Ander Herrera is a Manchester United Player!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So not wanting us to do panic buys (this is obviously one) is wumming?

Really, the best example is Bayern. Many people thought that paying €40m for Javi Martinez was crazy but in the end it was money well spent, it turned them from nearly men into Europe's dominant force.
But it took about 3 months insane drama to make it happen. Even after Martinez agreed to lower his wages to make up for the crazy release clause, we needed another 2 or 3 weeks to pull it off. Somehow I doubt you can make a deal with Bilbao happen in just a few days unless you pay the release clause and all the taxes that come with it, which then is a lot more than just €36m. Good luck though, I really hope for you guys that you at least sign one great player today.

How is this a panic buy? He's a good midfielder from a country that is renowned for producing them, probably the best one who is still available to us.

How is this a panic buy? He's a good midfielder from a country that is renowned for producing them, probably the best one who is still available to us.

Because people love to label any transfer made on deadline day as a panic buy.

And this was all a well planned tactic, to bid four days before the end of the transfer window... For a player who hss had an average season and by all accounts is good but not in the top tier of talents... No thank you.

And this was all a well planned tactic, to bid four days before the end of the transfer window... For a player who hss had an average season and by all accounts is good but not in the top tier of talents... No thank you.
Barry

So everyone here watched him regularly and decided that he's good enough us? Better than Cleverley doesn't cut it. At least it shouldn't.

I'm sure it's his performance against us that got people excited, it was a good performance nothing more. I hope if we do sign him that he proves me wrong in thinking that he isn't as good as people here think.

Absolutely looks like a panic buy, I doubt Moyes knows much about him.

Because people love to label any transfer made on deadline day as a panic buy.
A transfer made on deadline day of which our interest was well documented throughout the season and maybe preluded by a bid or two would be a coup; you've identified a player and worked hard all summer to get him.

Our first bid was made on thursday as the Athletic Bilbao president has said, before that we were focused on Fabregas, Fellaini add Baines... and maybe Thiago (depending on who you believe). You don't bid days before the market closes (especially knowing first bids are often rejected and knowing the particular club is weird as feck concerning transfers AND knowing that you might have to wade into the murky Spanish release clause business again) if this player was identified early on.

Panic buy.

Maybe Kevin wants us to sign better players than Fellaini and Herrera and believes that signing them might prevent us from going after better players when they become available, a situation we find ourselves in with our wingers. That's why he is suggesting players like Barry who would only be short term cover for Carrick (which is the most pressing need of the squad currently). Is it right Kevin? Doesn't help though that he is spamming his thoughts in every thread, and it's the only thing he is posting.

So everyone here watched him regularly and decided that he's good enough us? Better than Cleverley doesn't cut it. At least it shouldn't.

I'm sure it's his performance against us that got people excited, it was a good performance nothing more. I hope if we do sign him that he proves me wrong in thinking that he isn't as good as people here think.
If he fails, the same people clamouring for us to buy him and making sarcastic comments about others labelling him for what he is (panic buy) will be taking potshots at woodward and co using the same logic (finally) as us. He is a panic buy.

Maybe Kevin wants us to sign better players than Fellaini and Herrera and believes that signing them might prevent us from going after better players when they become available, a situation we find ourselves in with our wingers. That's why he is suggesting players like Barry who would only be short term cover for Carrick (which is the most pressing need of the squad currently). Is it right Kevin? Doesn't help though that he is spamming his thoughts in every thread, and it's the only thing he is posting.

He wants Fellaini very much. He's also a bit of a wum.

I wanted Fabregas and Thiago as much as the average muppet.

But it took about 3 months insane drama to make it happen. Even after Martinez agreed to lower his wages to make up for the crazy release clause, we needed another 2 or 3 weeks to pull it off. Somehow I doubt you can make a deal with Bilbao happen in just a few days unless you pay the release clause and all the taxes that come with it, which then is a lot more than just €36m. Good luck though, I really hope for you guys that you at least sign one great player today.

Yes, that's all true - but my point was that Bayern were willing to take the risk and pay up whereas we look very reluctant to do that when it comes to midfield. We're more than happy to overpay in any other position (see the Zaha or Young deals) though not for players in the 30-40m bracket, that's true.

