Amadou Onana | Ornstein: Villa agree ~50m deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
First two, no due to their age. Antony, no thank you ever. McT would be a good Dyche signing but probably too expensive.

But you'd take him as part exchange? Lets say we come in for Onana or go back in for Branthwaite with McTominay in exchange. How much of a fee on top?

Maybe Ugarte isn't it, but I really don't think this was the big money midfield signing we needed honestly. I think he'll be great for the style and system at Villa, but that is not us and won't be us.

Looking forward to the future beyond Bruno, I'd hope we aspire to retaining the ball better.

But you'd take him as part exchange? Lets say we come in for Onana or go back in for Branthwaite with McTominay in exchange. How much of a fee on top?

I think if this deal goes through then we can forget about Branthwaite. Everton would hold out for the £75m they supposedly want, and I can't see United paying that.

Would’ve liked him at United. Oh well.

We were never really seriously linked with him though, maybe because we wanted Branthwaite? Might also be just that we don't see him as the right profile of midfielder.

Feels like a downgrade on Douglas Luiz for more money.

Basically Tielemans is Luiz replacement. We gave him a year to settle in and get used to our style and he was fantastic in the run in so grew into the role. Barkley is then relatively cheap backup for rotation and McGinn can also drop back into that area.

Tielemans and Onana as the duo for Belgium were excellent v England in March so that's probably some of the thinking, amazed Tedesco didn't start them in the pivot this summer.

That said I've generally been underwhelmed by Onana when watching Everton, never seems he impacts in their games like Gana does at DM and Doucoure can in the attacking role when Dycheball is clicking. Interesting what @SilentWitness thinks on that as he wasn't even starting some of the crucial matches back end of last season.

He's had two years of regular prem football and still very young so we're banking on it all clicking in next 3 years I imagine.

Basically Tielemans is Luiz replacement. We gave him a year to settle in and get used to our style and he was fantastic in the run in so grew into the role. Barkley is then relatively cheap backup for rotation and McGinn can also drop back into that area.

Tielemans and Onana as the duo for Belgium were excellent v England in March so that's probably some of the thinking, amazed Tedesco didn't start them in the pivot this summer.

That said I've generally been underwhelmed by Onana when watching Everton, never seems he impacts in their games like Gana does at DM and Doucoure can in the attacking role when Dycheball is clicking. Interesting what @SilentWitness thinks on that as he wasn't even starting some of the crucial matches back end of last season.

He's had two years of regular prem football and still very young so we're banking on it all clicking in next 3 years I imagine.

Dycheball isn't made for Onana. He's someone that you want on the ball driving with it or progressing with it because he's technically astute despite what his size and physique may tell you whereas Dyche plays a percentage style of football which aims to get the ball from back to front as quick as possible. He's also an elite ball winner but I think Villa will get more than we could out of him in respect to his technical abilities. He still showed glimpses of his enormous potential here and there but I think we trusted Gana more at the end of the season because he was both in form and did exactly what Dyche wanted from him. If you utilise him in the way Belgium do then he'll be great.

Another very good signing for Villa. They really mean business and I don't think we're finishing ahead of them this season.

Wow how did they get him for 50m? Surprised Everton weren't valuing him using Frenkie De Jong numbers.

Feel like villa are on their way to becoming 115 FC soon too.

Last edited:
We have Mainoo, so I'm not fussed about this at all.

Onana is a pure destroyer. This post makes no sense. Mainoo and Onana are different profiles and can play in the same team ideally.

Hopefully we get Ugarte in which case missing Onana is fine, though they're similar levels anyway from what I've seen

Onana is a pure destroyer. This post makes no sense. Mainoo and Onana are different profiles and can play in the same team ideally.
Not really in terms of pure destroyer. Onana is criminally underrated technically.

Hopefully we get Ugarte in which case missing Onana is fine, though they're similar levels anyway from what I've seen
Ugarte has the higher ceiling. Someone posted on the Ugarte thread that he was a DLP in his younger days in Uruguay and it was a suprise that when he came to Europe he became a midfielder destroyer in the Kante mould.

Onana isn't a pure destroyer, at all. He has a very good pass and is technically much better than a lot of people on here think.

If you want ever wonder how much the Glazers fecked United, we’re trying to restructure payments for transfers that cost the same amount as we were paying for players 20 years ago. Villa have already spent 150 million this summer despite struggling with PSR last season.

