Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't matter if he really wants to play for us as long as Ed doesn't find his chequebook.

In retrospect, Mata was a complete luxury buy.

Shaw and Herrera will be good long term buys, in fairness. Rojo looks as though he was third choice.

Can't comment on Rojo as WC apart i haven't seen him. Bit unfair to judge him before he's even played for us though, third choice though he may be. We didn't need Mata, however i think there is a similarity with the Di Maria deal, and that's the "too good to pass on" line. While it may be true, we didn't need another number 10. Di Maria is a player to whom that sentence still applies, yet also offers everything we lack going forward.

Almost every transfer in football is paid in installments the only big transfer I can remember being paid upfront was the Bale one. If you think clubs like Real and Barca have hundreds of millions in cash at the end of the season you better think again.

Madrid paid cash for Ronaldo, it was very unusual.

The Bale deal involved some fancy loan arrangement where Spurs (as the borrowers) were able to get the cash up-front but Madrid made the loan payments. Why that was better than Madrid taking out a loan and handing the cash over, I don't know, but apparently it was.

This is one transfer we need to accept any demands Real Madrid ask from us and any demands Di Maria asks from us. We lack world class players and Di Maria would bring back belief, sort of like Ozil did for Arsenal last season. I still don't believe we'll dish out the money when it matters.

Player wants to leave, we need world class players and we have the money, surely it isn't that difficult.

Only Fellaini out of that lot is garbage. Mata was excellent at the end of last season.

A few goals masked some quite ordinary performances. Not denying that he's a great player - just not sure he's at the right club at the right time.

You carry on burying your head under the sand - you won't win any prizes.
Well after that last chap agreed with you it seems like I'm on my own now, everyone has come around to your way of thinking :lol:

This really would be the best signing we've ever made. On paper anyway.

Angel Di Maria. MOTM in last season's CL final and the engine behind that campaign.

For the last summers we have spent our money on players that have become available on the cheap not on players that we really need Kagawa, Mata, RVP were all bought because they were unwanted or had little time left on their contracts but the big problem areas in our team central midfield and wingers we did nothing to correct. It is like we are playing some moneyball strategy without looking at our squad and which players we need but only buying those who become available at a cut price for various reasons.

Can't comment on Rojo as WC apart i haven't seen him. Bit unfair to judge him before he's even played for us though, third choice though he may be. We didn't need Mata, however i think there is a similarity with the Di Maria deal, and that's the "too good to pass on" line. While it may be true, we didn't need another number 10. Di Maria is a player to whom that sentence still applies, yet also offers everything we lack going forward.

At least Di Maria has the right skill set to make a difference. I'd drop Mata for him.

Not judging Rojo yet, just saying that he seems to have been third choice - make of that what you will.

Madrid paid cash for Ronaldo, it was very unusual.

The Bale deal involved some fancy loan arrangement where Spurs (as the borrowers) were able to get the cash up-front but Madrid made the loan payments. Why that was better than Madrid taking out a loan and handing the cash over, I don't know, but apparently it was.

I would imagine Spurs took out the financial instrument backed by the agreement of Madrid to pay the transfer fee in installments. That would unlock their money upfront (at a cost to them)

Real taking out a loan would mean they would have a debt liability against them to a financial institution (for which significant interest would be paid)

I think Spurs were probably desperate to get the cash upfront so they would have had to pay the costs of that so they could splunk the cash on a load of shite players...

Well after that last chap agreed with you it seems like I'm on my own now, everyone has come around to your way of thinking :lol:

The mood of the majority of the forum has shifted. People are rightly annoyed with the club producing another rubbish summer transfer window performance. Player recruitment is important when the squad needs replenishing like United's does.

At least Di Maria has the right skill set to make a difference. I'd drop Mata for him.

Not judging Rojo yet, just saying that he seems to have been third choice - make of that what you will.

Only that Hummels is better than him, not really a slight. Vermaelen, yeah that's a bit worrying, i guess we'll see how it goes.

Real Madrid could not be doing any more to offer us a proper player without any stumbling blocks and we haven't signed the fecker yet. The problem runs deep and it's to do with financing. Madrid, like most any other top club just want their valuation paid in cash, United pay always in installments since the Glazer era, just look at the structure of the Rojo deal as an example. We do not have 50 mill in up front capital to pay Madrid and therefore he won't go to us unless Perez has a particularly nasty case of Ronaldo deal sentimentality.

This, in a nutshell, is why we cannot buy top players.
I don'th Woodward would have problems securing favourable terms with a bank to finance the deal outright and then pay that back in installments would end 5%-10% more costly but what is £5m in a deal of this nature. I think the problem is the player's reluctance to come and the transfer will only be sealed when every other option he has has been written off.

I hope Real wont change their minds after todays game because it looks like they will lost today.

A few goals masked some quite ordinary performances. Not denying that he's a great player - just not sure he's at the right club at the right time.
Agreed, but remember we were managed by the dinosaur. Moyes didn't know what the feck to do with the team.
I have no doubt that Mata will be an instrumental player for us this system.

This. I'm just not sure whether he's a "Manchester United" player or not.

This :)

If they say to him he wiil not be sold there is not much he can do.
But on the other hand no club will keep a player that isn't happy there and doesn't want to play for them. Especially if they can be sold for a considerable amount of money.

And this has to change or we will not compete at the top. Even Arsenal, arguably the only club in world football to be less ambitious in the market relative to size than us have realised this.

Football is about how much money you have and how well you spend it.

I agree, but sometimes how much we spend won't matter much if players are not willing to move to Manchester and only look at us as second or third options even over teams like PSG. We have tried and failed to sign big players before, only for them to prefer teams like Chelsea because they are in London. That factor is huge. How many elite players have we failed to acquire after being strongly linked with them or even after showing the money? Ronaldinho, Robben, Ozil, Hazard, Fabregas, Alcantara, Ballack, Lucas Moura, Kroos (debatable), Kluivert, Alan Shearer, Gareth Bale. Ballack was quoted as saying this about his United snub 'But Chelsea was growing really quickly, so I wanted to be part of this. I saw we could reach something really, really big in the next few years. Also, London is a place I was excited to live with my family'

Now that Arsenal are spending big, expect them to outmuscle us for big signings

So, Is Di maria injured? not even on the bench tonight against Athletico

Status
Not open for further replies.