Yes, that's all true - but my point was that Bayern were willing to take the risk and pay up whereas we look very reluctant to do that when it comes to midfield. We're more than happy to overpay in any other position (see the Zaha or Young deals) though not for players in the 30-40m bracket, that's true.
Yeah, my post was more meant as an addition, I agree with your point. Bayern were clearly motivated by the ending of the 2011/12 season though. I doubt we would have done it without being shown up in the league by Dortmund again and failing to win the CL final at home.

If he fails, the same people clamouring for us to buy him and making sarcastic comments about others labelling him for what he is (panic buy) will be taking potshots at woodward and co using the same logic (finally) as us. He is a panic buy.

Utter nonsense.

I wonder if Real know anything about their panic buy yesterday.
Oh you mean the player they have chased all summer, starting with Zidane labelling him a top player that deserved a world record bid back in june, which subsequently has happened?

I bet the elaborate plan to enter the first bid for this Herrara chap four days before the end of the transfer window going up against a real fecker of a club notorious for being stubborn was first brought up around june, what say you?

Yeah exactly the same as the Bale transfer. Lawlzies.

We've enquired about him twice before - last summer and again in January, but were told he wasn't for sale. We may have left it late, we had other fish to fry, but it's not like we drew his name out of a hat.

The rumours from the Athletic side were that they weren't going to make it hard by forcing us through the formal system but that we would have to come up with the 36m (+ maybe 1.3m for Zaragosa who have a development share in him).

At any rate, I'll accept that we might be paying over the odds (whoever writes those) but I would never see it as a panic buy.

How likely do you reckon it is to happen jojojo?

Oh you mean the player they have chased all summer, starting with Zidane labelling him a top player that deserved a world record bid back in june, which subsequently has happened?

I bet the elaborate plan to enter the first bid for this Herrara chap four days before the end of the transfer window going up against a real fecker of a club notorious for being stubborn was first brought up around june, what say you?

I have no idea. Neither do you. Don't let that stop you talking shit, though.

Yeah exactly the same as the Bale transfer. Lawlzies.

I didn't say it was.

This is the most likely scenario: moyes panicks after the helpless efforts of the club to get his targeted players, he still wants a good midfielder or two added to his squad, he asks Fergie for advice ( the one who was the boss when we asked about herrera the past few years) and here we are scrambling for his signature om deadline day.

Kevin's been being a dick all summer, I've blocked him but its no surprise to see him rile people again in here.

Kevin's been being a dick all summer, I've blocked him but its no surprise to see him rile people again in here.

I have been very consistent with my views. Back the manager when he chases his targets (fellaini, fabregas, thiago if the rumors we were in for him were true), hope we don't do stupid things when time was running out.

For those of us with Kevin on ignore, you look like you've lost the plot Lance!:lol: Just leave him be.

Arsenal and Liverpool will have bigger record signings than us now?

If Ozil is confirmed, then yes they will have.

The record spends by English clubs would be something like:

1. Chelsea - £50 million (Torres; January 2011)
2. Arsenal - £46 million (Ozil; summer 2013)
3. Man City - £45 million (Tevez; summer 2009)
4. Liverpool - £35 million (Carroll; January 2011)

Have any of the Spurs signings this summer beaten our record £30.75 million for Berba in summer 2008?

I'm quite proud of the fact we haven't smashed some of those silly figures.

If Ozil is confirmed, then yes they will have.

The record spends by English clubs would be something like:

1. Chelsea - £50 million (Torres; January 2011)
2. Arsenal - £46 million (Ozil; summer 2013)
3. Man City - £45 million (Tevez; summer 2009)
4. Liverpool - £35 million (Carroll; January 2011)

Have any of the Spurs signings this summer beaten our record £30.75 million for Berba in summer 2008?
If you add the bonuses and add ons, then I think so. Lamela is something around ~31M (25.7 + add ons)

Just to add a bid of pricing context.

We paid 30m Euros for Anderson, we paid 25m Euros for Nani - 6 years ago. Yes, the exchange rate was better then, but why would Athletic care about that? They're a Eurozone club who can't actually go shopping in the UK. The release clause is more or less what he's worth to them.

The bit we don't know is what he's worth to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.