Alejandro Garnacho Argentina flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
He can play either side obviously and thats great for us because like he showed with his simple but well executed pass to put Rashford in, sometimes all you need is a right footed player on the right to put some good delivery into your forward player. I know ETH likes his inverted wingers but look at how simple that was compared to Amad getting it wrong with his ball across to Mount because his right foot was his weak foot. And then he showed he can come onto his left foot from the right and score a very nice goal.

I'll go with using him where it makes sense based on the game and how well hes playing during the game because quite clearly he's good on both sides and if the opponents have a weakness on one of the sides hes the player we want to be trying to exploit it. Not Rashford.

He has literally never played on the right until the last season of football including all his youth matches.

He has moved over to accommodate Rashford and done a decent job because the level of the team went up with both of them on the pitch over Antony (since Amad was mostly injured) and the left was slightly cursed last year since no support from full backs for most of it..

So what? He has now been playing at RW for the first team and has been doing very well there. Things like that get noticed. A player’s position is never set in stone, certainly not at such a young age, and if they play a particular position unexpectedly well then it increases the chances they’ll be utilized there more.

You see it all the time where youth players come through the system playing a particular position but then transition to other positions as their careers develop. Scholes was a striker at youth level and early in his professional career but dropped deeper as his career progressed. Bale was playing as a left back until he was around the same age as Garnacho is now. So the idea that he will definitely play at LW long term is not “obvious”.

So what? He has now been playing at RW for the first team and has been doing very well there. Things like that get noticed. A player’s position is never set in stone, certainly not at such a young age, and if they play a particular position unexpectedly well then it increases the chances they’ll be utilized there more.

You see it all the time where youth players come through the system playing a particular position but then transition to other positions as their careers develop. Scholes was a striker at youth level and early in his professional career but dropped deeper as his career progressed. Bale was playing as a left back until he was around the same age as Garnacho is now. So the idea that he will definitely play at LW long term is not “obvious”.

So it means that literally every coach that has worked with him to date has preferred him in that position, up to the point where he is the less senior professional who is accommodating a more senior professional by changing sides.

That is much different than Scholes, Bale etc who changed roles to better suit their skillsets

So it means that literally every coach that has worked with him to date has preferred him in that position, up to the point where he is the less senior professional who is accommodating a more senior professional by changing sides.

That is much different than Scholes, Bale etc who changed roles to better suit their skillsets
That’s just not accurate for Bale.

By your logic, every coach who worked with Bale got it wrong by playing him as a wing back. Also everyone got it wrong with C Ronaldo by playing him RW till he was 21 or 22z

Garnacho is playing well on both sides and the good thing for his development is to learn both. Ronaldo was a RW when he came to United but became one of the best LW in the world for 5 seasons in a row.

This happens all the time in football. Not sure why you seem surprised by it. A talented winger being played on both flanks over the course of their career is an incredibly normal thing. Right now his skillset looks just as well suited on the right, and so there’s a good chance he will play there a lot. Where he plays most often over the next ten years, who knows. It may very well depend on who else he’s playing with, exactly like it is now.

Yeah but his U15s coach played him on the left so he has to play there for the next fifteen years apparently.

:rolleyes:
No every coach has played him on the left because that's his best position and he's a star player. It's not until he's not been asked to play a more supportive role in a squad that he's moved to the right to accommodate senior pros

When he is the main man he will obviously play on the left where the team will be set up to get the most out of him because he is more of a direct goal threat.

:rolleyes:
No every coach has played him on the left because that's his best position and he's a star player. It's not until he's not been asked to play a more supportive role in a squad that he's moved to the right to accommodate senior pros

When he is the main man he will obviously play on the left where the team will be set up to get the most out of him because he is more of a direct goal threat.

The current coach of the Man Utd first team has decided one of his best positions in the Man Utd first team is RW. Lo and behold, he scored a goal coming off the RW today. You can pretend that where he played for youth coaches years ago has more relevance to his future than where he’s playing now in the first team, but I don’t think it’s a particular sound assumption.

You keep ignoring the fact that many, many players ended up playing different “best positions” in their pro career than they did in youth teams and earlier in their career. As the other poster pointed out, Ronaldo was a great example of that.

