Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't imagine Di Maria staying at Real after all this. He clearly feels under appreciated and valued by the Real hierarchy and his salary is noway reflective of his actual standing within the squad. Real are willing to sell him for a fixed price which we should be able to negotiate down a fair bit. PSG seem to have pulled out and I can't see any other clubs being interested as of now.

LVG clearly values him as a player and we are fairly loaded, with a record signing of this magnitude vindicating Ed's earlier words. It all just points to us signing him but I am still fairly unconvinced and won't believe it till its done.

I wasn't going to reply to you at first, but I could tell you put in a lot of effort so I figured I'd have the courtesy to reply

Heaps of clubs wanted Aguero, Silva and Villa around that time. Aguero was probably the 3rd highest scorer in the league behind you know who. They were some of the most talked about transfer targets of the time & were probably spoke about more highly than someone like Koke is now, or Thiago Alcantara.... plus Atletico were hardly bad back then. They were in the champions league just before he left and even when he left they made it...Valencia were also UCL regulars at that time

Dzeko was highly sought after and when joining City had to fight off accusations about going there for the money

Balotelli, Tevez, etc. Chelsea were all over Robinho like we've been for Vidal pretty much.. and he went to City from a champions league club, to them.

We can come up with reasons why anyone chose to go there instead of the big clubs, but facts are they were highly sought after and chose to go to City for "the project".

We also wanted a few of the players that they ended up with. They were just offering a lot more money.

Herrera and Rojo were supposed to be in the champions league this year for their old clubs :lol: if players really were as stupid as you think they are to reject a team like us just because we're out for 1 season, Herrera and Rojo wouldn't be here right now. Also I'm sure Chelsea wanted Luke Shaw, which was why Mourinho was crying to the media about the money we used on him.

A lot of players will move if the price is right. It's not all fecking doom and gloom like some of you think

lol the Robinho situation is almost the same situation as Di Maria
You've missed the point also - no one said they weren't highly sought after - i listed about 6 clubs who wanted Silva. My point was NONE of them were a Ronaldo, Messi, Kaka or as now Di Maria i.e. champions league winners, and none of them stepped down due to their move (and you're missing my point with Valencia - they were perennially in 3rd or 4th place but never actually close to winning la liga since benitez left them). City was in a better position financially (better wages) and wrt European football (finishing 3rd & 4th and going into Europe - steadily climbing the PL which was THE top league from 2008-2011 due to us, liverpool and chelsea being forces in Europe).

Also Builbao and SPorting do not compare to us - which is my point :wenger: - we should be raiding clubs like them, as it's easier than raiding Madrid or barcelona (we've failed perennially trying to prise stars from those two). Are you sure you read my post properly? I'm saying we should be getting players from Sociedad, Valencia, Inter or Fiorentina etc vs wasting time and the whole window trying for barca players (like Fabregas) or Real players.

And the Robinho situation is not the same as Di Maria - the manager of RM at the time did not want Robinho. Ancelotti still wants Di maria. It's Perez and FFP that is leading them to auction him (to get Falcao to replace benzema).

My point is yes we can be confident we'll be back in Europe next year (Europa or Champions league), but not every player is willing to take that leap of faith when they are already at a big club. If PSG can actually afford ADM within FP there is a greater chance he will go there than here, history or no history. Same as Silva et al went to City. It is mainly wages in question here, but in this case we're offering the same wages as PSG..if he goes there or stays at Madrid it will be about football.

He may come to us, but I wouldn't bet on it. That's not doom and gloom - I thinkw e can get plenty players but not the absolute best due to our lack of Europe. Next year we'll have better chances with a better finish.

Last edited:
He wants to leave, we want to sign him, no-one else can seemingly afford him. I think any deal depends on two things: How much he wants out, i.e can a wages compromise be reached? Tbf many thought this of Kroos too. And also, how much we want him. Are we showing a passing interest and walking on when Madrid demand silly money or do we want him to be our new number 7 no matter what?

You can understand why any top player would be hesitant to join us at the moment. We may be able to pay top wages but there is a possibility we may not be competing for tittles for a while. Last year really fecked us up.

Really hope we get Di Maria but have this horrible feeling he will snub us. I just can't explain it, it's like a bad gut feeling that won't go away. No matter how much it points to us that he's coming, Im just waiting for that crushing moment. Does anyone else think this? I know the muppet madness is alive and well on this thread. I'm all for the optimism lad's just don't trust dirty PSG. I hope I'm wrong, still think Vidal is the more likely for some reason. Either would be fantastic, both would be one of the best summers ever.

