Anderson | 2013/14 Performances (on loan at Fiorentina)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think it's a little unfair to compare them to Giggs and Scholes. We're talking about two of the best players in our history. The media branded them as their replacements but I don't really think we should view them as such, they were just two excellent young players signed coincidentally with Giggs and Scholes ageing. I've always found this natural heir concept a bit strange as there aren't many examples of that happening at top clubs around Europe. Players don't get replaced individually, rather the team evolves and moves onto something else without direct equivalents..
It wasn't just the media saying this, though. It was the bloke that signed them!

SAF: "Anderson and Nani will improve and that’s the reason we bought them; to replace Giggs and Scholes in the long term."
I think the rest of your post is entirely fair, by the way.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
What has Anderson ever shown, for United or anyone else, that merits comparisons with Ronaldinho or Ozil?

I know he was hyped as the next Ronaldinho (presumably entirely on the basis that he was black, Brazilian, played for Gremio and had long hair) but he's never looked close to having the same sort of qualities that they bring to the table. Couldn't shoot worth a bollix and his weight of pass was woefully inconsistent. You couldn't imagine a player less suited to being the creative hub of a football team if you tried.
I'd say Ando is easily on Ozils level talent wise. Why you think Ferguson kept him around so long, working with him everyday he knew exactly how (potentially, obviously) good he was. We didn't keep him around renewing his contract because of his great Ronaldo like top sport mentality, that's for sure.

Cina

Nice line but total cr@p. He had no trouble positionally playing with Carrick or Scholes (or Hargreaves in 2007/08). (Playing with Fletcher was always going to be more of a problem, but it wasn't just Anderson who had that problem.) Like Evra or Rafael he could be caught upfield after one of his explosive bursts, but if you want a player to make attacking runs you accept that you have to be organised to cover for them.
It's pretty obvious that one of Anderson's biggest flaws as a midfielder was his lack of positional discipline. He got caught out countless times.
I'd say Ando is easily on Ozils level talent wise. Why you think Ferguson kept him around so long, working with him everyday he knew exactly how (potentially, obviously) good he was. We didn't keep him around renewing his contract because of his great Ronaldo like top sport mentality, that's for sure.
No way, not even close.

mufcwarm92

It wasn't just the media saying this, though. It was the bloke that signed them!

I think the rest of your post is entirely fair, by the way.
:lol:

Fair enough, I thought that might be the case when I wrote it but I chucked it in there without checking. Fergie always loved saying things like that, it looked a bit daft at times and it piles on the pressure, but you can't fault the man because it obviously works.

ravelston

Those performances from the start of 2011-2012 have been overhyped for both Anderson and Cleverley. Both Arsenal and Tottenham were in disarray, and the performance against Spurs was fairly average for about 60 minutes. Just to put it into perspective, can you imagine being in a position of trying to defend Scholes or Beckham (or even Butt) because they had a handful of good games three years ago (at a time of the season which is notoriously unreliable in terms of drawing conclusions)?
Not true. The Caf (and the media) went wild over Cleverley but hardly mentioned Anderson - strange because, statistically, he was the highest rated midfielder in the Prem at the time. Those were the three weeks or so that left us expecting big things of Cleverley - He'd only played 3 1/2 games before he got injured at the start of the Bolton game. Never played like that again.

mufcwarm92

I don't think Anderson's level of talent is that far off Özil's tbh. Obviously there's no debate to be had now over who the better player is, but they're only a year apart and as teenagers I'm not sure many people had Özil down as the bigger star. Just a better attitude, better luck with injuries a better development of his skills I reckon.

Cina

He did what he was paid to do - make runs at the opposition. That's not a lack of positional discipline, it's why we bought him in the first place.
What? So he wasn't paid to be disciplined when we didn't have the ball? Or erm .. in 99% of the game where he isn't running at them?

United22

To think they dubbed him the "left-footed Ronaldinho" before he came to United. Its a shame that he has become this useless due to injuries, lack of work ethic and the fact that he just never was a deep midfielder, he was an attacking no 10 midfielder getting shoehorned into the wrong position

MoskvaRed

Not true. The Caf (and the media) went wild over Cleverley but hardly mentioned Anderson - strange because, statistically, he was the highest rated midfielder in the Prem at the time. Those were the three weeks or so that left us expecting big things of Cleverley - He'd only played 3 1/2 games before he got injured at the start of the Bolton game. Never played like that again.
Maybe Cleverley got more of the credit but the legend of the Anderson-Cleverley axis was built on those few games and became a persistent what if? for the next few years.

Ekeke

What now for Ando? Seems Fiorentina aren't keen on buying him - and who can blame them? His injury problems seemingly won't go away and he's hardly started for them.

Can't help but feeling sorry for the poor bastard.
He hasnt played much for them because when he's played he was almost always poor. Its not injury, its lack of performance when given the chances.

A lesser club than Fiorentina in Serie A should be fine. Let him go to mid table and prove he's worthy of a place in a decent team

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
cannot believe how much he has dropped.

