Anderson | 2013/14 Performances (on loan at Fiorentina)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lane

Unpopular opinion alert!

Fergy ruined him by trying to turn him into a CM/CDM.
I watched him in his last season at Porton in CL. And while playing in advanced role i don't think he was suited to be an AM. AM needs to score, it's as simple as that. And he has only scored three goals in 25 games for Porto. So he is surely not a DM, but not an AM either. The fact is he probably could only play in a 3-man midfield as in-between guy. But if you go to a top club, you need to deliver and progress and he never done that. Scholes was not a DM either, hell he was not quite CM, but he changed his game, approach and fitted into the new role. For that you need determination, professionalism, resolution. And Anderson lacked all the above in a spectacular manner! Basically he was just a weak character that could not cope. So it's mostly his fault.

Lane

His time at Fiorentina was a complete failure i take it. Well, we just have to dump him wherever we can, for whatever money we can get. Just to take the man from wage bill. It's been a long time coming really. I think United needed to sell him two years ago.

RustyS

His time at Fiorentina was a complete failure i take it. Well, we just have to dump him wherever we can, for whatever money we can get. Just to take the man from wage bill. It's been a long time coming really. I think United needed to sell him two years ago.
Serie A 26-01-2014 Fiorentina 3 : 3 Genoa 16' 6.4
Serie A 01-02-2014 Cagliari 1 : 0 Fiorentina 53' 5.99
Coppa 04-02-2014 Udinese 2 : 1 Fiorentina 14' N/A
Serie A 08-02-2014 Fiorentina 2 : 0 Atalanta 56' 6.45
Serie A 02-03-2014 Fiorentina 0 : 1 Lazio 33' 6.39
Serie A 09-03-2014 Juventus 1 : 0 Fiorentina 57' 6.04
Serie A 16-03-2014 Fiorentina 3 : 1 Chievo 65' 6.74
Serie A 06-04-2014 Fiorentina 2 : 1 Udinese 0' 5.99

Here are all his appearances for Fiorentina. The bolded number is the amount of minutes he played in each match. The number in red is WhoScored's rating of him. I watched him once and he was average at best.

To be honest the number of games he played and the fact that he's never played a full 90 minutes there says a lot about him at this point.

beardsleybob

I could see him go back to play in Brazil for a few years and be retired before he turns 30. Just doesn't seem bothered that he can't finish 90 minutes on a football pitch. Shocking behaviour from a supposed professional :rolleyes:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Anderson (and others) symbolizes all that is wrong in United in the past few years ie a guy who kept playing with United despite being consistently shit for years. He's a like able lad though.

Sam

Indeed. I remember getting pretty indignant when @Will Absolute was banging that drum over the last couple of years but it's looking more and more as though he was right and I was wrong.

Looking at his career as whole, Fergie's eye for talent is almost beyond reproach. Looking at his record in the last 5-10 years, though, he's spent a lot of money on players that failed to live up to expectations. You can't help thinking all our recent success has been despite his big money signings, rather than because of them.
I think thats actually something that gets swept under the carpet tbh. Fergie's wasted a hell of a lot of money over the past 5/10 years or so, on players that just aren't up to it.

Gannicus

All you need to know about Ando is that he was great player to have in the dressing room, but a shit player on the pitch.

Red_toad

When you look at Januzaj even, Anderson all those years ago doesn't hold a candle to him talent wise. I think that Ando is one of the rare 20-30m signings that you can say that SAF got it completely wrong. Veron and Berbatov are regarded as flops, but Anderson showed far less than them. Hell, even Young has shown more promise, in his first season particularly.
Sorry but Anderson was one of the elite youngsters, right up there with the very best in his age group. Injury & joining United fecked his career somehow! Lad was electric back in the day, very much deserved the new Ronaldhino tag, he was that good. Never realty the same player after breaking his leg.

Ekeke

Sorry but Anderson was one of the elite youngsters, right up there with the very best in his age group. Injury & joining United fecked his career somehow! Lad was electric back in the day, very much deserved the new Ronaldhino tag, he was that good. Never realty the same player after breaking his leg.
Why would someone "deserve" the new Ronaldinho tag for being fast?

Red_toad

Why would someone "deserve" the new Ronaldinho tag for being fast?
I said electric not fast. Had all the skills & very entertaining to watch and yes he was fast. Looked like he was going to be the real deal. Deserved the tag as looked a worthy comparison as a player for a brief time in his career.

Ekeke

I said electric not fast. Had all the skills & very entertaining to watch and yes he was fast. Looked like he was going to be the real deal. Deserved the tag as looked a worthy comparison as a player for a brief time in his career.
Well no he doesnt and never did have "all the skills" of Ronaldinho

He was Gremio's best young player for a while and looked slightly like him. Thats all it came from

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Release Anderson on free. Honestly, I'd rather him off the wage bill entirely with the money saved instead going towards Kroos' wages rather than keep Anderson on. Absolute shocking footballer. If I had to choose between Bebe and Anderson on who to keep next season, I'd pick Bebe every single time.

