Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our Value is higher and don't get me started on revenues, you do realise their wealth is irrelevant? Especially with FFP comming into play now.
Actually the only irrelevant thing on this, is the value of the club. And they have the fifth highest revenue on the world, right below us. We know that it is cheating but c'est la vie. The mot important thing is the money, and currently they have way more money than us or any other club.

FFP came to play and all they did was making PSG pay 60m euro on their account. Considering the money they spent for Luiz and the money they are willing to spend for other players, it is fair to say that they don't give a shit about FFP.

Mendes owes a big favour for Bebe and he hasn't repaid his debt.

Actually the only irrelevant thing on this, is the value of the club. And they have the fifth highest revenue on the world, right below us. We know that it is cheating but c'est la vie. The mot important thing is the money, and currently they have way more money than us or any other club.

FFP came to play and all they did was making PSG pay 60m euro on their account. Considering the money they spent for Luiz and the money they are willing to spend for other players, it is fair to say that they don't give a shit about FFP.

True but FFP has just started, the fines will get higher and eventually they will be banned from the CL. No ones that rich that they can keep paying £60million fines every year, especially the owners main source of finance is a finite resource. Eventually there is a limit, even for them.

Fecking oil rich clubs, they sign everybody!, we can kiss goodbye to Di Maria and Vidal. Reminds me of that time the same type of oil rich clubs were interested in a certain Van Persie and Berbatov, guess who ended up picking them up :boring:

I know we dodged a bullet but at the time it was quite a bad feeling I must say.
It'd be similar to if you go to a kebab shop hammered at the end of the night but unfortunately discover that you're out of cash. Meanwhile, your mate spent his last bit of change on a glorious-looking kebab. You're feeling bummed out until the next morning when your friend is sick and shatting the Exxon Valdez. Total oil slick. We dodged a fecking bullet. Too bad we can't say the same about Young and Fellaini.

Fecking oil rich clubs, they sign everybody!, we can kiss goodbye to Di Maria and Vidal. Reminds me of that time the same type of oil rich clubs were interested in a certain Van Persie and Berbatov, guess who ended up picking them up :boring:
We'll find out soon how true these quotes that were attributed to di Maria in 2009 really are I guess.

“Since I was 13 or 14 years old, I’ve been telling my mother and my father that my dream is to play some day for Manchester United.

“And I won’t stop till I get it.

“When I watch [Wayne] Rooney and all of them on TV, I can’t wait to play there at Old Trafford.

“When I was a little boy I watched Arsenal games as well, but Manchester United always dazzled me most.”

It'd be similar to if you go to a kebab shop hammered at the end of the night but unfortunately discover that you're out of cash. Meanwhile, your mate spent his last bit of change on a glorious-looking kebab. You're feeling bummed out until the next morning when your friend is sick and shatting the Exxon Valdez. Total oil slick. We dodged a fecking bullet. Too bad we can't say the same about Young and Fellaini.
It wasn't just Lucas though, there were many others that we missed out on aswell. Hopefully Woodward can go that extra mile compared to Gill.

If PSG are interested we can kiss goodbye to this potential deal.
I don't agree with you, it's not all about PSG and their wealth as a club. Player's ambition and choice do play big part in any transfer, I think. Di Maria played in top level with Madrid, don't know about stats but he was always in the team when ever I watched them play. I am sure you agree as a challenge or exciting league PSG is no where near to Madrid or United. I guess it all comes down to how much we want hime, do we prioritise his signing over top midfield/CB or do we have enough funds to go big on all three CB/Mid/Wing. If he is our target and not some media bull..

We'll find out soon how true these quotes that were attributed to di Maria in 2009 really are I guess.

“Since I was 13 or 14 years old, I’ve been telling my mother and my father that my dream is to play some day for Manchester United.

“And I won’t stop till I get it.

“When I watch [Wayne] Rooney and all of them on TV, I can’t wait to play there at Old Trafford.

