Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're probably right. But between the course of two press conferences, he's gone from saying a player can be signed in 24 hours to saying the transfer window is tough. A pathetic turnaround that says a lot about the club's inability to get the job done. Yet again, we've given it the big talk and failed to deliver.

Yep. Can't say its a surprise, the club is a joke.

You're probably right. But between the course of two press conferences, he's gone from saying a player can be signed in 24 hours to saying the transfer window is tough. A pathetic turnaround that says a lot about the club's inability to get the job done. Yet again, we've given it the big talk and failed to deliver.
He probably didn't realize how inept Woodward was

I'm completely punch-drunk when it comes to United and transfers. We seem to land the average players and get gazumped as soon as a top drawer player is available - it's happened a ridiculous amount during the last few summers.

Understand the worry, nothing yet suggests it will not happen again. Also, not expecting anything will help come the day when this or any other transfer concludes whichever way. But if I just look at this transfer in isolation, there are few things that is falling our way. Di Maria is definitely on his way out, ffp somehow is managing to bother Psg who otherwise would've just buried this. Blanc's statement suggesting doubt. Monaco seem to be spiralling down. Not too many other teams linked. Rojo albeit being a muppet himself could help, lvg admires him. We do have money.

Maybe I'm being too hopeful and surely we are bound to get one fecking muppet signing.

Understand the worry, nothing yet suggests it will not happen again. Also not expecting anything will help come the day when this or any other transfer concludes whichever way. But if I just look at this transfer in isolation, there are few things that is falling our way. Di Maria is definitely on his way out, ffp somehow is managing to bother Psg who otherwise would've just buried this. Blanc's statement suggesting doubt. Monaco seem to be spiralling down. Not too many other teams linked. Rojo albeit being a muppet himself could help, lvg admires him. We do have money.

Maybe I'm being too hopeful and surely we are bound to get one fecking muppet signing.

It's not a case of wanting a muppet signing, we desperately need two more players to be competitive (in terms of the top four race). We're a world class midfielder and a top quality winger short - it's as clear as day.

If LvG is happy to go into the season with what we have, then he should be questioned. I think he'd happily take new players, but it's likely the club are failing him.

Understand the worry, nothing yet suggests it will not happen again. Also not expecting anything will help come the day when this or any other transfer concludes whichever way. But if I just look at this transfer in isolation, there are few things that is falling our way. Di Maria is definitely on his way out, ffp somehow is managing to bother Psg who otherwise would've just buried this. Blanc's statement suggesting doubt. Monaco seem to be spiralling down. Not too many other teams linked. Rojo albeit being a muppet himself could help, lvg admires him. We do have money.

When was our last genuine 'muppet' signing though? We've always produced great players, never been able to attract them from other clubs. The fact that we're accepting that PSG signing Di Maria would've been a cinch (in spite of our interest) if not for FFP shows a lot. I wont cry if we don't get him, but I know the media and the ABUs will be yapping off

It's not a case of wanting a muppet signing, we desperately need two more players to be competitive (in terms of the top four race). We're a world class midfielder and a top quality winger short - it's as clear as day.

If LvG is happy to go into the season with what we have, then he should be questioned. I think he'd happily take new players, but it's likely the club are failing him.

Players don't want to move to Manchester. What can you do?

I dont think we will sign another CB, we are done there. We have only been linked with Hummels and Benatia. Hummels is seems unavailable. I honestly haven't seen much of Benatia so I don't know what we could be potentially missing out on. In fact, id wager most people wanting him haven't seen much of him either. I doubt there a huge following of Serie A in the caf.

I have seen a load of spanish football on the other hand. Di Maria would add a lot of quality to our already very good attack. Him and Modric were the best Madrid players in all their big games.

By Muppet I meant world class really.
Pretty sure he won't be delighted if we go in with just what we have even if he says so. He doesn't believe in buying players for the heck of it, but he is also intelligent enough to understand balance and need. He will need time to establish his philosophy and having world class players will only help it being achieved faster.

Real Madrid could not be doing any more to offer us a proper player without any stumbling blocks and we haven't signed the fecker yet. The problem runs deep and it's to do with financing. Madrid, like most any other top club just want their valuation paid in cash, United pay always in installments since the Glazer era, just look at the structure of the Rojo deal as an example. We do not have 50 mill in up front capital to pay Madrid and therefore he won't go to us unless Perez has a particularly nasty case of Ronaldo deal sentimentality.

This, in a nutshell, is why we cannot buy top players.

When was our last genuine 'muppet' signing though? We've always produced great players, never been able to attract them from other clubs. The fact that we're accepting that PSG signing Di Maria would've been a cinch (in spite of our interest) if not for FFP shows a lot. I wont cry if we don't get him, but I know the media and the ABUs will be yapping off

Should have used World Class instead of Muppet. RVP was definitely world class, you are right about players not willing to come though, if that is the case then there's not much one can do. But this is why we should be identifying players that wants to come and get them fast (world class or otherwise). I am glad about all our signings this summer, its only on relative terms that still we seem weak. If I judge this summer as a single isolated entity, then it's been decent.

