Aaron Wan-Bissaka | The Ornacle speaks: It is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course. Seems like there's no transfers between prem sides less than £35 mil these days! I just don't think you can compare the Walker to City transfer for the reasons I said.

Aye, agreed.

He's expensive and isn't great on the ball/going forward. This seems to be the biggest concern being raised.

See no problem with it tbh. You'd think he was like Smalling with the ball at this feet the way some are going on.

This is our RB sorted for a decade. It's a really positive transfer. I just hope the rest don't drag on as long as this one, because we can't afford not having the bulk of our business don't before our tour starts.
This is said so frequently that it’s lost all meaning, football rarely works like that.

That’s not true at all.

Pereira is good but docherty can’t defend.

We’re sighing the best defensive fullback in the league, his attacking isn’t as bad as people make out.

We won’t be asking him to run the RW by himself either.

The best defensive fullback in the league if you judge them on stats. But there is more to it than being good in 1v1s. His high record of tackles and interceptions is also due to being «targeted» alot and playing for a team that have little possession.

Overrated, overhyped, not good enough going forward. Some Palace fans are ensuring us that it wont be a problem, as apparently he used to be a winger. Being held back by Palace defensive system of play, even though van Aanholt is allowed to play as a attacking fullback.
Who exactly is overrating him ? I don't see us doing it . Neither does Palace fans.

People should be able to tell us alternate options if they don't agree with this signing. Tell us, what other options do we have now ? Its not like we have plenty of options and we are picking the worst one.

Nah. I said it before I saw that game. And my criteria (as listed in the OP) are clearly not drawn from one game.

Anyway like I said in the OP we shall see.

For me it is pretty obvious and to be honest, like so many things about the club these days, being right actually makes things worse.

When you say "better teams outplaying", as things stand that could be us vs.... City, Liverpool, Barca, PSG..?

At the end of the day we need a press-resistant team who can play proactively, progressively with confidence on the front foot against the very best teams.

AWB vs. City

Hoof timestamps:

0:09
0:14
1:01 - justified?
1:12

Excellent example of non-hoof

1:58

That inability to play rather than hoof is what cost us the first goal against Barca just this year, and has cost us many many times before.

When you "hoof" invariably you cede possession. Incessant hoof-ball leads to pressure building, which when playing against the better teams tends to lead to conceding.

Saying that, his speed, strength, tracking of runners, tackling, heading of the ball are all brilliant so he would be a good addition to the team (for the right price).

Can 100% see where the doubts come from. Control isn't tight and not very technical. Like Lukaku he'll have to be decent at what he does at his position to be worth the price and like Lukaku it might still not be enough because of the modern requirements of the position

He's expensive and isn't great on the ball/going forward. This seems to be the biggest concern being raised.

See no problem with it tbh. You'd think he was like Smalling with the ball at this feet the way some are going on.

This is our RB sorted for a decade. It's a really positive transfer. I just hope the rest don't drag on as long as this one, because we can't afford not having the bulk of our business don't before our tour starts.

I am confused when people say he is bad on the ball. How did they conclude he is bad on the ball? Palace plays very defensive and no one except Zaha gets a chance to show their attacking ability all the time.

So where is this theory coming from ?

Playing out from back is not based on one player. You need every player to be fairly competent on the ball to play it out from back.

AWB video against City proves feck all. Take a Robertson from Hull video and you will see worse hoofing.

I am confused when people say he is bad on the ball. How did they conclude he is bad on the ball? Palace plays very defensive and no one except Zaha gets a chance to show their attacking ability all the time.

So where is this theory coming from ?
Really not about system. You can categorise a player's technical ability easily. A player like Lukaku for example will always be Lukaku in a defensive or attacking system. You shouldn't even need more than a comprehensive compilation video of one match to spot red flags on his control. Equally Pogba, Messi, Mbappe will always be technical players under a Deschamps or Zidane.

Really not about system. You can categorise a player's technical ability easily. A player like Lukaku for example will always be Lukaku in a defensive or attacking system. You shouldn't even need more than a comprehensive compilation video of one match to spot red flags on his control. Equally Pogba, Messi, Mbappe will always be technical players under a Deschamps or Zidane.

