Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's like Arsenal fans with Ozil. People are a bit too desperate for any quality signing and his rating has gone up and up as the summer has progressed too on here for some reason. I think people remember his form 2nd half of last season in a central role particularly CL final giving him extra hype but there has been Di Maria before that as well.

I'll gladly take a player whom Mourinho, Ancelotti and Van Gaal rate as being a world class winger.

Just a bit. I doubt he was most peoples first choice before the heavy linkage. Top class player, but all of a sudden hes making everyone's top 5 lists.

Truth. I wanted Alexis Sanchez over Di Maria, every day of the week, and I would bet most here did. I'm still excited at the prospect of Di Maria, though I'm not very optimistic it is 'on'.

I definitely don't think he is a 'Top 3 in the world' sort of player. Top 10 perhaps.

Just a bit. I doubt he was most peoples first choice before the heavy linkage. Top class player, but all of a sudden hes making everyone's top 5 lists.
I think most fans have been pretty consistent that Vidal and Di Maria are the standard of players we need to start competing for the title again. Our wingers and midfield have been found wanting for some time and been exposed by the better teams. Thankfully, the better teams have fecked up against the smaller teams, giving the appearance that United still have the best or one of the better squads. That is obviously not reality and was brought home last season.

Di Maria would certainly increase our attacking threat. Something that has been missing for a number of years. United always used to have a score more than them mentality and hopefully that will be the future, rather than stock up at the back and look for a single goal victory.

I would be happy for us to get another striker and Di Maria rather than CM or CB.

I'll gladly take a player whom Mourinho, Ancelotti and Van Gaal rate as being a world class winger.

Well, Mourinho would buy him if he rated him as highly as some on here as a Winger. Willian and Schurrle aren't as good as Hazard anyway.

Ancelotti used him more central as well to compensate for Bale and Ronaldo and that's where his best season came.

Van Gaal mentioned him to illustrate a point as Real were the immediate opponents. And he is a great upgrade on all our wide players indeed if we wanna play 4-3-3.

He was my first choice and i felt alone.

Easy to say that looking back now given the current climate, but at the time the fee comfortably broke the world record and then some. 80m wasn't really a fee you could go higher than without looking completely bonkers, even for Real.

That's what i mean, he's worth double that now, maybe more but there's really no criteria for this sort of thing.

At the time i remember not being too fussed with the fee, whatever it was was too little since we were losing our best player.

I think most fans have been pretty consistent that Vidal and Di Maria are the standard of players we need to start competing for the title again. Our wingers and midfield have been found wanting for some time and been exposed by the better teams. Thankfully, the better teams have fecked up against the smaller teams, giving the appearance that United still have the best or one of the better squads. That is obviously not reality and was brought home last season.

Di Maria would certainly increase our attacking threat. Something that has been missing for a number of years. United always used to have a score more than them mentality and hopefully that will be the future, rather than stock up at the back and look for a single goal victory.

I would be happy for us to get another striker and Di Maria rather than CM or CB.

I would be happy if you did that too, From a rivals point of view of course. Looking at players on paper, or as if you are playing FM is exactly how teams end up collapsing. You have to build a team not just sign big name players in any position.

FFS :lol:

That's what i mean, he's worth double that now, maybe more but there's really no criteria for this sort of thing.

At the time i remember not being too fussed with the fee, whatever it was was too little since we were losing our best player.

There's no way it was too little... you can't do any better than smashing the world transfer record, that is the maximum.

There's no way it was too little... you can't do any better than smashing the world transfer record, that is the maximum.

You can, that's why ludicrous buyout clauses are inserted as deterrents. Isn't Messi's close to a billion? Offer them 87m and i'm sure they'd laugh at you.

Truth. I wanted Alexis Sanchez over Di Maria, every day of the week, and I would bet most here did. I'm still excited at the prospect of Di Maria, though I'm not very optimistic it is 'on'.

I definitely don't think he is a 'Top 3 in the world' sort of player. Top 10 perhaps.

Top 10 is no doubt.

I'd take Di Maria over Alexis and felt that way before Alexis went to Arsenal.

Sanchez has more attacking output when used properly than Di Maria.

Di Maria has better workrate and ball carrying ability.

It's pretty close between them actually depending on what role are you buying for. They are different sort of players.

If you wanna play someone in front 2 in a 3-5-2 then Sanchez is a better bet, while if you want a someone to be the man behind the striker or a Wingback then DI Maria is better.

In a 4-3-3 as a wide players they both offer different virtues slightly. Depends on the supporting cast.

You can, that's why ludicrous buyout clauses are inserted as deterrents. Isn't Messi's close to a billion? Offer them 87m and i'm sure they'd laugh at you.

Messi is held in much higher regard than Ronaldo when he was at United... but if he decided he really wanted to play for another club, then a fee of not much over £100m would do the trick.

Truth. I wanted Alexis Sanchez over Di Maria, every day of the week, and I would bet most here did.

There was actually a thread made that posed the very same question during a time (around the world cup month) when noone was sure where Sanchez or Di Maria were heading, and I remember most naming Di Maria over Sanchez... about the same age, but the former has been better last season and was one of the instrumental players that achieved Madrid's success.

Messi is held in much higher regard than Ronaldo when he was at United... but if he decided he really wanted to play for another club, then a fee of not much over £100m would do the trick.

I guess that was the key in the Ronaldo transfer, the fact it was only Real he wanted. If it had turned into a bidding war who knows what we could have got?

This. He will be our best player if he joins.

Based on what? You cant tell how a player is going to be in a different season in a different league. This is why you buy players for a team not for who they are on paper. RVP, DDG are your best players and DM joining doesn't change that yet.

Well Rooney only scores when he stays in the box, which is next to never. Probably the reason why Fergie wouldn't play him there. RVP, without a dount when he plays.
Just....what? You must literally be the only United fan hoping we sign another striker ahead of other positions currently. Mental.

Errrr what? Have you read that thread by any chance? Revonism at it's finest.
Yeah I read it and people are reluctant to let him go, like him, think he's worth more than 15 million, etc. Nobody thinks its like losing Ronaldo. Hyperbole at its finest.

O

So would I. Di Maria is a sensational player. Rate him above Sanchez.
It's wasn't even close for me, if I had the choice a couple of months back. Would definitely have gone with Di Maria ahead of Sanchez, because of how impressive he was when I saw him last season. He was pretty much Madrid's best player whenever I saw them play last season, and I still can't believe that they've replaced him.

That said, Sanchez is a very good player, and he impressed me a lot during the World Cup. I haven't seen him that much for Barca, but whenever I've seen him he's not really produced the sort of performances I saw from Di Maria last season. And even with the assumption that they're about equally good, I think Di Maria is a better fit for what we need in terms of skill set and which positions he can occupy.

I also believe that Sanchez is a better fit for Arsenal than Di Maria would have been.

Di Maria has something we don't have in the team, which is creativity. He can draw more than one defender creating space for other players, and can create chances on his own for himself or for other players. We don't have a player who can do that in the team. The closest we have is Januzaj, but Di Maria is more mature, more experienced and with a better final ball.

He would be a great addition to the squad, but do we have enough money to buy him?

Di Maria has something we don't have in the team, which is creativity. He can draw more than one defender creating space for other players, and can create chances on his own for himself or for other players. We don't have a player who can do that in the team. The closest we have is Januzaj, but Di Maria is more mature, more experienced and with a better final ball.

He would be a great addition to the squad, but do we have enough money to buy him?

Of course we do. That doesn't mean we'll spend it though, nor does it mean we'll spend to fix the other problems we've got as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.