Anderson | 2013/14 Performances (on loan at Fiorentina)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anderson barely played even when we played shite. His departure makes no difference whatsoever.

I still think that we should strengthen the midfield before we sell. I mean, its not as if our first team CM are doing great at the moment.

However its not a tragedy that we're letting off this piece of erm...

He's a better player than Cleverley. He gets worse on the caf the less he plays.

Anderson barely played even when we played shite. His departure makes no difference whatsoever.

I agree. It won't make a difference. Hopefully we bring in a central midfielder. Wouldn't be surprised if we went in for Marchisio.

He's a better player than Cleverley. He gets worse on the caf the less he plays.

Its difficult to judge these two players up since there's very little quality between them.

Cleverley is reliable, you know what you're going to get. With Anderson, there is no reliability. Plays well, gets injured, and then performs poorly post-injury...

It will be the end of an era. I remember a poster on here putting the name 'Anderson Luís de Abreu Oliveira' in a thread for the 'next BPITW' or such like. And that was only about a year ago!!!
For so many years we have waited for the mythical genius of Anderson to show up, alas it never did.

Funnily enough he has a medal collection befitting a player of world class status but I think that he will go down as one of United's greatest disappointments, or a 'mega flop' in tabloid terms.

Cleverley is reliable, you know what you're going to get. With Anderson, there is no reliability. Plays well, gets injured, and then performs poorly post-injury...

Cleverley hasn't been very reliable as of late. He made a stupid penalty and generally is poor defensively. I think Ando would have performed better if given a chance.

I still like him but I can no longer defend him. Its the right time to let him go, cut our losses and just move on. We need another midfielder as a replacement though to make up numbers

Really wanted to see this potential which was talked about ,but after six years at the club we will never see it ,maybe at Fiorentina he will kickstart his career.

Is it too ambitious to think that if we are letting him go, we have someone lined up. I mean he's hardly played but its not like we are deep in numbers in central midfield.

Sigh, probably is wishful thinking on my part isn't it.

Cleverley hasn't been very reliable as of late. He made a stupid penalty and generally is poor defensively. I think Ando would have performed better if given a chance.

Yeah I know, but I was talking about general performances. Cleverley has done well since he broke into the squad. That obviously doesn't mean I'm content with what he's offering, currently he's far off from what you would expect from him, but he's a reliable figure. You can count on him to do a competent job. Anderson has more talent, but the transition to central midfield has gone pretty badly. He's much, much better in a three-man midfield, which isn't to say that he's not performed for us in a 4-4-2, but it's a great to way to build up his confidence. Another problem is that he seems to forget that he's a footballer after he comes back from an injury that stops his run of very good form. The second half of 12/13 was nothing short of mediocre for him, but the first half was wonderful. The way he came on against Arsenal and controlled the game for us, when we lost control, was great to see, but he doesn't have the confidence or backing of the manager to maintain this form at Manchester United. He would require the Rooney treatment of having him work on his fitness and consistency and ensure they propel to high levels.

Has he finally fecked off then?

I need to get on the phone to my broker and get rid of those Greggs shares before they plummet faster than you can say "two sausage rolls and a minced beef slice por favor".

Yeah I know, but I was talking about general performances. Cleverley has done well since he broke into the squad. That obviously doesn't mean I'm content with what he's offering, currently he's far off from what you would expect from him, but he's a reliable figure. You can count on him to do a competent job. Anderson has more talent, but the transition to central midfield has gone pretty badly. He's much, much better in a three-man midfield, which isn't to say that he's not performed for us in a 4-4-2, but it's a great to way to build up his confidence. Another problem is that he seems to forget that he's a footballer after he comes back from an injury that stops his run of very good form. The second half of 12/13 was nothing short of mediocre for him, but the first half was wonderful. The way he came on against Arsenal and controlled the game for us, when we lost control, was great to see, but he doesn't have the confidence or backing of the manager to maintain this form at Manchester United. He would require the Rooney treatment of having him work on his fitness and consistency and ensure they propel to high levels.

I think I can agree with this. Good post, mate!

He had much more potential, and can put in better performances. It's just something we rarely saw though, and the injuries every single season meant he could never be relied on. When he was bad he was absolute shambolic. No positional sense, awful passing, just looked like someone who should not be near the Man Utd team. Don't know what happened here because I never saw him play before we signed him. People used to say he was the next Ronaldinho, and he played more as an attacker. The box to box experiment failed miserably, and he was fit for about 5 minutes so never really got a run in the side. Hope he can salvage something at another club, and Fiorentina wouldn't be a bad one.

