Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully something actually happens with this tomorrow. Hoping that it won't be one of those where it looks on, then nothing happens for days after and you slowly realise it is off.

Can't believe the FFP is trying to help us yet we seem to be struggling to take the help. There aren't enough clubs that can shell out that sort of dosh and comply with FFP and luckily we're one of them. We keep this incompetence up Pool or Arsenal might have a bad match soon and panic buy.

its a real bundle of laughs :nervous:

This is on until the club leaks that we are not interested. They immediately did that with Vidal, Benatia but everything seems quiet Di Maria wise. Hopefully something concrete happens tomorrow.

I think Woodwards under some serious pressure to pull this off, I'm beginning to believe it will happen as long as we act fast now it's public knowledge he wants to leave Madrid. If we think we can wait a week or two we will miss out again, there's now going to be plenty of clubs along with PSG, provided they can sell to meet FFP, who will be considering bidding for him. The fact van Gaal let Nani leave and has also mentioned Di Maria by name when complaining about our lack of quality on the wings really does get the muppet juices flowing.

Hopefully something actually happens with this tomorrow. Hoping that it won't be one of those where it looks on, then nothing happens for days after and you slowly realise it is off.

This has last day Ozil scenario written all over it, just hope it's us waiting around for the confirmation. I would not pay over £45m for him though.

I think Woodwards under some serious pressure to pull this off, I'm beginning to believe it will happen as long as we act fast now it's public knowledge he wants to leave Madrid. If we think we can wait a week or two we will miss out again, there's now going to be plenty of clubs along with PSG, provided they can sell to meet FFP, who will be considering bidding for him. The fact van Gaal let Nani leave and has also mentioned Di Maria by name when complaining about our lack of quality on the wings really does get the muppet juices flowing.
There is talk that LVG will walk if Woodward can't get the players he wants in! :eek:

You don't buy for the sake of buying. You purchase players to fit a system.

I'd counter that with RVP signing - he wasn't one we needed but, it once it was a possibility, it was too good to pass up. There are some players you just buy if they are available and Di Maria is one of those. Work out the other stuff afterwards otherwise left to regret it.

I think the club is struggling to move a lot of players they don't want but, that IMO should not stop us from pouncing on Di Maria.

Di Maria would make an improvement to the team though,I don't see why he couldn't do defensive duties also with a 3-5-2 ?

Louis van Gaal keeps calling it a 3-4-3 so I think ideally he wants the team to be so dominant and push the opponents back so much the wide players spend the game playing as wide midfielders instead of wing backs and Juan Mata almost a third striker.

So to be this deal makes so much sense, even then he could go with the diamond with Di Maria and Herrera at the number 8s.

There is talk that LVG will walk if Woodward can't get the players he wants in! :eek:
Of course he will walk, Van Gaal takes no shit, that is what makes him so good. If people are not up to his standards then he gets rid of them. If the problem person is in a higher position than he is then he cannot do his job properly and is not being backed up he will leave.

Back in May, all talk of United's reported shopping spree.

If someone told you United's signings before deadline day would be Shaw/Herrera/Di Maria/Rojo, would everyone have been happy with that?

Not sure i would, not too disappointing on paper IF (big if) we get Di Maria, but still feel we are missing a central midfielder and possibly defender.

If someone told you United's signings before deadline day would be Shaw/Herrera/Di Maria/Rojo, would everyone have been happy with that?
No because there is still a gaping hole in central midfield that we havent addressed even after bringing in Herrera.

I'd be concerned with our lack of depth at CM, but getting in a player like Di Maria is not something you get a chance to do every summer unless you're Madrid or Barca. If we were to get Di Maria, that Lucas Silve bloke and Khedira or Blind I'd be very happy with this window although not with the timing of when the players were brought in.

No. We needed 2 top CB's and 2 top CM's to challenge. Herrera and Rojo are still unproven at the very highest level.

Not sure i would, not too disappointing on paper IF (big if) we get Di Maria, but still feel we are missing a central midfielder and possibly defender.
Add Khedira and we are all set.

