Andy Carroll

I've been impressed with him this season. There's a lot more to him than I thought when I watched him last season. And he's made the step up very quickly which is a sign of a decent player. They just have to make sure his head's right. If it is they'll struggle to keep hold of him.

He’s been impressive lately but the demi-beast needs a haircut to become a full blown beast.

Carroll and Heskey shouldn't be compared. He's more similar to Ruud, or a young Torres to be honest.

I'd Love to see Carroll at United. Him and Rooney would DESTROY defences. His wages would be drastically cheaper than Berbatov's and he can play up top alone and actually make things happen.

I think the lad has what it takes to step up to the next level.

I can't see a Ruud or young Torres in him, not that either of those players were alike anyway.

I hope he proves me wrong, as I have nothing personal against him, just can't see his potential as high as others. He could have an excellent career at Newcastle, or other teams, but the thought of him at United scares me a bit.

Yet another in a long line of overated English strikers imo.

While I normally tow-the-line with the over rated English player thingy, Carroll has the ability to bully defences. Yes, ultimately he may be limited because of what he is, but in the PL he is a tool that can be used to batter defences into submission. If he can learn from a top manager at a top team he could be a tormentor of defences for years to come.

Yet another in a long line of overated English strikers imo.

Seems to be very good at what he does. Has stepped up to the PL with a fair degree of comfort and has a decent touch and good awareness.

I reckon he's a plyer who could really develop at the right club - plus, he's a dying breed. Real handful for centre halfs and something different to what a lot of clubs have.

It's all about confirming.Performing well like that in a first season is impressive but the real test will be the next one.Consistency is what separates the average from the good

It's all about confirming.Performing well like that in a first season is impressive but the real test will be the next one.Consistency is what separates the average from the good

Carroll is not "average" at all.

Football business moves fast these days, and if he does this for an entire season at newly promoted Newcastle - he'll be doing it next season for a big club. I'd rather it for us than for one of our rivals.

The lad's quality.

Football business moves fast these days, and if he does this for an entire season at newly promoted Newcastle - he'll be doing it next season for a big club. I'd rather it for us than for one of our rivals.

The lad's quality.

Says who ? Football isn't an exact science, things aren't that simple.That's why I think more time is necessary before judging (underrating or overrating) a player.
I would have thought that there was enough examples in football to not get carried away by Carroll's form.

Carroll looked promising in the Season that Newcastle got relegated. A glimmer of hope in a miserable season for them. I was surprised when his goal tally in the Championship wasn't greater. 17 is good but I thought he'd hit at least 25-30, but is still a great return. But a season down in the championship certainly toughened him up more and I think it tells.

This season his performances have been excellent. He should of had a couple against us when he made Vidic look very ordinary indeed, which isn't easy.

He could be a very good player indeed. Much more exciting and much further advanced than any other Strikers coming through at the minute.

The lad's quality.

He's talking from experience of seeing Gignac and Hoarau two years ago both have standout breakthrough seasons as target-men, both at times looking like unstoppable goalscorers, and then following it up with a season of mediocrity. Two of many. Andy Johnson had a brilliant season at Palace but is "average". Happens everywhere.

You can't tell this early.

Saying that he had a better touch and level of awareness than I was expecting, and in general I've been impressed.

Yeah, not sure he'll ever be top four quality, think he's just a touch too limited for that.

He's talking from experience of seeing Gignac and Hoarau two years ago both have standout breakthrough seasons as target-men, both at times looking like unstoppable goalscorers, and then following it up with a season of mediocrity. Two of many. Andy Johnson had a brilliant season at Palace but is "average". Happens everywhere.

You can't tell this early.

Saying that he had a better touch and level of awareness than I was expecting, and in general I've been impressed.

Very true.After these 2 my judgment on these type of players has changed.I'm willing to give them more time to either praise or criticize them

Carroll and Heskey shouldn't be compared. He's more similar to Ruud, or a young Torres to be honest.

I'd Love to see Carroll at United. Him and Rooney would DESTROY defences. His wages would be drastically cheaper than Berbatov's and he can play up top alone and actually make things happen.

