Aaron Wan-Bissaka | The Ornacle speaks: It is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why's that? Did you watch Alves against us? Much fitter than our full backs and still absolute quality.
Because he’s 35, he’s been playing in a team where you can turn up at 50% and still win.

Why would we go from a 32 year old to a 35:36 year old? It’s madness.

Because he’s 35, he’s been playing in a team where you can turn up at 50% and still win.

Why would we go from a 32 year old to a 35:36 year old? It’s madness.

Because we haven't had a world class full back since Evra left?

Because we haven't had a world class full back since Evra left?
He’s not world class anymore.

you really think He’s going to run his bollocks off and defend his heart out for us at that age?

He’s a party boy Brazilian ffs :lol: get off football manager

That is a fair opinion and I respect that. I see that he has a few very good «extreme» qualities. He also seems like a good guy. A down to earth professional. I love that. And hopefully he will develop.

What I dont like is that I think his decision making on the ball is poor. Decision making is really what football is all about. If you always make the right choice with and without the ball, that will take you fare. I also think he takes too little risk and tends to look clumpsy on the ball.

Many people use statistics in his favour, but I dont think tackles and interceptions is that important. A player that play for a team that has low possession numbers will probably make more tackles and interceptions.

And if you look further, some of his numbers is quite poor.

While you argue 3 assist aint bad (he did not have 4);

- AWB had 14 key passes. PVA, from their left back, had 38 key passes. Almost three times more.

- AWB had an expected assist of 2,29, PVA had 4,72.

Its the same with shots and chances;

- AWB had an expected goal of 0,37 this season. PVA had 2,81.

- AWB made 0,26 shots per 90 min. PVA made 1,26.

Which supports my understanding that he is not good at spotting opportunities, neither at creating or getting to chances. While PVA is good going forward, he is not exactly «Man Utd-good». But he is still a lot better than AWB at Palace.

Furthermore, his low attacking contribution imply low risk, his passing completion is poor compared to his team mates;

- 73 % completion rate compared to 79,8 % for the more attacking PVA (who plays more of his passes higher up the pitch and with more risk in general).

- The low risk is also supported by the fact that approx 58 % of his passes is backwards. (PVA is at 46 %.)

Could it be a result of their system? Hodgson give PVA more freedom? It could be. But why? If AWB is a gem with potential to play for a team with our history of playing attacking football, why do not Hodgson give him more freedom? And why does not the low risk-game he play results in higher completion rates? To me, it look like he plays with lower risk because he is aware of his limits. I admire that. But it does not make him a Man Utd player.

There is a few other numbers that worry too. For instance Crystal Palace concede significantly more shots and goals from his side of the pitch.

While he could improve greatly and come on in leaps and bounds for a better team as he grows older, I doubt it. Based on what I have seen from his use/handling of the ball, his decision making, movement in the final third and passing, I really doubt it. I think he looks very limited.

And yes, I think he looks inferior to all those players you listed. Certainly TAA, Walker, Cancelo (who City will sign), Azpi and Bellerin. I also think Pereira looks better.

And while Doherty is not as good at defending, I think he would be a better player for us. I would have prefered AWB if I was the manager for Burnley, Palace, Newcastle or Brighton, but for Man Utd I would prefer a player with the qualities of Doherty. Probably even Trippier (who I do not rate at all).

You make some good Points here - but its hard to compare Patrick Van Aanholt whose main strength is attack, while AWBs main strength is defense. PVA was involved in about 160 duels and won about 90 of them. AWB was involved in 450 duels and won 300. PVA won only 50% of his tackles - AWB won 70%. PVA had 22 successful 50/50, while AWB had 75. So basically PVA is a player who doesn't go into duels while AWB does. Furthermore PVA was only involved in about 20 aerial battles - AWB was involved in over 90.

But some of the low attacking numbers can be explained by the defensive numbers. If you look at a typical Palace-game, AWB clears a lot of balls - some of it due to his positioning which will get better by experience, but also by the fact that he attacks the ball much more than PVA does. PVA never wins the ball ball for his team - AWB does it several times for Palace in each game, which in turns create chances for Palace.

And as for why he is being held back by Palace. Naturally I don't know if he is. It would be natural for an inexperienced player to play safety first - and once he feels more established he will venture further forward. And as you said - it could be a result of Hodgson deciding that he wants AWB to stay back because he trusts PVA more going forward, or that he trusts AWB more defensively. Both would make sense.

You are not convinced by AWB - I am. Hopefully we will know soon enough if you or I was correct, Have a wonderful day mate :)

He’s not world class anymore.

you really think He’s going to run his bollocks off and defend his heart out for us at that age?

He’s a party boy Brazilian ffs :lol: get off football manager

Like I said, we played them twice this season. He ran his bollocks off and defended his heart out. If you're good enough you're old enough and all that.

Not signed yet. How much longer will it take. All we hear is 48 hours.

He's playing in the U21 Euros. He can't possibly sign until he's done a medical anyway. Clearly we can't even agree the fee yet either.

