Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jon Cross: Angel di Maria won't join Reds as he wants Champions League

Top agent Jorge Mendes has sounded out several top European sides, but Di
Maria has made it clear he wants to go to a club in the Champions League.

:(

To me, that would just mean "a club who isn't at Champions League level..."

I think it's fairly evident that United are a Champions League size club - the mission is to convince the player that this is the only season we'll not be in it, which I'm sure is something a man with LVG's pedigree can easily do.

Cross has peddled that bollocks before, he's made it up. In typical Arsenal fan fashion he loves winding up fans of other clubs in the rare moments Arsenal have something to brag about.

I think he is that Arsenal fan, though what he says is pretty obvious - he will take some persuading.

Just out of interest where did he say that?

Who is Jon Cross?

It is their spending power that concerns me. They can afford to throw away £50 million on Sideshow Bob.

Still no guarantee of success, mind. Real have been throwing good money after bad and it took them 12 years to follow up that win in Glasgow. Who knows, FFP might actually hold some water going forward.

A mercenary? Great.

Same opinion on this as me.... I don't care how good he is if he is only coming here for a bumper payday I'm not interested. I would rather split the wages over 5-10 young players who want to play for the shirt. More than a few forumites are getting carried away...

Same opinion on this as me.... I don't care how good he is if he is only coming here for a bumper payday I'm not interested. I would rather split the wages over 5-10 young players who want to play for the shirt. More than a few forumites are getting carried away...
With that attitude you'd be stuck with a team of players who are United fans and will give their all, but are really just mid table players (sort of like we have now bar a few). Obviously you don't want all players who want high wages, but it's important to have a mix. Di Maria is a world class player, not a 'mercenary', and he'd walk into any team in the world these days. Of course the wages are going to play a huge part as is future probably success.

Thank the Heavens you are not in charge of the club then. Most of our current roster probably came here for a bumper pay day, you sound completely deluded.

He's referring to Di Maria aged 31 going off to the MLS, which had no relevance to anything.
It was relevant to the point being made that Di Maria would be prepared to look at whether we could win the Champions League as a 5 year "project". I was just pointing out that in 5 years time, as an attacker based on pace and stamina, he would be reaching the twilight of his career.

Mercenary? lol

Top players should be payed top money. He is now on the same wages as Ashley Young, surely you can see the problem...

how many of the worlds top players play for their boyhood club? Not even Rooney dreamed of United.

It was relevant to the point being made that Di Maria would be prepared to look at whether we could win the Champions League as a 5 year "project". I was just pointing out that in 5 years time, as an attacker based on pace and stamina, he would be reaching the twilight of his career.

Ok, apologies for being a cock.

PSG winning the champions league is also a project though. They might be nearer at this current moment in time, but i still think he stands a better chance of doing so with us than with them. Especially if him and others like him join us.

You never know, I look at their squad and think on the day it could compete with any team. With Di Maria they'd be a real force to be reckoned with.

Blanc being their manager is a hindrance. Also Zlatan is great, but Zlatan isn't getting any younger. They have a lot of very good talent, but not much world class level talent there. I'd rather have their overall squad over ours, but I also think they will have trouble offloading many players as they'd had to overpay them to bring them to Paris in the first place. It's fine to overpay for a few players, especially if they are part of the long-term vision of your team, but if you then overpay other players to play the same position it becomes a problem.

I mean what kind of money do we think David Luiz is making there? Must be quite a bit.

I cant think of many top players who have moved in recent years for "only" a bumper payday.

Last edited:
You never know, I look at their squad and think on the day it could compete with any team. With Di Maria they'd be a real force to be reckoned with.

It's a recurring scenario with sides with only money and weather/location to offer, Madrid excluded on that last one obviously. City, Chelsea and Real have all seen how hard it can be to progress in this tournament with a squad featuring more than the odd mercenary. Ironic i know since we're having to offer well over the odds to sign the best it would seem.

Mercenary? lol

Top players should be payed top money. He is now on the same wages as Ashley Young, surely you can see the problem...

We've made a problem for ourselves here, if we're willing to bow down to Rooney's demands for £300,000 a week then what happens when we negotiate with a genuinely world class player? They should get that at least? Then they get called a mercenary.

It's like when they let Sneidjer and VDV leave (bigger sums now mind) we should be in for Di Maria and Sami Khedira.

And Vidal.

Di Maria is quality and would obviously stroll into our first team, but...

I worry about the lack of balance in our team. Anywhere or way we'd play Di Maria would either a) see another potentially excellent player shifted out of position or B) see us continue with an unbalanced looking team.

We need defenders and/or proper CMs far more than Di Maria I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.