Ander Herrera is a Manchester United Player!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like he might be ready to move - hopefully we'll just get this transfer done now. Him and Fellaini and I'd be a happy muppet after months of disappointment (transfer wise) since July 1st.

Seems like a pretty desperate bid. Promising player but not sure he's THAT good.

One thing I do hope this summer shows is that it is genuinely hard to get players who will really improve us.

Why? He isn't even that good. Would you prefer him over Fabregas for example?
Of course Fabregas would have been the ultimate dream midfield signing. Still would have liked to see him and Fellaini both in our midfield though. Alas, it was not to be.

Thanks, I know the release clause business, but Bayern for example did not have to pay the taxes for Martinez IIRC.

I posted this in the twitter thread during the Thiago incident:
Statute of the FIFA Article 17.2 comes into action which paves way for Bayern in their capture. The article states that the buyout clause must be paid by the player and his new club together and there is no obligation on the new club and respective player to pay taxation monies.

The transaction is exempt from VAT following the precedent set by Ronaldo’s transfer to Real Madrid 10 years ago. Liga de Futbol Profesional has it in good accord that binding the specified payment of the clause; clubs are exempt from this tax as it is considered compensatory in nature.

On the other hand, the proceedings are exempt from income tax depending on FIFA’s Article on Players' Status. Bayern together with the player will make payment of the clause, and hence, it will be a transaction between two clubs, two legal entities.

Since there is no individual involved, no income tax will be levied on the whole deal. The personal income tax applies only to individuals and therefore it is inapplicable in the current scenario.
This FIFA rule allows a player & club to jointly pay off the clause fee, which then results in the transfer being exempt from Tax or VAT - that's how Bayern got Martinez and how the Herrera deal would work.

I doubt Herrera is particularly desperate to leave his club. I am also not sure we would want to pay more than we have bid.

Why the feck didn't we just buy Javi Martinez from them last year instead? Same club, same deal, same age, same position, better player.

Why the feck didn't we just buy Javi Martinez from them last year instead? Same club, same deal, same age, same position, better player.

I would have got them both to be honest and sorted the CM for good.

Are you that sure he'd have picked us over Bayern? For all we know we sounded him out and he wasn't interested.

I posted this in the twitter thread during the Thiago incident:

This FIFA rule allows a player & club to jointly pay off the clause fee, which then results in the transfer being exempt from Tax or VAT - that's how Bayern got Martinez and how the Herrera deal would work.

I'd agree with all that.

The biggest issue for the club in using a release clause is that they will have to ask sports and tax lawyers to confirm the exact ruling and the wording of the contracts, and they'll want an indemnity in case of legal/tax office challenge.

It took Munich about a month to get the formal statements in place. We're on the Friday before a Monday deadline :smirk:

So a deal for Fellaini is edging closer, could we be getting Herrera as well?

At least we know that COPE is the font of all truth now.

More complicated than that - it depends which show on Cope and which reporter. Cope's a big group. It's like the difference between Sky and Barclay, Hunter, Balague etc.

I'd agree with all that.

The biggest issue for the club in using a release clause is that they will have to ask sports and tax lawyers to confirm the exact ruling and the wording of the contracts, and they'll want an indemnity in case of legal/tax office challenge.

It took Munich about a month to get the formal statements in place. We're on the Friday before a Monday deadline :smirk:

I thought that myself, surely to get all the formalities in place for a deal like that we just haven't got enough time. Our only option is to put a transfer bid in and not go down the clause route in my opinion!

You wonder if Moyes is now getting annoyed that all these bids are coming out. We never knew what bids were made in previous years. Now was that because it was Sir Alex and other clubs were such awe of him they kept things quiet.? It is like clubs are deliberately trying to make us look cheap and penny pinching. Why are they now being so open?

So a deal for Fellaini is edging closer, could we be getting Herrera as well?

I've said this for a while but Fellaini was always coming, Moyes said way back he wanted two CM signings, one to play defensive (Fel) and one to use as a creative mid who can also score goals. Fabregas was our first option for the latter, now it seems we've targeted Herrera for that position... it just took a hell of a long time to do it.

I'd agree with all that.

Unless, maybe, we knew Herrera was a potential target and had the lawyers sussing things out well in advance? Might be hopelessly optimistic to think we were that well prepared but you never know...

You wonder if Moyes is now getting annoyed that all these bids are coming out. We never knew what bids were made in previous years. Now was that because it was Sir Alex and other clubs were such awe of him they kept things quiet.? It is like clubs are deliberately trying to make us look cheap and penny pinching. Why are they now being so open?
Maybe it's not Moyes' fault. Maybe it's Woodward's secretary's fault. She forgot to use the bid template from Gill's time with a little fine-print disclosure on the bottom "This bid is not for public consumption. Violators will be castrated."

Worth noting we were the ones who made the Fabregas stuff public. And there have been plenty of times in the past under SAF where our interest was made public (Hazard and Lucas just last season).

I'm actually reasonably certain we can get this done.

Athletic can't sign a replacement anyway, so it doesn't really matter when they sell him. Just meet his release clause and get him on a plane, then sort out the tax issue after the window shuts.

We have bid £25m and his release fee is £30m, why £5m short?

to be fair maybe we think 25m is more than generous. we're not squabbling over 5m we're squabbling over paying 30 million pounds for a young player that maybe we dont think is worth becoming our most expensive ever signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.