This has last day Ozil scenario written all over it, just hope it's us waiting around for the confirmation. I would not pay over £45m for him though.

Yeah, I'd hate to see us pay even that much. Maybe somewhere in the 35 mil range with add on's (like CL spot).

Who do you think he will join on deadline day out of curiosity?
At the moment united seems to be his most likely destination. Maybe other teams will try to take advantage of the situation though like perhaps Chelsea or maybe psg will make a last minute attempt if the price is lowered and he is willing to lower his demands (im not sure what their situation is with ffp).

At the moment united seems to be his most likely destination. Maybe other teams will try to take advantage of the situation though like perhaps Chelsea or maybe psg will make a last minute attempt if the price is lowered and he is willing to lower his demands (im not sure what their situation is with ffp).
Chelsea? Pretty sure they could comfortably meet the fee and wages without breaching FFP.

Chelsea? Pretty sure they could comfortably meet the fee and wages without breaching FFP.
I meant psg. Although Im pretty sure its not so easy for Chelsea either as they had to sell mata in order to fund their signings this summer.

I meant psg. Although Im pretty sure its not so easy for Chelsea either as they had to sell mata in order to fund their signings this summer.

Mata and Dee bruyne covered the Jan signings and then some. Luiz, Lukaku, and Ba have covered the summers and we may still yet be selling Cech or Schurrle( the only way I would advocate Schurrle being sold is for Di Maria.

All adding Di Maria would do for them is cause disruption. Unless Schrulle or Hazard are leaving.

I felt that way initially, but now feel the opposite. Still think PSG will pull it off somehow though...
I just can't see a player of his calibre coming to a club with no Champions League. Hopefully Rojo's arrival bodes well.

I think some people have 1) Forgotten how bad our current crop of wingers are and 2) how good Di Maria can be on the wing despite the success in central areas last season. He was essentially shoehorned to compensate for the loss of Ozil and the arrival of Bale - although he had already played in a midfield 3 earlier on in his career.

I keep seeing people say we don't need to invest in that area of the team but I mean really? Januzaj still has it all to do and many believe he'll flourish in a central role in the future rather than outwide, Valencia might score and assist about 5 a season if you're lucky and Nani gets paid by us but won't be wearing red.

If van Gaal wants a player with great ability on either wing, and United can negotiate a fair deal it's a no-brainer. I don't think it would deter us from any potential CM options on the money side although it's obvious Woody has a team of people doing a full CBA on everything this summer.

Surely Di Maria is there for the taking? He wants to leave and our competition for him has said that FFP could restrict them. We said we are not scared to break our transfer record on a player. Lets prove it.

I think some people have 1) Forgotten how bad our current crop of wingers are and 2) how good Di Maria can be on the wing despite the success in central areas last season. He was essentially shoehorned to compensate for the loss of Ozil and the arrival of Bale - although he had already played in a midfield 3 earlier on in his career.

I keep seeing people say we don't need to invest in that area of the team but I mean really? Januzaj still has it all to do and many believe he'll flourish in a central role in the future rather than outwide, Valencia might score and assist about 5 a season if you're lucky and Nani gets paid by us but won't be wearing red.

If van Gaal wants a player with great ability on either wing, and United can negotiate a fair deal it's a no-brainer. I don't think it would deter us from any potential CM options on the money side although it's obvious Woody has a team of people doing a full CBA on everything this summer.

Spot on. It would make zero sense not having someone like him in the prospect of playing 4-3-3.

The trouble is I do think this could go to the last day which makes him a dangerous player to pin any hope on. He can't be the key one who we need to make the team work. He's the "cherry on the top" signing.

As such he's ideally suited to PSG. I suspect someone will crack and buy some of their players. Madrid's opinion on "loan with guaranteed purchase next summer" would change if they were offered Verrati. Sooner or later PSG will find a buyer/buyers. I'd be surprised if Chelsea act, but that doesn't mean they can't or won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.