Aaron Wan-Bissaka | The Ornacle speaks: It is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this was suppose to be one of the easy ones to sort, god knows about trying to sign more high profile players. This transfer window is not looking good at all.

Months wasted thrashing out such an underwhelming signing. :rolleyes: Our transfer strategy this summer could have been designed by a Liverpool fan, it's been that bad.

It's like looking over at Liverpool under Roy signing the likes of Konchesky and Poulson.

They were 29 and 30. Wan-Bissaka isn't Marcelo on the ball, but you can't compare them. If we signed Daryl Janmaat (29, mid-table fullback, decent offensive player, not a great athlete similar to Konchesky) and Adrien Silva (29, higher rated before his last move like Poulsen) that would compare.

At least we're spending on youth with pace. Though both James and Wan-Bissaka seem like they might join our young forwards, Lingard and Smalling in being more comfortable when we're sitting back and defending and looking to counter rather than controlling play in possession, which seems like a bad sign.

Still cant quite get my head around this signing at the prices being mentioned.

Once the "not Ashley Young" euphoria wears off I can see him being quite unpopular with supporters.

Why. It is the clubs that decide the players fee as we are constantly told.
My bigger concern is whether he will be yet another signing who becomes over burdened by the level of expectations.

They were 29 and 30. Wan-Bissaka isn't Marcelo on the ball, but you can't compare them. If we signed Daryl Janmaat (29, mid-table fullback, decent offensive player, not a great athlete similar to Konchesky) and Adrien Silva (29, higher rated before his last move like Poulsen) that would compare.

At least we're spending on youth with pace. Though both James and Wan-Bissaka seem like they might join our young forwards, Lingard and Smalling in being more comfortable when we're sitting back and defending and looking to counter rather than controlling play in possession, which seems like a bad sign.

Don't understand the last paragraph.

Well I would argue the Hazard transfer was one of the most unique in decades with the transfer ban and the expiring contract.

Chelsea might have asked themselves plenty of delicate questions that don’t really apply to the AWB situation.

I’m sure there are other anecdotes that support your view, but I’m not sure it’s true that United isn’t involved in a lot of transfers that seem drawn out for no good reason. Fellaini comes to mind.
You follow the club you support closely and read all the rumours involving a possible transfer every day. You simply don't with other teams and don't really pay attention. It's that simple.

Why. It is the clubs that decide the players fee as we are constantly told.
My bigger concern is whether he will be yet another signing who becomes over burdened by the level of expectations.
Think he means because while he is a solid right back and strong defensively, hes very average on the ball and in attack (like Luke Shaw, which took years for people to find out hes actually just pretty "meh" and not just injuries holding him back.

Bit salty that mate, I am not sure what you want us to do exactly...accept less than we want for him to help out Man Utd?

I don’t know why people have a general difficulty understanding the concept that if a team has no desire to sell their best player, then the buying club will need to pay more than they would like for his services. It’s the same with Maguire and Diop, no-one is claiming their true value is £60m+, but that is what it’ll take to persuade Leicester and West Ham to sell. The good news is that no-one is forcing the buying club to pursue those players, they can just as easily walk away if they don’t want to pay it.

No doubt the same people complaining about this will be screaming for Utd to accept nothing less than £150m for Paul Pogba.
Excellent post.

I remember a time when United-fans thought every guy signing for us was a lot better than they were - now its the opposite. Once we are in for a guy he is crap :)

I remember a time when United-fans thought every guy signing for us was a lot better than they were - now its the opposite. Once we are in for a guy he is crap :)

Criminally underrating our own players too, and having goldfish like memories.
When I saw people saying Evans would be a better bet than our centre backs I was baffled. It's like they can't remember back a few seasons and remembering how shockingly poor he was, and the dogs abuse he got on here

Because we have a bunch of pissed off teenagers for fans on here.