One more reason di Maria's a perfect fit:

Unlike almost every other player, I don't see the lack of Champions' League as much of a factor that would tempt him to go elsewhere. He just won it, not only that but he was also named MOTM. He already checked that box.

Playing time is surely his biggest motivation. He's at his peak and doesn't want to be on the bench. He knows he'll play here. Not even PSG can guarantee that, definitely not Barca.

Real Madrid could not be doing any more to offer us a proper player without any stumbling blocks and we haven't signed the fecker yet. The problem runs deep and it's to do with financing. Madrid, like most any other top club just want their valuation paid in cash, United pay always in installments since the Glazer era, just look at the structure of the Rojo deal as an example. We do not have 50 mill in up front capital to pay Madrid and therefore he won't go to us unless Perez has a particularly nasty case of Ronaldo deal sentimentality.

Almost every transfer in football is paid in installments the only big transfer I can remember being paid upfront was the Bale one. If you think clubs like Real and Barca have hundreds of millions in cash at the end of the season you better think again.

Should have used World Class instead of Muppet. RVP was definitely world class, you are right about players not willing to come though, if that is the case then there's not much one can do. But this is why we should be identifying players that wants to come and get them fast (world class or otherwise). I am glad about all our signings this summer, its only on relative terms that still we seem weak. If I judge this summer as a single isolated entity, then it's been decent.

You can't judge our transfer dealings independently of our rivals - we have to benchmark against the competition.

We finished 7th last season and we've fallen even further behind in terms of squad quality - it's been a poor summer.

feck Woodward and feck the Glazers too.

Almost every transfer in football is paid in installments the only big transfer I can remember being paid upfront was the Bale one. If you think clubs like Real and Barca have hundreds of millions in cash at the end of the season you better think again.

Yep.

And wasn't Shaw's deal £27M up front with £1M performance related addons? So basically upfront anyway.

I'm completely punch-drunk when it comes to United and transfers. We seem to land the average players and get gazumped as soon as a top drawer player is available - it's happened a ridiculous amount during the last few summers.

Agreed but I actually think we might finally get a top draw signing.

We do well signing players when they already want to leave and we have little or no competition for them - see RVP and Mata for the only two examples of higher profile buys we have made in 10 years.

This transfer could pay for itself in that the boost could give us some momentum to scrape fourth.

Without a couple of big signings I think our chances of fourth are slim. The squad is truly dire.

Agreed but I actually think we might finally get a top draw signing.

We do well signing players when they already want to leave and we have little or no competition for them - see RVP and Mata for the only two examples of higher profile buys we have made in 10 years.

This transfer could pay for itself in that the boost could give us some momentum to scrape fourth.

Without a couple of big signings I think our chances of fourth are slim. The squad is truly dire.

I know. I started a thread a week or two back based on this and was widely ridiculed. Seems people are now coming round to my way of thinking.

Unless, you know, the player doesn't want to go to Manchester and would prefer Paris or Munich.
That would be a stumbling block you are blithely overlooking.

And this has to change or we will not compete at the top. Even Arsenal, arguably the only club in world football to be less ambitious in the market relative to size than us have realised this.

Football is about how much money you have and how well you spend it.

And this has to change or we will not compete at the top. Even Arsenal, arguably the only club in world football to be less ambitious in the market relative to size than us have realised this.

Football is about how much money you have and how well you spend it.

Unfortunately it is looking that way, and although Woodward has been talking the big bollox, we truly suck at this spending game.

You can't judge our transfer dealings independently of our rivals - we have to benchmark against the competition.

We finished 7th last season and we've fallen even further behind in terms of squad quality - it's been a poor summer.

Last summer was the actual disaster. We just have too much to do in one summer, compounded by various other factors.

We've spent £137m on Fellaini, Mata, Shaw, Hererra and Rojo. We've splashed the cash on garbage.

That was my point... regarding football being about how much you spend and how well you spend it

We've spent £137m on Fellaini, Mata, Shaw, Hererra and Rojo. We've splashed the cash on garbage.

Tbf Fellaini is arguably the only player there you could class as "garbage", however Mata i think was a panic buy, and certainly not needed. Di Maria is a different case altogether, but the money is/has been there.

Tbf Fellaini is arguably the only player there you could class as "garbage", however Mata i think was a panic buy, and certainly not needed. Di Maria is a different case altogether, but the money is/has been there.

In retrospect, Mata was a complete luxury buy.

Shaw and Herrera will be good long term buys, in fairness. Rojo looks as though he was third choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.