“When I was a little boy I watched Arsenal games as well, but Manchester United always dazzled me most.”

Indeed, but back in 2009 we were the no1 club in world football so those quotes just may be real.

Januzaj > Lucas Moura

Lucas has pretty much stalled his career going there, Ferguson would have made him a word beater.

As for Januzaj, PSG offered him a boatload of money to sign for them and he ended up committing to United by signing a 5 year deal. Just goes to show they really aren't all that.

I haven't read the thread. But if we don't throw everything to sign this guy, we're going to regret it. He's totally worthy of our most famous squad number.

I haven't read the thread. But if we don't throw everything to sign this guy, we're going to regret it. He's totally worthy of our most famous squad number.
this
Barca are fans are very keen to see him leave Madrid, shows us what a threat they think he is. I hope Woody can get this deal done.

Lucas has pretty much stalled his career going there, Ferguson would have made him a word beater.

As for Januzaj, PSG offered him a boatload of money to sign for them and he ended up committing to United by signing a 5 year deal. Just goes to show they really aren't all that.
I wish SAF noticed that we had a player called Nani, I bet he would have turned hime into a world beater.

I wish SAF noticed that we had a player called Nani, I bet he would have turned hime into a world beater.
He did turn Nani into a world beater, 2009/2011 Nani was brilliant, he was winning games on his own. It's his own fault he stagnated not Fergusons.

I don't agree with you, it's not all about PSG and their wealth as a club. Player's ambition and choice do play big part in any transfer, I think. Di Maria played in top level with Madrid, don't know about stats but he was always in the team when ever I watched them play. I am sure you agree as a challenge or exciting league PSG is no where near to Madrid or United. I guess it all comes down to how much we want hime, do we prioritise his signing over top midfield/CB or do we have enough funds to go big on all three CB/Mid/Wing. If he is our target and not some media bull..
I understand where you coming from, but nowadays often times sugar daddy clubs with more money rule over more prestigious clubs with richer history.

If he wanted to exclusively play for us and follow our project of return to Champions League then you have a valid point, but I'm not entertained by that idea just yet.

We was the best team, both on the pitch and off it (Marketability wise)

Then of course we ruined that by letting Ronaldo and Tevez go.
"Marketability wise" we are far better then what we were back in 2009..
We don't have Ronaldo/Tevez but we still won trophies and enjoyed great success. My problem with your post is, just because of one bad season you think players/agents will forget who Manchester United are. We missed out on players during SAF era and I am sure we will miss out on our targets again - but that doesn't change our status in world football. We are currently most valued club behind Madrid and Barca (I think Bayern took us our?).

We don't have Ronaldo/Tevez but we still won trophies and enjoyed great success. My problem with your post is, just because of one bad season you think players/agents will forget who Manchester United are. We missed out on players during SAF era and I am sure we will miss out on our targets again - but that doesn't change our status in world football. We are currently most valued club behind Madrid and Barca (I think Bayern took us our?).

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/manch...poor-season-095326422--finance.html?.tsrc=sun

Manchester United still tops sponsors' league after poor season

By Keith Weir

LONDON (Reuters) - A wretched season and exile from European soccer's top club competition have done nothing to dim Manchester United's commercial appeal, with the team set to sign a sportswear deal with Adidas worth twice what rivals have been earning.

That partnership and a shirt sponsorship with car brand Chevrolet, which also set a new benchmark for the sport, will help to underwrite the rebuilding of the team under new manager Louis van Gaal.

Negotiations for a new kit supply deal were a test of United's marketing muscle after a season in which the team won nothing and finished too low in the Premier League even to qualify for the lucrative European Champions League.

The normally bullish Nike pulled out of contract renewal talks, saying that the price had gone too high and signalling an end to a partnership dating back to 2002.

A source with knowledge of the negotiations said rival Adidas had offered upwards of 60 million pounds ($102 million) a season for a 10-year deal that will see it replace Nike from 2015.