Ringo 07

Forget all this talk of teams wanting to have B teams in England. If Anderson is coming back then we'll need to set up a 'D' team. Himself and Fellaini would make a formidable duet in midfield for our D team.

Red_toad

Release Anderson on free. Honestly, I'd rather him off the wage bill entirely with the money saved instead going towards Kroos' wages rather than keep Anderson on. Absolute shocking footballer. If I had to choose between Bebe and Anderson on who to keep next season, I'd pick Bebe every single time.
We'd have to pay out his contract so wouldn't save anything. Better off keeping him n loaning him out again!

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Can anyone just take him and Young on a free? Im up to the point where I don't care anymore. Just get them out of the squad.

Keenst

He's another Brazilian who wasted his talent because he was too fond of the good times. I don't have any animosity towards him because he's hardly ever selected anyway. It's not his fault that the club have thought it wise to keep him the last few years and pay him a wage for being a faded talent who can't actually last 90 minutes.

You've got to wonder what the club have been thinking the last few years keeping him around.

RDCR07

He's another Brazilian who wasted his talent because he was too fond of the good times. I don't have any animosity towards him because he's hardly ever selected anyway. It's not his fault that the club have thought it wise to keep him the last few years and pay him a wage for being a faded talent who can't actually last 90 minutes.

You've got to wonder what the club have been thinking the last few years keeping him around.
To be fair its not all his fault. We played in a position where he had never played. We tried to convert him into a deeper lying player. He clearly couldn't cope and we were too stubborn to switch away from the 4-4-2. But I do agree with your point as to why we have kept him for so long?

devilish

the Ronaldinho tag was the result of some lazy journalism. Even in his prime Ando was never close to Ronaldinho. Their style was completely different

devilish

To be fair its not all his fault. We played in a position where he had never played. We tried to convert him into a deeper lying player. He clearly couldn't cope and we were too stubborn to switch away from the 4-4-2. But I do agree with your point as to why we have kept him for so long?
Ando was a no 10 that didn't scored goals or produced enough assists. The convertion to CM was necessary for his career to develop.

I blame United for one thing ie buying a player and then go throughout the pain (and risk) of transforming him. There's a big difference between a homegrown kid and a transfer. In the former situation the club has to adapt to the situation. For example we had to take the risk of converting Scholes from a striker to a CM or else we risked ruining the career of a great homegrown talent. In the latter situation one can choose not to buy the player and opt for a player we need. I struggle to understand such strategy to be honest. Same thing happened with Fellaini who caught the headlines as a no 10 only for us to spend ridiculous money to play him as DM. If we need a deep lying playmaker/DM then we simply get a deep lying playmaker/DM.

pascell

He's just part of the vast amount of Brazilian footballers that didn't make it in the PL. The record of young players coming from Brazil to England and fulfilling their potential is shocking, considering the hype they get.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
The biggest shame in all this is that Anderson's best assets (running with the ball, dribbling, 'attacking space', and moving the ball forward) were the exact things missing from our midfield.

He was the only midfielder that offered this besides Giggs and I think that's why Fergie kept him around. He showed it in flashes and we would all get excited then he would get injured, play some sporadic games and be terrible in the them barely lasting 60 mins.

NMF

Looking at recent golden boy winners from the past decade including the likes of Messi, Aguero, Rooney, Isco, Pogba ect.....it's actually quite depressing how his career has just gone downhill compared to what he could have been.

It will be difficult trying to sell him the only possibility is a move back to Brazil.

BW.k

Unpopular opinion alert!

Fergy ruined him by trying to turn him into a CM/CDM.
He was never going to be an AM or a SS. His passing was inconsistent and he never was half decent at shooting and he also had Rooney infront of him in the pecking order. He had a great of chance of making it even when he played as a proper midfielder he looked good and energetic and we all thought he can definitely make it after his first season. If it wasn't for injuries and improper diet he would've been our starting CM.

RedRover

The biggest shame in all this is that Anderson's best assets (running with the ball, dribbling, 'attacking space', and moving the ball forward) were the exact things missing from our midfield.

He was the only midfielder that offered this besides Giggs and I think that's why Fergie kept him around. He showed it in flashes and we would all get excited then he would get injured, play some sporadic games and be terrible in the them barely lasting 60 mins.
The most bizarre thing about the Anderson signing was taking a player who seemed to be at his best as an attacker - I.e quick and skilful and trying to turn him into a deeper lying central player.

I feel a big sorry fir the lad because his "Brazilian" style was drilled out of him to get him to be a type of player he was probably not that suited to being i.e tracking back and being the base of a midfield - rather than giving him freedom in a more attacking role.

RDCR07

Ando was a no 10 that didn't scored goals or produced enough assists. The convertion to CM was necessary for his career to develop.

