Aaron Wan-Bissaka | The Ornacle speaks: It is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't expect any movement on him till after the under 21s tournament. His mind is on that and after that then we can sort out his move.

No thanks to Ashley young but of course there are negatives.

To be honest I cannot understand why people cannot see them.

1. The price. But as the saying goes it ain't my money so fair enough.
2. He lacks the requisite ball skills to contribute to an effective press resistant passing game. For example, in his last game against us, there was altogether too much hoof ball from him.

We wants players who

1. Can normally receive the ball cleanly and get it under control quickly in tight spaces
2. Can normally control the ball within 1 or max 2 touches
3. Having received the ball can quickly transition to head up, with ball under control and ready for the next phase
4. Can evade an advancing playing or press via short passing or dribbling
5. Have progressive short-passing (weight, speed, drive) with high accuracy
6. Have composure to play with head-up and also be aware of own position relative to other players.

Too few of our current lot have these which is why it all falls to pieces when we play teams which press aggressively. (It is (was?) the same with the English national team BTW).

These skills are less important for strikers, wingers and to some extent fullbacks and a team can carry a few players who lack these but our overall problem is that most of our players already fail in these regards.

I already raised this is a previous post and the game where he played against us earlier, supports that notion.

As a pure defender he is one of the best so there is nothing wrong with buying him for the right price. That is, as long as we are aware that we need to focus on "progressive" players going forward.

RECEIPTS:

1. http://www.redcafe.net/threads/aaron-wan-bissaka.447806/page-52#post-24279153

2. Watch this

hoof timestamps

0:20
0:26
1:06
1:12

Could be managerial instructions, but from what I have seen his ability to play out in those situations is somewhat subpar.

You're concentrating way too hard on just 1 game. A game where Palace are massive under dogs and aren't expected to come and outplay us.

AWB in RB is similar to Kante in DM. We would like a better passer than Kante for DM, but he is good in what he does. Same with AWB. Considering his age, AWB can improve a lot in his offensive game, playing for United.

Don't expect any movement on him till after the under 21s tournament. His mind is on that and after that then we can sort out his move.
We'll probably make one of those 'Deal in Principle' announcements.

We've done that a fair few times over the years.

I’m not that keen on us getting him. For a world record fee I’d expect a better player.

He’s a good young player who will improve us, so it’s not a bad signing, just overpriced IMO (if rumours of 55m are true)

Fee seems steep. Why wouldnt we offer one of Rojo or Jones as part exchange

Wages the biggest issue - but let’s be honest I’m sure Palace could pick up players of the quality of Rojo or Jones for £10m without the massive wages, appalling brain farts or injury records.

You're concentrating way too hard on just 1 game. A game where Palace are massive under dogs and aren't expected to come and outplay us.

Nah. I said it before I saw that game. And my criteria (as listed in the OP) are clearly not drawn from one game.

Anyway like I said in the OP we shall see.

For me it is pretty obvious and to be honest, like so many things about the club these days, being right actually makes things worse.

When you say "better teams outplaying", as things stand that could be us vs.... City, Liverpool, Barca, PSG..?

At the end of the day we need a press-resistant team who can play proactively, progressively with confidence on the front foot against the very best teams.

AWB vs. City

Hoof timestamps:

0:09
0:14
1:01 - justified?

Excellent example of non-hoof

1:58

That inability to play rather than hoof is what cost us the first goal against Barca just this year, and has cost us many many times before.

When you "hoof" invariably you cede possession. Incessant hoof-ball leads to pressure building, which when playing against the better teams tends to lead to conceding.

Saying that, his speed, strength, tracking of runners, tackling, heading of the ball are all brilliant so he would be a good addition to the team (for the right price).

Nah. I said it before I saw that game. And my criteria (as listed in the OP) are clearly not drawn from one game.

Anyway like I said in the OP we shall see.

For me it is pretty obvious and to be honest, like so many things about the club these days, being right actually makes things worse.

When you say "better teams outplaying", as things stand that could be us vs.... City, Liverpool, Barca, PSG..?

At the end of the day we need a press-resistant team who can play proactively, progressively with confidence on the front foot against the very best teams.

AWB vs. City

Hoof timestamps:

0:09
0:14
1:01 - justified?

Excellent example of non-hoof

1:58

That inability to play rather than hoof is what cost us the first goal against Barca just this year, and has cost us many many times before.

When you "hoof" invariably you cede possession. Incessant hoof-ball leads to pressure building, which when playing against the better teams tends to lead to conceding.

Saying that, his speed, strength, tracking of runners, tackling, heading of the ball are all brilliant so he would be a good addition to the team (for the right price).

If palace were expected to retain possession and dominate the play then your criticism/observations would have been justified. In most cases he is in defensive third, with City players around him and no outlet. Unless they are coached to retain possession no matter what, going long is the easy decision there.

If palace were expected to retain possession and dominate the play then your criticism/observations would have been justified. In most cases he is in defensive third, with City players around him and no outlet. Unless they are coached to retain possession no matter what, going long is the easy decision there.

