Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like Rob said, he'd be a luxury signing. We'd be better off signing a player we need in a position we need to strengthen. We aren't playing with wingers atm so its a bit pointless to sign a winger. Instead of shoehorning 4-5 players into 3 positions, we should focus on building from the back.
But we will start playing with wingers again as LVG eluded to if we had the right players. People still don't seem to be getting this. He likes to play with wingers, but because all our current ones are average to sh*t side Januzaj. We can't at the moment. But if we get Di Maria, 3-5-2 will be out of the window and in will come 4-3-3.

The sponsorship deals Woody has signed up makes me think he's like the Tom Cruise character in Tropic Thunder when it comes to negotiations. He needs to bring some of that attitude to Florentino Perez and get these deals tied up.

But we will start playing with wingers again as LVG eluded to if we had the right players. People still don't seem to be getting this. He likes to play with wingers, but because all our current ones are average to sh*t side Januzaj. We can't at the moment. But if we get Di Maria, 3-5-2 will be out of the window and in will come 4-3-3.
If we're going to play with wingers again its not just about buying one winger. Centre halves capable of playing in a 2 successfully and at the moment we don't have the quality in midfield. It also puts one of Rooney and RvP on the bench.

Di Maria has just won the CL so shouldn't matter too much to him!

It will be who offers more and if he/his family are fine with living in Manchester and not Paris.

So many people say this and I'm fecking sick of it. Just look at the caliber of players that City bought when they were still shit... far worse off than us and still managed to get players that the big clubs wanted. MONEY
First of all City's lack of success sine they've bought these players should tell you they've been overspending to just about reach where we were more than 10 years ago (2 titles, a cup or two and not making it past the group phase in Europe). Who did City buy that were top tier players like Vidal and Di maria are? And which big clubs did they beat to them? The caliber of players City bough is exactly who we should be going for - those witht he potential to become world class - we are going after finished products vs what City went after. Were any of these players world class or considered so at the time?

1. Silva - Nope. he was at Valencia and at a level below Barca and Real at the time. So great player )but not world class yet) at 2nd tier club who are even further back now
2. Aguero - nope. Was at Atletico - whipping boys for Real until 2 years ago
3. Kompany, Zabaleta or Hart - all bought ont he cheap and unknown to most ppl
4. Negredo - from another 2nd tier Spanish club (Sociedad iirc)
5. Navas - see above
6. Nasri - from perrenial underachievers and trophyless Arsenal at that point and CIty had evolved enough to jump
7. Clichy - see above
8. Lescott - from 6th place Everton
9. Milner - from eprrenial jokers Aston Villa
10. barry - the same

I could go on and on. Most of those foreign players were not even at Champions league teams..

Do you remember the expensive but fruitless players City had just before these guys also when the spending started under Shinatwra (sp)? Robinho, Elano, Jo etc?

City's transitionc ost A LOT and took about 5 years..we're complainign that ours has gone our for 12 months and that we aren't buying world class players. WE can't - world class players don't want to struggle after earning their "world class"title elsewhere. We need to bring in capable players that are int eh 2nd tier but can move up (Herrera, Shaw are good buys, Rojo I know little of) - hope we can get back in the top 4 with them,a dn then see if we can get any top tier players.

Now if there was ever a chance too improve our midfield in one go, now is the time too do it, khedira and di maria would give us a huge boost and strengthen the midfield badly

khedira herrera
di maria mata janazaj

Now that would turn us into a much stronger outfit

I'm very optimistic we will get him. He is leaving Madrid - that's almost certain. There are just a handful clubs that he would move to, in no particular order:

Bayern - don't need him, they have equally good players in the same positions
Man City - FFP, plus don't need him
Chelsea - FFP, plus don't need him

Liverpool - possible, but can't see them paying more than us
Arsenal - very unlikely, they just signed Sanchez
PSG - FFP
Monaco - looks like things are going downhill there
Juventus - never going to pay that much for a player

As it stands I think Liverpool are our only rival for his signature, that concerns me - it would make a lot of sense for them to sign him to replace Suarez, plus they offer CL. However I think we are generally the more attractive destination, so it will come to who offers more money. We should be able to easily outbid Liverpool, plus their wage structure is nowhere near ours.

There are some signs that make me think we have reached an agreement with ADM a while ago: Woody's "watch this space" bravado, LVG quote regarding Ronaldo and Di Maria (usually people say Ronaldo and Messi), the fact that ADM is asking Madrid to leave... It's reading between the lines, but if I was a betting man I would say we have about 60-70% chance to get him.

The bolded are extremely possible IMO.Both can find very good use of him and I think can pay the price and comply within the FFP(even if they have to pay a fine in City's case)

Can't believe the FFP is trying to help us yet we seem to be struggling to take the help. There aren't enough clubs that can shell out that sort of dosh and comply with FFP and luckily we're one of them. We keep this incompetence up Pool or Arsenal might have a bad match soon and panic buy.

