Anderson | 2013/14 Performances (on loan at Fiorentina)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nedved

I remember a time when my Milan supporting friend wouldn't stop raving about him. Unfortunate, that he could never fulfil his early potential. Mostly injuries though, right?
Yeah, mostly injuries and possibly also attitude. He was an excellent talent and he's still just 24. He was deciding games in the CL against Barca and Real Madrid when he was 20.

Mersault

I don't know whether or not he struggles with eating too much, but if that's the case, sending him to Italy, where you've got some of Europe's best cuisine won't help that much - and most of that is rich in carbohydrates

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Yeah, mostly injuries and possibly also attitude. He was an excellent talent and he's still just 24. He was deciding games in the CL against Barca and Real Madrid when he was 20.
He'll be 26 in just over a month, i think any potential he has has gone for a burton.

mufcwarm92

2003 Van Der Vaart
2004 Rooney
2005 Messi
2006 Fabregas
2007 Aguero
2008 Anderson
2009 Pato
2010 Balotelli
2011 Gotze
2012 Isco
2013 Pogba

Golden Boy winners. Pointless nit-picking really but it's a shame he couldn't have turned out even a quarter as good as most of the players on that list.
He really is an unbelievable waste of talent. He looks so out of place now but he absolutely deserved that award at the time.

Nedved

He'll be 26 in just over a month, i think any potential he has has gone for a burton.
25, but he was more than just potential. A shame either way. Getting involved with Barbara Berlusconi was the beginning of the end.

bishblaize

I saw an interesting article somewhere over the summer that had a good point about Anderson. Essentially it said that what made Anderson great in the early days was his care free (some might say samba) attitude. It meant that as a youngster he could express himself on the pitch, and dare to do things, in a way that all the great young players do.

Sadly that care free attitude extended not just to his performances on the pitch, but to his approach to training, his diet and a party lifestyle (think of those rumoured bikini parties and the crashed Ferrari). No great player does that.

Donut

He'll be in the Championship or Brazil's lower leagues next year.

jeff_goldblum

Watching that video posted earlier it seems bizarre we tried to mould him as a centre-midfielder. Not that his motivation and injuries aren't hugely to blame also, obviously. I suppose at the time we signed him he'd have been fighting with Rooney, Tevez and Ronaldo if he wanted to start higher up the pitch.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Watching that video posted earlier it seems bizarre we tried to mould him as a centre-midfielder. Not that his motivation and injuries aren't hugely to blame also, obviously. I suppose at the time we signed him he'd have been fighting with Rooney, Tevez and Ronaldo if he wanted to start higher up the pitch.
He should have been moulded the same way as Seedorf and Nedved - midfielders stuck out wide where their drive and creativity could be expressed more fully.

That sort of wide player has no room at utd though. It was central midfield or bust for him.

binary bot
You're obviously negating some of his attacking ability in converting him to a midfielder, but it didn't look like a bad idea in the days of Skinny, more athletic Anderson. I think it was the wrong move in the end but ultimately the injuries and evidently his work ethic were the bigger reasons behind him not fulfilling his potential.

Nedved

You're obviously negating some of his attacking ability in converting him to a midfielder, but it didn't look like a bad idea in the days of Skinny, more athletic Anderson. I think it was the wrong move in the end but ultimately the injuries and evidently his work ethic were the bigger reasons behind him not fulfilling his potential.
That video proves this as well. He had plenty of pace and athleticism, and now he has neither. Says more about his work ethic and discipline than the position he's played in.

Ekeke

I saw an interesting article somewhere over the summer that had a good point about Anderson. Essentially it said that what made Anderson great in the early days was his care free (some might say samba) attitude. It meant that as a youngster he could express himself on the pitch, and dare to do things, in a way that all the great young players do.

Sadly that care free attitude extended not just to his performances on the pitch, but to his approach to training, his diet and a party lifestyle (think of those rumoured bikini parties and the crashed Ferrari). No great player does that.
He didnt really use it to do things though, other than look-away passes which usually went awry that got our supporters over-excited.

Mauzindark

Why didn't we offer him a rolling 1 year contract in 2010 ? He'd been shite even then.

binary bot
He was 21/22 in 2010, you wouldn't have been overly optimistic back then to imagine that he could come good.

Last edited:

bishblaize

He didnt really use it to do things though, other than look-away passes which usually went awry that got our supporters over-excited.
I think that's years of disappointment clouding your memory. He was great in his first season. He's the only player we've had in midfield who could really pick up the ball and drive at our opponents with the ball at his feet. Even now after all these years we need someone to do that.

