Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rodriguez is even more inconsistent than Di Maria and he has been average with Porto and Monaco when used in the wide areas.
He was primarily used in wide areas at porto and if he was average, he wouldn't have garnered the hype. Not had so much interest in him, and the transfer probably wouldn't have happened. You also probably haven't seen him playing in the wide areas for monaco on a consistent basis to make such a judgement.

Secondly he's 22 years old. Inconsistency at his age is expected, di maria is 26, his inconsistency isn't likely to change.

Transfermarkt's assists are a bit dodgy. It counts winning free-kicks/penalties as assists.

He was primarily used in wide areas at porto and if he was average, he wouldn't have garnered the hype. Not had so much interest in him, and the transfer probably wouldn't have happened. You also probably haven't seen him playing in the wide areas for monaco on a consistent basis to make such a judgement.

Secondly he's 22 years old. Inconsistency at his age is expected, di maria is 26, his inconsistency isn't likely to change.

I've seen all his games with Monaco, he is an excellent player but he is not very good on the wing, he is the reason why Ranieri changed his formation.

Are Real still interested in Rooney? If Di Maria shows up it'd surely put his place in jeopardy and some kind of swap would work out well for all parties. Real love buying players with huge marketability, afterall.

ESPN is quite good at stats, if I am not mistaken.
Transfermarkt's assists are a bit dodgy. It counts winning free-kicks/penalties as assists.
So whe have a 60% chance of obtaining accurate statistcs on Transfermarkts site whilst ESPN offer an 82% accuracy rating. In saying that 4 out of 10 people will opt for the transfermarkt site. Another 4 out of 10 for the ESPN site leaving 2 that just dont give a f@ck -- get Di Maria signed NOW

ESPN is the place to go, 23 goals and 18 assists, bit the same right?
You have count the goals/assists for England too. He has 19 goals and 17 assists for United.

Hey, lets now sign Di Maria.

Are Real still interested in Rooney? If Di Maria shows up it'd surely put his place in jeopardy and some kind of swap would work out well for all parties. Real love buying players with huge marketability, afterall.

I'd be ok with a Di Maria for Rooney swap.

What? :lol:

I've seen all his games with Monaco, he is an excellent player but he is not very good on the wing, he is the reason why Ranieri changed his formation.
Is that what ranieri said or is it what you assumed? Also which wing was he playing on and how many times did he play there? Whoscored has him playing the vast majority of his games at the 10. At porto he was a 1 in 2 scorer from outwide. Sometimes he'd threaten to take it to the next level(remember a season he scored 12 out of 15)

Obviously he's not a true winger who'll give a team proper wide man service from the wing but with a free role on the right of a 3 man attack, I can't see how we can go wrong.

Is that what ranieri said or is it what you assumed? Also which wing was he playing on and how many times did he play there? Whoscored has him playing the vast majority of his games at the 10. At porto he was a 1 in 2 scorer from outwide. Sometimes he'd threaten to take it to the next level(remember a season he scored 12 out of 15)

Obviously he's not a true winger who'll give a team proper wide man service from the wing but with a free role on the right of a 3 man attack, I can't see how we can go wrong.

Ranieri first tried him on the right and left wing instead of either carrasco or Ocampos but that didn't worked he wasn't good enough at a moment where the team was very good.

He changed the tactic for him and because Riviere was very good, which was a good thing, since he started to be very good as a 10. But he fade away around christmas and Ranieri cristicised him publicly.

Last edited:
We'd be an injury to RVP away from being fecked.

Chicha/Welbeck/Wilson is as good a back up as you can get for a one striker system. If we want to add pace to our attack, we need to sacrifice one of our strikers inevitably.

I wonder if the idea would be to have di Maria be our Robben.

Smalling Jones Evans
Rafael_____________Shaw
Herrera Vidal
Mata
di Maria van Persie

Jones can push into midfield when needed as well.

