Ander Herrera is a Manchester United Player!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't really want us to go for him, the benefits of having him over Anderson/Cleverley short-term(accounting for risks) are not going to be huge. So I would prefer if we didn't get him and invested the money in a 1st choice player next year/or jan instead of a 10th choice player this year because we panic.

It also sends the wrong signals about United as a club, that we can't compete in the transfer-market at all and have to accept the left-overs.

There is also an ok chance that Chelsea will fail to keep their players happy and we can get some really cheap quality player from them. I would not be too surprised if Mata falls out with Mourinho and we can sell them Rooney for Mata+cash.

Don't really want us to go for him, the benefits of having him over Anderson/Cleverley short-term(accounting for risks) are not going to be huge.

Don't worry Anderson will make it this year. This is his big year. Like the last one....and the one before that...and the one before that....and the one before that...and the one before that....and the one before that

Just browsed through some comments from Athletic fans, as you'd expect there is all sorts of differing opinions ranging from: Good Luck, He's too small for the english league, he's not a proper Athletic player because he's from Zaragoza, €25m ain't enough for him, he's not arsed about Spain, the chairman is a cnut.

Didn't someone say he was like 6ft? Unless they are implying he needs to bulk up, which is hardly impossible.

Can someone who knows about such things advise which source - the paper that says it's ON or the radio station that says it's OFF - is generally more reliable?

Don't really want us to go for him, the benefits of having him over Anderson/Cleverley short-term(accounting for risks) are not going to be huge. So I would prefer if we didn't get him and invested the money in a 1st choice player next year/or jan instead of a 10th choice player this year because we panic.

It also sends the wrong signals about United as a club, that we can't compete in the transfer-market at all and have to accept the left-overs.

There is also an ok chance that Chelsea will fail to keep their players happy and we can get some really cheap quality player from them. I would not be too surprised if Mata falls out with Mourinho and we can sell them Rooney for Mata+cash.

Mata is not a midfielder. Midfield is area where United lack depth in both quality and quantity.
Outside of the Premiership when have United been able to compete for the the best in recent times?

I 'like' the Athletic Facebook page (have done since they outclassed us back in 2012), and they've just put up 5 photos of the team arriving for the game against Madrid. I can't recognise Herrera in any of them....this is so fecking on!

Admittedly there's only about 5 players in the photos, so he almost certainly will be there somewhere off camera. Plus there is actually a photo that does look a lot like him...is this him below, smiling like a creep?
1236509_626641747367591_1927977785_n.jpg

Don't worry Anderson will make it this year. This is his big year. Like the last one....and the one before that...and the one before that....and the one before that...and the one before that....and the one before that

Anderson/Cleverley are already at or around Herrera's level, so there is no point in replacing one of them with Herrera. Herrera was not any top teams first target this season because he simply isn't good enough for the best clubs - if he was everybody would be all over him.

We can get better quality next year/jan as most big clubs invested heavily in central midfielders/AM's this year. That means we can pick up the players who aren't taking a first place and are unhappy with it, or save up the money from this year to get THE best talent of next year instead.

We won the league with Anderson/Clevs last year and even if our CM remains the same we can easily improve as a team just by improving our wing-play(which has been addressed already).

Obviously this is just a last-minute solution to our complete feck-up of Moyes playing too much Football Manager 1997 where you could buy anybody for 20 mill.

I'm not sure this should be seen as a panic buy. Herrera was clearly second choice to Fabregas (no shame in that, mind), but that shouldn't stop us from doing a deal. Any club, when recruiting for a certain position, will have a depth of choices beyond number 1. I bet a large number of United's deals over the years have involved getting someone further down the list - think of Yorke's signing in 1998 (hadn't United chased the likes of Kluivert and Batistuta?), and that turned out fine IIRC.

The fact of the matter is, Fabregas is unlikely to become available again, so we have to look down the list. I can understand why having looked at someone like Cesc, we would consider Herrera next, though the latter seems more balanced in his play whereas Fabregas has become far more focussed on attack. I like this signing - Herrera seems to be at the sort of stage Alonso was when he left Basque Country to further his career.

I 'like' the Athletic Facebook page (have done since they outclassed us back in 2012), and they've just put up 5 photos of the team arriving for the game against Madrid. I can't recognise Herrera in any of them....this is so fecking on!

Admittedly there's only about 5 players in the photos, so he almost certainly will be there somewhere off camera. Plus there is actually a photo that does look a lot like him...is this him below, smiling like a creep?

The guy smiling crazily with the backpack? That's not him.

Mata is not a midfielder. Midfield is area where United lack depth in both quality and quantity.
Outside of the Premiership when have United been able to compete for the the best in recent times?

Spell out "AM" and you will realize Mata is in fact a midfielder.

Those messages were sent and received all over the world a long time ago, specially since the sugar daddy clubs emerged. It would take a newbie in football to realize that Utd cannot compete for most talents who happen to be extremely expensive.