Ekeke

I think that's years of disappointment clouding your memory. He was great in his first season. He's the only player we've had in midfield who could really pick up the ball and drive at our opponents with the ball at his feet. Even now after all these years we need someone to do that.
I think you're mistaken. He did well for a period when Scholes was unavailable in some tough matches. He wasnt great, he was impressive for a 19 year old and some pegged him as being a potential great.

Rossa

Absolute useless cnut. I hope to god he doesn't end up back at United
He's anything but a cnut. He's a very likeable character that has never said an ill word about the club, even defended the club from that fake interview, where a bunch of guys on here were real cnuts.

It does look like he will never amass to much these days though - unfortunate I think.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
I think you're mistaken. He did well for a period when Scholes was unavailable in some tough matches. He wasnt great, he was impressive for a 19 year old and some pegged him as being a potential great.
I agree.

The Anderson as a future great thing didn't come from anything that he did at Manchester United. He arrived with a reputation as a 'Golden Shoe' winner at a youth World Cup; the 'next Ronaldinho' simply because he played for the same club as him him in Brazil and Fergie proclaimed that his scouts report described him as 'better than Wayne Rooney'.

He did OK in his first season and looked like he might kick on but didn't make a single step of progress after that, in fact he regressed.

I don't think that we ever saw anything from him wearing the red of Manchester United that suggested that he could be a world class player.

I don't even think that the guy is Premier League level anymore.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It wasn't long into his first season when a rival fan posted a video on YouTube with comedy bazooka sound effects to accompany every wildly over-hit pass. Think it was against Everton?

It was met with great derision on here because we were desperate for the "shits on Fabregarse" narrative to be true. Little did we know that those wild passes would still be a defining feature of his game 5 years later...

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Is the kid still alive? Is he back on the pizzas? If he can't get in the Fiorentina team, what chance does he have at United? Will the new manager even consider him or is it already curtains for our Brazilian entertainer?

Sid234

He's made just 4 starts for Fiorentina, come off the bench 3 times and hasn't played 90 minutes for them..

The longest he's been on the pitch after starting is 65 minutes. Speaks volumes about his fitness levels!

Also from what I've read, he's been very poor when he's played. Probably be one of the first players to be sold this summer..

ricky-romeo

anderson is a very disappointing story.

not many fans knew him as much as nani when we signed him on july 1st 2007 but i was straight away looking for his youtube videos. and got mesmerized by it of course. we all know you can't trust youtube but again he was one of the best young player in the world back then and it was like singing hazard in 2012 or maybe someone like draxler now.

shame how things turn out for him and of course he would have been a great player for us if he did work hard enough.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He was quite brilliant in his first couple seasons considering his age and the position he was asked to play. There were reviews like these pretty regularly:

Watching England coach Fabio Capello must have been delighted at Rooney's contribution, although how he must wish he could call on Anderson and Dimitar Berbatov, the instigators of United's first back-to-back successes of the season.
http://www.espnfc.com/en/report/242296/report.html?soccernet=true

Anderson was terrific, he wasn’t intimidated by Steven Gerrard,” said Ferguson. “I thought he handled that particular part of the game really well. Steven was actually quite quiet today. Hargreaves has got more experience obviously. Both of them did a great job.”

http://therepublikofmancunia.com/fergie-anderson-kept-gerrard-quiet/

I don't think his issue was generally being asked to play out of position, he excelled at driving through the midfield and he could have created a happy medium between his flair and some tactical discipline while playing in a box-to-box role. You just cannot put your finger at anything other than his lack of discipline, bad lifestyle choices and may be an eating disorder for why he never fulfilled his potential. He was always the prodigy but never became the finished article.

Its kind of strange because he used to hang out with Ronaldo and Nani the most when he was at United and both were physical freaks when it comes to fitness and professionalism.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
His only good attributes I could think of is shielding the ball with his fat ass, which sums it up all.

Kag

Anderson failed for a number of reasons, but in his defence, I'd attribute his injuries to his lack of growth. He had many good games, he did and does have a lot of talent, but that knee injury against Wolves was a horror, and really set him back. Beyond that, it's been niggle after niggle. I don't doubt his much - argued indiscipline, however I simply can't believe that Sir Alex and our team of medical professionals would allow that kind of thing to go on for so long. Rooney, for example, has always irritated Sir Alex because of his well - known indiscipline, that's no secret.

I don't think rotation did him any favours. He'd regularly find himself dropped for a 36 year old Scholes after a good outing, which was never of benefit. And then there's his actual fitness. I could be wrong, but I'm certain I read that he had the lowest Co2/O2 levels at the club upon arrival, which would explain his poor lack of stamina.

Then there's the probable fact that he just didn't take it all that seriously, which he himself has admitted. I like the guy, and I know there's still a good player in there, but it's a sorry story when you consider he promised so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.