Was the same with Robertson? How many games have you seen of AWB playing to his attacking abilities?

Playing out from back is not based on one player. You need every player to be fairly competent on the ball to play it out from back.

AWB video against City proves feck all. Take a Robertson from Hull video and you will see worse hoofing.

AWB either hoofs it or play it backwards to the central defender right next to him. 56 % of his passes this season where backwards. That is a lot.

Was the same with Robertson? How many games have you seen of AWB playing to his attacking abilities?
You read what I wrote right? You don't need to watch that much to spot poor controls, loose touches, loose dribbling and a basic lack of control in tight areas. Exactly how long did it take you to figure Lukaku wasn't the most technically gifted?

Who exactly is overrating him ? I don't see us doing it . Neither does Palace fans.

People should be able to tell us alternate options if they don't agree with this signing. Tell us, what other options do we have now ? Its not like we have plenty of options and we are picking the worst one.
If all you is looking for is one option, Max Aarons, don't know if Norwich would sell. andersj made a really good post on the subject:

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/max-aarons.448258/page-2#post-24263976

You read what I wrote right? You don't need to watch that much to spot poor controls, loose touches, loose dribbling and a basic lack of control in tight areas. Exactly how long did it take you to figure Lukaku wasn't the most technically gifted?
No, I didn't and it didn't make any sense. So basically you haven't watched him and basing your theory on some youtube videos.

Lukaku played a lot in epl for about 3-4 seasons and is a striker. So that comparison itself is off the mark

My concern is there will be an over reliance to do a lot of crosses again next season because of the lack of ideas from Ole just like we saw under Moyes, we have no decent right winger and there is no signs of us looking to sign one either, that puts the pressure on Bissaka to produce down that right side and if he doesn't the fans will get frustrated and considering his age it could hit him mentally to cope with the expectation and effect even his defensive side, we saw how much Shaw struggled at this club at first.

AWB either hoofs it or play it backwards to the central defender right next to him. 56 % of his passes this season where backwards. That is a lot.

Said it already - i can show Robertson at Hull doing more hoof passes . Means feck all with what he is doing at Palace. When he is asked to hoof it, he will do it.

No, I didn't and it didn't make any sense. So basically you haven't watched him and basing your theory on some youtube videos.

Lukaku played a lot in epl for about 3-4 seasons and is a striker. So that comparison itself is off the mark
Gatekeeping eh? You seem to have watched his every league game, how about you enlighten me on these aspects of his game (1) Close control (2) passing ability (3) composure when pressed

Gatekeeping eh? You seem to have watched his every league game, how about you enlighten me on these aspects of his game (1) Close control (2) passing ability (3) composure when pressed
When did I say that i have watched him ? It was you who said he always hoofs it or quite bad on the ball that too based on some youtube videos.

If all you is looking for is one option, Max Aarons, don't know if Norwich would sell. andersj made a really good post on the subject:

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/max-aarons.448258/page-2#post-24263976
You can’t really compare the 2.

One is playing for a mid / low palace team that counter attack’s. The other just stomped their league playing attacking football against weaker opposition. He won’t get that luxury in the premier league.

He’s also quite small for a full back.

Aaron’s isn’t going to cost less than 25m either, big risk.

Typically a player from Championship? I haven't watched him so no idea at all about Aarons. Atleast I would root for one of the best right back from epl above a top rb from championship. Its basic common sense.
Worked out for James Maddison, don't know why we should fear signing Championship players.

Said it already - i can show Robertson at Hull doing more hoof passes . Means feck all with what he is doing at Palace. When he is asked to hoof it, he will do it.

If we sign him, lets hope and pray (if you are religious) that the same happens witj AWB. But it rarely do. And it probably wont.

Typically a player from Championship? I haven't watched him so no idea at all about Aarons. Atleast I would root for one of the best right back from epl above a top rb from championship. Its basic common sense.

I probably would too in most cases. But I do bot ser one of the best right backs in the EPL and I certainly do not see one that will be suited to playing for a top team.

Like with Poker, in football some people see more than others and different people see different things.

