Amadou Onana | Ornstein: Villa agree ~50m deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't watch Ugarte enough to make any meaningful comparison, but I've been impressed by Onana both in the league and during the tournament. In this poor Belgium side he was surely one of the more committed and energetic players, great in tackling, good in passing and positioning, worked a lot. Passes the eye test for me, a tidy player.

That's just not true. You've just latched onto a lazy stereotype.
No, I made my own judgments from watching him play numerous times as my partner is an Everton fan. So been unfortunate enough to watch the majority of their games.

Majority of Evertonians I know are indifferent about him leaving, which with the limited midfield they have speaks volumes.

No, I made my own judgments from watching him play numerous times as my partner is an Everton fan. So been unfortunate enough to watch the majority of their games.

Majority of Evertonians I know are indifferent about him leaving, which with the limited midfield they have speaks volumes.

The reason for that is because he's shackled in our style of play with Dyche but he's still displayed his technical qualities for us, with a lot of good progression in his play that should have led to goals but for poor finishing. They're not happy for him to leave because he's crap, more so because he's not a Dyche player and he's a sellable asset. Better for him to go an reinvest in the squad which is incredibly thin.

When he plays for Belgium it's quite clear how good he is technically.

I'd take either Onana or Ugarte. The best thing about Casemiro during his six months or whatever it was of being good was not the 'oh, he's surprisingly involved in our buildup play' part, which was just a nice bonus. It was finally having a defensive midfielder who shielded the back four and made tackles. Both Onana and Ugarte do that.

Given the choice, I'd take Ugarte because I think he's better on the ball. As someone who likes having Wan Bissaka in our squad, I don't think I could take the immediate backlash on here when everyone realised Onana is the Wan Bissaka of DMs - freakishly good tackler, superb athlete, great team player, has a mad dribble or two in his locker, technically limited, poor passer of the ball under pressure.

Ugarte's limitations are in what he doesn't do, not what he does poorly. His passing completion is high because he just doesn't take on risky passes. Combine with Martinez behind, Mainoo alongside and Bruno ahead and that certainly shouldn't be a problem.

I''ve not seen loads of him, but for the bulk of his Everton career he's been very underwhelming.

I wouldn't have him anywhere near one of the best DM's in the league based on anything i've seen.

For Belgium - hard to say. Some good glimpses but overall he looks like a car crash type of player. All running no brain. We need footballers, not clueless running for no reason. Work smarter, not harder.

He doesnt improve us

He had an exceptional tournament. One of the best midfielders and was tasked with doing a lot of leg work for the team. I think he showed exactly why Everton fans rate him and think he would be better in a different side to us. We shackle him with the way we play.
Agreed, at Everton under Dyche all your players in the deeper phase from the GK to the deeper midfield have to release the ball quickly because he (Dyche) doesn't look to build play through the thirds via keeping possession, but rather he wants to get the ball up the pitch quickly. And Onana is your player who takes the least amount of time on the ball before releasing the pass and he's followed by Branthwaite. It gives you a indication of what Dyche wants from his players and he doesn't want them to hold on to possession in the deeper areas of the pitch.

Ugarte isn't a bad player and would do okay as a high energy terrier type of player but Onana is just better in pretty much everything. And the stats below are from Onana playing under Dyche and Ugarte at PSG, those stats I believe will improve further for Onana in a team that plays a more controlled game in comparison to what we see at Everton under Dyche. Belgium in the Euros is a good example of that.

Last edited:
Reading all the posts Adnan has posted here, I'm really looking forward to us signing him this summer. But are we even remotely linked with him so far?

:(

This guy is the one we should be going for, not Ugarte.

Also, why are Everton selling him for a fair price, but want 70m for Branthwaite?

Because he has actively been flirting to leave since he joined us and he's not a key player for Dyche and his style. He will do well at Villa.

I thought he was going to go to someone a bit bigger than Villa if I'm honest but it's good that he is and we can reinvest in the squad.

Shows the disrespect many clubs like to show us. They are retrieving little to nothing when you consider his book value but yet they are prepared to turn down £45m of full profit.

Because he has actively been flirting to leave since he joined us and he's not a key player for Dyche and his style. He will do well at Villa.
You happy with the price? I would have thought he’d be worth more to you guys seeing as how much you paid for him and the sell on clause.
I’d be very worried with how Everton spend the money, being strongly linked to Jesper Linstrom, he is absolutely awful. No goals or assists all last season. When Napoli are willing to let a player go after one season, that should tell you all you need to know. You guys have been linked with some terrible players.

Luiz is a big loss but signing Onana and Maatsen (on paper) are some nice deals.

