Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd much rather we get a player who shone at real over one that hasnt as PSG...

Di Maria has been the bench option mate as a winger this season until he was converted. If we intend to buy Di Maria and use him in the position he has shined in which is as a third midfielder then I am all for it. But as a winger Di Maria hasn't shined at all at Real Madrid in fact in Mourinho's last season he played quite poorly from out wide which is why they went and replaced him. He had less than half the dribbles of Moura and Di Maria had 72% passing success rate whereas Moura had 88%.

Moura had 17 goals/assists in 18 starts and 18 sub appeareances and Di Maria had 13 goals/assists in 22 games and 10 sub appearances. Moura is two years older than Januzaj and Di Maria was in his peak years during that season.

Not saying that Moura is a better player because clearly he isn't, but Di Maria shouldn't be mentioned as one of the worlds best wingers because he isn't.

People have such short memories, Di Maria became world class when he was moved in centrally to provide a very unique role from the central midfield. Before that he wasn't considered to be a world-class player but more of a great complement to Ronaldo with his work rate.

He may well have played his best last season in central areas but it's not as if he turns into Bebe on the wing. Iirc he was very sought after at Benfica and although inconsistent would still be a great option for us on the wing. Just not convinced we should go to 'blank cheque' levels like with Vidal, but what's the alternative? Depay?

Di Maria has been the bench option mate as a winger this season until he was converted. If we intend to buy Di Maria and use him in the position he has shined in which is as a third midfielder then I am all for it. But as a winger Di Maria hasn't shined at all at Real Madrid in fact in Mourinho's last season he played quite poorly from out wide which is why they went and replaced him. He had less than half the dribbles of Moura and Di Maria had 72% passing success rate whereas Moura had 88%.

Moura had 17 goals/assists in 18 starts and 18 sub appeareances and Di Maria had 13 goals/assists in 22 games and 10 sub appearances. Moura is two years older than Januzaj and Di Maria was in his peak years during that season.

Not saying that Moura is a better player because clearly he isn't, but Di Maria shouldn't be mentioned as one of the worlds best wingers because he isn't.

People have such short memories, Di Maria became world class when he was moved in centrally to provide a very unique role from the central midfield. Before that he wasn't considered to be a world-class player but more of a great complement to Ronaldo with his work rate.

I do think we'll be paying 4-3-3 and Shaw and Rafael will be providing alot of the width.

He may well have played his best last season in central areas but it's not as if he turns into Bebe on the wing. Iirc he was very sought after at Benfica and although inconsistent would still be a great option for us on the wing. Just not convinced we should go to 'blank cheque' levels like with Vidal, but what's the alternative? Depay?

Arda Turan on the right.....

That seems a terribly speculative article.

Seems to suggest we cannot afford Di Maria for 60/70 million euros after buying Vidal.

Anyway, i'd rather pass on Di Maria at those prices and would take Vidal if there was straight choice anyway.

That seems a terribly speculative article.

Seems to suggest we cannot afford Di Maria for 60/70 million euros after buying Vidal.

Anyway, i'd rather pass on Di Maria at those prices and would take Vidal if there was straight choice anyway.

Pity they don't want Rooney....

A Madrid or Barca ''reject'' should be a massive attraction two us as it rules out the two clubs we have absolutely no chance of competing with for players.

A Madrid or Barca ''reject'' should be a massive attraction two us as it rules out the two clubs we have absolutely no chance of competing with for players.

If players had an IQ we would be competing with them. Huge sporting corporations like Addidas have such an IQ. They give us twice as much as Real Madrid in revenues......so its not our fault footballers are retarded?

This thread moves in circles.

Someone says he didn't want him because we already have plenty of attacking midfielders. Then he's quoted by someone else, " He was playing there only because Ancelotti asked him, he's a winger and a pretty good one".
Then he's quoted again by another poster " But he's a better midfielder". " but he doesn't track back" , " No, he tracks back a lot". It goes on and on.

And did someone say today that he's a box to box midfielder?:lol:

This thread is as weird as my post.

Last edited:
Would prefer Vidal. But I think Di Maria would add a new dimension to our attack.

Rather buy Vidal and Di Maria though even if we don't sign another CB. If those two just came in I'd be happy with our business.

It's time for Smalling, Jones and Keane to step up.

This thread moves in circles.

Someone says he didn't want him because we already have plenty of attacking midfielders. Then he's quoted by someone else, " He was playing there only because Ancelotti asked him, he's a winger and a pretty good one".
Then he's quoted again by another poster " But he's a better midfielder". " but he doesn't track back" , " No, he tracks back a lot". It goes on and on.

And did someone say today that he's a box to box midfielder?:lol:

This thread is as weird as my post.

It's packed to the brim with people who have seen a couple of tube vids and the odd El Classico/Real UCL match.

Looks like PSG will get their man. Wouldn't it be smart if we simply drummed up interest to get them to bid an insane fee thus pulling them out of the race for Pogba and thus allowing us to cement our bid for Vidal....illuminati shit.

Why not both? Why does it have to be one or the other, are we really that cheap? ffs

If I had to pick one, it would obviously be Vidal due to the current state of our midfield, but Wing options aren't all that either.