I blame United for one thing ie buying a player and then go throughout the pain (and risk) of transforming him. There's a big difference between a homegrown kid and a transfer. In the former situation the club has to adapt to the situation. For example we had to take the risk of converting Scholes from a striker to a CM or else we risked ruining the career of a great homegrown talent. In the latter situation one can choose not to buy the player and opt for a player we need. I struggle to understand such strategy to be honest. Same thing happened with Fellaini who caught the headlines as a no 10 only for us to spend ridiculous money to play him as DM. If we need a deep lying playmaker/DM then we simply get a deep lying playmaker/DM.
Thats bullshit. He was what 18 or 19 when we got him. How many goals do you expect him to score when he is that young?

And Fellaini, he is a CM. Everton played him further up in order to play long ball football. He plays in CM for Belgium. He is first and foremost a CM.

Deleted member 78215

the Ronaldinho tag was the result of some lazy journalism. Even in his prime Ando was never close to Ronaldinho. Their style was completely different
The closest Anderson ever got a prime was a prime steak.

devilish

Thats bullshit. He was what 18 or 19 when we got him. How many goals do you expect him to score when he is that young?

And Fellaini, he is a CM. Everton played him further up in order to play long ball football. He plays in CM for Belgium. He is first and foremost a CM.
You're either a finisher or you're not. Its as simple as that. The likes of Owen were banging goals at age 18 like there was no tomorrow. Ando had as much of finishing instinct as current Gary Neville when he's drunk.

Felliani never impressed in the EPL as a CM. Moyes decision to move him as AM was a stroke of genius as he got the best out of him (power, aerial ability and ability to make a nuisance of himself) while limiting his weaknesses (lack of positioning and mobility). I dont care what he does with Belgium. Its not as if they are Spain or Germany who can afford to be picky and having a player with ample EPL experience is a bonus to nations like Belgium.

Now If we were ready to spend 27m on a DM then we may as well spend them on someone who did great in that position.

RDCR07

You're either a finisher or you're not. Its as simple as that. The likes of Owen were banging goals at age 18 like there was no tomorrow. Ando had as much of finishing instinct as current Gary Neville when he's drunk.
Hmmm NO! What the hell are you talking about? How was Ronaldo when he was 18 and how is he now? Thats a trait you improve as you get older. And Owen was a striker. As a striker of course you score more goals than an AM.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
The most bizarre thing about the Anderson signing was taking a player who seemed to be at his best as an attacker - I.e quick and skilful and trying to turn him into a deeper lying central player.

I feel a big sorry fir the lad because his "Brazilian" style was drilled out of him to get him to be a type of player he was probably not that suited to being i.e tracking back and being the base of a midfield - rather than giving him freedom in a more attacking role.
I don't think Sir Alex and the coaches were trying to turn him into a deep-lying, more defensive midfielder. In his first season, he was all over the place and involved everywhere from front to back. He would always drive the ball forward and was given freedom to play when we had the ball, yet when we were off the ball, Anderson would be tenacious and win the ball from the deeper areas whilst someone like Hargreaves would cover for him. Anderson didn't need to play with much defensive discipline in central midfield, and I think Sir Alex was eyeing him up as more of the offensive central midfielder than defensive.

It was only when Hargreaves got injured and Queiroz left that Sir Alex tried to instill more discipline into his central midfielders. It was in the 2009/10 season where Anderson rarely went forward and played a deeper role along with Carrick just so both could become more defensive disciplined. In the seasons after that, Anderson was given more freedom to play like he was initially, but injuries and the lack of fitness went against him.

It was never Sir Alex's vision to convert Anderson into some deep-lying central midfielder. Anderson was always given the freedom to go forward and get involved in the final third. It was Anderson's lack of fitness that went against him playing well in his role.

devilish

Hmmm NO! What the hell are you talking about? How was Ronaldo when he was 18 and how is he now? Thats a trait you improve as you get older. And Owen was a striker. As a striker of course you score more goals than an AM.
Ronaldo was still a finisher at 18. He was still rough in the edges, more keen to dribble rather then actually be effective and still very lightweight but he would still score the goal if given the opportunity.

Ando couldn't score a goal at Porto even if his very life depended on it. He was a poor finisher and lacked the passing ability and vision to actually become an AM. Converting him into a deep lying playmaker was a wise decision as it would exploit his strong frame while limiting his goalscoring limitations. Unfortunately it wasn't meant to be and had been so for years.

Last edited:

devilish

The notion that attacking midfielders must score goals regularly is a pure myth. The likes of Lampard and Scholes were largely anomallies in the game. Most attacking midfielder are more like Valeron or Zidane. Creation over goals.
Zidane played at Juventus in CM behind Del Piero and Inzaghi. He may not be a goal machine like Scholes was but he could score a goal if he was given the occasion and his vision, intelligence and passing ability were simply top notch. He was also more then capable to start and end a game without running out of steam. Maybe the reason was that he never ate burgers at 1am.

Ando used to play behind the striker and under such circumstances you just have to be a decent finisher. Also his passing ability is average at best and so are his assists.

Status
Not open for further replies.