Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't take much notice of some nobody's article in the Express. Worth about as much as those that claimed we agreed a deal - utter bollocks basically.

I'd be surprised if the likes of Di Maria or Vidal were wiling to sacrifice Champions League football to be honest.
Di Maria maybe, but Vidal hasn't exactly played in it seriously yet. They got knocked out in the group stage last season and the year before got knocked out pretty soon after the group stage I think.

I dont think where they've got to before matters at all.

Its all about their options now. Do they have a club interested in them that are in the champions league? In almost all situations both will have.

We could probably convince them to give up the champions league by offering them significantly more in wages. But our resources are not unlimited

I dont think where they've got to before matters at all.

Its all about their options now. Do they have a club interested in them that are in the champions league? In almost all situations both will have.

We could probably convince them to give up the champions league by offering them significantly more in wages. But our resources are not unlimited
But then, back when we were in the Champions League and, say, City weren't, we would have questioned the ambition of such players if they went there just because they were offered more money.

But then, back when we were in the Champions League and, say, City weren't, we would have questioned the ambition of such players if they went there just because they were offered more money.

Of course. And its not likely we'll offer more in wages than the clubs we're battling against for these types of players.

I'd be surprised if the likes of Di Maria or Vidal were wiling to sacrifice Champions League football to be honest.

Utter shit that I am sick of hearing. One season of no CL is absolutely insignificant. As always, money is number 1 along with chance of trophies in the near-future. Both can be good here.

Utter shit that I am sick of hearing. One season of no CL is absolutely insignificant. As always, money is number 1 along with chance of trophies in the near-future. Both can be good here.
No, it's not utter shit, and please have more respect. It is a factor - not as big a factor as money - but definitely a factor.

CL football should matter to a player if we were a club like West Ham, but we are not.

Do these players actually believe that we will not be back in the CL in 2015?

big wages and the chance to play for the biggest club in the biggest league in the world is worth one season of no CL football.

Neither Juventus or PSG is winning the CL.

One things for certain the first paper or site to have concrete information isn't going to be goal.com, yahoo sport or the bloody daily express. So I wouldn't treat any of those reports with respect.

The trouble with this is you can't guarantee that it will just be one season though.

We can all assume that we will fair better than last season, but with City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool all strengthening it's not a given.

The worlds top players will take this into consideration whether we like it or not.

Moyes tenure and subsequent failure will hurt our rebuild this summer.

The trouble with this is you can't guarantee that it will just be one season though.

We can all assume that we will fair better than last season, but with City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool all strengthening it's not a given.

The worlds top players will take this into consideration whether we like it or not.

Moyes tenure and subsequent failure will hurt our rebuild this summer.

Liverpool is shite.

Although I'd agree with people when they say he's not what we need, if PSG do wrap up the Di Maria signing, I'm expecting them to offer us Cavani.

There's no way they know that. He's a regular visitor to Madrid and he's also someone who Perez has been filmed with several times this year. They're supposed to have a "non-aggression" pact over each others players. It could be about Di Maria (assuming he's there), it could be about Verratti - it could be about a lot of things.

No, it's not utter shit, and please have more respect. It is a factor - not as big a factor as money - but definitely a factor.

I agree with KingMinger22. For a club with the quality and success Utd have, one season without CL would make no difference. The chances of us missing it next season are very low imo. Honestly, I don't think many players would care about it at all if the club's reputation and finances are comparable to Utd's.

Although I'd agree with people when they say he's not what we need, if PSG do wrap up the Di Maria signing, I'm expecting them to offer us Cavani.

We don't need cavani. We need an explosive winger.

A winger is much more important than a midfielder IMHO.

If I had to choose between a world class winger and Vidal, I would choose the winger.

That's the worst possible outcome from my perspective. It's not that I don't rate Cavani, I just don't see the point.

