Aaron Wan-Bissaka | The Ornacle speaks: It is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still cant quite get my head around this signing at the prices being mentioned.

Once the "not Ashley Young" euphoria wears off I can see him being quite unpopular with supporters.

He left all the stars on the bench because he is a moron.

Ps how did ianis hagi played? He's valued just 8m. I heard very good things about him and if he's half as talented as daddy was then he would shit on all our players

Once the "not Ashley Young" euphoria wears off I can see him being quite unpopular with supporters.

Out of curiosity, why do you think he'll be unpopular? There's a big difference between "not a favorite" and unpopular, mind. I could see how he might not ever be beloved, but am having trouble understanding why a hard working, young, English lad with a pretty scant social media presence would be actively disliked by our supporters.

I don't know where i stand on this.

Part of me thinks it's a wise decision going for young talents from the same league. But I'm worried that we have people at the club that aren't confident enough in their judgement of talent that we're defaulting to the safest possible option. You mean to tell me there's not other top prospects in the position around the world? We're just going to be forced into paying whatever ridiculous fee a club demands because we haven't a clue what to do.

How could that possibly happen with so many stars in the team?

Their coach last club coaching job was Northampton where he was sacked when they were at the bottom. That should explain things.

Out of curiosity, why do you think he'll be unpopular? There's a big difference between "not a favorite" and unpopular, mind. I could see how he might not ever be beloved, but am having trouble understanding why a hard working, young, English lad with a pretty scant social media presence would be actively disliked by our supporters.

Modern supporters generally want excitement and attacking threat from full backs and will in a lot of cases take defending for granted. Shaw defends well but half the supporters still can't stand him because he doesn't offer enough in attack. Valencia used to get dogs abuse for his crossing. Even at CB the least attacking position on the team Smalling who defends pretty well for the most part is literally despised for not being stylish or expansive enough in possession.

Modern supporters generally want excitement and attacking threat from full backs and will in a lot of cases take defending for granted. Shaw defends well but half the supporters still can't stand him because he doesn't offer enough in attack. Valencia used to get dogs abuse for his crossing. Even at CB the least attacking position on the team Smalling who defends pretty well for the most part is literally despised for not being stylish or expansive enough in possession.

Fair enough. Maybe I don't hang out with the supporters that you do, but I haven't met anybody who can't stand Shaw because he doesn't offer enough in attack. I know people who feel that he doesn't possess the required quality for us, but they don't actively dislike him (as it seems you are implying with your description). Valencia was crap at crossing, but again, I wouldn't say any of the people I talk to actively turned on him until the last couple of years, when he really stopped being useful in defense and his offensive limitations became too much to make up for. I hope for AWB's sake that you're wrong, but could see that happening if that's the way the fanbase leans.

I really hope we do buy another couple of starters as well as Wan when it happens, as otherwise people won't half get after him if he starts slowly.

Fair enough. Maybe I don't hang out with the supporters that you do, but I haven't met anybody who can't stand Shaw because he doesn't offer enough in attack. I know people who feel that he doesn't possess the required quality for us, but they don't actively dislike him (as it seems you are implying with your description). Valencia was crap at crossing, but again, I wouldn't say any of the people I talk to actively turned on him until the last couple of years, when he really stopped being useful in defense and his offensive limitations became too much to make up for. I hope for AWB's sake that you're wrong, but could see that happening if that's the way the fanbase leans.

This is partly a commentary on modern football supporters tbf. Social media, entitlement etc.

Hopefully I'm completely wrong and he becomes a cult hero for being a take no prisoners defensive warrior like Brown or Heinze. Not being Ashley Young seems to be all supporters want at this very moment so he should start off in the good books. Learning to cross would be a big help though

This is partly a commentary on modern football supporters tbf. Social media, entitlement etc.

Hopefully I'm completely wrong and he becomes a cult hero for being a take no prisoners defensive warrior like Brown or Heinze. Not being Ashley Young seems to be all supporters want at this very moment so he should start off in the good books. Learning to cross would be a big help though

Totally agree on all points, particularly the bolded section.

We are getting rinsed. He is worth nowhere near the fees mentioned.

I wonder, would fans prefer the Glazers to get rinsed for two players and see a top CB and AWB at right back, or would they prefer the money in the owners pockets and Young, Jones and Smalling still being massive parts of our back line next season?

It's a genuine question, what say you @lewwoo ?

Nobody else will pay anywhere near that for him , unfortunately everyone knows how desperately we need a right back.

It's not just the defenders though, we were poor defensively as a collective. Think back to that 4-0 mauling by Everton our midfielders didn't exactly cover themselves in glory either, they were just as bad. We could have world class defenders but the end result would be the same if our midfielders let the other team waltz through and can't string more than 10 passes.
That day was all Magic's fault. Plus the type of weird results we got after our fitness hit a wall.

