Alex Sandro

This seems kinda like the Griezmann thread.

No actual contemporary link, just wistful muppetry.

Bailly has been a rock when he has been playing. His composure with the ball is something our other CBs lack. Think he showed class right from the start in Premier League wich is really hard to do.
Bailly certainly hasn't been consistent. A large part of that is probably the regular injuries and also the ACON in his first season (he was already starting to look a bit shaky before that, but when he came back he was absolutely terrible for a month or so). But even the couple of times he's had a good run of games his form slowly drops off after a while.

His best form came when he first joined us. He had another good run late in his first year (although Rojo was better at the time) and another at the beginning of last year (although Jones was better in the same period). Everywhere outside of those three periods he's either been injured, gone to the ACON, or had inconsistent form.

Probably best to calm down. All this based on an off the cuff comment in a podcast that Castles hasnt even bothered tweeting and literally no other journalist has said a word
This. United fans should be tired of being taken on a ride by journos. Remain hopeful but this saga is too similar to all the phantom sagas of years past

This. United fans should be tired of being taken on a ride by journos. Remain hopeful but this saga is too similar to all the phantom sagas of years past
Still one can hope. That's the signing I want the most :(

There has to be some truth to what Castles is saying though.

There’s just no way we go into a season starting a geriatric Young (converted winger) with backup from Shaw (who doesn’t play and is 250 lbs).

This would be so stupid. If it ends up happening at least I’ll be very relaxed about next season as we won’t be expected to win anything.

If we do sign Sandro or equivalent, and don't sign a RW as most expect, I think it is a clearer sign than ever than we may be moving to a 352

-----------------------DDG-------------------------
----------Bailly-----New CB------Lindelof----------
Dalot/Young----------Matic----------------Sandro
-----------------Fred---------Pogba-----------------
--------------Lukaku--------Sanchez---------------

Thoughts?
Never known United or Jose play wing backs and a back three in my time watching football. Can’t see it happening what happens to Lingard, Rashford, Martial etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
With Ronaldo signing for Juve they’ll need to balance the books somehow and it’s consistently reported Juve want £53 million for Sandro so can see this still happening.

With Ronaldo signing for Juve they’ll need to balance the books somehow and it’s consistently reported Juve want £53 million for Sandro so can see this still happening.
Yeah I think he is for sale, it's just the matter of paying up. I think we are haggling over the Darmian fee to try and lower the price tag a bit and I wouldn't be surprised if we already have an agreement with the player

Problem is with Luke Shaw digging his fat girl heels in and Ashley Young obviously staying where does Alex Sandro fit?

Luke Shaw is on a reported 70k a week, and Young's is 110k. So unless Sandro was to come in as one of our top earners, I don't think we'd be breaking the bank - especially if Darmian and Blind are shipped out. They're on a combined wage of 135k.

It's not ideal having those three for one spot, but given the trouble we've had with that area of the pitch the last few seasons, I'd rather have the options available.

Yes for a combined £400k's worth of wages, plus our six (hopefully seven) centre-back options, three right-back options. Even we can't afford to be that economically carefree with the defence.

We'd probably have to sell Shaw, although the problem there would be finding someone stupid enough to give us actual money for the useless fat fecker. West Ham would probably be our best bets.

Luke Shaw is on a reported 70k a week, and Young's is 110k. So unless Sandro was to come in as one of our top earners, I don't think we'd be breaking the bank - especially if Darmian and Blind are shipped out. They're on a combined wage of 135k.

It's not ideal having those three for one spot, but given the trouble we've had with that area of the pitch the last few seasons, I'd rather have the options available.
It's not just having three left backs, it's currently having 11 established defenders for 4 positions, plus we're hopefully signing another top centre back, plus I'm not including the likes of Fosu-Mensah and Tuanzebe. We can't just keep adding big earners to the roster.

It's not just having three left backs, it's currently having 11 established defenders for 4 positions, plus we're hopefully signing another top centre back, plus I'm not including the likes of Fosu-Mensah and Tuanzebe. We can't just keep adding big earners to the roster.

Fosu and Tuanzebe will more than likely be loaned out again, Darmian and Blind are all but gone. That leaves Dalot, Valencia, Jones, Smalling, Rojo, Bailly, Lindelof, Shaw and Young for 4 places before any more additions. 9 players covering the back 4 for a season which is likely to consist of 50/60 games is reasonable before you take into the injury records of Jones, Smalling, Rojo, Bailly and Shaw. Adding another 2 to that list sounds about right.

Fosu and Tuanzebe will more than likely be loaned out again, Darmian and Blind are all but gone. That leaves Dalot, Valencia, Jones, Smalling, Rojo, Bailly, Lindelof, Shaw and Young for 4 places before any more additions. 9 players covering the back 4 for a season which is likely to consist of 50/60 games is reasonable before you take into the injury records of Jones, Smalling, Rojo, Bailly and Shaw. Adding another 2 to that list sounds about right.
It's not about injury records, it's about 11 x wages. That's even accepting that Darmian and Blind are "all but gone" which seems far from the case at the moment.