I agree with KingMinger22. For a club with the quality and success Utd have, one season without CL would make no difference. The chances of us missing it next season are very low imo. Honestly, I don't think many players would care about it at all if the club's reputation and finances are comparable to Utd's.
OK, but I still think it's a factor. Even if you want to bring everything back to money - Champions League means more exposure which means better commercial opportunities for the player. It doesn't mean we can't get the top players it just makes it that much more difficult and means that we have to pay higher wages (see Luke Shaw). IMO.

Buy Di Maria for 40 million and then expect us to pay 60 odd million for Cavanai? No thanks.

We don't need cavani. We need an explosive winger.

A winger is much more important than a midfielder IMHO.

If I had to choose between a world class winger and Vidal, I would choose the winger.

I would actually like both so take your point, although I'd choose Vidal over the winger myself. I also agree that we don't 'need' Cavani. But Woodward has reportedly been tracking him for a while (although maybe this was perhaps in anticipation of van Persie leaving if Moyes remained in charge) and PSG may see it as an opportunity to get more in line with FFP, which surely they'll need to do eventually. I'm not saying we'd take them up on it, but it wouldn't surprise me if they offered him to us.

That's the last right winger available. No way will we get Cuadrado.

Any other right wingers available?

Cheeky bid for Moura?

We have Valencia and Adnan who can play on the right as well. Nani is also still at the club. Not sure why that is a position in pressing need

We have Valencia and Adnan who can play on the right as well. Nani is also still at the club. Not sure why that is a position in pressing need

It was our weakest position last season alongside our awful CM. We'd resort to playing Mata on the right who would always drift in leaving an ocean of space on the right which allowed the opponents left back to push up the pitch and out number Rafa. If we played Valencia we'd look better defensively on the right but would also have no attacking threat from that wing.

We really lack a first team player in that position. It's a glaring weakness in our squad imo.

Man United never buy world class players from other leagues it seems for one reason or another. Was Veron the last one ?

Anyone saying that we need a winger more then a DM is well wrong. In the flanks we've got the likes of Januzaj, Valencia (ok he's been off form for quite some time but he can be quite useful to have around), Mata, Nani and young Zaha and Lingaard. In DM we've got a 33 year old, a player with chronic illness, the long ball merchant and a defender.

Let him go and have his mickey mouse football for a mickey mouse club. I am certain that the vast majority of these players who choose the likes of PSG over a Manchester United will regret it when their career's over. Our blip last season aside, we're a massive club you'd have to be insane to rule out completely unless you were already at a similar-sized club. There's about three in the world of comparable size. You have to question the intelligence of players like Di Maria.

Man United never buy world class players from other leagues it seems for one reason or another. Was Veron the last one ?
Shinji wasn't world class but he was certainly one of the best in Germany at the time.

Anyone saying that we need a winger more then a DM is well wrong. In the flanks we've got the likes of Januzaj, Valencia (ok he's been off form for quite some time but he can be quite useful to have around), Mata, Nani and young Zaha and Lingaard. In DM we've got a 33 year old, a player with chronic illness, the long ball merchant and a defender.

We need them both equally. They're joint top priorities for me and both need fixing this Summer.

How are PSG gonna justify the spending and remain in the Champions league. Theyve already been hit with sanctions and a transfer limit yet they spent the limit on Luiz, this could also be a swap deal deal involving Verrati and Di-Maria and a few million as next season whos to say there attitude doesnt land them with a Champions League ban next season for not complying with FFP.

So they already have Moura and Lavezzi on the wings. They even regularly start Cavani there to accomodate Zlatan, yet they are still going to pay over the odds to buy DiMaria?
And all of this in spite of FFP?

Hard to believe to be honest.

Isnt what you just wrote (bar Adnan but who is still young) the very reason it is a pressing concern?

CL football should matter to a player if we were a club like West Ham, but we are not.

Do these players actually believe that we will not be back in the CL in 2015?

big wages and the chance to play for the biggest club in the biggest league in the world is worth one season of no CL football.

Neither Juventus or PSG is winning the CL.

History matters little to a lot of players, and to be honest PSG and Juventus are probably closer to winning it then United right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.