He is not the money worth. I don’t understand why we spend so much time on the transfers. We have given 2-3 offers at least. We should stop being playing around by teams because we have so much money and because everyone know we are desperate. I’ve tried to look at alternatives and Zeki Celik from Lille is a very good alternative which I am sure we can get for about 30m euros. He is strongest defensively (like AWB) but contrary AWB he has better contributions going forward (1 goal and 6 assists in League 1). He is 21 years old and has many years in front of him. Let us close this deal and show the world that we don’t want to pay the world because we are desperate. Let us build the team with young players we can buy at reasonable prices and take smaller steps towards the future

Alves would sign for United for like 10m per year and not give a feck. Probably go about putting in Young-esque performances while collecting another massive pay day before riding off to milk an American, Chinese, or Qatari club during his final stop gap, then riding off into the sunset having done practically nothing the last 4-6 years of his career except show up.

Woodward and the Glazers would love it though. More Instagram likes and no transfer fee.

Based on the fact he's world class and our wingers and full backs are mediocre at best.

He’s not a world class anymore. He’s just a 36 yo, played in much more suitable league to his fitness and already past it. He will ask crazy wages too, he won’t be able to perform week in week out in tougher league at his age.

Never learn with schweinsteiger & Sanchez?

He’s not a world class anymore. He’s just a 36 yo, played in much more suitable league to his fitness and already past it. He will ask crazy wages too, he won’t be able to perform week in week out in tougher league at his age.

Never learn with schweinsteiger & Sanchez?

He doesn't need to perform week in and week out. He needs to see us not get embarrassed and exposed in big games. Just because some players are over the hill when they hit 30 doesn't mean they all are. Zlatan, Blanc and Larsson were all good signings for us even if they were past their best.

He doesn't need to perform week in and week out. He needs to see us not get embarrassed and exposed in big games. Just because some players are over the hill when they hit 30 doesn't mean they all are. Zlatan, Blanc and Larsson were all good signings for us even if they were past their best.

You expected we should go for him if we can’t sign bissaka. Our right back need to almost perform week in week out.

You expected we should go for him if we can’t sign bissaka. Our right back need to almost perform week in week out.

No they need to do it once a week, maybe twice from time to time. It's not like we don't have anyone who can do a job there, we've got them coming out of our ears, we need someone who is quality in the big games. I wouldn't be against signing 2 full backs anyway, especially if they're versatile.

According to Simon Jones in the Daily Fail, United are on the verge of signing Wan-Bissaka for around 42.5 million pounds with some additional money. If that's true it's a shot in the arm, just what this club needs.

Of course the DF are making a big drama about his own goal but it's just background noise. I am thrilled if it's true - we have signed what could turn out to be 'The New Rio Ferdinand' although Rio had more experience when he joined us and was further along in his career.

I hope to God the report is true - if it is this is the first piece of good news we have had for some time.

It'd be the worst move since we bought Blanc in at that age and watched him roasted by the league's sprinters.

And then watched him turn Wesley Brown into a proper defender as well as score several important goals in our league title win.

An actual real life winner and world class player in our team, complete madness.

And then watched him turn Wesley Brown into a proper defender as well as score several important goals in our league title win.

An actual real life winner and world class player in our team, complete madness.
You could be describing a load of players we’ve bought recently. There’s little you can do for a past it player.

Last edited:

Yeah, he was a resounding success wasn't he.

Let's go and bring Alves in :lol:

To be fair, we’re averaging a month per signing at the moment if this one goes ahead by end of June. Squeeze in a midfielder for July and we will be sorted for the season. Not.

To be fair, we’re averaging a month per signing at the moment if this one goes ahead by end of June. Squeeze in a midfielder for July and we will be sorted for the season. Not.
Then a CB for August. A striker for September. A second CB for October. A second midfielder in November. If only the transfer window was 5 months long.

Alves would sign for United for like 10m per year and not give a feck. Probably go about putting in Young-esque performances while collecting another massive pay day before riding off to milk an American, Chinese, or Qatari club during his final stop gap, then riding off into the sunset having done practically nothing the last 4-6 years of his career except show up.

Woodward and the Glazers would love it though. More Instagram likes and no transfer fee.

:lol::lol:

A bit like the ending of the film Shane.

I like the idea of signing him and the investment would be worth it (depending on how we structure the deal) but my worry is that we won't have an adequate RW/RF in front of him and the fans will start blaming him for not dominating the flank straight away, considering the huge price tag as well.

Some people joke about the "Brexit FC" but in reality won't the UK leaving the EU actually affect some of the rules about homegrown players, visas and all that, making the signing of AWB even more valuable? I'm a bit clueless in that part as I haven't been looking into those specifics in a long time, so my apologies if the topic has been covered already - only remember that there are very definitive rules about registering players due to playing Football Manager years ago. :nervous:

We should get Alves and Buffon in. Just because they are old doesn't mean they don't want more money!

Status
Not open for further replies.