I used to love his driving runs. He had Gerrard in his pocket a few times too.

obviously his injuries and fitness issues really took their toll.
not sure even if he comes back van Gaal will be able to help him.

ravelston

What? So he wasn't paid to be disciplined when we didn't have the ball? Or erm .. in 99% of the game where he isn't running at them?
When we didn't have the ball he was in the left centre of the line of four - where he was supposed to be. Do you seriously believe SAF would have allowed him on the pitch if he was as bad as you are pretending?

Henrik Larsson

It's pretty obvious that one of Anderson's biggest flaws as a midfielder was his lack of positional discipline. He got caught out countless times.

No way, not even close.
What aspect of football besides staying fit more is Ozil better at then, you think?

From what I've seen from Ando, he doesn't lack vision, passing or dribbling compared to Ozil at all. He is stronger and faster than Ozil. Depends on what position you imagine them probably.

If you say Ando is a #10 exactly like Ozil is, which I think Ando is, and he also almost exclusively played in an attacking role in his younger years and before joining us. Considering that, he could've been equally good as Ozil in that role for sure. Ando never really showed it anywhere as a #10, but never got the chance. Ozil was playing at Madrid with Ramos, Pepe, Xabi Alonso and Khedira to support him and had a pretty free attacking role, dream situation for him.

Anderson did get the chance to show his skills playing deeper in midfield, and what he showed there for instance is more than what I'd imagine Ozil would show playing in central midfield. So that's why I would say Anderson definitely has the talent Ozil has. But Ozil has obviously shown more already and Anderson probably never will, makes me a bit sad, although not too much.

Cina

When we didn't have the ball he was in the left centre of the line of four - where he was supposed to be. Do you seriously believe SAF would have allowed him on the pitch if he was as bad as you are pretending?
How else is he supposed to improve exactly? His positioning was poor, it doesn't mean we should've not played him at all because of it. The whole point of playing youngsters is to improve weak aspects of their game.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
What aspect of football besides staying fit more is Ozil better at then, you think?

From what I've seen from Ando, he doesn't lack vision, passing or dribbling compared to Ozil at all. He is stronger and faster than Ozil. Depends on what position you imagine them probably.
Whaaaaat?

Ozil's ability to get the weight of pass absolutely spot on is probably his best quality as a footballer. Always gets it right into the stride of his team-mate. Anderson, on the other hand, has an absolutely atrociously inconsistent weight of pass. One of the worst I've seen from a professional footballer. Half the time he just smashes it at their chest!

Cina

Sorry, but that is absolutely mental.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Whaaaaat?

Ozil's ability to get the weight of pass absolutely spot on is probably his best quality as a footballer. Always gets it right into the stride of his team-mate. Anderson, on the other hand, has an absolutely atrociously inconsistent weight of pass. One of the worst I've seen from a professional footballer. Half the time he just smashes it at their chest!
Plus Ozils speed of thought and footballing brain is miles ahead of Anderson, who could have been brilliant if he had something about him called a heart.

Henrik Larsson

Sorry, but that is absolutely mental.
Well, I've seen Ozil give some very, very poor passes over the years, and I've seen Anderson given some absolutely brilliant ones, even this season before he went to Fiorentina. I remember him giving a peach of pass setting Young up free to score, he obviously missed. So I wouldn't say it's that mental.

Shark

@NotShark

If you say Ando is a #10 exactly like Ozil is, which I think Ando is, and he also almost exclusively played in an attacking role in his younger years and before joining us. Considering that, he could've been equally good as Ozil in that role for sure. Ando never really showed it anywhere as a #10, but never got the chance. Ozil was playing at Madrid with Ramos, Pepe, Xabi Alonso and Khedira to support him and had a pretty free attacking role, dream situation for him.

Anderson did get the chance to show his skills playing deeper in midfield, and what he showed there for instance is more than what I'd imagine Ozil would show playing in central midfield. So that's why I would say Anderson definitely has the talent Ozil has. But Ozil has obviously shown more already and Anderson probably never will, makes me a bit sad, although not too much.
That's a new one, it really is.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'd say a decent set of lungs was the most obvious organ deficiency...
And a smaller arse Pogue while we are at it. Very disappointed with Anderson he should/could of been brilliant and now a nothing player.

Cina

Well, I've seen Ozil give some very, very poor passes over the years, and I've seen Anderson given some absolutely brilliant ones, even this season before he went to Fiorentina. I remember him giving a peach of pass setting Young up free to score, he obviously missed. So I wouldn't say it's that mental.
I've seen Xavi and Paul Scholes give poor passes, I mean, if you've making around 100 of them a game, you're bound to get the odd one wrong here and there. Ozil's passing accuracy this season was around 89% or something, he created more chances in La Liga in his time there than any other player, Anderson's passing accuracy barely hits 80% at the best of times. His through balls were laughable, literally, everyone on here used to laugh at them, or his attempts at them, at least.

I can't believe I'm having this debate, the gulf in Ozil and Anderson's passing ability is ridiculous!

Ekeke

Are you nuts?

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I think the confusion is that at the time of the transfer the € was at 1.5 or something, so €31.5M was only £21M, but because the exchange rate moved so much, with the rate now at 1.2 €31.5M is now £26.25M and not so long ago the rate was less than 1.1, making it £28.6M.