Anyone complaining about being linked to a player like Aaron Wan-Bissake should look at the United-squad from 1986/87

Terry Gibson, John Sivebæk, ageing Kevin Moran, Frank Stapleton and Gordon Strachan, Peter Barnes, Peter Davenport, injury-plagued Remi Moses, Norman Whiteside, Bryan Robson and Paul McGrath, Graeme Hogg, Billy Garton, Chris Turner, Gary Walsh. We didn't have a single quality player who wasn't either past it or injury-plagued.

And people complain about a 21 year old where its being used against him that he is only rock-solid defensively :)

I do love on here everyone is bitching about AWB potentially signing. Back in Feb, March, April time we were all wetting ourselves at the chance of getting him for £40-45m.

Now we add ten on to that, which we know is the Man Utd tax, and suddenly everyone’s rating him as second-rate!

Anyone complaining about being linked to a player like Aaron Wan-Bissake should look at the United-squad from 1986/87

Terry Gibson, John Sivebæk, ageing Kevin Moran, Frank Stapleton and Gordon Strachan, Peter Barnes, Peter Davenport, injury-plagued Remi Moses, Norman Whiteside, Bryan Robson and Paul McGrath, Graeme Hogg, Billy Garton, Chris Turner, Gary Walsh. We didn't have a single quality player who wasn't either past it or injury-plagued.

And people complain about a 21 year old where its being used against him that he is only rock-solid defensively :)
Teenagers and people rate players based on Fifa and how they perform and stats on there sometimes I swear.

Motherfeckers expect the full package by the time someone is 20/21. And if he’s better than our current RB option + happy to play for us, them that’s an immediate improvement no matter which way you slice it.

Not sure how a squad from over 30 years ago is relevant. Lots of people on here would be googling those names

How is that relevant?

Peolpe who complain probably do because they compare to our rivals right now. That must be more relevant. And if they do complain, they probably feel that we bring in a very expensive player inferior, both in quality and potential, to the options at Liverpool and City. That my point of view, anyway.

Furthermore, I feel there are several more talented right backs out there. In fact, there is probably a few english right backs out there more talented. At least one of them would (probably) be available and cheaper too.

Last edited:

I think for that not to happen we need to really sort the team out. Otherwise they're bound to look worse (because we're crap) and bound to have more attention on them. Alas, doesn't seem as though it's happening this summer, again.

Think he means because while he is a solid right back and strong defensively, hes very average on the ball and in attack (like Luke Shaw, which took years for people to find out hes actually just pretty "meh" and not just injuries holding him back.

Wasn't Shaw also this "low risk, leftback would be sorted for 10 years" signing?

So what exactly is people's issue with AWB? Genuine question.

He is costly yes, agree and we are paying about 10m over the actual price.

And what other options do we have? Meunier ? Yes, a cheaper alternative but defensively he is bad. He can be a stop gap but we will start looking for replacements in 3 years time.

Cancelo - he wouldn't join us from Juve. This paper talks are BS. City? Probable but why would he leave Juve and join us ?

What kinda top red is sat there comparing our 2019 signings with 1980s equivalents? :lol:

I don't care how signing AWB for £60m might compare with how bad things were in the 80s. I care about how we're spending a ludicrous amount on a right back who wouldn't even dislodge the right backs at Wolves or Leicester, let alone any of the 5 clubs currently above us in squad quality.

And what other options do we have? Meunier ? Yes, a cheaper alternative but defensively he is bad. He can be a stop gap but we will start looking for replacements in 3 years time.

Cancelo - he wouldn't join us from Juve. This paper talks are BS. City? Probable but why would he leave Juve and join us ?

Bingo. As much as I loathe the regime at United this is a brilliant transfer. Who cares if they 10m more than the ideal price should be?

He's expensive and isn't great on the ball/going forward. This seems to be the biggest concern being raised.

See no problem with it tbh. You'd think he was like Smalling with the ball at this feet the way some are going on.

This is our RB sorted for a decade. It's a really positive transfer. I just hope the rest don't drag on as long as this one, because we can't afford not having the bulk of our business don't before our tour starts.

How is that relevant?