Think about a World Cup squad, by your logic it should be about 35 strong.

Juventus will sell Rugani and Higuain to balance the books. Plus we already sold Mandragora for 20m and Cerri for 15. Pjaca is off to Fiorentina for 25m.

And also Kean to sell so there is not really need to sell

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not about injury records, it's about 11 x wages. That's even accepting that Darmian and Blind are "all but gone" which seems far from the case at the moment.

Think about a World Cup squad, by your logic it should be about 35 strong.

I think a squad of 30-odd is what most teams playing on various fronts operate with over the course of a season. I agree that we probably have a few too many faces in defence, but I don't think it's going to cause us the financial headache you're suggesting.

They are rumours that they will soon sell the fat Argentinian to Chelsea

This seems kinda like the Griezmann thread.

No actual contemporary link, just wistful muppetry.

Well, the AG thread last year was fully justified.
As far as I was concerned, it was a done deal. Then we found out, that he signed a new bumper contract with AM...which is what plenty of players have done (used us to get a new contract).
Then came January, when the young kids on this forum believed AG would join...he didn't.
Then came this Summer, when the same young kids who believed AG's previous reasons, still didn't get the message, which is why that thread was alive and was so very very long.

Now comes Sandro. I believe that there was some chatter about this transfer. But like the Perisic deal last season, we seem to be penny pinching and the selling club are not budging.

Juventus are going to pay Ronaldo 60m before taxes per year. Selling a couple of squad players isn't going to cut it. They need to revamp their squad for Ronaldo's arrival.

Sandro, Higauin and Mandzukic are all potential to leave. Higuain and Mandzukic are probably more likely because they play in a similar position. Dybala-Ronaldo as a front 2 is what they will use and it's very scary.

They are rumours that they will soon sell the fat Argentinian to Chelsea

Higuain’s agent/brother has already come out and said he doesn’t want to join Chelsea and wants to play with Ronaldo at Juve and to be fair the thought of having Dybala and Ronaldo either side of you up front and a realistic shot at the Champions League I don’t blame Higuain for not wanting to go to Chelsea.

A Darmian+cash swap for Sandro has always seemed a likely end game to me and if they're going to break the bank for Ronaldo it strengthens my belief that's where this is headed. No way do I believe Mourinho is going to be content heading into the season with 33 year old Young and Captain False Hope as his sole LB options again.

Higuain’s agent/brother has already come out and said he doesn’t want to join Chelsea and wants to play with Ronaldo at Juve and to be fair the thought of having Dybala and Ronaldo either side of you up front and a realistic shot at the Champions League I don’t blame Higuain for not wanting to go to Chelsea.

I have just seen that rumour

That's the problem with signing players on high salaries and whose at the wrong end of their career. They tend to stick to their last big pay cheque.

Juventus are going to pay Ronaldo 60m before taxes per year. Selling a couple of squad players isn't going to cut it. They need to revamp their squad for Ronaldo's arrival.

Sandro, Higauin and Mandzukic are all potential to leave. Higuain and Mandzukic are probably more likely because they play in a similar position. Dybala-Ronaldo as a front 2 is what they will use and it's very scary.

If Ronaldo indeed lands at Juventus. I think Sandro deal will be very hard to pull off. It will be a decision to make for him weather to play with Ronaldo on improved terms or to play with Sanchez on bigger terms with juventus having bigger opportunity to win Ucl than United.

If Ronaldo indeed lands at Juventus. I think Sandro deal will be very hard to pull off. It will be a decision to make for him weather to play with Ronaldo on improved terms or to play with Sanchez on bigger terms with juventus having bigger opportunity to win Ucl than United.
Maybe he wants a new challenge, maybe he's a fan of the PL, not to mention we can pay him more than Juve can
Also Juve are right now at a better place but if our new signings adapt quickly and our star players like Pogba and Sanchez show some consistency, United can challenge the top teams IMO

I have read that we agreed deal with Sandro but still have not agreed with Juve. Don't know what to believe.

Duncan Castles has a lot to answer to if this doesn't come off

He's not claimed we're signing him though, claims we've got an agreement with the player but finding it more difficult to negotiate with Juve who want quite a lot of money.

He's been consistent in saying that Sandro is our number one target, but we're not willing to pay the fee Juve want. If it doesn't come off, it'll still be in line with what he's saying. If we sign him, it'll also be in line, so it's a win-win for him I guess.

If we had an agreement with Sandro it would have been reported by all the journalists with a far better track record than Castles, like Di Marzio.