Ander Herrera is a Manchester United Player!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That clearly sounds like Herrera would have to pay the clause himself which is the only way to actually force a move through. Manchester United would have to deposit enough in his account so that he was left with €36m to buy himself out, with the tax rates in Spain regionally that would work out at almost double, so over €70m. They could also add IVA, which would add around €7m to the figure Manchester United would have to pay.

The softening of the words from Athletic Club will be welcome and the suggestion from the local newspaper and the club's manager that there's something going on (having to check he's able to play, taking an extra player to Madrid) will give cause for optimism. Manchester United will probably be tip-toeing around Urrutia's pride right now and a bid of just over the buyout clause could help smooth things along.
Follow us on Twitter @Sport_Witness

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/...ven-hope-on-herrera-as-athletic-club-soften-t

I assume that is why Bayern paid above Thiago's clause? I never paid any attention to that at the time.

As jojojo, Bayern Munchen and Javi Martinez said before, no-one pays taxes on transfers. Things can got a bit complicated and ugly though. Considering that there are only two days until the transfer window closes, I'm afraid we won't sing him if Athletic aren't willing to negotiate.
Yes, I think this only happens if Athletic really want the cash. It's possible they will go for it. But then no time for them to get a new player in.

Yes, I think this only happens if Athletic really want the cash. It's possible they will go for it. But then no time for them to get a new player in.

Yep. I think we should have tried this a lot earlier. Martinez's transfer lasted for a couple of weeks IIRC.

Am I right in thinking Martinez paid his buyout clause but Bayern didn't pay any tax? Athletic didn't make it easy for them and it took weeks, but it still went through. Surely the precedent has now been set and we can just do the same on Monday?

Am I right in thinking Martinez paid his buyout clause but Bayern didn't pay any tax? Athletic didn't make it easy for them and it took weeks, but it still went through. Surely the precedent has now been set and we can just do the same on Monday?

Transfers only move quickly if all parties are compliant, Herrera won't force his way out and Atleti don't have to sell. Don't think this will happen.

We've left it way too late to do what looks to be a deal that's a bit complicated. Another nail in a dreadfully idiotic summer.

We've left it way too late to do what looks to be a deal that's a bit complicated. Another nail in a dreadfully idiotic summer.
Not left it way too late on purpose, you don't bid four days before the transfer window closes. Panic buy.

The key word there is precedent. Like any sensible company though we'll have to get tax and contract lawyers to certify that the deal is done correctly and indemnities are in place against any change of attitude by the tax authorities.

It is just a matter of words but lawyers and tax offices aren't always the speediest people to deal with and because the implications of a mistake run into the tens of millions we would have to see the i's dotted and the t's crossed.

So, as I said earlier, unless we've already done the groundwork, actually using the release clause in the legal sense on Monday would be near impossible. Hopefully we have done the groundwork though and it's just a matter of entering the names, dates and numbers into the appropriate boxes.

Because lawyers like to make things easy.
:devil:

Transfers only move quickly if all parties are compliant, Herrera won't force his way out and Atleti don't have to sell. Don't think this will happen.
I'm not sure if all-round compliance is necessarily what's required.

As long as Athletic aren't cnuts about it, they could still handle the transfer professionally, despite not being pleased.

I assume that is why Bayern paid above Thiago's clause? I never paid any attention to that at the time.

They paid the clause + inflation since the contract was signed. The same as Real Madrid did on Illarramendi when they sprung his clause in the official way.

Actual release clause deals are incredibly rare which is why using them isn't easy - there's no standard paperwork.

They paid the clause + inflation since the contract was signed. The same as Real Madrid did on Illarramendi when they sprung his clause in the official way.

Actual release clause deals are incredibly rare which is why using them isn't easy - there's no standard paperwork.

:cool: Cheers.

This player comes across as very grounded and tranquil in interviews. He may not be someone who even fancies a move to England and a super club.

I think if he has any real ambition he will make this move. He is a very talented young player, no other big clubs are currently in for him. As we have heard all summer, it is 'World Cup year', and a move to United and CL football will put him in with a chance. He's not an international now, but he isn't far off the next in line.

Surely he can't go the rest of his career playing mid-table football.

I think if he has any real ambition he will make this move. He is a very talented young player, no other big clubs are currently in for him. As we have heard all summer, it is 'World Cup year', and a move to United and CL football will put him in with a chance. He's not an international now, but he isn't far off the next in line.

Surely he can't go the rest of his career playing mid-table football.

Agreed. Barca/Madrid don't seem interested either.

Agreed. Barca/Madrid don't seem interested either.

Generally players from Athletic dont go to other Spanish clubs, in fact it used to be that very few ever left at all - that does seem to be changing but more likely they will move abroad

Also worth noting that Bilbao never really need the money as there is a very small amount of players they can ever spend it on

Quite honestly, Herrera looks a decent player but if he's going to cost £30m I would much rather we keep the money and let Cleverley, Anderson, Powell, Jones, maybe even Kagawa and Valencia have at it in central midfield. De Rossi would be good but that isn't going to happen. We might get Fellaini who to me is far from a perfect signing but would definitely improve us and would get some goals.

Also, while some might dress it up, the club definitely did feck up in not trusting/investing enough in Pogba early enough. While he wasn't doing great in the ressies, and his agent was a tw*t, he clearly had a lot of talent and we should have given him some more games and a bigger offer. Once you have one of the biggest talents in the world in the position you most need one, you don't let him go that easily.

Too many are discounting the allure of playing for your local club in Basque country

Really? Too many? Is that the feeling you get looking around this place? Can't say I agree at all. In fact, no one has even mentioned it being easy luring him away from Bilbao. When I look around this place all I see is people given up on us signing anyone at this point (expect iSparky and his crusade on bringing Ronaldo back :lol:).

Another thing is I believe Herrera and Rio are personal friends in some sort of capacity. I remember seeing them tweeting each other about a year ago, mentioning how they had a good time hanging out in Spain or something. I specifically remember Rio saying he was an excellent player too, or something like that.

Doubt this information is particularly useful but I thought I'd share it anyway.

Too many are discounting the allure of playing for your local club in Basque country

The allure of playing for Man United, becoming a household name globally and trebling your wages shouldn't be underestimated either.

Can we just hold our hands up at being too indecisive, throw caution to the wind and send several Woodward clones in helicopters across Europe with briefcases full of cash?

Another thing is I believe Herrera and Rio are personal friends in some sort of capacity. I remember seeing them tweeting each other about a year ago, mentioning how they had a good time hanging out in Spain or something. I specifically remember Rio saying he was an excellent player too, or something like that.

Doubt this information is particularly useful but I thought I'd share it anyway.

Hanging out together is a pretty exaggerated way to describe what happened. Christ.

The price for 'Yes' is probably around that 36 millions.

It feels that it's all up to United, right now as Bilbao didn't state he's not for sale..

Hanging out together is a pretty exaggerated way to describe what happened. Christ.

'or something' ... Whatever it was, they were together in their private time, and seemingly not accidentally. They also felt it appropriate to tweet about it.

Besides, I can't remember the tweets properly, but you seem to so perhaps you should share.

I don't think anyone has done that - the pessimism in this thread and post-Thiago threads has come from the lack of transfer activity going on. This has easily been our most disappointing (summer) transfer window in years. I am, however, encouraged by the fact we've been linked with Fellaini, De Rossi, and Herrera. I'd love it if we could get Herrera, who is easily one of the best midfielders outside Barcelona and Real Madrid. For a player of his age, his positional sense is impressive, plus he's very good technically. Still, I don't think we'll sign him, but I'm more than certain that we'll sign a midfielder before the window shuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.