As Lex Luthor (Gene Hackman) said "Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.".

It is possible that some people see AWB play and honestly think that he possesses good-to-excellent ball control, composure and short passing ability. You might see shades of Lukaku :eek:, while they on the other hand see Dani Alves reborn :wenger:. IMO there isn't much you can do about that sort of difference in basic perception other than wait for him to arrive here and then see what happens.

Come on mate. I’ve seen Robertson at Hull and AWB at Palace the difference in attack is clear even if we have one season to base it on. Robertson at Hull wasn’t as polished but he was showing signs of his attacking game.

Let me ask you this why do you think AWB is good in attack? I’ve seen him for England as well it isn’t really much different.

When did I say that i have watched him ? It was you who said he always hoofs it or quite bad on the ball that too based on some youtube videos.
So you really can't see he isnt great on the ball? Genuinely asking no sarcasm. You might want to wait for a larger sample size to conclude that which is fine, My opinion is that it's clear as daylight. I don't know how frequent he hoofs, he might make the most of the limited technique like Sissoko does but there's no mistaking those loose touches and control aren't typical in footballers who are good on the ball

Bizzare that this is taking so long. If Palace are playing hard ball, we should walk away and put our faith in Dalot, or go for that Norwich right back and move on to other targets. This is not Messi we are negotiating

Come on mate. I’ve seen Robertson at Hull and AWB at Palace the difference in attack is clear even if we have one season to base it on. Robertson at Hull wasn’t as polished but he was showing signs of his attacking game.

Let me ask you this why do you think AWB is good in attack? I’ve seen him for England as well it isn’t really much different.
Point is not about who is better though. I am saying I can show more hoof balls of Robertson than AWB. its all about how you are asked to play. Hodgson basically a defensive manager and doesn't take risks. So he is asked to hoof it.

No, I haven't watched AWB good enough to say he is good or bad and so, I am not making any claim on it either.

He's worth more than 27m now, despite a massive injury setback so he's the perfect example of a low risk signing.

You need to consider what we could get with that money when we bought Shaw (the most expensive fullback in the whole world), what he's contributed to our team, his wages we've paid, what we missed out on other player because we signed him, and what's the future of him in our team.

It's a simpleton of just using the probable selling price to consider as "low risk".

You can’t really compare the 2.

One is playing for a mid / low palace team that counter attack’s. The other just stomped their league playing attacking football against weaker opposition. He won’t get that luxury in the premier league.

He’s also quite small for a full back.

Aaron’s isn’t going to cost less than 25m either, big risk.
Pretty sure our plan is to stomp the league playing attacking football, but you can not do that with the wrong players. So the fact that Aarons got experiance doing that should be a good thing, if you ask me. But I have not actually watched Norwich play, so who knows.

Patrice Evra is 1,73 m, Aarons 1.78 m according to wikipedia, don't see the problem.

So you really can't see he isnt great on the ball? Genuinely asking no sarcasm. You might want to wait for a larger sample size to conclude that which is fine, My opinion is that it's clear as daylight. I don't know how frequent he hoofs, he might make the most of the limited technique like Sissoko does but there's no mistaking those loose touches and control aren't typical in footballers who are good on the ball

No, i havent watched him at all. But when people say he is bad on the ball without watching him doing any kind of attacks, its unfortunate.

Its not like we have lot of options either.

Bizzare that this is taking so long. If Palace are playing hard ball, we should walk away and put our faith in Dalot, or go for that Norwich right back and move on to other targets. This is not Messi we are negotiating

Palace are probably busy snapping up Arrans for 15m.

Point is not about who is better though. I am saying I can show more hoof balls of Robertson than AWB. its all about how you are asked to play. Hodgson basically a defensive manager and doesn't take risks. So he is asked to hoof it.

No, I haven't watched AWB good enough to say he is good or bad and so, I am not making any claim on it either.
Yeah you are right on that but in the same time a lot of people have watched AWB over the last year and I don’t think anyone can say he’s comfortable in his passing or on the ball. Obviously he’s still young but he isn’t the flair type of player who you would easily see even if you watch him for 10-15 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.