But before that, there is no doubt defence was killing us. Especially whilst JM was still at the helm. Ole's change of the pace of our football his or for a time. But once our fitness hit a wall. We reverted to type

He was being talked up all last season and suddenly people don't want him anymore? Probably the same people who didn't want Militao from Porto who are now bemoaning missing out on him because he went Madrid.

Imho this deal would shut down the right flank and Shaw will handle the left flank so we’d instantly concede less chances and ergo less goals. Throw in a rejuvenated DeGea and we could survive without adding a cb. Is it my choice? No. But if push comes to shove RB needs to be done first
I get where you are coming from. But the right flank problem isn't just right back. Its been the whole flank.

If James can solve that right winger/attacker issue. Plus we get a top right back. It will help. But we'd nerd like either Tuanzebe to seize his chance/ an injury free Smalling season/ a Rojo/Bailly rediscovering their form and fitness of our Europa Winning season to stand any chance of improving on our shambolic defending of last season.

This position is so key for our improvement hope AWB don't turn out to be a one season wonder like John O'Shea( One best season and rest average)

He had only 42 senior appearances so far and we have seen so many payers went quite after a successful Sassoon

I really want him to be successful and hope he got all it takes to become a consistent top right back for us for years to come.

I didn't see him much, what you guys think about his portential ?

It's taken over a month to get this transfer over the line and it's not done yet. What the feck is Woodward doing. He really drags out transfer dealings, with offers that he knows damn well, are not going to be accepted.

Will it be safe to say him as a right back version of Eric Bailly in his first season here where he had a good season?

It's taken over a month to get this transfer over the line and it's not done yet. What the feck is Woodward doing. He really drags out transfer dealings, with offers that he knows damn well, are not going to be accepted.

Next 48 hours :D.

Seem to get the impression we are the masters of fannying about. Am I wrong or do we never see the likes of Chelsea get involved in protracted transfers?

Nobody else will pay anywhere near that for him , unfortunately everyone knows how desperately we need a right back.
If nobody else will pay it then they wouldn't sell him. They're taking a risk in assuming they can reinvest the £45-50m to better improve the entirety of the squad. From their point of view, £30-40m isn't enough to replace what AWB brings + bolster other areas of the pitch.

They do though. All clubs do
That’s usually when multiple interested clubs are involved, though? This is pretty much a one horse race since no one else wants to match what we’re willing to pay.

That’s usually when multiple interested clubs are involved, though? This is pretty much a one horse race since no one else wants to match what we’re willing to pay.
Hazard by the looks of it only wanted Real and it still took a long time to conclude.

It happens at most clubs.

Hazard by the looks of it only wanted Real and it still took a long time to conclude.

It happens at most clubs.

Well I would argue the Hazard transfer was one of the most unique in decades with the transfer ban and the expiring contract.

Chelsea might have asked themselves plenty of delicate questions that don’t really apply to the AWB situation.

I’m sure there are other anecdotes that support your view, but I’m not sure it’s true that United isn’t involved in a lot of transfers that seem drawn out for no good reason. Fellaini comes to mind.

Last edited:
Did Maddison play? What about hagi? Did he play well?
Maddison started I thought he was poor , I thought Hagi was good and he scored. Henderson fecked up for a goal.

Still can’t understand the team selection.

Methinks we’re just gonna have to end up winging it with what we have. Yes this transfer may go down, but I don’t think there’s a clue or will to add resources unless somebody is dumb enough to take our overpaid, overrated or over the hill assets.

Sanchez (and his new found form, and I say this sarcastically) will stay, Lukaku will stay, Jones will stay, Matic will stay. Which means we will trot out there the same hapless, disjointed core of individuals who sputtered in mid table form past the finish line.

De Gea
AWB-Lindelof-Smalling-Shaw
Fred-McTominay-Pogba
Lukaku/James-Rashford-Martial/Sanchez

Unless there’s a complete reversal of attitude and commitment, I don’t see how this same core can attain what they already showed they’re most likely to turn up.

Months wasted thrashing out such an underwhelming signing. :rolleyes: Our transfer strategy this summer could have been designed by a Liverpool fan, it's been that bad.

It's like looking over at Liverpool under Roy signing the likes of Konchesky and Poulson.

Yeah, that's my point, it's a low risk signing as he will be worth more even if he doesn't progress much.

The price seems steep for a guy who isn't that impressive on the ball, but if he's a solid starting fullback who's a 9 defensively and a 7 going forward for the next 8 years, that's not a disaster.
-
If the club believes in Laird or Dalot, this is probably still bad value, but as we saw with the Fred and Darmian signings, it can be hard to plug in what should be obvious upgrades at problem positions. I'm sure after that Italy-England game I thought Darmian would do well here.

Status
Not open for further replies.