Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess it could also come down to competition for places. Obviously he's a nailed on starter at either, but our wings are shite. Actual horse shit, so he'd take number 7, play every week and generally be arguably our best player, let alone best winger, and by some distance. At PSG he'd have Lucas, Lavezzi and Pastore to compete with.

I suppose i've just indirectly proved that PSG's squad is better than ours. Bollocks...

Ok, apologies for being a cock.

PSG winning the champions league is also a project though. They might be nearer at this current moment in time, but i still think he stands a better chance of doing so with us than with them. Especially if him and others like him join us.
It's ok. I think I (and others) am downplaying our chances of getting him to avoid disappointment if we don't!

I was hoping / dreaming we would move fast to tie this up. Looks like this will go right down to deadline.

The show on Spanish TV said Di Maria had been offered €5m net by Madrid and turned it down and that's as high as they are going. They then had a go at Di Maria for the ingratitude he'd shown towards Ancelotti who had defended him from press and fan criticism and who'd argued for the payrise. Basically they said Di Maria claimed it was about not getting recognition from the club, but now it's just about money.

Last year a lot of the press used a phrase like, "we won't enter a bidding war for our own player," and that's roughly the argument from Madrid this year. Ancelotti says if he stays, he'll be treated as part of the team. If "he finds" a new club then he can leave - finds in this context means gets a buyer at Madrid's price.

To be fair, with Chelsea's current squad it should already be game over. I cannot see them being after Di Maria at all. Just seems like it's between us and PSG and mainly dependent on just how much we want him.

It should be but if they can move Hazard to the #10 spot and play Di Maria/Schurrle on both wings, its pretty much deadly with Costa up top. Oscar is pretty good but not as consistent enough yet.

The show on Spanish TV basically said Di Maria had been offered €5m net by Madrid and turned it down and that's as high as they are going. They then had a go at Di Maria for the ingratitude he'd shown towards Ancelotti who had defended him from press and fan criticism and who'd argued for the payrise. Basically they said Di Maria claims it's about not getting recognition from the club, but now it's just about money.
Wait Di Maria has shown ingratitude to Ancelotti? They can't be serious. Has he even said a word to the press this past month?

If Chelsea get him, its game over.

Wouldn;t want Di Maria. Hes a great player, but nothing that we dont have already and that is already settled into the team. If we were to sign a player it would be a striker or a CB. Our team is pretty much complete and he would be a pointless signing.

-----Matic--Fabregas----
Di Maria--Oscar---Hazard
---------Costa----------

That's got pretty much everything.

-----Matic--Fabregas----
Di Maria--Oscar---Hazard
---------Costa----------

That's got pretty much everything.

And then Costa gets hurt and it looks a bit shit.

Would rather spend the 100 million on a decent backup striker and a CB. He is an upgrade on Willian but not to a massive degree. Not in the same way losing Costa would affect us.

Would rather spend the 100 million on a decent backup striker and a CB. He is an upgrade on Willian but not to a massive degree. Not in the same way losing Costa would affect us.

That's what Torres is fo...

Point taken. Although Drogba on a free was a smart move, i guess you wouldn't really want to rely on him.

That's what Torres is fo...

Point taken. Although Drogba on a free was a smart move, i guess you wouldn't really want to rely on him.
In a way its not massively different to the reason why hes probably not your best signing you could make.

Hes an upgrade on all of Mata, Rooney, Januzaj and everything else you've got but not the same degree Benatia is an upgrade on Smalling or Evans. Or the way Vidal is an upgrade on Cleverley or Fletcher. Yes you would have a world class player but you would still be destroyed in midfield and defence.

Vidal and Benatia would be the signings to get you guys into the top 4.

The only we could get him is on the last day of the transfer window when he realizes he has no where else to go!

In a way its not massively different to the reason why hes probably not your best signing you could make.

Hes an upgrade on all of Mata, Rooney, Januzaj and everything else you've got but not the same degree Benatia is an upgrade on Smalling or Evans. Or the way Vidal is an upgrade on Cleverley or Fletcher. Yes you would have a world class player but you would still be destroyed in midfield and defence.

Spot on

No he's not. We're crying out for some pace in attack. Di Maria will bring this with skill and an ability to create goals. Against Swansea we absolutely dominated possession but were so toothless in attack. Di Maria is younger and more proven than Vidal and Benatia. We should do absolutely everything we can to get this guy. The sad part is I highly doubt he will join us.

No he's not. We're crying out for some pace in attack. Di Maria will bring this with skill and an ability to create goals. Against Swansea we absolutely dominated possession but were so toothless in attack. Di Maria is younger and more proven than Vidal and Benatia. We should do absolutely everything we can to get this guy. The sad part is I highly doubt he will join us.