Why not both? Why does it have to be one or the other, are we really that cheap? ffs

If I had to pick one, it would obviously be Vidal due to the current state of our midfield, but Wing options aren't all that either.

I think we're more likely to sign Di Maria if we wrap up Vidal. It makes us an attractive proposition and an exciting project.

I think we're more likely to sign Di Maria if we wrap up Vidal. It makes us an attractive proposition and an exciting project.
Yep that is true, I wonder when we will actually sign these big names though, Surely the club would want to take them on tour with them?

I've wanted Vidal more than any other player on the planet. He is exactly what we have been needing in our midfield - some thrust and drive. I even think a midfield two of him and Herrera might work considering the way in which both of them move around so much. A midfield three of Vidal, Herrera and a DM for the tough matches and a midfield three of Vidal, Herrera and Mata for the easier ones. :drool:

Di Maria would give us pace again in our team, but our mf needs sorting first. We will get goals regardless of Di Maria if our midfield can provide again.

I've wanted Vidal more than any other player on the planet. He is exactly what we have been needing in our midfield - some thrust and drive. I even think a midfield two of him and Herrera might work considering the way in which both of them move around so much. A midfield three of Vidal, Herrera and a DM for the tough matches and a midfield three of Vidal, Herrera and Mata for the easier ones. :drool:

Di Maria would give us pace again in our team, but our mf needs sorting first. We will get goals regardless of Di Maria if our midfield can provide again.

You don't need a good midfield to win the league though, we have proven that over the last few years. What we do need is fire-power! Which Di Maria will provide, it's always the team with most fire power that wins the league, so Di Maria is just as important as Vidal really.

You don't need a good midfield to win the league though, we have proven that over the last few years. What we do need is fire-power! Which Di Maria will provide, it's always the team with most fire power that wins the league, so Di Maria is just as important as Vidal really.
This

That is sort of true, but the biggest falling point for us last year was a lack of dynamism in mf that Vidal could offer. Too often Carrick and his midfield partner were too slow to pass the ball, so the target was then marked. It would mean we would pass in front of the other team with no penetration. None of our midfielders (bar Ando...) could beat a man. Vidal would offer us that penetration.

We can win without a good midfield, but in players like RVP, Rooney and Mata we have enough fire power up front, we just need to get the ball to them.

That's kind of bollocks though. Liverpool had the most firepower last season, did they win the league? I's also question whether we've had the most firepower in the last few seasons we've won it.

That's kind of bollocks though. Liverpool had the most firepower last season, did they win the league? I's also question whether we've had the most firepower in the last few seasons we've won it.

Check the Numbers... City scored more goals than Liverpool last season. And its not like they lack firepower.

How is it bollocks?

Well you have obviously been watching a different league to me, How on earth did Liverpool have the most fire-power last season? Man City had the most and they won the league!. Liverpool's was close but not enough, that's why they came second. Lack of Fire-power was also the reason Chelsea choked.

Man City boasted 4 brilliant strikers which included Augero, Dzeko, Negredo and Jovetic, they also had Navas, Nasri and Silva in forward roles with Toure and Fernandinho in behind, that's far more than Liverpool could field.

I'd agree with 2013, maybe we were lacking a bit then. But..

2011 we had Rooney, Hernandez and Berbatov all on 20 plus goals each, Nani and Valencia were immense as well.

2007-2009 we won a hat-rick of titles with Ronaldo, Tevez, Rooney and Berbatov who couldn't stop scoring.

Be great if we can get both. No Champions League football next season, I think Ed Woody knows we can't feck around this summer and risk no top 4 finish next season, that happens sponsors will be upset and as club (size of the club/future sponsorship deals) we'll be finished.

I'm pretty sure they said Miranda had signed for 30 million euros with us.

Jonathan Johnson ‏@Jon_LeGossip 14m
AS: Real Madrid's Angel di Maria will join PSG in the next few days for €60m after a deal was agreed. #PSG #RMCF
AS: The €60m Real Madrid receive from PSG for Angel di Maria will fund a move for Monaco's James Rodriguez who is valued at €85m. #ASM #RMCF
AS: PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi was actually in Madrid on Friday to meet Florentino Perez to discuss Angel di Maria deal. #RMCF #PSG
AS: Angel di Maria's preference for PSG over Manchester United swung it in PSG's favour. United now want Arturo Vidal #PSG #RMCF #MUFC #Juve

The days of not needing pace in our attacking players has never existed and never will. We are not going to fix all our woes in one window as Gary Neville also suggested this week. We need 7-8 players. If we get 4 top quality players in we have done brilliantly. We have 2. A CD and a DM agreed have to come next up. You have to be careful tho if your going big for Vidal. The boys in his prime years. Wasting even one of them because your pot wasnt big enough to bring in a much needed winger is a fecking waste of a prime year!

Pace is important. However one might argue whether we need the Kanchelskis type of player or whether pace can be distributed across the entire team. You see, in Fellaini-Carrick-Fletcher we've probably have the slowest CM in the club's history. The opponent's temptation to simply bypass the midfield by passing the ball quickly is too high.

What would happen if we have two quality CM who are excellent in ball possession and can close the gaps quickly? The opponents will see less of the ball, we would push the opponents in their box which gives less space to pacey players to act on. Under such circumstances qualities such as technique and creativity will be more important then pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.