Smalling Jones Evans
Rafael_____________Shaw
Herrera Vidal
Mata
di Maria van Persie

Di Maria isn't anywhere near Robben as a direct goal threat though. Sanchez would have been the more obvious fit as a Robben clone, although I prefer di Maria as a player overall. I'd love to have him here, but he'd play a different role than that of Robben for the Dutch imo.

Di Maria isn't anywhere near Robben as a direct goal threat though. Sanchez would have been the more obvious fit as a Robben clone, although I prefer di Maria as a player overall. I'd love to have him here, but he'd play a different role than that of Robben for the Dutch imo.

Wasn't my first thought, but di Maria is fantastic and has excellent speed and ball control to pull off similar things to Robben.

Wasn't my first thought, but di Maria is fantastic and has excellent speed and ball control to pull off similar things to Robben.

He's a fantastic player for sure, and versatile enough to play in loads of different roles. I just see him as more of a creator than a goalscorer, and if 4-3-3 is actually still LVG's preferred formation he's the obvious fit for one of the wide roles. One thing that did cross my mind was that if Van Gaal did decide to try Rooney wide-left, then Di Maria could conceivably play the exact same role in a three-man midfield that he did for Real last season, where he'd provide width when Ronaldo went infield. Although I have no idea where that would leave Mata...either way I'm in muppet overdrive at the minute!

Can PSG buy without selling? i know they are largely ignoring FFP, but they have got a net transfer cap like Man City have, and they've already spent £50 million on Luiz.

I don't think Sánchez is a more obvious fit. One of Robben's most important trait is his dribbling and ability to beat players for fun. Sánchez has been a pretty sloppy dribbler and is currently nowhere near Robben in that regard.

Pay $hit Gay will put as much money on the table as needed to convince to go to Paris. Let us look elsewhere, we can't waste another summer waiting for the biggest names.

After that disaster of the UEFA's "punishment" the door is open for all plastic clubs to ignore FFP. Those money fines are no concern just as a reduced squad when you have only world stars amongst the first 15-20 player.

Smalling Jones Evans
Rafael_____________Shaw
Herrera Vidal
Mata
di Maria van Persie

Seems an odd way to use him. With those resources you'd be better off going with a 4231 -

Rafael Jones Evans Shaw
Vidal Herrera
Di Maria Mata Januzaj
RVP
or a diamond -

Rafael Evans Jones Shaw
Herrera
Di Maria ---Vidal---
Mata
Rooney RVP
(Where Di Maria would basically have the same midfielder/winger role as he does at RM.)

According to an article published today by Jamie Jackson

Van Gaal, who has been in regular contact with the United executive during the World Cup, will step up his efforts to strengthen the squad next week, with Borussia Dortmund’s Mats Hummels, Real Madrid’s Ángel Di María and Juventus’s Arturo Vidal high on his list of priorities.

Honestly Jackson/Ogden/Ducker are struggling badly at the moment and are living off scraps from the club. Whenever this happens its the reliable, well known names they revert to.

Honestly Jackson/Ogden/Ducker are struggling badly at the moment and are living off scraps from the club. Whenever this happens its the reliable, well known names they revert to.

In fairness in this age at our club there isnt any surprise names to be purchased. Might as well replace the scouting dept with this place.

Can PSG buy without selling? i know they are largely ignoring FFP, but they have got a net transfer cap like Man City have, and they've already spent £50 million on Luiz.
I doubt 20m or whatever the financial penalty may be would make a difference for the Qataris..

I don't think Sánchez is a more obvious fit. One of Robben's most important trait is his dribbling and ability to beat players for fun. Sánchez has been a pretty sloppy dribbler and is currently nowhere near Robben in that regard.

He's quite a prolific goalscorer though and gets into scoring positions more regularly than di Maria. I'd rather have di Maria here, but Sanchez is more capable of replicating the role that Robben plays for Holland imo. Di Maria would fit in seamlessly here as a more traditional wide player of course, or as an option in a 3 man midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.