Peolpe who complain probably do because they compare to our rivals right now. That must be more relevant. And if they do complain, they probably feel that we bring in a very expensive player inferior, both in quality and potential, to the options at Liverpool and City. That my point of view, anyway.

Furthermore, I feel there are several more talented right backs out there. In fact, there is probably a few english right backs out there more talented. At least one of them would (probably) be available and cheaper too.

It's relevant - because some of us remember when things TRULY were bad - some people here make it sound like the end of the world because we are signing a talented 21 year old.

City paid 50m for Walker two years ago. AWB won’t move for less, what are people expecting here I am not sure.

Walker was a full international with more than 150 Prem games & experience in the Champions League at the time. Also he was bought from Spurs, who had just finished above Man City in the league.

AWB is a top prospect but Walker was in his prime.

Walker was a full international with more than 150 Prem games & experience in the Champions League at the time. Also he was bought from Spurs, who had just finished above Man City in the league.

AWB is a top prospect but Walker was in his prime.

Absolutely, but you could argue that the market has rumbled on since then.

Overrated, overhyped, not good enough going forward. Some Palace fans are ensuring us that it wont be a problem, as apparently he used to be a winger. Being held back by Palace defensive system of play, even though van Aanholt is allowed to play as a attacking fullback.

Reports from Italy were saying that Cancelo has been cancerous witin dressingroom, so Juventus wants to get rid.

City paid 50m for Walker two years ago. AWB won’t move for less, what are people expecting here I am not sure.

Walker was proven defensively and going forward at a higher level for many years

It's relevant - because some of us remember when things TRULY were bad - some people here make it sound like the end of the world because we are signing a talented 21 year old.

«It is not that bad that we are about to waste £50 mill on a very limited player, far inferior to our rivals in the same position, because we once used to be really poor.»

Sorry, it do not make it any more relevant. I agree that it puts it into perspective when supporters complain about our situation and squad today. But its not relevant a relevant point if fans complain because they feel we are about to waste money on a player that is not and will not be good enough.

I respect if people believe AWB is good (I do not understand it), but I do not get why you would get on a high horse due to it being worse several years ago. That is really not relevant for the discussion. We all want Man Utd to improve the most possible. To do that, we need to make the best use possible of our funds. In several peoples opinion, buying AWB is not the best use of our funds. Simple as.

Overrated, overhyped, not good enough going forward. Some Palace fans are ensuring us that it wont be a problem, as apparently he used to be a winger. Being held back by Palace defensive system of play, even though van Aanholt is allowed to play as a attacking fullback.

And Van Aanholt is not as good/good enough defensively so for him to be of use to that side he’d better attack and produce.

What kinda top red is sat there comparing our 2019 signings with 1980s equivalents? :lol:

I don't care how signing AWB for £60m might compare with how bad things were in the 80s. I care about how we're spending a ludicrous amount on a right back who wouldn't even dislodge the right backs at Wolves or Leicester, let alone any of the 5 clubs currently above us in squad quality.
That’s not true at all.

Pereira is good but docherty can’t defend.

We’re sighing the best defensive fullback in the league, his attacking isn’t as bad as people make out.

We won’t be asking him to run the RW by himself either.

He's expensive and isn't great on the ball/going forward. This seems to be the biggest concern being raised.

See no problem with it tbh. You'd think he was like Smalling with the ball at this feet the way some are going on.

This is our RB sorted for a decade. It's a really positive transfer. I just hope the rest don't drag on as long as this one, because we can't afford not having the bulk of our business don't before our tour starts.

I'm not so sure.

Wasn't Shaw also this "low risk, leftback would be sorted for 10 years" signing?
Shaw also looked really good and was a safe long term signing because he was already a good player, but it was the potential that people were hoping for. With Wan Bissaka it's the same. A very good young right back, but like with Shaw, we hope that he'll improve on the ball and offensively compared to what he is now. Shaw hasn't up until now, though injuries have had an impact. We'll see with Wan Bissaka how they go. They're safe signings in that the worst case scenario is they stay as they are now, which is solid right backs who are good defensively and they are home grown, but you still hope they push on.

Status
Not open for further replies.