I think the lad has what it takes to step up to the next level.

Has alot of attributes thats for sure.. already the little I've seen of him, he has more to his game than Defoe, Bent and Heskey. He has what it takes 'upstairs', raises his game against big opponents which is a rare quality which English players possess and the national squad could do with a little dose of that.

Whether he is technically good enough for a club of our stature and has enough variety in his game is another matter entirely.. I'd say its too early to tell. Have been glimpses of some sublime stuff from the lad but also moments where his touch and dribbling at times can be cumbersome, yet when confident he glides along.

It's all in his hands.

I think Welbeck will become the vastly better player, just has those extra elements to his game that Carroll lacks.

Says who ? Football isn't an exact science, things aren't that simple.That's why I think more time is necessary before judging (underrating or overrating) a player.
I would have thought that there was enough examples in football to not get carried away by Carroll's form.

I'm not referring to Carroll in this instance becuase I'm not sure he's the sort of plauer United need, but clubs regularly take rsisk on a player who they think might step up - if you wait too long then you don't get the player becuase someone else comes in a la Berbatov with Spurs.

I think Welbeck will become the vastly better player, just has those extra elements to his game that Carroll lacks.

Odd statement to make... Carroll is scoring goals, Welbeck is not ;)

He could be a very, very good player Carroll in a few years to come. He's got that Drogba presence about him.

He has been impressive this season, I'm not saying he is United quality but he can bully defenses and his overall play is decent. Think he will be called to the English National Team, very soon.

Odd statement to make... Carroll is scoring goals, Welbeck is not ;)

He could be a very, very good player Carroll in a few years to come. He's got that Drogba presence about him.

Carrolls playing week in week out as a striker. It's a tough one. We can't ignore who we have coming through. Cofies/King/Keane/Welbeck..tremdous talents. I think we might just have to wait and see how he does and how he matures etc. He's proven nothing yet

He has been impressive this season, I'm not saying he is United quality but he can bully defenses and his overall play is decent. Think he will be called to the English National Team, very soon.

Not as big an achievement as it should be. No real competition. Him and Rooney would be an interesting combination

Carrolls playing week in week out as a striker. It's a tough one. We can't ignore who we have coming through. Cofies/King/Keane/Welbeck..tremdous talents. I think we might just have to wait and see how he does and how he matures etc. He's proven nothing yet

Carroll would walk into our team right now and Welbeck's out on loan. Does that not tell you something.

I'm all for supporting the team...but cmon man.

i think playing someone like andy carroll would be completely counter productive in terms of our game play

playing a 'big man' suits the likes of newcastle, stoke or other mid table teams

i'd like to think that Manchester United have a but more about us than becoming a long ball team

if you are going to buy a big man up top then bring in someone like dzeko who can play with the ball at his feet

Carroll would walk into our team right now and Welbeck's out on loan. Does that not tell you something.

In what way would Carroll walk into our team? Just wouldn't happen, would have Berba and Chico over him any day of the week.

And the point isn't that Welbeck is better now, I don't think anyone is arguing that. Just that Welbeck has more potential so could become better, I can't really see where Carroll can improve where I can see many areas where Welbeck has the potential to improve.

Would he? Nothing like a good knee jerk, potentially good player yes but ahead of Berbatov, no.

Welbeck is also playing out wide a lot at Sunderland from what i've seen of him, but he's also been impressive so don't discount him so soon.

Hypothetically -

It's 0-0 against a top 5 team, 70 mins played, Rooney is injured, Hernandez and Berbatov are being managed by the opposition defense and are offering no penetration - you wouldn't want Andy Carroll sat on the bench, eager to get on!? You're mental.

And besides, this lad has more to his game than a long ball hit man, trust me. It's just that the Newcastle players feeding him often resort to the long one due to their own shortcomings - not his.

So, Bebe is good enough for United but Carroll isn't??

Ask the same question with Macheda, Welbeck, Obertan etc

I think the point is that we haven't seen enough of Bebe to judge him not good enough for United, it's an irrelevant comparison because no-one was talking about Bebe before we brought him, or any of the players you mentioned.