So you can keep telling yourself that he’ll obviously play LW long term. Maybe he will, maybe he won’t. My bet is he’ll spend time on both wings, because he’s already shown he can play at the top level on both wings.

The current coach of the Man Utd first team has decided one of his best positions in the Man Utd first team is RW. Lo and behold, he scored a goal coming off the RW today. You can pretend that where he played for youth coaches years ago has more relevance to his future than where he’s playing now in the first team, but I don’t think it’s a particular sound assumption.

You keep ignoring the fact that many, many players ended up playing different “best positions” in their pro career than they did in youth teams and earlier in their career. As the other poster pointed out, Ronaldo was a great example of that.

So you can keep telling yourself that he’ll obviously play LW long term. Maybe he will, maybe he won’t. My bet is he’ll spend time on both wings, because he’s already shown he can play at the top level on both wings.

Yes and a lot of players play out of position when they are establishing themselves.

He clearly wants to be a protagonist player and his position is on the left so expect him to force his way onto the left when he considers himself ready, or expect him to force his way to a club that will use him there.

He reminds me so much of Nani when he plays on the right. Like Nani, Garnacho possesses that same unpredictability, with the ability to take on defenders and go either side.

Yes and a lot of players play out of position when they are establishing themselves.

He clearly wants to be a protagonist player and his position is on the left so expect him to force his way onto the left when he considers himself ready, or expect him to force his way to a club that will use him there.
If, as what happened last season, he continues playing significantly better on the right then I doubt that.

People tend to forget that he started last season poorly. Other than having a higher workrate, he wasn't really any better than Rashford. That changed literally the game that ETH first started him on the right, and his performances over the rest of the season continued being better on the right. Now, he did still have a couple of good performances on the left in the second half of the season, but overall he was better on the right. And not just a little bit, but significantly.

I'm hoping that it was largely coincidence and that he will ultimately be just as good if not better on the left. I do want Garnacho and Amad to be our wingers going forward. But there's nothing 'clear and obvious' about it at all, and if anything at the moment it looks the less likely scenario.

If, as what happened last season, he continues playing significantly better on the right then I doubt that.

People tend to forget that he started last season poorly. Other than having a higher workrate, he wasn't really any better than Rashford. That changed literally the game that ETH first started him on the right, and his performances over the rest of the season continued being better on the right. Now, he did still have a couple of good performances on the left in the second half of the season, but overall he was better on the right. And not just a little bit, but significantly.

I'm hoping that it was largely coincidence and that he will ultimately be just as good if not better on the left. I do want Garnacho and Amad to be our wingers going forward. But there's nothing 'clear and obvious' about it at all, and if anything at the moment it looks the less likely scenario.

How about we judge our left side when we actually have a natural left back playing

Was Ronaldo “out of position” when he played RW earlier in his career? Or did he just happen to develop over the course of his career into also being a very effective left winger, and then CF?

What’s stopping Garnacho developing into an equally effective player on the right versus the left? He’s literally already doing it in the first team now.

If’s he starting and getting goals and assists for Utd on the RW you really think he’ll force his way out just so he can play exclusively on the left for a different team? What’s to say any new team won’t also recognise his utility on the right?

And I’m not saying his future career is on the right. I’m simply saying it’s not obvious that long term it’ll definitely be on the left. The first team evidence so far suggests he can be effective on both wings, and that he’ll play games on both wings.

He reminds me so much of Nani when he plays on the right. Like Nani, Garnacho possesses that same unpredictability, with the ability to take on defenders and go either side.
I see that comparison. He's arguably more consistent and less frustrating than Nani already. Although Nani on his day was world class.

Was Ronaldo “out of position” when he played RW earlier in his career? Or did he just happen to develop over the course of his career into also being a very effective left winger, and then CF?

What’s stopping Garnacho developing into an equally effective player on the right versus the left? He’s literally already doing it in the first team now.

If’s he starting and getting goals and assists for Utd on the RW you really think he’ll force his way out just so he can play exclusively on the left for a different team? What’s to say any new team won’t also recognise his utility on the right?

