Ander Herrera is a Manchester United Player!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you ever want us to sign anyone?

Yeah he wanted us to sign Barry and Parker earlier in the window, he also compared Huddlestone to Xavi. He's been on a massive wum all summer. The only thing surprising about that post is the use of the word 'happy', his usual choice of word for not wanting a player is 'delighted'

I've just read the Bilbao manager's comments - it's sounds as though something could be afoot. Using words like "turmoil" would suggest Herrera is, at the least, stopping to think about this potential move.

Kevin is relentless. He has lost his tag line, though. It was quite accurate.

I've just read the Bilbao manager's comments - it's sounds as though something could be afoot. Using words like "turmoil" would suggest Herrera is, at the least, stopping to think about this potential move.

Where are these comments mate?

Where are these comments mate?

"I know that there has been turmoil in Ander. He is ready to play. Whether he plays or not is another question."
"Ander has not refused to play at the Bernabeu. Nor has he told me that he wants to go to United"
"To play in Herrera's situation is not a usual situation. I talked to him and he is able to play."
"The big teams are always accustomed to changes of players. They know it is the environment in which they live"

Sounds promising, tbh

Kevin is relentless. He has lost his tag line, though. It was quite accurate.

I think he's bought into the myth that the premier league is the best league around and is so hard to play in. He takes "premier league proven" too seriously. That's why his dream targets are the likes of Gareth Barry and Fellaini :lol:

Another fecking father.

Not really that difficult though. Pack clothes, and get Adidas to mail your fecking boots. Job done ffs.

The comments won't have been made off the cuff, they'll be in response to specific questions. Until we know what the questions are, it'll be open to interpretation (and prejudice).

If Athletic Club Bilbao fans have any say in the future of Ander Herrera then he isn't going anywhere. According to regional Basque newspaper El Correo over 70% of fans don't think that the player should be sold, even for an offer over €30m. It's a unique situation in Bilbao, Athletic only picks players who are Basque or who have Basque roots so they don't work in an open market. A Basque player is worth considerably more because he's so much harder to replace, it's not a case of simply going out and buying a new one.

The youth system at the club was boosted financially after the sale of Javi Martinez to Bayern Munich and their new stadium has just been completed, things are looking good for the future but they need a good season and selling their best players just before the transfer window closes doesn't quite fit with that. It's hard enough for Manchester United to find a midfielder with just two days left but if a caveat of him having to be Mancunian was thrown in then it would be even more difficult. This is the problem Athletic Club face and why they are always a bit touchy about selling those they'd rather keep. And that's without bringing the stubbornness of Basque people into the equation.

El Correo reports comments from club president Josh Urrutia who said on Saturday "Ander, so far, has not told us he wants to leave."
The 'so far' may be a chink of light for Manchester United because the same newspaper, and they appear well informed on their local club, say that coach Ernesto Valverde has taken an extra player on the trip to Real Madrid for Sunday's game. El Correo insinuate that this could have something to do with the possibility of Herrera being withdrawn from the group and not playing, this was put to the coach who said that the midfielder had not withdrawn from the group but also commented "I'll talk with him. Then we'll see, but I understand that he is able to play."

The stance does appear to be softening slightly but whether Herrera plays tomorrow or not may not be the ultimate clue. The game kicks off at noon and there's no reason why he couldn't appear in that and still transfer to Manchester United, other than the danger of getting injured.

Herrera will be unlikely to force a move but if the club are happy with the sale and think they can re-invest the money in future transfer windows then he may not have to. Urrutia will probably want him to at least say he'd like the move so it takes some of the blame away from the club if they are to sell him, especially with the majority of fans being against the idea of a sale.

Herrera got a good reception at training this morning and was mobbed by fans afterwards who wanted photographs taking with him. He's not getting the abuse which was directed at Fernando Llorente because he's not trying to force a move. If Herrera does end up at Old Trafford then he'll want the transfer to be as smooth as possible meaning he doesn't end up hated. Indeed, for it to happen in the first place Athletic Club Bilbao need to be totally happy, if they are not they can use tax to kill the chances of a deal happening.

One of the comments in Friday's club statement from Urrutia was telling: "For a player to go, first the player must express his desire to leave the club and pay the release clause."

That clearly sounds like Herrera would have to pay the clause himself which is the only way to actually force a move through. Manchester United would have to deposit enough in his account so that he was left with €36m to buy himself out, with the tax rates in Spain regionally that would work out at almost double, so over €70m. They could also add IVA, which would add around €7m to the figure Manchester United would have to pay.

The softening of the words from Athletic Club will be welcome and the suggestion from the local newspaper and the club's manager that there's something going on (having to check he's able to play, taking an extra player to Madrid) will give cause for optimism. Manchester United will probably be tip-toeing around Urrutia's pride right now and a bid of just over the buyout clause could help smooth things along.
Follow us on Twitter @Sport_Witness

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/...ven-hope-on-herrera-as-athletic-club-soften-t

http://futbol.as.com/futbol/2013/08/31/primera/1377948246_894053.html

There's one interesting line:
No voy a negar que la situación de Herrera puede tener alguna relación con que vayan 19.

I am not going to deny that the Herrera situation could have something to do with bringing 19 players in the squad.

In what context did his father say it was difficult? Everyone seems to be assuming he's saying that it will be difficult for the transfer to go through, is it possible he is saying leaving would be a difficult decision for Herrera? Setting up the inevitable "I love Bilbao and the fans are the best in the world, but Manchester United were too good to turn down" if the move goes through.

In what context did his father say it was difficult? Everyone seems to be assuming he's saying that it will be difficult for the transfer to go through, is it possible he is saying leaving would be a difficult decision for Herrera? Setting up the inevitable "I love Bilbao and the fans are the best in the world, but Manchester United were too good to turn down" if the move goes through.

yeah that's the impression I'm getting as well.

That clearly sounds like Herrera would have to pay the clause himself which is the only way to actually force a move through. Manchester United would have to deposit enough in his account so that he was left with €36m to buy himself out, with the tax rates in Spain regionally that would work out at almost double, so over €70m. They could also add IVA, which would add around €7m to the figure Manchester United would have to pay.
If that's true, then we should steer clear of that clusterfeck of a deal.

This player comes across as very grounded and tranquil in interviews. He may not be someone who even fancies a move to England and a super club.

I don't think they can expect us to pay 70 million euros. Never going to happen.

As jojojo, Bayern Munchen and Javi Martinez said before, no-one pays taxes on transfers. Things can got a bit complicated and ugly though. Considering that there are only two days until the transfer window closes, I'm afraid we won't sing him if Athletic aren't willing to negotiate.

Status
Not open for further replies.