We might be a better player but the upgrade from Fletcher to Vidal or Smalling to Benatia is far bigger than an upgrade from any RVP/Mata/Rooney to Di Maria.

If we want pace we can play Januzaj

Yeah, I agree that midfield and defence need strengthening the most - although if we were to revert to 4-4-2 I'd change that to wingers (ie, Di Maria), CM and a leftback.

Yep.

Its true to a point, but you will still be unbalanced. Im also not sure how Vidal is less proven. Hes been among if not the best midfielder over the past few years.

I'm very optimistic we will get him. He is leaving Madrid - that's almost certain. There are just a handful clubs that he would move to, in no particular order:

Bayern - don't need him, they have equally good players in the same positions
Man City - FFP, plus don't need him
Chelsea - FFP, plus don't need him
Liverpool - possible, but can't see them paying more than us
Arsenal - very unlikely, they just signed Sanchez
PSG - FFP
Monaco - looks like things are going downhill there
Juventus - never going to pay that much for a player

As it stands I think Liverpool are our only rival for his signature, that concerns me - it would make a lot of sense for them to sign him to replace Suarez, plus they offer CL. However I think we are generally the more attractive destination, so it will come to who offers more money. We should be able to easily outbid Liverpool, plus their wage structure is nowhere near ours.

There are some signs that make me think we have reached an agreement with ADM a while ago: Woody's "watch this space" bravado, LVG quote regarding Ronaldo and Di Maria (usually people say Ronaldo and Messi), the fact that ADM is asking Madrid to leave... It's reading between the lines, but if I was a betting man I would say we have about 60-70% chance to get him.

Its true to a point, but you will still be unbalanced. Im also not sure how Vidal is less proven. Hes been among if not the best midfielder over the past few years.
He's lesser proven because he hasn't done it in the CL like Di Maria has. Sure he would would be a great signing, but he would face the same problems all our midfielders have now because of our lack of movement and pace. He would make us harder to play against but he wouldn't be able to change games single handily like Di Maria could.

The show on Spanish TV said Di Maria had been offered €5m net by Madrid and turned it down and that's as high as they are going. They then had a go at Di Maria for the ingratitude he'd shown towards Ancelotti who had defended him from press and fan criticism and who'd argued for the payrise. Basically they said Di Maria claimed it was about not getting recognition from the club, but now it's just about money.

Last year a lot of the press used a phrase like, "we won't enter a bidding war for our own player," and that's roughly the argument from Madrid this year. Ancelotti says if he stays, he'll be treated as part of the team. If "he finds" a new club then he can leave - finds in this context means gets a buyer at Madrid's price.

Real Madrid make me laugh (and cry). They splash the cash like no one else and then can't understand it when a player's demands go through the roof.

Why would Chelsea want him when they've got Schurrle and Willian? Who are both younger i think and both top players.

I'm very optimistic we will get him. He is leaving Madrid - that's almost certain. There are just a handful clubs that he would move to, in no particular order:

PSG - FFP

As it stands I think Liverpool are our only rival for his signature, that concerns me - it would make a lot of sense for them to sign him to replace Suarez, plus they offer CL. However I think we are generally the more attractive destination, so it will come to who offers more money. We should be able to easily outbid Liverpool, plus their wage structure is nowhere near ours.

There are some signs that make me think we have reached an agreement with ADM a while ago: Woody's "watch this space" bravado, LVG quote regarding Ronaldo and Di Maria (usually people say Ronaldo and Messi), the fact that ADM is asking Madrid to leave... It's reading between the lines, but if I was a betting man I would say we have about 60-70% chance to get him.

Liverpool are not going to buy him, you can sure of that.

As much as I would love him here, if signing him meant that we don't fix the issue in midfield I would feeling extremely let down by the transfer. Although he is class at what he does, we are in desperate need in fixing the massive hole that is our midfield. So i think we should definitely prioritise that first. If he get him and a central midfielder that would be excellent.

PSG - FFP

Unless someone leaves for huge money...

I'd say he's a huge upgrade on Willian. Same incredible work rate with much more ability on the ball.

Like Rob said, he'd be a luxury signing. We'd be better off signing a player we need in a position we need to strengthen. We aren't playing with wingers atm so its a bit pointless to sign a winger. Instead of shoehorning 4-5 players into 3 positions, we should focus on building from the back.

According to some reports, PSG have pulled out completely of the race for him now. Unconfirmed obviously. Come on Eddie, now's the time to show us all your not a complete failure. And get Khedeira too while your at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.