This should be one of those signings that a club like RM or Barca make because they are who they are and they sign the best - regardless of the price - the selling club is willing to make a deal at a price, so they stump the cash. Something our club should do a little more often so as to remain competitive but, we are to ingrained in the past and if not careful that's all we'll be, a club that used to compete in the past with the best.

He wants to leave, Real want to sell, other clubs that are potentially in for him are not willing to go as high as needed - all it takes is for us to be willing to pay the money it seems.

The bolded are extremely possible IMO.Both can find very good use of him and I think can pay the price and comply within the FFP(even if they have to pay a fine in City's case)
Chelsea have an abundance of riches in that area. If they are going to splurge, it's going to be for a striker.
I disagree regarding City, they are not going to break FFP unless there is an emergency. They are desperate to be a force in Europe and breaking FFP is not going to help them. It's not only the fine they need to pay, which is substantial, but also there is a squad restriction, which is already hurting them this season.

This should be one of those signings that a club like RM or Barca make because they are who they are and they sign the best - regardless of the price - the selling club is willing to make a deal at a price, so they stump the cash. Something our club should do a little more often so as to remain competitive but, we are to ingrained in the past and if not careful that's all we'll be, a club that used to compete in the past with the best.

He wants to leave, Real want to sell, other clubs that are potentially in for him are not willing to go as high as needed - all it takes is for us to be willing to pay the money it seems.

What real madrid have done, is? they have bought some very good players who have unbelievable resale value, they go into the transfer market bought some outstanding players, and the very good players who were key for their success, they move them on and get their money back. What united are doing, is? buying average players, that most of the time have no resale value, what could you get for ferdinand vidic evra butner? adding fellaini cleverley fletcher anderson nani young, at most kagwa is one of the very few who united could sell, but it would be under 15 million.

The resale they will get back khedira and di maria they will get back on who they spent this summer, it happened with ozil last summer

Woody needs to open that check book again.

Chelsea have to get rid of one of their foreign players to comply with the PL and Uefa regulations in regard to the composition of their squad, and that's without signing Di Maria.

Maybe, but I was hoping for some other players before a winger and for some reason have never been impressed by Di Maria. Never one I wished we had bought.

Me neither, but last season he was fantastic, definitely world class.

This is an important point, and its why I feel frustrated every time we're strongly linked to expensive squad players like Blind. We need a real injection of quality into our first time.
What we need are better scouts - hopefully Louis has brought that. Plenty of teams scout and bring in quality players on the cheap who then become expensive stars clubs like us struggle to buy with barca & Real hovering around.

Moyes was proably right about the scouting - it was backwards.

No doubt we will feck about again and he will end up at PSG. Safe to say that's a given and we will have to settle for second best once again.

Di Maria would only make sense if LvG is going to play 4-3-3, 4-5-1 or 4-4-2. If he persists with 3-5-2 I don't think he would fulfil his defensive duties well which is a requirement for a wing-back.

First of all City's lack of success sine they've bought these players should tell you they've been overspending to just about reach where we were more than 10 years ago (2 titles, a cup or two and not making it past the group phase in Europe). Who did City buy that were top tier players like Vidal and Di maria are? And which big clubs did they beat to them? The caliber of players City bough is exactly who we should be going for - those witht he potential to become world class - we are going after finished products vs what City went after. Were any of these players world class or considered so at the time?

1. Silva - Nope. he was at Valencia and at a level below Barca and Real at the time. So great player )but not world class yet) at 2nd tier club who are even further back now
2. Aguero - nope. Was at Atletico - whipping boys for Real until 2 years ago
3. Kompany, Zabaleta or Hart - all bought ont he cheap and unknown to most ppl
4. Negredo - from another 2nd tier Spanish club (Sociedad iirc)
5. Navas - see above
6. Nasri - from perrenial underachievers and trophyless Arsenal at that point and CIty had evolved enough to jump
7. Clichy - see above
8. Lescott - from 6th place Everton
9. Milner - from eprrenial jokers Aston Villa
10. barry - the same

I could go on and on. Most of those foreign players were not even at Champions league teams..

Do you remember the expensive but fruitless players City had just before these guys also when the spending started under Shinatwra (sp)? Robinho, Elano, Jo etc?

City's transitionc ost A LOT and took about 5 years..we're complainign that ours has gone our for 12 months and that we aren't buying world class players. WE can't - world class players don't want to struggle after earning their "world class"title elsewhere. We need to bring in capable players that are int eh 2nd tier but can move up (Herrera, Shaw are good buys, Rojo I know little of) - hope we can get back in the top 4 with them,a dn then see if we can get any top tier players.
Ehm forgot that Silva could go to United? With David Villa? United were in the CL, City werent, United was at that time the best/biggest club in England, City were nothing but he still went to City.. Aguero was a top top target that season, and many top clubs were interested, still went to City.

I would agree with respect to concentrating on other areas/players of the team,but it we cant get these targets and Di Maria is available then I don't see why not.
You don't buy for the sake of buying. You purchase players to fit a system.

Status
Not open for further replies.