If you want ever wonder how much the Glazers fecked United, we’re trying to restructure payments for transfers that cost the same amount as we were paying for players 20 years ago. Villa have already spent 150 million this summer despite struggling with PSR last season.
Ultimately the Glazers but just ridiculously bad decison making for the money spent from everyone involved over the last 10+ years.

It's finally all caught up with us and teams like Villa have been able to go past us with better squad building.

Shows the disrespect many clubs like to show us. They are retrieving little to nothing when you consider his book value but yet they are prepared to turn down £45m of full profit.

Shows how people like to make anything up to feel aggrieved. They bought him for 30 million two seasons ago and just sold him for 50, they're making 30+ million on his book value.

Ultimately the Glazers but just ridiculously bad decison making for the money spent from everyone involved over the last 10+ years.

It's finally all caught up with us and teams like Villa have been able to go past us with better squad building.
Yeah that’s what I’m blaming on the Glazers. Wasting a billion on players and doing nothing to improve the club in any way, putting us in the position we’re in now.

He played super defensively and close to a “destroyer” in Everton, but prior to that and also now at Euros he’s shown he has much more to his game than this. I think it’s a very good deal for Villa

Onana isnt like that at all. He's a passer who likes to have a run forward.

He's tall and he's physically built so he's well suited on paper to playing as a DM but how he actually plays, and seems to want to play, that role restricts him as he likes to use the ball and to get forward

Garner was more of a "destroyer" for Everton last season doing most of the ball winning and not doing a lot with the ball. And Gueye when he was picked.

I think people are sleeping on Onana because of his physical build. He's a lot better on the ball than people think but for Everton he isn't being asked to do anything more than be a typical destroyer. He'll see a lot more of the ball in a team like Villa so we will see. 50 mil is probably about right for a player of his ability. Worse case he is only the destroyer that some think he is and Villa have gotten themselves one of the best in the game at that role. If he can win the ball and distribute it quickly to playmakers he'll return value just fine.

People are really excited about Ugarte but Onana is pretty similar in terms of player type. Ugarte is a little more elite at the defensive side of the game and his passing his better, but that's also coming from a much better team in a much worse league, so its hard to really compare.

He will be great for them, but so was Douglas Luiz. Two very good midfielders that would have been perfect for us. Hopefully we get Ugarte now.

I’ve liked him since that recent TikTok “my name’s not even Andre mate” hilarious

Good he's moving to Villa, we were never close to signing him but all the hype in the cafe made be a bit nervous we would be dumb enough to go for him.

Physically he's impressive, covers ground, he's fast, tall and strong. He's a destroyer and can be really good in a proper set up.

Now after saying this, if we're going to compete for top titles just being a destroyer is not good enough. We need ability on the ball, I mean I'm not asking for Bruno level's of creativity but we need press resistant players that can carry the ball and make some passes.

Looking at all the great teams in the last year's, besides Liverpool, they'd all had a world class midfield. Of course you need good defense and attack as well, but the midfield is the key. A poor midfield leaves your defense exposed and that attack on starvation.

There's a reason why Madrid even when under domination, like the matches against city, always keep themselves in games. It's because their midfield allows them to counter properly, to keep the ball and let their defense breathe.

Ultimately we need a CDM like Rodri, I know he's the ultimate CDM, but that should be the aim. One that can defend and has the quality to distribute the ball as well. It's the new mold for CDM, purely destroyers are not good enough anymore.

Will be great for villa, still adamant he won't suit us.

I wonder what you're basing "suiting" us on? Our current counter attack team or something that you assume we want to move towards that is different

He played in a 2 DM system last season at Everton so he could obviously play in our 4-2-3-1 and he can get his legs moving at a decent pace so he could perhaps keep up with our counters to provide extra support. He would obviously provide the midfield a physicality that we don't have even when Casemiro is playing in it and hes stronger than our other options. And he likes to pass the ball and whilst by no means being a pass master or particularly creative hes very comfortable finding teammates in decent positons with passing. With Everton having 2nd least amount of the ball his stats for passing numbers arent high. At a team where they have most off the ball he'll be able to keep it moving and find more passes and similarly pick out a couple of teammates with good passes between the lines.

Villa averaged 12.7% more of the ball than Everton and 7th most in the league so if he does make the move to them I think we'll see that he can pass the ball as well as making tackles and sometimes a dribble.

Status
Not open for further replies.