Andy Carroll

Do you call this return on investment?

Not in the slightest, from a Liverpool perspective. They've thrown away £20 million for literally nothing. And I think that's the best they can expect.

But for West Ham, it could prove a good deal. He cost so much originally because he's English and young. And at West Ham, he looks to have found his level.

35 million:lol:

I still cannot believe they paid that for Carroll. All things considered they have well to come away with just a 20m loss

Not in the slightest, from a Liverpool perspective. They've thrown away £20 million for literally nothing. And I think that's the best they can expect.

But for West Ham, it could prove a good deal. He cost so much originally because he's English and young. And at West Ham, he looks to have found his level.

Ah, I thought you meant ROI for Liverpool

Ah, I thought you meant ROI for Liverpool

I did yeah, what I meant was that West Ham can hardly get the blame for spending £15 million on Carroll, which is probably about £5 million too much for him. Liverpool know they're gonna make a massive loss on Carroll, but they'll still hold out for a large fee because of what they bought him for.

He was the worst Premier League signing ever, for me.

From all talents in the world West Ham buy antitalent. Teams that spend money like that deserve to be relegated.

I really don't agree with that "he fits their style of play". Team whose main goal is to stay in the league pay 15 millions for striker who bill bring them nothing they didn't have in years before? What's the point of that, do they actually want to progress, or they are just enjoying fighting for survival every year.

fecking Sam Allardyce, people like him aren't bringing nothing good to premiership.

This type of signings/news really pisses me off.

£15m is a rip off. He's not worth anywhere near, they could get a better striker from abroad for half the price. Hell, even someone like Yilmaz who scored shitloads of goals in Europe wouldn't cost £15m.

Disagree with most here. I think £15m could be a good deal for WHU.

Very embarrassing for Liverpool also, £20m loss on a player that only played 40ish games for them.

He could be a 15 goal a season striker with West Ham, providing they don't sack Big Sam and a new manager takes them in another direction, but the problem I see with the deal, is that West Ham paid way too much for a guy who quite clearly has no future at Liverpool. Had they waited awhile longer, they probably could've got 5 million knocked off the price, because Carroll would never fit and be used in Brendan Rodgers' system and they'd be desperate to offload.

It's actually 12mill and clauses that must be triggered for the fee to Reach up to 15 mill.

He's worth 12-15. He's found his level at west ham. If he stays fit he'll get them goals.

Still, the Scouse have dropped a huge bollock with him though paying 35m. Way to piss away your windfall on Torres.

Liverpool are getting mugged off, not many players in the world can control a long ball and pass it 5 yards sideways whilst at all times elbowing the opposition player. Big loss for pool here.

If that heel injury is true, the only way he is out for 'months' is that he has ruptured his achilles tendon like Beckham did before the last World Cup.

Apparently it's a problem with his fetlock.15 million pound is a crazy amount of money for a very limited footballer.35 million was the most bizarre fee ever. Well done King Kenny.:lol::lol:

15 million seems a lot but this is probably the player they are going to build their entire team around for the better part of the next 10 years. It's still a rip off, but that is how they will justify it.

Andy Carroll is shit, but so are West Ham.

Surprised West Ham moved so early on this one. I doubt teams were queuing up for Carroll, and Carroll presumably had a preference for West Ham. You'd have thought West Ham would have waited for longer and held out for a better deal.

I like Allardyce's rationale:

Sam Allardyce said:
If we can start with Andy Carroll, that would be a great achievement for us as he can only get better and better," he said after West Ham's weekend win over Reading

Get shit players, as they can only get better.

What of those seasons he had at Newcastle? Decent PL teams weren't interested in Carroll for no reason at all. I'm not sure Allardyce is the right manager to get him back to that necessarily however Abramovich spending £50m on Torres and Dalglish's stupidity doesn't mean there wasn't something there to begin with.

12m which is likely being paid in instalments anyway isn't going to be crippling to their transfer plans.

They're saying Carroll is stalling on the move, maybe hoping for Newcastle to enter the bidding.

West Ham is probably his level, they'll certainly utilise him the way he's effective. As a big feck off battering ram. Wouldn't be surprised if he ended up like Allardyce's favourite, Nolan, following big Sam wherever he goes.

Apparently Newcastle have a 25% sell-on clause.... Of any profit made on a future sale.

Ashley must have been pissing himself laughing when negotiating this deal.

Apparently Newcastle have a 25% sell-on clause.... Of any profit made on a future sale.

Ashley must have been pissing himself laughing when negotiating this deal.

I see. Explains the 11million figure floating around.

I see. Explains the 11million figure floating around.

No, profits.

Ie, newcastle get 25% of the profit we might make if we should sell him for more than we paid for him.

I agree.

I got a lot of stick on here for suggestiong Carroll might do well at Liverpool. I still think he's a decent player, but his treatment at Liverpool was bizzare.

Why go out and sign a big, physical centre forward - who had ran very good defenders ragged for Newcastle by playing a certain way - and then ask him to play like Robbie Fowler? Clearly he's a player you need to use a specific system to get the best out of. They signed Downing who on the left is a good crosser of the ball - then played him wide right? Carroll was expected (seemingly) to change his game - which isn't likely to get the best out of him.

As it stands he's had a good season at West Ham. Players of his type are not pretty, not condusive to a "good looking" style of play - but can be very effective. Good luck to him - he's potentially an asset to England if playing well.

I agree.

I got a lot of stick on here for suggestiong Carroll might do well at Liverpool. I still think he's a decent player, but his treatment at Liverpool was bizzare.

Why go out and sign a big, physical centre forward - who had ran very good defenders ragged for Newcastle by playing a certain way - and then ask him to play like Robbie Fowler? Clearly he's a player you need to use a specific system to get the best out of. They signed Downing who on the left is a good crosser of the ball - then played him wide right? Carroll was expected (seemingly) to change his game - which isn't likely to get the best out of him.

As it stands he's had a good season at West Ham. Players of his type are not pretty, not condusive to a "good looking" style of play - but can be very effective. Good luck to him - he's potentially an asset to England if playing well.

Fair enough.

Personally I don't think Kenny used him as well as he should have, there were times when he played really well then got left on the bench again for a few games. Everton away he was one of our best players and scored, next game he was out of the side again.

Obviously we paid well over the odds and now need to recoup what we can and move on.

There are some who would still like him back, as a different option to what we already have, but he is never going to get the regular games he craves for with the style of football we now play.

Sullivan reckons if WH have Carroll and Lukaku up front then they will have the best strikeforce in the league outside the top 4

To be fair to Sullivan it would be a very good strikeforce if Carroll was benched.

I don't think West Ham have been mugged. As undesirable as Carroll is (I don't think he should be anywhere near England, ever) he's perfect for the way West Ham play. He's limitations don't affect him there. They're not a passing team, he gets on the end of crosses, supplies knock-downs for his team mates, and helps them massively when defending set pieces. He will do exactly what Big Sam is looking for him to do, which means he will be worth the fee for them.

There are dozens of strong, tall players out there who cost a fraction of what West Ham are paying for him and some of them even have some technique.