Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
DDG
Rafael Evans Hummels Shaw
Vidal Herrera
Mata
Nani Januzaj Di Maria

Your front line is fecking awful. 16 goals between them last year and why must people continuously flog that dead horse Nani?

if Di Maria comes, I believe Januzaj role in the team will be severley reduced. I can not see Van Gaal opting to play Di Maria and Januzaj in the same starting eleven together because they offer the same thing. He might be reduced to the role he has with Belgium dependant on Di Maria fitness and Van Gaal preference towards our other experienced winger.

Di Maria is hard working winger who plays for Real these days due to his workrate and also did the Park role in AM on many occasions.

Don't see a reason why Januzaj and him can't play together on either wing or with Di Maria as AM.

if Di Maria comes, I believe Januzaj role in the team will be severley reduced. I can not see Van Gaal opting to play Di Maria and Januzaj in the same starting eleven together because they offer the same thing. He might be reduced to the role he has with Belgium dependant on Di Maria fitness and Van Gaal preference towards our other experienced winger. Although...that role might be too fringe...maybe he will be utilized like Depay for netherland.

United need pace and acceleration in their team, united are really lacking someone to stretch teams. Di maria could give the same direct impact and more that valencia once give us in 2009. We need something different out wide, and if di maria can recreate the performance he put in the CL final, we will have one hell of a player. Much like kanchelskis, just the old school winger who can really put teams to the sword

Your front line is fecking awful. 16 goals between them last year and why must people continuously flog that dead horse Nani?

I still think don't think long term Januzaj will end up a winger. Of course I wouldn't want to pick Nani, but there are a serious lack of alternatives out wide. Realistically of course we'll see RVP or Rooney up top and 2 out of welbeck, Di Maria, Januzaj, Nani out wide if we do sign him.

Come to think of it..

that isn't a bad set of wingers to pick from.

I do not think nani has ever had a full season where he was actually good, what does nani do these days? he cannot beat a man, he does not track back from time to time, his assists and goals record are pretty underwhelming, and the only thing he has done in 3 years? is get sent off against real madrid at OT, apart from spending most of the time on the bench or he is injured. He cannot be trusted in the big games, because he offers no protection to the fullbacks. Unless he is CR7, he needs to do more

So he's not thinking about the World Cup final and is negotiating personal terms instead? I call BS.
Isn't he currently facing an uphill battle to get fit for the final? I'm pretty sure his agent would be doing most of the talking on his behalf with possibly the odd phone call needed most likely nowhere close to game days to let the player focus on the match at hand. Anyway what I'm saying is he could have easily given his agent directions on what he wanted and he leaves him to it. We either agree or not. After that it's down to the two clubs to agree on a fee.

Its been going round united are close to signing him, we will see. If it goes through, I expect him to replace ashley young

That's a massive replacement.

In my opinion Di Maria is like a much better version of Nani or what most of us want Nani to be so he's definitely going to be an improvement for us.

I think we are desperate for a fast tricky winger. Obviously not as much as midfield or centre back but signing him would be fantastic

In my opinion Di Maria is like a much better version of Nani or what most of us want Nani to be so he's definitely going to be an improvement for us.

He will give us speed that we so lack in the team, and unlike nani he is a man for the big games

I do not think nani has ever had a full season where he was actually good, what does nani do these days? he cannot beat a man, he does not track back from time to time, his assists and goals record are pretty underwhelming, and the only thing he has done in 3 years? is get sent off against real madrid at OT, apart from spending most of the time on the bench or he is injured. He cannot be trusted in the big games, because he offers no protection to the fullbacks. Unless he is CR7, he needs to do more

Err no. This is hyperbolic criticism based on unsubstantiated opinions..

2011/ 2012 - 12 goals, 13 assists
2010/ 2011 - 11 goals, 15 assists
2009/ 2010 - 8 goals, 9 assists
2007/ 2008 - 4 goals, 11 assists

Even in 2012/ 2013 he produced 3 goals and 5 assists in just 14 starts.

He's only second to Rooney in goals + assists accounted for since 2009 and the 3rd overall behind Rooney and Ronaldo since he signed for United. And his workrate is misjudged a lot. Nani's not a Valencia type beast wile tracking back but it's adequate. He's been poor for the last couple of seasons granted but he's had to contend with injuries and lack of confidence, that can unsettle any player. He's still one of the most creative players United has. Whether Nani leaves in the summer remains to be seen, but he's no way near as bad as you make him out to be.

