Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you look at our net spend from when the Glazers arrived to when SAF left it's only slightly above 100m. Closer in total spending to Stoke than Liverpool/Chelsea/City/Barca/Bayern/Madrid.
27 million for Afro. 37 million for Mata. Almost 60 million for Shaw and Herrera. We are clearly prepared to spend big.

My only concern is that other big clubs are in for him as well, which the public doesn't know about. Someone like Manchester City, for example. :nervous: (unless they specifically come out and said they can't spend more money)

It increasingly looks like Di Maria wants out and higher ups in Real Madrid the same.

Are people absolutely sure he won't be coming to us trying to anti Jinx it or something?
I assume anti-jinx as nobody knows anything. Not even these twitter sources know anything, but shhh and don't tell anybody that.

City cannot spend under ffp. Cannot see what other clubs can be in for him.

Chelski? If they want a niche signing anyway.

RM want £45m for Di Maria eh? Maybe Ed should offer €37m for Di Maria and Khedira combined.
He probably did and that's why we're not getting either of them, let alone both. When you look at the Rojo deal and how complicated it is I can't help but wonder if we're losing out on all these signings because he's faffing about with that kinda stuff. I don't think for a moment we're the most attractive club in the world, but we really seem to be struggling to sign anyone when it's quite clear that we need it.

In the last five years only PSG have spent more than us.

I actually believe that we have the money that Woodward has spoken of. I am just very skeptical that as a club, we are as attractive a proposition as we like to think. Especially this season.

Not saying we don't have the money. Just saying we need to spend more than usual because of our position. Moreover, it's our net spend which is high and not our actual spend. In that regards we are pretty low in the pecking order. Also csn you imagine that till last Jan our record was Berba's signing for about 30 million. That is nothing in today's market. We bought a lot of quantity but not enough quality in areas we need.

We bought a lot of quantity but not enough quality in areas we need.

This is an important point, and its why I feel frustrated every time we're strongly linked to expensive squad players like Blind. We need a real injection of quality into our first time.

My only concern is that other big clubs are in for him as well, which the public doesn't know about. Someone like Manchester City, for example. :nervous: (unless they specifically come out and said they can't spend more money)

It increasingly looks like Di Maria wants out and higher ups in Real Madrid the same.

City cannot spend more money, they have to keep within a £49m net spend.
Bayern have Shaqiri and Robben, so that is highly unlikely. The Monaco project seems dead in the water right now, Chelsea would have to sell to afford him, Arsenal and Juventus couldn't afford him and Barca will never happen. It's us or PSG.

I was one heavily sceptical of this Di Maria rumour ,but now Ancelotti as practically said he wants to leave. This is looking likely , only one thing , are United willing to put money where their mouth is.

No. Signing Di Maria means 4 at the back probably and more competition for Rojo for one of the back 2 slots.

While in 3 at the back he is probably first choice at LCB.
I don't think that's a major consideration for Rojo. For all he knows we might play 4 in the back most of the times even without ADM. On the other hand there are major benefits for him if ADM joins:
1. If ADM joins there will be a lot more people in his native Argentina following United, which raises Rojo's profile there as well - that has to be quite important for him.
2. Higher chance to compete and win trophies, which raises his profile.
3. He just moved to a new club/country - of course it's better if his buddy from the NT joins at the same time.

I think it's more to do with if Van Gaal wants him than United paying the money for Di Maria. If we're willing to pay close to £30m for Herrera and Shaw without our manager even arriving, I think we'll be willing to pay the money for Di Maria.

We won't pay valuation for quality players and will only do it once we are desperate and things have gone terribly wrong. We didn't pay valuation for Herrera last year trying to haggle, same went with Fellaini and then overpaid - Rojo seems to have finally been done after the opening day loss. Still stuck in thinking we hold the upper hand when right now it's anything but.

When Adidas deal drops due to missing CL again, then they'll end up stumping 50m for a player that isn't the quality of Di Maria.

Not saying we don't have the money. Just saying we need to spend more than usual because of our position. Moreover, it's our net spend which is high and not our actual spend. In that regards we are pretty low in the pecking order. Also csn you imagine that till last Jan our record was Berba's signing for about 30 million. That is nothing in today's market. We bought a lot of quantity but not enough quality in areas we need.
I do agree that we need to invest.

They just smashed Di María in one of Madrid's national tv shows, accused him of being only interested in money. It was borderline slander. The club clearly wants him out. I think Madrid would take a lowish offer.

Was it that bad? What exactly did they say about him and does the national tv/show have direct links to Real?

City cannot spend more money, they have to keep within a £49m net spend.
Bayern have Shaqiri and Robben, so that is highly unlikely. The Monaco project seems dead in the water right now, Chelsea would have to sell to afford him, Arsenal and Juventus couldn't afford him and Barca will never happen. It's us or PSG.
I see.

It looks more and more the case of if Di Maria wants to come here or not.

Slaughtering players they want rid of is nothing new. It doesn't necessarily mean they will take a lesser offer. It is just to keep their fans on side.

Look at what Ozil went for.

The things is, in today's market he's probably worth that kind of money anyway. If you want these players you have to pay for them, simple as that.

Was it that bad? What exactly did they say about him and does the national tv/show have direct links to Real?

It's Pedrerol's show in la sexta tv channel. The director of the channel used to be Real Madrid's communication director and is Pérez close friend as recognized by all parts involved. It was aired today around mid day. You'll have to look for the show yourself, but they blasted him for looking just for money. Di Maria's wife answered back in her instagram page and said it was all bullshit, like she did last time they were shitting on him.

I think it's more to do with if Van Gaal wants him than United paying the money for Di Maria. If we're willing to pay close to £30m for Herrera and Shaw without our manager even arriving, I think we'll be willing to pay the money for Di Maria.

That's the thing though. We have always been willing to over pay for midrange priced players but havent ever shopped at the top end of the market, which in 2014 is comfortably above the £40m bracket.

Also, our net spend is high recently due to historical under investment and lots of flop signings resulting in a squad full of players that have little or no resale value.

To get the minimum of three top players we need is going to take a solid £120m if we get good prices.

If him and Khedira want out, Real surely can't ask for astronomical fees. Here's hoping.

Oh and sign both!

it is really just a case of paying what Di Maria and Real want. The guy wants to come and Real will sell, LvG wants him too. Lets see if we really want to spend the money Woody promised we had.

Khedira probably wants to stay since he's ending contract this season and will get a signing bonus when he moves to another club.

Jon Cross: Angel di Maria won't join Reds as he wants Champions League

Top agent Jorge Mendes has sounded out several top European sides, but Di
Maria has made it clear he wants to go to a club in the Champions League.

:(

i am pretty sure if we pay the salary he wants, he will.

Didn't Louis already say he only wants players that actually want to be here, if he's only coming here for the money I'm not sure that qualifies as a genuine ambition to play for us.

it is really just a case of paying what Di Maria and Real want. The guy wants to come and Real will sell, LvG wants him too. Lets see if we really want to spend the money Woody promised we had.

Agreed.

I really, really hope we pull this one off. We are so long overdue a new player of this calibre.

Surely, surely it's our turn!?

Status
Not open for further replies.