Ander Herrera is a Manchester United Player!

Status
Not open for further replies.
the athletic ceo(or whatever) has confirmed that a bid was made. he has not named the club who made the bid. can we still assume that a bid from us for herrera has been confirmed?

Am I right in thinking that Bibao have only sold one player for money in the last 3 years and that was Javi Martinez for £40m... other then that, they seem happy to just let people run down their contracts... (see Llorente) so basically, it seems like they're hardballing feckers and we'd be unlikely to get this fella in unless we pay well over the odds. (release clause + extra bollocks on top).

If Barcelona accepted a bid then Fabregas might have left. It's obviously conjecture but then so is saying that he would never entertain leaving the club, both can't be proved.

It could be bullshit, but the media were saying that Fabregas wanted assurances that he would be a first choice player for Barca and if they decided to sell him and wouldn't give those assurances then he could have left.

It's all conjecture, and nobody knows for sure what went on, but the criticism of UNited's making various bids I don't understand. The allegation seems to be that if they'd bid a huge sum of money and Barca couldnt turn it down that would have changed Fabregas' outlook - which I cant understand, especially as he has ultimately seemingly received the assurances he was looking for.

The transfer took the ordinary course that most eventually succesful transfers take, and the club did what a sensible buying club do in trying to get a player as cheaply as possible. He arguably wasnt a key player at Barca, maybe wasnt happy about that and £35 million is an awful lot of money.

Clearly, with new people in charge, United didn't want to make themselves look like mugs by piling in with a massive bid - because it sets the tone of what goes in the future, and I can understand that.

They were seemingly prepared to pay more than £35 million but the player obviously poured cold water on it - so I dont see what relevance the initial bid has.

Thiago - fail
Cesc x2- fail
Baines x3 - fail
Fellaini x2 - fail
Herrera - fail
De Rossi - fail

feck sake, Woody. You're useless.

Look... its a bit like dating ... you cant always sleep with the first girl you meet especially when you look like ol Woody!

No, I got your point. You're saying he didnt want to move at all. Am saying he was ready to move if we could convince barca to sell but wasnt ready to throw his toys out of the pram and force a move which was to be expected given the history of him and the club. Us making 35mil bids meant we never got to a stage where barca would agree and it'd be upto the player to decide.

Based on what?

Agreeing a fee would have made a huge difference. Cesc himself said back in May he would never leave Barca unless they want to. If they accepted a bid then that would clearly indicate they're ok with him leaving.

Not neccessarily - and I dont think it would ever be that simple. Every player has his price - a daft offer might be accepted, but they still might want to keep the player. One doesnt follow the other.

Based on his interview... :lol:

That's not in any interview I've read. What he said was he wanted assurances over his first team future, which is not the same as saying you want a move.

Infact, he seemed to be very careful not to say he wanted a move - any suggestion he did seemed to be nothing more than speculation.

We've probably been scouting him since Athletic smashed us two seasons ago and he was one of their best players in fairness. It's likely that it was just a case that Fabregas was our preferred Spanish target and Herrera was the backup plan if/when it didn't happen.

Why isn't he a player we need?

And I'm sure we know everything to know about Herrera. He's been heralded as a very talented player for quite long. Tore us apart a couple of seasons ago as well.

It was just a general remark not lined to Herrera. I've never actually seen him play except at OT. I'd forgotten he existed.

Can't say I'm too keen on breaking our transfer record on a player so far outside the top bracket of midfielders, but needs must if we want to improve the weakest area of the team.

Our transfer record is only £30m. This is 2013. You will need to double that amount to get anywhere near the 'top bracket' of midfielders. £31m should not be expected to get you one of the world's best, at 24 years old, unless there is a contractual loophole.

Marta Bausells has been in contact and translated the tweets from the Athletic Bilbao account regarding that bid for Ander Herrera. Thank you Marta! I think it is important to point out that the tweets don't name United or the reported bid, €30m, but it is understood (I love that term) that it is indeed United and that the bid was indeed €30m.
Here are the translated tweets, from oldest to newest.
"There's an offer for @anderherrera8”
"Our club is different, it's based on feelings. Our goal is not to make money"
"We got the bid last night, and we have already communicated that we do not negotiate for our players"
"In order for a player to leave, first the player has to voice his desire to abandon the Club and deposit the clause"
"For us Athletic is a unique Club. Players have to feel it this way"

That's not in any interview I've read. What he said was he wanted assurances over his first team future, which is not the same as saying you want a move.