For example, if you look on Transfer Market, Rio's fee is given as €46M/£40.5M, when we all know he cost £30M, making him the most expensive defender of all time.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/t...rs_alle_default_default_Abwehr_alle_alle.html

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If Anderson had had those qualities he wouldn't have been anywhere near as useless on the rare occasions we see him on the pitch. Just no. Ozil is a hundred times the footballer Anderson is.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He hasnt played much for them because when he's played he was almost always poor. Its not injury, its lack of performance when given the chances.

A lesser club than Fiorentina in Serie A should be fine. Let him go to mid table and prove he's worthy of a place in a decent team
Well, he has been injured too - to be fair to the poor sod.

Anyway, yes - by all means, if a lesser club is interested we should obviously sell him. But I suspect we need to price him very low. Fiorentina weren't interested at six mill and the Italian league isn't made of money at the present. We need to basically give him away.

Keenst

Oh that old chestnut of Ando being as good as Ozil.

If I had a penny for every time I'd heard that I'd look like this:

Henrik Larsson

I've seen Xavi and Paul Scholes give poor passes, I mean, if you've making around 100 of them a game, you're bound to get the odd one wrong here and there. Ozil's passing accuracy this season was around 89% or something, he created more chances in La Liga in his time there than any other player, Anderson's passing accuracy barely hits 80% at the best of times. His through balls were laughable, literally, everyone on here used to laugh at them, or his attempts at them, at least.

I can't believe I'm having this debate, the gulf in Ozil and Anderson's passing ability is ridiculous!
This is not really a through ball, but it is sort off what I mean, nicely hit pass with the outside of his luscious left foot. Semi-finals CL is an acceptable level too.

If you wanna talk ifs and maybe's: if a Madrid player would give such a pass, or if Valencia were Cristiano Ronaldo and scored, that pass would've gone down in the history books. But all in all obviously I can see where you're coming from and why you rate Ozil over him, which most people will agree with for sure. But it doesn't change my personal opinion on Anderson.

Ekeke

Well, he has been injured too - to be fair to the poor sod.

Anyway, yes - by all means, if a lesser club is interested we should obviously sell him. But I suspect we need to price him very low. Fiorentina weren't interested at six mill and the Italian league isn't made of money at the present. We need to basically give him away.
£6 million is a lot of money for a player who has brought so little to teams. £5 million would be more than I'd expect for him and could easily backfire for a team if he's as mediocre as he has been for Fiorentina. I mean his average rating in his 4 starts is the least in the Fiorentina squad due to 21 year old Ryder being subbed on 18 times

Ekeke

This is not really a through ball, but it is sort off what I mean, nicely hit pass with the outside of his luscious left foot. Semi-finals CL is an acceptable level too.

If you wanna talk ifs and maybe's: if a Madrid player would give such a pass, or if Valencia were Cristiano Ronaldo and scored, that pass would've gone down in the history books. But all in all obviously I can see where you're coming from and why you rate Ozil over him, which most people will agree with for sure. But it doesn't change my personal opinion on Anderson.
? So because Anderson can't use his right foot and so did everything in his power to get a decent ball over by chipping it with the outside of his left foot, that shows the vision of Ozil?

A sunday league player would realise its a good idea to cross the ball when there are 2 players completely free in the box

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
£6 million is a lot of money for a player who has brought so little to teams. £5 million would be more than I'd expect for him and could easily backfire for a team if he's as mediocre as he has been for Fiorentina. I mean his average rating in his 4 starts is the least in the Fiorentina squad due to 21 year old Ryder being subbed on 18 times
Precisely. So if we're serious about offloading Ando we need to make sure the price is right. That is, we can't even think about trying to cut our losses - or anything like that. If the latter is the game we're better off trying to arrange a loan deal and then let him go quietly next summer.

Unless...Van Gaal likes him and proceeds to rejuvenate his career in phoenix like style.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Can he just feck off. The quickest I've ever seen the fat bastard to move was in the video where he caught the bag of crisps. Looked like the happiest day of his life too.

Robbie Boy

He's a bit shit, really. No need to elaborate on what we have all seen for years at this stage.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Anyone that still rates Anderson (is there anyone?) is a sandwich short of a picnic in my eyes.
I don't think anyone actually rates him as such at this stage. The possible debate would be over whether he's a case of a genuinely great talent gone to waste - or just...yeah.

ravelston

I think the confusion is that at the time of the transfer the € was at 1.5 or something, so €31.5M was only £21M, but because the exchange rate moved so much, with the rate now at 1.2 €31.5M is now £26.25M and not so long ago the rate was less than 1.1, making it £28.6M.

For example, if you look on Transfer Market, Rio's fee is given as €46M/£40.5M, when we all know he cost £30M, making him the most expensive defender of all time.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/t...rs_alle_default_default_Abwehr_alle_alle.html
Rio cost £31.12m including payments to his agent. There were supposed to be £4m in contingent payments but they never materialised.

Status
Not open for further replies.