I'm not sure this can be seen as a panic buy. Herrera was clearly second choice to Fabregas (no shame in that, mind), but that shouldn't stop us from doing a deal. Any club when recruiting for a certain position will have a depth of choices beyond number 1. A bet a large number of United's deals over the years have involved getting someone further down the list - think of Yorke's signing in 1998 (hadn't United chased the likes of Kluivert and Batistuta?), and that turned out fine IIRC.

The fact of the matter is, Fabregas is unlikely to become available again, so we have to look down the list. I can understand why having looked at someone like Cesc, we would consider Herrera next, though the latter seems more balanced in his play whereas Fabregas has become far more focussed on attack. I like this signing - Herrera seems to be at the sort of stage Alonso was when he left Basque Country to further his career.

Are we very sure that is the case though? That we were only ever in to Fabregas this year and everything else has been rubbish.(Fellaini, Alcantara, De Rossi etc etc)

*Somehow managed to delete my post earlier, too early for this shit.

Andoni Iraola and Oscar De Marcos.

Are we very sure that is the case though? That we were only ever in to Fabregas this year and everything else has been rubbish.(Fellaini, Alcantara, De Rossi etc etc)

But you have to categorise the types of midfielder. I think, based on everything we've seen unfold, that we're after two CMs. Fabregas, Thiago and Herrera are in one pot, De Rossi and Fellaini in the other (roughly speaking). Anyway, there are clearly doubts as to whether we seriously went in for Thiago; sure, we considered him, but whether we were seriously in for him is another matter.

It's fair to say that Herrera is second choice to Fabregas, but that's about the extent of it. It's not as though we've been turned down by three or four other players before settling on Herrera.

Those messages were sent and received all over the world a long time ago, specially since the sugar daddy clubs emerged. It would take a newbie in football to realize that Utd cannot compete for most talents who happen to be extremely expensive.

If you look at our average transfers you will realize our budget is at around 50-60 mill which is enough to buy many of the midfielders who was sold both this and last summer. For just half of 60 mill we would be able to get Isco, which means we would be able to have another 30 mill for cheaper purchases.

So the problem is not in "affording" it is in our valuation of players always being too low. We could afford spending 30 mill on Isco - but we didn't value him at 30 mill.

If you look at our average transfers you will realize our budget is at around 50-60 mill which is enough to buy many of the midfielders who was sold both this and last summer. For just half of 60 mill we would be able to get Isco, which means we would be able to have another 30 mill for cheaper purchases.

So the problem is not in "affording" it is in our valuation of players always being too low. We could afford spending 30 mill on Isco - but we didn't value him at 30 mill.

No Annahnomoss, it isn't. Our average net spend in the last 10 years is around 15m. And feck this evaluation, our club thinks that they are living in 2007. My bet is that we don't have that much money as supporters think.

But you have to categorise the types of midfielder. I think, based on everything we've seen unfold, that we're after two CMs. Fabregas, Thiago and Herrera are in one pot, De Rossi and Fellaini in the other (roughly speaking). Anyway, there are clearly doubts as to whether we seriously went in for Thiago; sure, we considered him, but whether we were seriously in for him is another matter.

It's fair to say that Herrera is second choice to Fabregas, but that's about the extent of it. It's not as though we've been turned down by three or four other players before settling on Herrera.

Personally I don't think this summer we went for Fabregas until half a week ago and then started going for Herrera but that is just my opinion of it.

No Annahnomoss, it isn't. Our average net spend in the last 10 years is around 15m. And feck this evaluation, our club thinks that they are living in 2007. My bet is that we don't have that much money as supporters think.

I am not talking about net-spend, our annual purchases has been at 50-60 mill for a long time. It has been our philosophy to buy as many players as we could for that figure though instead of buying fewer player for more which was the philosophy SAF had prior to that for a while around the time Rooney joined.

I also agree that I think we don't have as much money as some supporters think(worlds richest and yada yada). The annual purchases are facts however so I am not basing it of anything but how much we have spent the last 10~ years in average.

If moyes believed that clev/ando were as good as herrera then he wouldnt try to sign him up. Or are you insinuating that hes an idiot? The truth is that ando cant go the distance and bringing a midfielder who taught us how football should be played In cm seem to be a good idea.

Eh? How do you know we didn't value Isco at 30m?

I am not talking about net-spend, our annual purchases has been at 50-60 mill for a long time. It has been our philosophy to buy as many players as we could for that figure though instead of buying fewer player for more which was the philosophy SAF had prior to that for a while around the time Rooney joined.

Yes, but we haven't sell no-one that would generate that much money in this or last summer. Which means that is irrelevant how much we spent on years we also sold players.

I'm not sure we're in interested in buying 2 midfielders, besides both Herrera and Fellaini play further up the pitch. As do all our midfield targets.

Nuts are being massaged as we speak.

He has started the first 2 matches though right? And he's not injured? And he's the only Herrera they have?

I'm not sure we're in interested in buying 2 midfielders, besides both Herrera and Fellaini play further up the pitch. As do all our midfield targets.

Don't worry. Fellaini is coming to play as No.10 :drool:

He's on the bench

IT'S
feckING
ON

Status
Not open for further replies.