Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not going to underestimate Woody's ability to make a pig's ear of this.

He doesn't have to make a pig's ear of it for us to lose him. PSG are capable of selling and buying, if they want him enough (do we want any of theirs?) Even at this stage Madrid may decide not to sell. We, with our pressure to act, may not be able to play a waiting game for Di Maria we may have to move on - hopefully before a late failure on Di Maria wrecks our transfer plans.

Spot on. It would make zero sense not having someone like him in the prospect of playing 4-3-3.
I think some people have 1) Forgotten how bad our current crop of wingers are and 2) how good Di Maria can be on the wing despite the success in central areas last season. He was essentially shoehorned to compensate for the loss of Ozil and the arrival of Bale - although he had already played in a midfield 3 earlier on in his career.

I keep seeing people say we don't need to invest in that area of the team but I mean really? Januzaj still has it all to do and many believe he'll flourish in a central role in the future rather than outwide, Valencia might score and assist about 5 a season if you're lucky and Nani gets paid by us but won't be wearing red.

If van Gaal wants a player with great ability on either wing, and United can negotiate a fair deal it's a no-brainer. I don't think it would deter us from any potential CM options on the money side although it's obvious Woody has a team of people doing a full CBA on everything this summer.

Great post.
He is also better than what we currently have on the wings and would improve the team.

Last edited:
Think we should anticipate this one a little better than the Mata deal, much as I love Mata, and he will do well, he was a panic buy, not at all what we needed at the time, Di Maria is surely similar to this.

It seems like we are saying it is getting late in the window, fans are getting angry, sponsors twitchy, we need to do something, a statement signing of some sort, the idea been to settle the fans (and sponsors), and get the squad going, which it might, but surely this is the wrong guy, and the wrong position we need to fill, added to that he has been available for ages, so we either didn't fancy him earlier on, or he just didn't fancy us, if it is the latter he is only interested now because PSG can't complete the deal so he will reluctantly join us if we pay him stupid money, no thanks not for me.

If we have £60 million, and £220 k per week to blow surely it's better spent on something like, Carvalho (£20-£25 million £60 k per wk), Cuadrado (£30 million £100 k per wk), and De Jong (£6 million £60 k per wk, or loan), actually more along the lines of what we need right now.

Would definitely be a great addition but hope we get a cm and centre back too.

I'd be happy with a blind/de Jong and Vlaar short term, Dutch fix.

Just seen on twitter that Arsenal have had a bid accepted for Cavani so that's Di Maria to PSG I guess!

As soon as I saw that he'd asked to leave Madrid, I knew we had no chance. I'd be willing to bet my 2 1/2 inch dick that we do not sign him.

That's it, Cavani to PSG reported on Twitter, it's over I can't say I'm surprised :(

Seriously though, come on, Twitter?

Ehm forgot that Silva could go to United? With David Villa? United were in the CL, City werent, United was at that time the best/biggest club in England, City were nothing but he still went to City.. Aguero was a top top target that season, and many top clubs were interested, still went to City.
1. You've missed the point spectacularly. I never said money wasn't a factor, but it's not the only one. Silva could have gone anywhere including Arsenal, Barcelona, Madrid & Chelsea (who all actually bid). Valencia sold to the highest bidder (City who had finished 5th adn so were in Eurpe, unlike our current suituation) who wasn't a direct rival (so he went abroad). Yes City paid plenty to Silva, wages which at the time were obscene. The point was he wasn't world class just yet, though he was close. He was the best of that lot bought by them summer (Boateng, Silva, Toure etc). So no he wouldn't have gone to United - we were never in that race as at the time we still had a high debt and our wage ceiling was much lower than it is now. And what do you mean "with David Villa"? He went to Barcelona...we never were in for Silva (mistakenly) as we had an in-form Nani at the time.

2.You've targeted 2 names out of 10 - that isn't a trend. What I illustrated is.

3. Aguero - also not an option for us at the time with Berbatov & Rooney on the books. He wasn't going to Madrid due to being an Atletico player. Barcelona had Eto'o at the time already. When Aguero joined City in 2011 they had finished higher at 3rd and thus had guaranteed ECL football - so even more attractive to players, and yes wages we couldn't compete with once again with our debt still high.

I'm not saying we won't get Di Maria but the probability is lower than it usually is after our terrible last season. We rarely get these players due to our wage structure..it's been harder w/o ECL now.

Just seen on twitter that Arsenal have had a bid accepted for Cavani so that's Di Maria to PSG I guess!

This guy has 18,000 followers and works for some really small time South African TV show, he's also posting pictures of Cavani in an Arsenal shirt. He's wumming to get more followers.

I was just about post I wonder if Cavani will be going somewhere to facilitate the move, I dont think they need him, hes not the best striker around.

Buying a load of random world class players doesn't win you everything, look at Real Madrid. That being said I would be disappointed if we didnt piss the EPL if we had him as well.

Him out wide, instead of Schurrle. He's such a Mourinho type, a quality but hard working team player defensively, and lightening quick on counter attacks. Also one of the best high pressers of the ball you can find. Obviously he will also know him better than anyone too having managed him for 3 years.

Why would a South African no mark get the drop on a huge deal like that between a French club and an English one?

Fishing for followers and clicks for his site/tv show, nothing more.

Buying a load of random world class players doesn't win you everything, look at Real Madrid. That being said I would be disappointed if we didnt piss the EPL if we had him as well.
They only had to make do with La Decima, how disappointing...

Call me crazy but I think we'll sign him. I'm basing that just on a hunch of course.

No you're not, you're basing that on the fact he has said he wants to leave Madrid, PSG are struggling to qualify the payment and United are the only other reported suitors.

So no, I won't call you crazy.

I think we'd possibly be wiser seizing on PSGs desperation and trying to get Matuidi from them. See how much they want Di Maria then.

Status
Not open for further replies.