Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
2010-08-30u2102.jpg

--------DDG

Rafael---Smalling---Jones---Evra (Shaw?)

---------Carrick-----Herrera

-------------Mata

Nani----------RVP-------Rooney(new winger, maybe Alexis?)

That helps, but still overall fails because Carrick can not close the ball down. We need a ball winner. Herrara helps, but this is why I want De Jong or Strootman.

Made my day!! Fantastic news, all
is forgiven Mr Woodward. Now go and sign a top quality central defender or two, a left back, a world class winger, oh and another more defence minded CM!

Seriously though, this lad looks quality. Really pleased.

What sort of input did Van Gaal have in this transfer ? Just wondering because he was a target last year.

Only thing that worries me here is that last year we signed a guy who hadn't been playing regularly in CM and stuck him there. He's not looked at home, despite CM being his supposed natural position. We could do without Herrera taking a while to adjust.
I don't think you should be worried in anyway....Comparing Herrera to Fellaini is like comparing Xabi Alonso to Djemba Djemba

Anyways this is absolutely wonderful news. It's the first time in ages that we've signed a highly rated talent for a position that we badly need fresh blood in

With 2 full years of scouting and the endorsement of SAF & LVG, we must have acquired a genuine high potential player.

If Fellaini or Cleverly play to their full potential, I don't think we need another midfielder next season. We can then aim to acquire a fit a healthy Strootman in January and phase out Michael Carrick. That allows us to then acquire another genuine world class midfielder next summer (Kroos, Gundogan, Pogba or Vidal) with the promise of Champions League football.

A central midfield stock of Herrera, Strootman, Vidal and Cleverly/Fellaini would be as good as any across elite Europe.

Lots of ifs and buts in this, but I think its somewhere close to our plan.

Vidal, Hummel, Shaw, Sanchez
Then we go for title and not CL spot.
Keep dreaming.....

I know the transfer was in an advanced stage but it was a pleasant surprise to see the confirmation on the clubs website just now. Especially after seeing on the BBC website Athletic had rejected our bid despite us meeting the release clause from him.

Only thing that worries me here is that last year we signed a guy who hadn't been playing regularly in CM and stuck him there. He's not looked at home, despite CM being his supposed natural position. We could do without Herrera taking a while to adjust.
Completely different situation as a year ago we signed a target man who never showed any qualities that would make him seem like a good player for United. Herrera played as an attacking midfielder a decent amount last season but is still mainly a central midfielder, very energetic and excellent technically, which is something our midfield lacks. I've got no doubt that he'll be a success.

I don't think you should be worried in anyway....Comparing Herrera to Fellaini is like comparing Xabi Alonso to Djemba Djemba

Anyways this is absolutely wonderful news. It's the first time in ages that we've signed a highly rated talent for a position that we badly need fresh blood in
Nah, it's a fair comparison. Both midfielders who ended up playing further up for a while, as it suited their teams needs. Very different players but there could well be the same issues of getting the positional awareness/discipline back.

Touch wood, Herrera stays fit, so he can settle in. Really didn't help our elbow wielding Belgian that not only did we sign him on deadline day but he then had injury problems. Looking nice at this world cup, as it happens. Fair bit better than the Djemba twins ever looked.

Completely different situation as a year ago we signed a target man who never showed any qualities that would make him seem like a good player for United. Herrera played as an attacking midfielder a decent amount last season but is still mainly a central midfielder, very energetic and excellent technically, which is something our midfield lacks. I've got no doubt that he'll be a success.
He played more in attacking midfield for Everton in his final season than he did right up top, didn't he?

This is a fine day for football in general and a damn fine day to be a United fan, hope he works out for us and I am sure he will. I am off to steam the word "son" off the back off one of my united tops.

Status
Not open for further replies.