Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be amazing if somehow we manage to get him, but I refuse to get my hopes up until somebody more reliable reports it. Not sure about AS, are they reliable or not?

And what's the basis of you hypothesis ?
William is rumoured to be linked with us a lot and we have been told the price to pay, I reckon he is more realistic so it has a better chance of happening. As for Depay, I'm not saying it will happen I'm just saying that kind of player ... young European talent , is what we will be looking at. We don't have CL Football so it's harder to attract, end of.

We aren't in the champions league and need to get back in. Signing young unproven players is a bigger risk than signing proven players who'd get us in the champions league.

Ozil went for £42m right? £47m for Di Maria seems about right probably.

If we're briefing Ogden and co. less often then we'll probably hear from Spanish sources first.

William is rumoured to be linked with us a lot and we have been told the price to pay, I reckon he is more realistic so it has a better chance of happening. As for Depay, I'm not saying it will happen I'm just saying that kind of player ... young European talent , is what we will be looking at. We don't have CL Football so it's harder to attract, end of.

Well the Glazers do have to spend to ensure continued success of their investment. If they have to spend 150-200 million in one window I doubt they'll relent. Especially with the massive CL rights deal - BT has a 900 million 3 year deal starting in 2015. There must be added pressure from sponsors both existing and new (like Chevrolet who've pumped world record money and wouldn't be happy with mediocre success or maybe Adidas that are reportedly signing another world record deal). Even 200 million isn't that far fetched in the long run when to factor in the hundreds of million we'd attract in return.

I don't think the lack of European football will be a big hindrance (this is just my opinion). It might've averted Alexis' attentions but there are plenty of big fish in the water and we're among the most prestigious clubs once you disregard the aberration of last season. Personally I think it doesn't make much sense to bring in a relatively unproven youngster like William for maybe 30-25 million when there's a chance to sign one of the Top 3 CMs in the world for about 15-20 million more. If such a deal is possible I doubt the Glazers or Woodward will start penny pinching. They might've done in the past but the circumstances demand immediate attention this time around.

Do people actually believe there would be any news just a day before one of the most important matches of his career?

Or is he out of the World Cup?

Do people actually believe there would be any news just a day before one of the most important matches of his career?

He's out of the Holland game but I think you're right.

In previous years I would be inclined to agree with you, but this summer is different.
The Glazers know they have to spend and Woodie wants to spend; we have been spending release clause-like money on our last 3 signings so it appears that our days for penny pinching when it comes to transfers are over.

I believe that we will get either Di Maria or Vidal.... or both.
Would you be willing to bet that if we get either (or both) you would have to change your user name to something silly for this season?
I would of course, change mines if we do not nab a marquee signing.

I'd participate in a bet of that nature :angel:
I think it's more to do with the overall business strategy, we are demanding £75m for our shirt but we have just three genuine superstars so maybe the Glazers feel we have to spend to bring more value to our sponsors. The way Madrid have overtaken us on the revenue table shows that Perez's mad transfer mania works on the commercial side . Our business strategy is based on strong commercial growth and marquee signings help to fuel that growth by exciting the fanbase, di Maria is one such signing.

There's nothing realistic about thinking we'd spend £37M on a player that hasn't proven a single thing.

He's out of the Holland game but I think you're right.

Surely if he has a chance to make it for the finals and is not out of the world cup completely, he or his agent or even the clubs involved will never leak any info to the press.

More realistic than this Di Maria transfer happening.

Not really, we wouldn't pay it for Lucas or Hazard, I don't see us paying it for any prospect. Di Maria on the other hand is a world class player and most aren't stupid enough to worry about one season out of the CL when joining one of the 5 biggest clubs on the face of the planet.

Last edited:
What gets me about the AS rumour is that why would Real broadcast they've accepted a bid for one of their players that is still involved in the WC. If you were the Argentina coach you'd be pretty pissed off with Madrid.
I wouldn't believe any rumours regarding Di Maria until Argentina is out if the WC, hopefully tonight :D

That AS are the biggest bullshitters going. This won't happen.

People again getting unrealistic thinking we're going to spunk £90m on some of the best players in the world like Di Maria and Vidal.

Remember we aren't in the Champions league. Our business so far has been really good and expect similar transfers.

Wouldn't be surprised if we snapped up William Carvalho and Depay, players like that. Top upcoming European talent rather than top established European talent.

This is the transfer forum, allowing people to be a little unrealistic is all part of participation.

From a personal point of view, I fully expect this summer to be very different from the norm. How that manifests itself is known only to a few.

Your point of view, right now, is no more realistic than the fantasisers. Nobody knows until the large headed man sings.

It's not like we have been banished from the CL forever, though and could be better placed to make an immediate return given that Cup winners also qualify from 2015 onwards ( will have to confirm) and we have the financial space to offer him or any player we target a ridiculous contract . On Carvalho I don't think it makes sense to pay £37m on a twenty one year old with season of topflight football to his name, there are cheaper and more proven options out there if we desire a DM.

