Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Erm, rather major omision in that quote guys:

Manchester United look like they are closing in on signing Argentina World Cup star Angel Di Maria. The Real Madrid man is now 4/5 from 6/4 to join the Old Trafford club

...reads a bit different, eh?
Means nothing anyway. Change in price is simply the result of punters responding to reports in the media. Doesn't add any weight to those reports

Bugger! The quote that I picked up from Transfer Centre made sense as well. Oh well. Still think we have a chance of signing him. More so than Vidal but we need both players and a LB for competition for Shaw once Evra leaves.

He does seem the most likely of our three Big Muppet Targets, thoug sadly the least essential. Would be a great signing, mind.

Also, in my muppet fantasy we're getting this one wrapped up so that we aren't weakened by Nani going to Juve as part of the Vidal deal!

Means nothing anyway. Change in price is simply the result of punters responding to reports in the media. Doesn't add any weight to those reports

You've missed the point...

"The Real Madrid man is now 4/5 from 6/4 to join the Old Trafford club" is very different to "The Real Madrid man is now to join the Old Trafford club", no?

This is the one signing I feel will make the biggest difference in our pursuit of regaining the title, we haven't had a genuine threat on the flanks since Ronaldo left.

Us buying him will be driving down the fee we can offer for Vidal.

This is the one signing I feel will make the biggest difference in our pursuit of regaining the title, we haven't had a genuine threat on the flanks since Ronaldo left.
That's well harsh on Young and turn back Tony mate.

You've missed the point...

"The Real Madrid man is now 4/5 from 6/4 to join the Old Trafford club" is very different to "The Real Madrid man is now to join the Old Trafford club", no?
Nope. I was making a further point that betting sites have no real relevance anyway

Are you sure about that?

Unless the board decides to come up with a record total summer spending, it would be very difficult to sign Vidal. Seriously, I can live without Di Maria rather than without a strong addition in midfield like Vidal.

Unless the board decides to come up with a record total summer spending, it would be very difficult to sign Vidal. Seriously, I can live without Di Maria rather than without a strong addition in midfield like Vidal.

There is other option than Vidal not as good as him but they exist, when a player like Di Maria won't be available soon.

Who says they wont spend a "record amount"?

People love to make predictions based on the past - but things are very different now to where they were when Fergie was in charge. The fact that we haven't spent big in the past is irrelevant now. The club evidently realise they need to spend big to address the issues and to ensure that they keep winning, or aleast competing for titles. Long term its the only way the "brand" wins out and ultimately, teh only way the owners continue to make money from the club. The PL has changed, Fergie is gone and a lot of talented players have moved on over the last 4 or 5 years have gone too who need to be repalced with quality. Not spending big is a false economy.

The major indictaion for me however is the fact that they've already spent £30 million on a left back, when there were clearly cheaper options out there. That doesnt look like a club worried about spending money this summer. If they had a limited budget then I suspect spending that on a full back would not have been a priority.

Herrera, even though it was planned for last summer, was done this year in the dark without anyone knowing anything until the last minute. What's not to say the same could be said for Di Maria/Vidal/other targets? There is plenty of time to go and we, apparently, still have a lot of money to spend so watch this space.

Herrera, even though it was planned for last summer, was done this year in the dark without anyone knowing anything until the last minute. What's not to say the same could be said for Di Maria/Vidal/other targets? There is plenty of time to go and we, apparently, still have a lot of money to spend so watch this space.

Time? Where does it say we still have time when our rivals have already gone loading themselves for bear and appear to be looking for more?

After years of neglect on the transfer market, I only wish to see anything soon that would make those motherfeckers from Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal fear us again. Considering the season we just had, you'd expect United to be the ones loading themselves for bear on the market.

Valencia was class for a while

For every big signing we can get in - the easier it will be to persuade the next guy to join.

Shaw means little in that respect - but if in the space of 7-8 months we sign Mata, Di Maria and Herrera - it shows intent and will make it a lot easier to persuade someone like Vidal to join (not to mention the fact that we now have a bunch of spanish-speaking players at the club)

I really want us to sign Di Maria, Vidal is unlikely and we still need to sign a big name.