You can guarantee Hodgson is of the get rid at all costs philosophy so AWB wont have been encouraged to play his way out of trouble.

You can guarantee Hodgson is of the get rid at all costs philosophy so AWB wont have been encouraged to play his way out of trouble.

Yeah, Palace are dominated in most games in possession. They don't play possession game, so it's easy to see why they clear the ball and try for quick counters.

Also if only Young cleared the ball against Barca :wenger:

Im not sure we can. Who do you realistically envisage us getting to 'fix' our attack. I am only seeing Maddison (cam) being mentioned as a froward so I'd love to know who these attacking signings are that are going to transform us. I dont think we will sign another winger or an attacker at all.

Calm down eh. I didn't say we will, I said we can. If we do is a totally different matter.

Pisses me that I get news on my phone that says it's a done deal. How can the press get away with just lying about stuff?

Pisses me that I get news on my phone that says it's a done deal. How can the press get away with just lying about stuff?
I believe it pretty much is a deal that's agreed. We just have to wait for the medical and AWB to sign before it's official.

AWB is away at the Euro U21 tournament with England right now, so we won't see any movement for a few weeks.

Bit salty that mate, I am not sure what you want us to do exactly...accept less than we want for him to help out Man Utd?

I don’t know why people have a general difficulty understanding the concept that if a team has no desire to sell their best player, then the buying club will need to pay more than they would like for his services. It’s the same with Maguire and Diop, no-one is claiming their true value is £60m+, but that is what it’ll take to persuade Leicester and West Ham to sell. The good news is that no-one is forcing the buying club to pursue those players, they can just as easily walk away if they don’t want to pay it.

No doubt the same people complaining about this will be screaming for Utd to accept nothing less than £150m for Paul Pogba.
he is not your best player, wilfred zaha is. He is also not worth 50 million. His asking price should be 25 with us paying 35 million for good measure. Also don't take what i said about you getting relegated so serious. Could care less where palace end up.

he is not your best player, wilfred zaha is. He is also not worth 50 million. His asking price should be 25 with us paying 35 million for good measure. Also don't take what i said about you getting relegated so serious. Could care less where palace end up.
To be fair they did vote AWB as their player of the year.

Couldn't. Could care less means you care at least a little. Pass it on to everyone else in America. ;)

Been watching a few clips. His dribbling is actually very underrated. Can at least move with the ball. So glad he loves to tackle agressively when 1v1 which should give attackers something to think about. Still haven't seen many clips of him crossing. if its good I might just be less salty about the 50m fee.

Calm down eh. I didn't say we will, I said we can. If we do is a totally different matter.
Just stating that we don’t have options for a RW or attacking signing so we are almost creating a problem or not addressing one by signing a defensive fullback.

So you do care where Palace end up?

Why would palace be interested in them?

This and this the issue at this club of holding onto rubbish too long, We need to move them on after at least 1 or 2 seasons, had we moved on Lingard a season or two back we may have been able to get a good fee or part of a player swap deal as some teams may still have believed it was worth gambling on him but now it's now obvious he's not getting any better.

On Sky Sports:

Aaron Wan-Bissaka will be allowed to join Manchester United while on England U21 duty if a deal with Crystal Palace is agreed, manager Aidy Boothroyd has indicated.

On Sky Sports:

Aaron Wan-Bissaka will be allowed to join Manchester United while on England U21 duty if a deal with Crystal Palace is agreed, manager Aidy Boothroyd has indicated.
Not staring tonight either:DI'm going to put 2 and 2 together and get...

I’ve not been that overly impressed with what I’ve seen. Hard to see if he’s good enough to contribute offensively. Defensively he looks good and that’s where his stats shine. Maybe not so surprising considering playing for Palace.

He’s no way near the value that’s been reported. It’s mad paying around £50m for him, but hopefully that includes some add-ons, like appearances and England caps, and not a straight £50m.

Hopefully I’m wrong and it will turn out to be a fantastic signing, cause it looks like we’re going to get him.

I’d also like to add that I could see him being quite good, and have a future, in a back-three. With him there I think you could have a more offensive wingback - meaning playing a real winger instead of a right back in that position.

I’ve not been that overly impressed with what I’ve seen.

What have you seen out of interest?

Teams basically stopped attacking Palace's right side last season, that's how much of a phenomenal defender he is.

What have you seen out of interest?

Teams basically stopped attacking Palace's right side last season, that's how much of a phenomenal defender he is.
My hesitations are on his attack contributions. Not on his defensive ones.

This could be done quickly now that English u21 are essentially out. Lost 2-4 to Romania u21 in a game where AwB didn't start.

Turns out their coach is a moron.

This could be done quickly now that English u21 are essentially out. Lost 2-4 to Romania u21 in a game where AwB didn't start.

Turns out their coach is a moron.

How could that possibly happen with so many stars in the team?

Status
Not open for further replies.