No chance, this will drag out right up until PSG come in and offer £20m and Cavani. Leaving us dead in the water. There's always hope. I think the CL will factor in this deal

Mate believe it or not there are alot of players leaving Brazil right now (Di Maria still there) who have had long arse seasons and the thought of starting club football soon and going again on all fronts isn't any more appealing than a much less gruelling campaign over the next 12 months and time to adapt properly to a new league with united.

So he's not thinking about the World Cup final and is negotiating personal terms instead? I call BS.
I think what he will be trying not to do is think about the magnitude of the football match he is about to play at the weekend. It would be awful to wait around for half a week thinking about that match so I don't see why he wouldn't take half an hour of his time to read and sign a contract.

Plus, if he does want out of Real then everyone involved will want it done as soon as possible. Their are other clubs after him, Real could change their mind or bump the price if he plays a blinder in the final and I'm sure he wants to know where he's going to be next week so he can start pre-season instead of hanging around waiting for something to happen.

Anyway, I hope it's true. He'd be great for us.

I think we are desperate for a fast tricky winger. Obviously not as much as midfield or centre back but signing him would be fantastic

I disagree, its has badly needed as the midfield. Look at it this way, which area is worse?

CM - carrick herrera cleverly anderson fellaini
wide positions - valencia nani young zaha

those options give me the shivers, for asking which area is worse?

He will give us speed that we so lack in the team, and unlike nani he is a man for the big games

This is Di maria we are talking about right? Jesus he's capable of being as good as giggs for us. nani comparisons are laughable.

Err no. This is hyperbolic criticism based on unsubstantiated opinions..

2011/ 2012 - 12 goals, 13 assists
2010/ 2011 - 11 goals, 15 assists
2009/ 2010 - 8 goals, 9 assists
2007/ 2008 - 4 goals, 11 assists

Even in 2012/ 2013 he produced 3 goals and 5 assists in just 14 starts.

He's only second to Rooney in goals + assists accounted for since 2009 and the 3rd overall behind Rooney and Ronaldo since he signed for United. And his workrate is misjudged a lot. Nani's not a Valencia type beast wile tracking back but it's adequate. He's been poor for the last couple of seasons granted but he's had to contend with injuries and lack of confidence, that can unsettle any player. He's still one of the most creative players United has. Whether Nani leaves in the summer remains to be seen, but he's no way near as bad as you make him out to be.

even in those seasons hes been a meh, I think he is that bad, and hes done nothing in 3 years

This is Di maria we are talking about right? Jesus he's capable of being as good as giggs for us. nani comparisons are laughable.

I agree with you, and one thing i haven't seen it mentioned here his crossing is amazing, consider that to the shit our wingers serve, rooney and rvp will be scoring plenty of headers this season with him on the wings.

No offense but was that ever in question? :p

I agree with you, and one thing i haven't seen it mentioned here his crossing is amazing, consider that to the shit our wingers serve, rooney and rvp will be scoring plenty of headers this season with him on the wings.

Giggs' crossing wasnt great until he was late into his 20s. People just see his longevity and think he's the best winger ever! Di Maria's A game is better. Whether he will be as consistent for us who knows.

Well some were saying that we'd have to play different formations ect ect and I don't think it matter if it's Di Maria

Ah. I always saw him as a winger or wide man who can cut inside centrally and be a playmaker because of his vision. And I look at our wingers and think, jeez, even Lingard might be an improvement..

Ah. I always saw him as a winger or wide man who can cut inside centrally and be a playmaker because of his vision. And I look at our wingers and think, jeez, even Lingard might be an improvement..

Di Maria would be up with the best wingers this club ever had IMO. And thats the biggest accolade I can give the lad.

even in those seasons hes been a meh, I think he is that bad, and hes done nothing in 3 years

Errr wut... This is scapegoating at its finest. Productivity doesn't lie man. If you want to turn a blind eye to them then fine, that's your prerogative. But know that the view can't be backed by statistics. If Nani was meh he wouldn't have been voted United Players' Player of the Year in 2011. That shows his team-mates respect what he brings to the table. In the past four pre-Moyes seasons he has provided 42 assists and 34 goals. Even now he is one of the few players we have who can turn nothing into something and win United a game. In terms of pure creative skill he's among our Top 5 players.

even in those seasons hes been a meh, I think he is that bad

Very odd opinion. I don't think many would deny that he's not kept the standard up (for whatever reasons), and it's quite possible he won't regain that level, but he was immense for a couple of years. I don't see how that can be denied.