The current Nike deal was worth 38 million pounds to United in 2012-13, including a share of the earnings from the sale of shirts and other merchandise to fans around the world.

United, majority owned by the American Glazer family and listed on the New York Stock Exchange, are determined to ensure that last season was a one-off failure and have replaced manager David Moyes after a short and unhappy tenure.

"Brands are about the history and the promise that will continue into the future," said Peter Walshe, a global account director with marketing company Millward Brown.

"There is a lot of excitement about the future after the disastrous handover to Moyes," he added. "It shows the United brand is bigger than one decision or individual."

GLOBAL FAN BASE

English champions a record 20 times, United have built up a huge global following over the decades thanks to players like George Best, Eric Cantona and David Beckham.

Just before their stock market flotation in 2012, United produced a survey showing they had 659 million global followers - not far short of one in 10 of the population.

That appeal helped persuade General Motors to put its Chevrolet brand on the team's red shirts in a deal worth $559 million that will run until 2021. As with the sportswear sponsorship, that was double the going rate for most major European teams.

"The key thing here is the increasing power that the brand has internationally," said Andy Sutherden, global head of sports marketing and sponsorship at communications firm H+K Strategies.

"The pool of fans from all over the world is the asset that they sell," he added.

Indeed, the focus for General Motors will be the Asian markets where United is popular, as the car maker is pulling the Chevrolet brand out of European markets.

United this week launched their new red shirts bearing the Chevrolet logo, a kit that will be the last one featuring the Nike swoosh and will be worn through the 2014-15 season.

For Adidas, the United deal fits with a strategy of defending market leadership in soccer against the advances made by larger American rival Nike, which has been involved in the sport for only two decades.

"If you can keep out a key rival that is worth a lot more to you rather than just the positive value of having that brand," said Millward Brown's Walshe.

United fans on social media reacted positively to the prospect of Adidas returning as kit supplier, reviving a partnership from the 1980s.

Nike had the right to match the bid from its rival, but walked away, saying it did not offer good value for shareholders.

More than 2 million United shirts are sold every year, which will help Adidas to recoup its investment, provided the team can return to the top of the European game.

That is where Dutchman Van Gaal comes in, fresh from taking a workmanlike Netherlands team to the World Cup semi-final this week.

Just as importantly, he appears to have some of the aura of former manager Alex Ferguson, who retired last year after winning 13 Premier League titles in two decades.

"What van Gaal has done with the Netherlands whets the appetite of fans and sponsors alike," said Sutherden. "He has done enough with Holland to show he is a manager who will create a positive and immediate impact."

Last edited:
€45 million for 3 goals in 2 years? Not arsed at all we missed out.
They haven't gotten the best out of him yet, it was a bad career move for him in my opinion. He's not a regular either at PSG I believe but at times he has shown to possess incredible ability and I personally think he has the potential to be become one of the best wingers in a few years. if we were able to get him for £20 million I would not think twice.

I never said player/agents will forget who Manchester United are :lol:

di Maria is a match winner/game changer I really hope this deal happens.

I saw one game where he lost the ball 67 times in the world cup, never watched him, bad game?

Don't want, especially for £50m. Our overspending is bordering on ridiculous now. If we get Di Maria, we're paying about £10-15m over what we should be paying. We overspent a further £10m on Shaw and £10m on Herrera. That's at least £30m wasted if we get Di Maria. I'm all for us making signings but let's no pretend we have unlimited spending. That £30m could have gone towards another shiny new midfielder.

For 50 Million we could get ronaldo.

There is not a chance Real Madrid will part ways with Cristiano. Even if they did, Do you honesty think they will sell Ronaldo for a mere £50million? Even if he was for sale he would cost north of £100million easily. A 29 year old Ronaldo still makes them plenty of money and brings a hell of a lot of success on the pitch, he still has a good 3/4 years left in him, he's a monster.

I would happily splash the rest of the Transfer kitty on him but Di Maria is far more attainable right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.