g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Andre Onana image 24

Andre Onana Cameroon flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Nick7

What was it, £50m? For a guy that can’t even stand in the correct spot for any shots? His positioning is utterly appalling

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Once again showing he isn't an elite shot stopper. Despite what the stats may say, I've never been convinced of his shot stopping ability, his positioning is usually bad and his saves aren't clean as well. He's not terrible but certainly not the level we would want.

I hope we either get Kovar back from Leverkusen or also go for Stefan Ortega, City's second keeper (he was excellent at Bochum and has done well at City as well). It's important we have a second keeper we can rely on if Onana's performances continue, if we did then Onana wouldn't be getting as many games as he has.

flappyjay

Even if he was brilliant he was a misplaced priority. A good few of us said attack and midfield needed work before we got another keeper.

spiriticon

There are more than just two goalkeepers in professional football
Aye but De Gea is free and available now. Sell Onana to the first buyer in the summer and then we get another keeper and try again.

But we won't be asking ETH for his opinion again.

Asger

How was his stats in Serie A last season? I think Inter got about 40 goals against them last year compare about 20 now.

KjaAnd

I know he has faced an abnormal amount of shots this season but I just don't see a good keeper in him. I don't know if it's his tehcnique or physique but he consistently fails to reach very reachable shots. His ability on the ball is also very overrated IMO. Most of the time, he just launches hopeless passes to the opposing team (although our attackers might be at fault here as well).

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Aye but De Gea is free and available now. Sell Onana to the first buyer in the summer and then we get another keeper and try again.

But we won't be asking ETH for his opinion again.
I think the window for free agent signings has gone

RORY65

We're absolutely terrible so he's made a lot of saves, including a few really good reaction stops, but he regularly lets in goals that a top goalkeeper wouldn't let happen (maybe an aberration once a season). He's just not an elite goalkeeper and we haven't even really seen the benefits of his ability on the ball which was his main selling point, albeit it's less useful anyway when offset by dodgy shot-stopping and an inability to command his area.

Nick7

I know he has faced an abnormal amount of shots this season but I just don't see a good keeper in him. I don't know if it's his tehcnique or physique but he consistently fails to reach very reachable shots. His ability on the ball is also very overrated IMO. Most of the time, he just launches hopeless passes to the opposing team (although our attackers might be at fault here as well).
I won’t blame him for his distribution. That’s squarely on the manager. Defence can’t handle playing out from the back so we bought a keeper that’s bad at everything except playing out from the back.

Heinzesight

Like a lot of us said the first few months of his time here, most goals he concedes you think ‘could he have done better there?

spiriticon

I think the window for free agent signings has gone
FML. Onana simply isn't the keeper you want if the gameplan is based on conceding 20 shots a game.

We need someone with twice his reflexes.

David De Gea

I genuinely think its time to bring De Gea back.
feck I finally found one! Someone who actually wants DDG back cause I thought that was an imaginary person Onana's defenders dreamed up in their head.

Nah not even I want DDG back, I can still remember how frequent his howlers had become. I just despair we've replaced him with someone who has all the howlers but also a shambles when it comes to saving shots.

To my mind he's made about 5 saves all season that I'd say were genuinely top class. The others he gets praised to high heaven for basics and even those his poor technique is still apparent with the wild ways the ball bounces off him on the parry.

It actually pains me to see such a poor keeper be united's number 1 and I only hope the next manager/ineos will be ruthless and move him on. Can never be a top team with clown ready to through one in or stand and admire any half decent effort as it flies in the net.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
We're absolutely terrible so he's made a lot of saves, including a few really good reaction stops, but he regularly lets in goals that a top goalkeeper wouldn't let happen (maybe an aberration once a season). He's just not an elite goalkeeper and we haven't even really seen the benefits of his ability on the ball which was his main selling point, albeit it's less useful anyway when offset by dodgy shot-stopping and an inability to command his area.
Add to this, he clearly evokes more risk than reliability, which is the kiss of death for most keepers.

CoopersDream

I generally tend to think that the goals we conceed aren't his fault. But he's now conceeded 79 goals in all competitions, which depending on the last games could actually approach 90 if things turn out badly, and quite a bit of them at least seems saveable even if they aren't direct mistakes by him. When you reach those kind of numbers it starts being hard not to ask questions about him. I know he's got decent stats and whatnot, but it's feeling more and more like he just isn't that good.

Last edited:

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
His passing stats are not significantly better than De Gea's last season, a goalkeeper talked about being unable to play out from the back and unable to pass long. I have not heard a peep this season about Onana's poor passing.

Our defensive issues have been massive this season, no doubt, but he's not instilling anyone in front of him with confidence. A big step backwards in my opinion.

lex talionis

Even if we thought it was a good idea to bring Dave back it's a bad idea. He's done with football and the sooner we get over it, the better.

But looking back at last June when the decision was made to shitcan Dave and then spend 47m on Onana, it wasn't the greatest decision in the annals of transfer business.

Jund

At this point I think there's no room for debate. This guys is just an average goalkeeper. Nothing more. Anyone who's willing to argue should just watch the replay of the 4th Palace goal.

Matt Varnish

Hello Sailor.
Bayinder must be really crap in training for Onana to keep his place, and Heaton has to be jut as bad

dinostar77

awful, average keeper with average shot stopping. Another great ten haag signing to go alongside antony, casemiro, amrabat and mount.

Stevondo8

Pretty clear he doesn’t know where his best post is. Does he know what it is?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Even if we thought it was a good idea to bring Dave back it's a bad idea. He's done with football and the sooner we get over it, the better.

But looking back at last June when the decision was made to shitcan Dave and then spend 47m on Onana, it wasn't the greatest decision in the annals of transfer business.
Thankfully we balanced it out by spending £55million on Mason Mount...

E-mal

A nothing player, will always be a liability even when we become decent/good, need to get rid

Chicharito_

Just need to take the hit with this one I'm afraid, do what Liverpool did when Karius failed - cut your losses and go and get a top keeper.

Onana will cost us time and time again, it's got to the point where even if he has an average game he gets highly praised because his general standard is poor. Out of the 79 goals he has conceded this season you could say he has been directly at fault for 13-18 of them. Just unacceptable.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Bayinder must be really crap in training for Onana to keep his place, and Heaton has to be jut as bad
I went to match in Munich and I have to say he didn't strike me with any confidence during pre -match training. I can see why we haven't given him any outing yet.

sdb4884

I reckon in terms of worst transfers for this season we have three of them, Onana, Amarabat & Mount. Pathetic. How do you even get anyone else to take this guy without them even having to pay his wages?