He said at the start of the summer than the only way he'd leave is if Barca accepted a bid. Therefore, if we actually offered a decent bid for him and Barca accepted, he'd be willing to listen to the offer. We didn't ever test Barcas resolve because we never produced a decent bid for him, we offered a very low and perhaps one could say, insulting bid for him.

Either way it's all history now and we'll never know what would have happened had we offered 45-50m for him. This conversation should also be in a different thread.

This pretty much confirms we were in for Thiago for me anyway. Thiago would have cost less money, is younger and the better player.

""There's an offer for @anderherrera8”
"We got the bid last night, and we have already communicated that we do not negotiate for our players"
"In order for a player to leave, first the player has to voice his desire to abandon the Club and deposit the clause"

http://www.theguardian.com/football...news-latest-bale-fellaini-baines-eriksen-live

He said at the start of the summer than the only way he'd leave is if Barca accepted a bid. Therefore, if we actually offered a decent bid for him and Barca accepted, he'd be willing to listen to the offer. We didn't ever test Barcas resolve because we never produced a decent bid for him, we offered a very low and perhaps one could say, insulting bid for him.

Either way it's all history now and we'll never know what would have happened had we offered 45-50m for him. This conversation should also be in a different thread.

He never said that IIRC.

""There's an offer for @anderherrera8”

http://www.theguardian.com/football...news-latest-bale-fellaini-baines-eriksen-live

Yeah...

Basically making all this public means "We are definitely interested in your monies and you can have the player. Just pay the clause"

Marta Bausells has been in contact and translated the tweets from the Athletic Bilbao account regarding that bid for Ander Herrera. Thank you Marta! I think it is important to point out that the tweets don't name United or the reported bid, €30m, but it is understood (I love that term) that it is indeed United and that the bid was indeed €30m.
Here are the translated tweets, from oldest to newest.
"There's an offer for @anderherrera8”
What does "deposit the clause" mean? Are they expecting Herrera to pay the fee himself and incur the added income tax?

Athletic Bilbao president president Josu Urrutia claims to have rejected a 30million euros (£26m) bid for midfielder Ander Herrera from Manchester United.
by simon.wilkes2 3:29 PM

What does "deposit the clause" mean? Are they expecting Herrera to pay the fee himself and incur the added income tax?

It seems so. Like Bayern did with Martinez. We need Bayern's lawyers ASAP.

THATS NEW THANKS FOR THAT SCORPY X

I posted it because we're mentioned in there, unlike the other bullshits about the bid for him. Sky are saying it like the bid is confirmed to be from us.

edit: now they changed it to ''believed to be from Manchester United''. Sneeky bastards.

Just the way it's been translated. It just means pay the €36m

Thiago - fail
Cesc x2- fail
Baines x3 - fail
Fellaini x2 - fail
Herrera - fail
De Rossi - fail

feck sake, Woody. You're useless.

I'd say that shows we're not willing to pay market rate rather than him being useless. We could have had most of those players if we wants to pay the asking prices

I keep on reading how our bid or deal for Thiago failed. Is it just me or did we never bid for Thiago?
We didn't. By most accounts Moyes was offered a chance to place a bid but declined it. There wasn't really a chance of us bidding and not having the bid instantly accepted seeing as his release clause was crazy low - unless Woody decided to offer £10m.

I keep on reading how our bid or deal for Thiago failed. Is it just me or did we never bid for Thiago?

He said we never spoke to him, don't know if we made any contact with Barcelona though. The deal was never close, regardless of the bullshit from Sport and ESPN.

You're right.

We had a word with his dad and got told "no dice". We never got anywhere near talking to Barca or his actual agent.

We didn't. By most accounts Moyes was offered a chance to place a bid but declined it. There wasn't really a chance of us bidding and not having the bid instantly accepted seeing as his release clause was crazy low - unless Woody decided to offer £10m.
He said we never spoke to him, don't know if we made any contact with Barcelona though. The deal was never close, regardless of the bullshit from Sport and ESPN.

Yeah, the last I read, it said Moyes had concerns about how he'd adapt etc...yet I keep on reading about how we apparently "failed" to land Thiago here on the Caf etc. :wenger:

I'd rather think we made a bid to sign Thiago at 20m and failed than not trying to sign him because Moyes thought he wasn't good enough for the premier league, especially now we've decided to bid 30m on Herrera three days before the window shuts. The former scenario is a lot more comforting and is much better for my blood pressure.

We've never made a BID for Thiago because it was never the issue. It was about agreeing a deal with the player and the player deciding to join us. Triggering the release clause was the easy part. Whether Thiago chose Bayern or we were never in the races... Who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.