Just give him a £175k salary and put £45m on the table for Madrid, get it done woddy so we can finally move forward as a club !

Just give him a £175k salary and put £45m on the table for Madrid, get it done woddy so we can finally move forward as a club !

He asked to Real Madrid 8.5 million €/yr ad wage.

Same thing Benzema to extend the deal, he asked 11 million €/yr

He could be easily signed when he was at Benfica, now it's a bit more difficoult...

He could be easily signed when he was at Benfica, now it's a bit more difficoult...

Not really.

If he wants out and we offer Real a sizebale amount then its perfectly doable. The added benefit is that if he becomes a revelation for us, he won't "dream of Madrid" after a few years :)

Want this to happen bad!

He's probably a 3/10 on the face rating, but definitely a 9/10 on the ability/excitement rating.

He isn't worth that much. Probably be gotten for less if Madrid wanna whore him out too.
He most definitely is. The ONLY reason he isnt playing every single game for Madrid (and he has displaced them before) is because of Ronaldo and Bale, you simply cant drop 165m worth of wingers. He is definitely much much better than Young who is on 125k apparantly. He would instantly be the best winger in the prem.

He most definitely is. The ONLY reason he isnt playing every single game for Madrid (and he has displaced them before) is because of Ronaldo and Bale, you simply cant drop 165m worth of wingers. He is definitely much much better than Young who is on 125k apparantly. He would instantly be the best winger in the prem.
He did play regularly in the 4-3-3 though, which shows he is even more impressive. I didn't think he would have the tactical brain to play that role, but he was excellent.

Hes a winger, who can also play in a midfield 3 (given he moves out wide when he does)
Probably man of the match in the UCL final, of course he is worth the money

I completely agree with @Adam-Utd and @Cassidy just out of interest, where would you two place him against someone like Reus? To me its extremely close, very hard to call. Di Maria seems to be getting better where as we dont know about Reus, obviously a star for Dortmund and an incredible player but Di Maria WON the CL for Madrid and was MOTM. Reus didnt play that well when on the biggest stage.

I completely agree with @Adam-Utd and @Cassidy just out of interest, where would you two place him against someone like Reus? To me its extremely close, very hard to call. Di Maria seems to be getting better where as we dont know about Reus, obviously a star for Dortmund and an incredible player but Di Maria WON the CL for Madrid and was MOTM. Reus didnt play that well when on the biggest stage.

Honestly speaking I think if you put Reus in that RM team he would be better than Bale, just my opinion though.
It is a lot easier to exploit space when you have Ronaldo and Bale occupying defenders, on top of that Reus the season before was instrumental in getting Dortmund to the UCL final.

For me though Reus is not a winger he is more a wide forward like Sanchez
Di Maria as a winger has better delivery than both IMO

Honestly speaking I think if you put Reus in that RM team he would be better than Bale, just my opinion though.
It is a lot easier to exploit space when you have Ronaldo and Bale occupying defenders, on top of that Reus the season before was instrumental in getting Dortmund to the UCL final.

For me though Reus is not a winger he is more a wide forward like Sanchez
Di Maria as a winger has better delivery than both IMO
Interesting and I agree somewhat, Im just remembering Reus tearing Madrid a new one in the Semi Final with his brace, incredible performance. Yeah I guess Reus is a wide forward and some would even argue he is a no.10. Di Maria is an all out winger no question about it, whats more is he is a goal scoring one.

Reus easily. Much more refined, consistent than Di Maria and has better attacking output with great workrate.

Firstly Young isn't on 125k, and 2ndly i wasn't talking about wages alone but more Fees + Wages.

And he played better 2nd half of last season at Real in a central role than he did on the right season before, where Real madrid fans were frustrated with him. He gives good workrate there but can be really frustrating too.

See the switzerland game where when played out wide only where he lost the ball record times since 1966 in a WC match before scoring the winning goal. He is a hard working winger though and can play number of roles but he isn't that much more worth than Sanchez.

I agree with this

I've been a advocate of Di Maria for a long while as he has all traits of a traditional United winger and we needed a left footed one but he has definitely gone from being underrated to overrated now.

Status
Not open for further replies.