Been pissing into the wind with him for long enough, sad to see him leave but only from the point of view that he seems a very likeable character and failed to fulfil his potential. Farewell Anderson Luís de Abreu Oliveira.

Been pissing into the wind with him for long enough, sad to see him leave but only from the point of view that he seems a very likeable character and failed to fulfil his potential. Farewell Anderson Luís de Abreu Oliveira.

Amazing to think he is still only 25 and has such a great medal collection. 2 league winners medals in Portugal, Portuguese cup medal, 4 PL medals,2 LC and a CL. He also won the Golden boy award.

Always hoped he'd become the answer to our problems, that first season was great. But he should have left about 3 years ago for the good of his career. Has most of the attributes needed to play CM and shows them in flashes but doesn't have the football brain. He's pretty stupid as players go.

I think some of the treatment he is getting off United fans is poor. Yes, he has not lived up to what we wanted when we signed him, partly his fault, partly injuries, a whole host of issues. That's football. But he loves the club, has played a role in winning trophies, has never had a bad word to say about the club, never complains etc. Now a lot of our fans are saying "feck off and good riddance" etc. I think he deserves a little more respect and I wish him all the best and hopefully can have a good career elsewhere.

To me if a player has reached their mid 20's and is not playing or playing as few minutes as Anderson (or Fabio) then there is little point in them being at the club. The reasons why they failed - injury, lack of form, out of favour with the manager - and whose fault it is no longer matter once it reaches the stage that Anderson has got to. You move them to another club where they will at least have a chance to get a game.

To me if a player has reached their mid 20's and is not playing or playing as few minutes as Anderson (or Fabio) then there is little point in them being at the club. The reasons why they failed - injury, lack of form, out of favour with the manager - and whose fault it is no longer matter once it reaches the stage that Anderson has got to. You move them to another club where they will at least have a chance to get a game.

All very true.

With that said though, I'll be following him with interest. I think that with the standards this club holds, injuries aside, he's found it very difficult to get any sort of a run of games which has hindered him somewhat. I think if he players for a lesser team, with lesser standards his shortcomings with fitness and what not could be overlooked and he could play a more central role and find some real form.

He's got the talent, he just doesn't have the stamina and probably attitude to go with it.

It's been a very frustrating experience. Even last year (which was a write off) he still put in possibly the best individual performance of the season against Chelsea, yet the same cycle has happened over and over again for too long now. Shame, because that first season with him filling for an out of form and injured Paul Scholes was excellent.

Interestingly, for all the talk about attitude, there was an interview at one point last year with him and Quinton Fortune on MUTV, and figuratively speaking you could see the blood drain from his face when the topic of injuries came up. You could tell from his reaction that he cared and that he's been deeply disappointed with how it's gone, and that level of misfortune can't have been easy. It still might not have happened with him, but he's another case of a youngster who's been put at a ridiculous disadvantage because of injury. If Smalling, Rafael, Fabio, Anderson and Nani had had better luck, the transition towards another great team might've been a lot smoother.

It's been a very frustrating experience. Even last year (which was a write off) he still put in possibly the best individual performance of the season against Chelsea, but the same cycle has happened over and over again for too long now. Shame, because that first season with him compensating for an out of form and injured Paul Scholes was excellent.

Interestingly, for all the talk about attitude, there was an interview at one point last year with him and Quinton Fortune on MUTV, and figuratively speaking you could see the blood drain from his face when the topic of injuries came up. You could tell from his reaction that he cared and that he's been deeply disappointed with how it's gone, and that level of misfortune can't have been easy. It still might not have happened with him, but he's another case of a youngster who's been put at a ridiculous disadvantage because of injury. If Smalling, Rafael, Fabio, Anderson and Nani had had better luck, the transition towards another greater team might've been a lot smoother.

That may well be true but I do think we've United have kept this Anderson dream going a bit too long, maybe if he wasn't such a nice bloke, we'd have cut our losses long ago. I think part of the problem we have in our squad now is because we're a bit too nice sometimes, we're very sentimental and there's no place for that these days.

That may well be true but I do think we've United have kept this Anderson dream going a bit too long, maybe if he wasn't such a nice bloke, we'd have cut our losses long ago. I think part of the problem we have in our squad now is because we're a bit too nice sometimes, we're very sentimental and there's no place for that these days.

Probably. Last season was when I gave up, to be honest. He had that period once more in the first half of the season but it's gone on way too long, and from a financial point of view the club can't justify him being here. It's not that he hasn't contributed anything at all over the years, but there's just no sense of reliability there whatsoever.

Wish him all the best. Don't think he's anything special but still think he's a better player than Cleverley.

Status
Not open for further replies.