get tested. Not to mention PSG aren't close to us in terms of stature and history.

Yes, PSG are in the Champions League next season and will be forever given the level of competition they face that along with absurd wages and lifestyle that's the only thing they have on us and anyway what's to say we won't be back in the be all and end all next season?

Signing for PSG/Monaco is money motivated as far as I'm concerned. Can I blame them? No.. would I myself follow them? Absolutely. It hurts because the team I follow are missing out on the best players because of it.

PSG and Monaco are completely different. Half of Monaco's team is rather average and the stars are always being linked with moves away. Yes moving there is obviously about the money.

PSG have a good team and with a few additions can compete to win the champions league.

At this current moment we're closer to Monaco than PSG. We wont win the league, we cant offer champions league football and the signings we manage to secure are mostly because we offered more money than other parties interested. We paid more for Shaw than others were willing and we paid Ander's release clause, which other teams werent willing to do. Its no surprise, thats the reality of our current situation

A bit disappointed but I feel if Fergie was our manager we wouldn't be considering this signing and be giving Januzaj a proper chance next season.

Januzai would be getting a chance. It's the other appalling wingers of the the last two years that he'd replace.

You think an Argentinian sees us as a bigger club? He does have a desire to play in a league thats actually a challenge. Its called the Champions League and we're not in it

I have a certain jealous (but mostly patronising) admiration for people who genuinely think we, a club who rarely ever sign marquee foreign players, will sign two, the season we're not playing any kind of European football.

Keep fighting the good but inevitably doomed fight guys.

You think an Argentinian sees us as a bigger club? He does have a desire to play in a league thats actually a challenge. Its called the Champions League and we're not in it

Why wouldn't an Argentinan see us as a bigger club because that's what we are.
We'll see where he ends up.

I have a certain jealous (but mostly patronising) admiration for people who genuinely think we, a club who rarely ever sign marquee foreign players, will sign two, the season we're not playing any kind of European football.

What will you think if we do, Mockers ?

Players don't care who's dick is the biggest, all they care about is £$£$£ and their lifestyle outside football.

And to be fair so would I and i suspect many more would even if they don't admit it, these are millionaire footballers, how many people have said they would leave England if they won the lotto? I know i certainly would, i certainly wouldn't want to be a millionaire and live in Manchester, having chavs outside your property like Rooney had to put up with:-

RooneyHouse_01_71231c.jpg

Respect to overseas players like RVP who have chosen Manchester United over other citys and more money.

Given a chance I'd live in Manchester and play for Manchester United

After the season we had, all the talks by the owners, the signing of LVG plus the last 3 additions to our side indicates that this summer would be different.
I think the odds to sign more than one marquee player this summer are the best we've ever had and I trust in LVG.
Be pessimistic all you like but I think the club will make great strides in a positive direction this summer.

What will you think if we do, Mockers ?

I'll be giddy as a schoolgirl. Largely thanks to my conviction that getting both Vidal & Di Maria seems so incredibly unlikely.

After the season we had, all the talks by the owners, the signing of LVG plus the last 3 additions to our side indicates that this summer would be different.
I think the odds to sign more than one marquee player this summer are the best we've ever had and I trust in LVG.
Be pessimistic all you like but I think the club will make great strides in a positive direction this summer.

LVG is a marquee manager, but Shaw and Herrera fit very much into the category of player we sign. One is a potentially great, but largely overlooked player we've been chasing for a year and no one else was in for, and the other is an English player we've overpaid for.

Both of these are bang on United signings. Vidal and DiMaria less so....I think we could get one, but both? I'd be amazed tbh.

Why wouldn't an Argentinan see us as a bigger club because that's what we are.
We'll see where he ends up.

Because he will evaluate it on what he sees right now. Do you think he really cares that we've won the league more often in a league he doesn't care about and has never had an involvement in? Or that we've won the champions league and they havent?

Do you think that'll keep him awake at night or something?

bored.jpg
Yes, but haven't you worked out how clubs like PSG do business yet? Let other clubs, like us, do all the running and once it's been established that the selling club is willing to sell for £Xm and the player is willing to move for £Ym wages, they just come in and pay (X + Y) x 1.25

I wouldn't blame him if he goes to PSG. Paris, huge salary, champions league, his friends... and they're probably stronger than us. besides, he already won the champions league with the biggest european club and he could even win the world cup today. and that's it, there's all you can win in football, he has nothing to prove anymore. I doubt he'll lose sleep because he wasn't tested in premier league.

Because he will evaluate it on what he sees right now. Do you think he really cares that we've won the league more often in a league he doesn't care about and has never had an involvement in? Or that we've won the champions league and they havent?