Why the feck cant we just sign the best scouts from Porto, Sporting and Benfica in his case? Would save all this aggro

The reasons they go to Portugal is that the league allows third party ownership, easier to get a European work visa and less of a culture shock, especially for South Americans.

The reasons they go to Portugal is that the league allows third party ownership, easier to get a European work visa and less of a culture shock, especially for South Americans.
This - it's not that they have better scouts, but that their country is easier to get into, especially for Brasilians - a former colony.

This - it's not that they have better scouts, but that their country is easier to get into, especially for Brasilians - a former colony.
The restrictions that are placed on non EU players is madness IMO. Has to be done away with asap.

Our attack will be formidable with Januzaj and Di Maria on either side of it. Its a shame our midfield will still be a shambles this season.

You can understand why any top player would be hesitant to join us at the moment. We may be able to pay top wages but there is a possibility we may not be competing for tittles for a while. Last year really fecked us up.

Ah bullshite. How long can this be spun as more and more sought-after purchases make their way to OT? Any more than one more player and people will start complaining about bedding-in all these new players. We've a load of players still on out books with PL medals, now we've brought in an Argentinian international, the BYT of the PL and a future star of the PL. With Di Maria, this only augments an ever-improving first team and if we get, say I dunno, Vidal, then surely we're at a point where we can look at City, Chelsea and Arsenal and say "watch your backs".

From the Manchester United Facebook page. That comment :lol:

cb6872ae5dac3945d3690c97ee6f6fa0.png

He doesn't have to make a pig's ear of it for us to lose him. PSG are capable of selling and buying, if they want him enough (do we want any of theirs?) Even at this stage Madrid may decide not to sell. We, with our pressure to act, may not be able to play a waiting game for Di Maria we may have to move on - hopefully before a late failure on Di Maria wrecks our transfer plans.

Verratti would be heaven-sent for us at this late stage of the transfer window. I'm a big fan of Matuidi too but he's a player who seems to do his best work further up the pitch, and we hardly need another of those. Verratti now and Reus next summer and I could almost be gracious about it if we miss out on Di Maria. :D

Lots of rumours about Cavani to Arsenal, clearing the way for Di Maria to PSG. All Twitter bollocks anyway, so take it with a pinch of salt.

Self feeding rumour. Mundo Deportivo ran the story yesterday in their transfer gossip section as Arsenal offering 40m + Giroud to PSG for Cavani. They described the story as being "from England" - then we get the twitter lot recycling it again. Mind you, Giroud on the bench in case of injury to Zlatan and Di Maria in, does have a kind of odd logic to it. Which is probably why the story appeared.

Manchester United lead the race to sign Real Madrid winger Angel Di Maria, 26, after big-spending French champions Paris St-Germain pulled out. (Daily Star)

But Di Maria may not move to Old Trafford because United boss Louis van Gaal does not want to harm the development of 19-year-old Adnan Januzaj. (Daily Express)

Hope that is not true, he can develope Januzaj just as well as having Di Maria in the side - we simply must move for him if it is possible!

no reason it should harm Adnan's development imo, not if we sell Kagawa anyway (which I think we should if we get Di Maria)

Di Maria would be a fantastic player for Adnan to learn from as well

tbh I would love us to get a double deal for Di Maria & Khedira as they would both be a huge boost to the team/squad to have.

But Di Maria may not move to Old Trafford because United boss Louis van Gaal does not want to harm the development of 19-year-old Adnan Januzaj. (Daily Express)

Classic nonsensical hack dribble, they'll say anything to put a unique slant on a story everyone else is running. They don't care how moronic it sounds.

LvG has already given the answer to that.. "we don't have wingers of the highest level, like Ronaldo or Di Maria or somebody like that".

It's the express. They make up shit.

But if we are sticking with 3-5-2 which loaning out Nani while keeping Young, Valencia and buying Rojo suggested then that is right.

If we are going to 4-3-3 however it makes much more sense.

Signing Di Maria pretty much depends on if Van Gaal thinks it is time to abandon the 3-5-2 already and that we have the midfielders and CB's for a 4-3-3.

Di Maria and Januzaj in the team playing narrow? Don't think so.
You don't think that Januzaj, who is originally an attacking-midfielder and loves to cut in to play the through ball and Di Maria who thrived last season when playing more central can play in a narrow 4-2-3-1?

Status
Not open for further replies.