:(

This guy is the one we should be going for, not Ugarte.

Also, why are Everton selling him for a fair price, but want 70m for Branthwaite?

There is not much between them level wise, i still would rather take Ugarte.

Stats wise he looks good, but he doesnt impress in games. Euros are the best example, i dont think he was particularly great or bad, decent. But everyone was raving, i dont see it. He is not the standout player for Everton or Belgium whenever i watched them.

Villa building a very good squad. I think he'd have been a decent partner for Mainoo.

You happy with the price? I would have thought he’d be worth more to you guys seeing as how much you paid for him and the sell on clause.
I’d be very worried with how Everton spend the money, being strongly linked to Jesper Linstrom, he is absolutely awful. No goals or assists all last season. When Napoli are willing to let a player go after one season, that should tell you all you need to know. You guys have been linked with some terrible players.

Would have liked close to 60m, but if it means we are able to keep Branthwaite and reinvest in the wider squad then it's a move that needs to be made.

I think that completely removes context of his season at Napoli. He had 759 minutes in total over the whole season. Most of his game time was limited to spells of less than 30 minutes on the pitch. He did well at Frankfurt and he's still only 24. I think we are trying to make signings that have shown potential and need a bit of spark added back into them. Both he and Ndiaye showed good potential before their last summer moves and I imagine we feel like we can unlock it with a bit of Dyche magic.

Would have liked close to 60m, but if it means we are able to keep Branthwaite and reinvest in the wider squad then it's a move that needs to be made.

I think that completely removes context of his season at Napoli. He had 759 minutes in total over the whole season. Most of his game time was limited to spells of less than 30 minutes on the pitch. He did well at Frankfurt and he's still only 24. I think we are trying to make signings that have shown potential and need a bit of spark added back into them. Both he and Ndiaye showed good potential before their last summer moves and I imagine we feel like we can unlock it with a bit of Dyche magic.
Hope your right, have a soft spot for Everton due to family members being massive evertonians. I just think when money is as tight as it is at Everton, spending money on lads who seem to be stuck in a rut mightn’t be the smartest thing in the world. Surely you’d be better off trusting you scouts and finding some young gems in Scandinavia, Russia, Croatia, Belgium or even the Dutch league. Easier said than done I know. I just worry that you guys are gonna sign a lot of flops. And for me, both he and Ndiaye are going to be massive flops. Just my opinion, hope
I’m wrong. And defo agree with ya that Onana could have/should have fetched closer to £60-65m

Hope your right, have a soft spot for Everton due to family members being massive evertonians. I just think when money is as tight as it is at Everton, spending money on lads who seem to be stuck in a rut mightn’t be the smartest thing in the world. Surely you’d be better off trusting you scouts and finding some young gems in Scandinavia, Russia, Croatia, Belgium or even the Dutch league. Easier said than done I know. I just worry that you guys are gonna sign a lot of flops. And for me, both he and Ndiaye are going to be massive flops. Just my opinion, hope
I’m wrong. And defo agree with ya that Onana could have/should have fetched closer to £60-65m

Well we tried to sign Minteh and Philogene but DCL turned down Newcastle so the first deal fell apart and Villa activated their clause with Philogene so that did too. I think we are targeting the right profile of players.

Sensible fee...might be a sign of the times with money being tight.

Over £50 million signings should be reserved for a select few.

Anyway, Villa doing things right and United could take heed of it. We set a value, they matched it and there was no fannying about.

bite

Well we tried to sign Minteh and Philogene but DCL turned down Newcastle so the first deal fell apart and Villa activated their clause with Philogene so that did too. I think we are targeting the right profile of players.
True true. Be nice to see a few highly rated youngsters in the starting 11. I see DCL is linked to the Toon again this morning. Hopefully it’s a good summer for you guys and ye stay well away from relegation this coming season and get back to where ye belong sooner than later.
Maybe a Harry Maguire, Lindelof McTominay and Antony summer transfer window could help ;) ,

True true. Be nice to see a few highly rated youngsters in the starting 11. I see DCL is linked to the Toon again this morning. Hopefully it’s a good summer for you guys and ye stay well away from relegation this coming season and get back to where ye belong sooner than later.
Maybe a Harry Maguire, Lindelof McTominay and Antony summer transfer window could help ;) ,

Aye, I just want to build on last season. Having a deduction free season and finishing around 14th to 10th would be decent progress.

A bit surprised Everton arent asking for more due to how much they signed him for. Thought it would be like with Lukaku

Silly money. Also means they are even less of a position to need to sell Branthwaite. Good sale for Everton, I'd rather Ugarte for 15m less.

premier league swingers club in full flow now.

Status
Not open for further replies.