Ducker on the situation.

"Manchester United are continuing to monitor Angel Di Maria’s situation at Real Madrid. The Argentina winger is on the Barclays Premier League club’s radar although there has been no contact with Real or the player.

Reports emerged today that United had bid for Di Maria and agreed personal terms with the 26-year-old but they are only maintaining a watching brief at this stage..."

Di Maria would be a fantastic signing. He can play as a proper winger or as a Ramires-type shuttler, but one who is actually good at football and not just running.

------------------RVP-----------------
Januzaj/Rooney/Kagawa------Mata
-----DiMaria--------Herrera------
------------------CM---------------
Shaw--------------------------Rafael
----Evans/Jones------Smalling------
---------------De Gea----------------

Basically, we're a similar option to Di Maria as Arsenal was for Ozil. Come to a big club where you know you'll start every game that matters, rather than stay at Madrid, where Modric and Kroos will start in midfield, Bale and Ronaldo out wide and then you've got Isco, Illaramendi, Xabi Alonso and Khedira all currently fighting for one spot. Madness.

Errr wut... This is scapegoating at its finest. Productivity doesn't lie man. If you want to turn a blind eye to them then fine, that's your prerogative. But know that the view can't be backed by statistics. If Nani was meh he wouldn't have been voted United Players' Player of the Year in 2011. That shows his team-mates respect what he brings to the table. In the past four pre-Moyes seasons he has provided 42 assists and 34 goals. Even now he is one of the few players we have who can turn nothing into something and win United a game. In terms of pure creative skill he's among our Top 5 players.

The boy got booed off! He's been garbage and you can rationalise the reasons as much as you like but at a club like ours season after seasons the standards have to be up there and his, quite frankly, have not been anywhere near too often. No one is scrambling for him, his value would be less than we paid. Thats a disgrace for someone of his talent.

The boy got booed off! He's been garbage and you can rationalise the reasons as much as you like but at a club like ours season after seasons the standards have to be up there and his, quite frankly, have not been anywhere near too often. No one is scrambling for him, his value would be less than we paid. Thats a disgrace for someone of his talent.

Ok... Then which of our other wing options (bar Januzaj but we don't know how he'll progress in the long term) have been upto United standards (looking at Valencia, Young) ? All I'm saying is that I'd rather have some of the others leave before Nani. A replacement player of his quality will cost atleast 20 million in the open market. Really think some of the Nani under-rating stems from hate-ism or is a byproduct of his petulance.

EDIT : Last post on this topic. It's a Di Maria thread.

@Damien any chance you could post the times article by Ducker please?

Nope as Telegraph has contacted us about posting stuff from behind paywalls and don't want the Times to do the same. Here's a summary though - it says NOTHING outside of the below:

Summary:
  • Continue to monitor his situation
  • No contact with the club or the player
  • Reports that have emerged today are nonsense and we're just watching him for now
  • He's valued at £45m and contracted till 2018
  • We remain in the market for another midfielder, a center-half and versatile winger-cum-forward in the Di Maria mould
  • We're expected to sign another leftback as cover for Shaw (Rodriguez is an option)
  • Vidal continues to be heavily linked with us who are monitoring him too

We'll know regarding this after the WC properly.

Madrid will pretty much have to force him out, for us to stand a chance. It's possible if they want their new shiny toy James Rodriguez and Falcao as the striker.

I don't think we'll pay 45 million pounds for him though. More in Sanchez territory i can see.

Nope as Telegraph has contacted us about posting stuff from behind paywalls and don't want the Times to do the same. Here's a summary though - it says NOTHING outside of the below:

Have they really? Blimey

Cheers mate

Giggs' crossing wasnt great until he was late into his 20s. People just see his longevity and think he's the best winger ever! Di Maria's A game is better. Whether he will be as consistent for us who knows.

I agree Di Maria is much better than rhodri giggs ever was.

di Maria is a match winner/game changer I really hope this deal happens.

How would we fit Mata, Kagawa, Welbeck, Januzaj, Rooney, Van Persie, Vidal, Herrera, Di Maria, Nani, Valencia, Carrick and Chicharito into a front 6? Fwiw, I don't think we'll get Vidal but Di Maria might be a possibility if Real choose Rodriguez as their new toy this season.

di maria would instantly improve our attack and is by a distance much better than all the wingers that we've got right now. i would not mind to see valencia and nani benched. and you also missed young there :D

Status
Not open for further replies.