And I’m not saying his future career is on the right. I’m simply saying it’s not obvious that long term it’ll definitely be on the left. The first team evidence so far suggests he can be effective on both wings, and that he’ll play games on both wings.

Effective as a supporting team player and efficient utilisation of one of your main threats / senior players are two different things.

I think his touch and dribbling is below Nani, but with better end product.
I'd agree with that. I feel more confident that a counter attack with Garnacho will lead to a goal than I ever did with Nani. Garnacho's end product is ridiculously good for someone who has just turned 20.
Nani was much more consistent and less frustrating on the right himself. He was just unfortunate that he spent the majority of his career here being played on the left.
Obviously that Arsenal away game springs to mind when thinking of Nani's performances on the right, but I personally don't remember thinking there was a huge difference in his performance levels whenever he was on the right. I always thought his inconsistency was part of his game regardless of which wing he was on.

He's our rising superstar Argentinian and I couldn't be happier to say that. Really excited to see what he achieves this season.

Effective as a supporting team player and efficient utilisation of one of your main threats / senior players are two different things.

What are you on about? You’re not making any sense.

Did you not watch the game today? He was one of our main attacking threats from the right, and scored our only goal, from the right. Over the past year he’s shown himself to be just as effective, if not more effective from the right.

This arbitrary claim you’re trying to make that if he plays off the left he’s the main man and if he plays off the right then he’s just a supporting team player is nonsense.

I am getting all the shades and vibes of Cristiano's 2006-07 season with this boy, GO Garancho, world is yours!
I really wish ETH is bit sensible and play Amad/Garancho on wings instead of Rashford/Garancho.
With right number 6 who doesn't lose ball that much, I see exciting times because Zirkzee/Hojlund/Amad/Garancho all are technically sound.

What are you on about? You’re not making any sense.

Did you not watch the game today? He was one of our main attacking threats from the right, and scored our only goal, from the right. Over the past year he’s shown himself to be just as effective, if not more effective from the right.

This arbitrary claim you’re trying to make that if he plays off the left he’s the main man and if he plays off the right then he’s just a supporting team player is nonsense.

Ok buddy. I actually can't be arsed explaining my view on team structures, squad balance and replenishment, and integration of young players to you so we'll wait as see what happens to Garnacho when he outshines Rashford for long enough and constantly enough to step up in seniority.

I'd agree with that. I feel more confident that a counter attack with Garnacho will lead to a goal than I ever did with Nani. Garnacho's end product is ridiculously good for someone who has just turned 20.

Obviously that Arsenal away game springs to mind when thinking of Nani's performances on the right, but I personally don't remember thinking there was a huge difference in his performance levels whenever he was on the right. I always thought his inconsistency was part of his game regardless of which wing he was on.
The only time he was played consistently on the right was in 10/11, which was the season he should have won the Premier Leagues Player of the Season and was the main man in us winning the league. The rest of the time he was either played mostly on the left or it was more 50/50 where he was constantly moved from side to side.

Nani was equally capable of brilliance on either side, but his average level seemed much higher on the right.

Sat on the bench for pretty much the whole of the Copa America, no pre-season and came on to to perform like that. Not bad, not bad at all.

I'd like his new contract to include a 200m release clause.

What a performance! Moved with so much certainty and purpose. He and Amad will solve the right wing problem imo

I’m pretty confident he can get to WC levels. He’s not perfect technically, but his work rate and intensity are elite level, and once his game settles, I could see him getting knocking goals in for fun. He’s been a revelation since moving to the right.

Don't think we should worry about which wing he's better from: he's been pretty consistently strong from both. So let's continue to play him on both. It will maximise his game time - he's 20 now so for me past the point where you need to worry so much about overplaying. It will develop his versatility and make sure he remains a winger who can go both inside and out on either flank. And it means if ETH wants to keep playing Rashford (I think most on here would have Garnacho left and Amad right as clear first choice from our current options) then he still plays.

Man Utd 1:0 Fulham New
Missed a fecking sitter but him coming on changed the game. So much more threat than Amad tonight. Great low cross for the goal.