Tbf, I think United are bigger in South America than you give us credit for. We had a very noticeable presence in Brazil. Surprised me in fact. The very first thing you see when you get off the plane in Rio is a huge Hublot advert for Man United

That said I largely agree. If our history teaches us anything it's that the second a team with more money in a hotter/more fashionable place comes in, we bow out. As far back as Ronaldinho. And we were unquestionably bigger than Barca at that point

Tbf, I think United are bigger in South America than you give us credit for. We had a very noticeable presence in Brazil. Surprised me in fact. The very first thing you see when you get off the plane in Rio is a huge Hublot advert for Man United.

I'm sure he has a decent idea of our history, and it might slightly pass through his mind as he joyfully puts pen to paper on a PSG contract.

The amount being quoted is ridiculous. Rather go for Reus next year (provided we qualify for CL).

Not really sure what keeps di Maria awake at night. What I'm sure of is we'll get a top tier winger before September.
Our transfer activity has been on point so far and I'm sure woodie/LVG have things under control.

Doubt the CL place was the main attraction given the crazy salary they seem to be paying, but if it was & FIFA get their finger out it could his last season in there for a while, unlikely I know but surely they have to do something as they are blatantly ignoring the rules.

Old interview when he was with Benfica.

“Since I was 13 or 14 years old, I’ve been telling my mother and my father that my dream is to play some day for Manchester United.
“And I won’t stop till I get it.

“When I watch [Wayne] Rooney and all of them on TV, I can’t wait to play there at Old Trafford.

“When I was a little boy I watched Arsenal games as well, but Manchester United always dazzled me most.”

1 year we're not in it......and PSG won't be winning it anytime soon. You can't buy team spirt. I would think most people would know we're a bigger club then PSG yes....

1 year we're not in it......and PSG won't be winning it anytime soon. You can't buy team spirt. I would think most people would know we're a bigger club then PSG yes....

What are next week's lottery numbers?
Old interview when he was with Benfica.

“Since I was 13 or 14 years old, I’ve been telling my mother and my father that my dream is to play some day for Manchester United.
“And I won’t stop till I get it.

“When I watch [Wayne] Rooney and all of them on TV, I can’t wait to play there at Old Trafford.

“When I was a little boy I watched Arsenal games as well, but Manchester United always dazzled me most.”

I remember that and I think its no coincidence we're linked with Di Maria and Vidal, who also had stories about liking United.

Is that going to translate to them choosing us right now over another european club? Probably not.

Would be great if it did, but its a bit of a pipedream.

From a neutral point of view I can fully understand a 26 year old who has already won everything with RM choosing PSG ahead of United:

better city, better weather, better food, better chance of winning the CL next season, at least as much if not more money than United are offering, star players left, right, centre, already Argentinian/South American players there. And although the league is weaker than the PL, it's still a strong league, it's not like he is going to the MLS or China ffs!

If I wasn't a United fan and had a similar job offer from a company in Manchester and Paris, I probably wouldn't even read the Manchester offer till the end. Some ppl really need to take the player's perspective at times and not that of a fan. We all love United, but Di Maria has no reason to, it's not even like we had an Argentinian legend at the club who Di Maria might want to follow.

Yes but he is just talking reality tbh.
We overrate our history to south american players and how much money talks.

I would have been in agreement with him but the moves we have made in the last year indicate that we operating differently now.
I'm sure after Shaw and Herrera there will be other signings of a marquee nature.
Whether the impetus for splashing the cash comes from woodie or Adidas.... I think much more money will be spent by us this summer.

Why do people bang on about the league. At PS you win titles, play in Europe and get big wages also you get to play with good players and live in a beautiful City. I thin fans need to put themselves in the shoes of the players. Most of their wives and partners would be VERY happy in Paris and Monaco too.

Because most who say this arent living there.

They forget that players are people and there are other reasons for joining a club than simply just 'the club'.

Where would you rather live, Manchester or Paris( or even Manchester or London for that matter)?

I would have been in agreement with him but the moves we have made in the last year indicate that we operating differently now.
I'm sure after Shaw and Herrera there will be other signings of a marquee nature.
Whether the impetus for splashing the cash comes from woodie or Adidas.... I think much more money will be spent by us this summer.

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but I think Ander and Shaw's deals show us exactly what we need to do in the current market in our current situation

We got Shaw because we were willing to pay a high fee. Who else was in for him at £28 million? I hope it works out, because he's a quality player and could be our best ever leftback but we managed to secure a domestic youngplayer because we offered more money than anyone else.

Bilbao werent interested in letting Ander go. The only way to sign him was activating his buyout clause and we were the one club interested in doing that. Again, we signed him because nobody else was willing to pay that for him.

If PSG are offering 70 million euros for Di Maria and we offer 80 and Real Madrid refuse to let him go for less, sure we could secure him. But in all likelyhood PSG will just match any offer we make because unlike Shaw and Ander, he's one of the world's best and top clubs would love to have him.

Status
Not open for further replies.