Well, apparently Kroos is done deal to Madrid, According to Bild and Spanish media. I guess transfers can be done even during World Cup.

What gets me about the AS rumour is that why would Real broadcast they've accepted a bid for one of their players that is still involved in the WC. If you were the Argentina coach you'd be pretty pissed off with Madrid.
I wouldn't believe any rumours regarding Di Maria until Argentina is out if the WC, hopefully tonight :D
Then di maria will be overrated and nobody will want him any more using caf logic :p

Not really, we wouldn't pay it for Lucas or Hazard, I don't see us paying it for any prospect. Di Maria on the other hand is a world class player and most aren't stupid enough to worry about one season out of the CL when joining one of the 5 biggest clubs on the face of the planet.
Well I hope you are right.

I don't rate di Maria so much that i would say he is superstar and worth more than £45m.

I don't rate di Maria so much that i would say he is superstar and worth more than £45m.
It is a lot, but the difference he'd make to our wing play would be incredible, imo he's worth every penny

It is a lot, but the difference he'd make to our wing play would be incredible, imo he's worth every penny
So if he is better than what we have he is worth that money. If and a big if we are going to spend so much money on the winger i would go to Dortmund and give Klopp a bag of money for Reus. He is younger, better and more marketable. Simple as that.

His best position is by far in midfield. He is productive but inconsistent on the right wing. I would be surprised if that much money is going to be spent on him to play on the wing. He had some good games on the left wing (the copa del rey final vs barca in 2011) so maybe van gaal wants him to play there but he went up a level this year in midfield.

So if he is better than what we have he is worth that money. If and a big if we are going to spend so much money on the winger i would go to Dortmund and give Klopp a bag of money for Reus. He is younger, better and more marketable. Simple as that.
Yeah totally forgot about Reus, guessing some twitter rumours will be going around about him soon. How bad was his injury?

If AS had anthing remotely like solid info, surely the first we're hearing about it wouldn't be their twitter answering a question from a randomer.

Superstars like Sanchez, Di Maria and Vidal want CL football as an absolute minimum. Not gonna happen.

If AS had anthing remotely like solid info, surely the first we're hearing about it wouldn't be their twitter answering a question from a randomer.

Superstars like Sanchez, Di Maria and Vidal want CL football as an absolute minimum. Not gonna happen.
Toure, Silva?

Unlikely, sure. Completely out of the question as you suggest...you can't really say that.

Toure, Silva?

Unlikely, sure. Completely out of the question as you suggest...you can't really say that.
Did Toure/Silva have alternative options in for them who were willing to offer the same massive salary City were offering as well as CL football?

No way of knowing what that AS twitter feed was about until they post the story. AS will say (more or less) who the source is, so if they're repeating gossip from the French press (which is where I saw the PSG/United bid story first) they'll say that. If it's their own sources then it's coming Madrid or from Di Maria's (entourage/agent) and while I'd be suspicious of any numbers quoted, the stories will come from people who actually know what's going on - though of course said ITK's may not be telling the whole truth.

There are a load of stories linking PSG/Madrid in various ways. PSG want Di Maria and Varane. Madrid want Verrati. Both lots want Pogba. And so on.

Anyway, lets see how the actual AS story is phrased.

Did Toure/Silva have alternative options in for them who were willing to offer the same massive salary City were offering as well as CL football?

Does Di Maria? He won the damn thing 2 months ago... I don't really think it's an issue. If it was that important to players half of our squad would want out.

Didn't we bid for Silva the year before with both him and Valencia saying 100% not interested?

Other than the PSG rumour, there isn't a great deal going on with Di Maria...though I'd assume a lot of that is down to the fact he's still active at the world cup (albeit while injured).

I don't expect it but I wouldn't completely rule it out if United can splash out on massive wages, which they can. The other English clubs can't afford/don't need. Wouldn't expect any German/Italian clubs going for him. That leaves PSG/Monaco.

Yeah I can't understand why all them mercenaries went to City when there was no proof that City would make then CL. Just have to offer the wages, which I'm sure we can now that Rio, Vidic and maybe Evra are off the books

He's also injured. And unavailable.

He is not worth 50 million pounds or whatever being touted tbh.

Something similar to Alexis will be fair.

I do think he is gone from being underrated too overrated now. Can be terribly frustrating though hard working many times. especially playing out wide.

He is not worth 50 million pounds or whatever being touted tbh.

Something similar to Alexis will be fair.

I do think he is gone from being underrated too overrated now. Can be terribly frustrating though hard working many times. especially playing out wide.
Of all the tricky, hit and miss wingers in the World he is the most tricky and least hit and miss.

Completely different player to Sanchez in fairness.

Sanchez is a 20 goals 10 assists per season player. Di Maria is a 10 goals 20 assists per season player.

Status
Not open for further replies.