Aaron Wan-Bissaka | The Ornacle speaks: It is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet good money that we line up with:

Young Smalling Jones Shaw

At least once next season :p

Scored an own goal by blasting it through the roof of the net? Here's an extra 5 mil ! - Judge

Wish him all the best. Don’t think he’s worth it, but hopefully he proves me wrong. Think we could have given TFM some game time and with a bit of confidence, wouldn’t have a massively dissimilar player. AWB looks uncomfortable on the ball to me, but I hope that’s down to my limited viewing and he’s actually a lot better.
TFM is really overated by United fans and not a fullback no matter how many chances he’d get. Away from United he will either end up a CB or CDM

I am supposed to be delighted have anyone other than Young at RB, yet strangely I am not excited by Wan Bissaka coming in. This has nothing to do with his game in the U-21s.

This is more about his stats going forward. I had heard about a stat going about the amount of assists for fullbacks for title winning sides are surprisingly low; it is more about being solid at the back.

However, I still feel that he is not good on his feet passing the ball (this irritates me the most as we already have one of the worst ball playing back four in the top 6). Further, comparing to Man city's and Liverpool's full backs he is not as good as them.

I am just overall not hopeful and image myself being frustrated that he won't be able to put in crosses, make over laps or pass the ball in the right areas.

I think united fans are going to be pleasantly surprised by him

I am supposed to be delighted have anyone other than Young at RB, yet strangely I am not excited by Wan Bissaka coming in. This has nothing to do with his game in the U-21s.

This is more about his stats going forward. I had heard about a stat going about the amount of assists for fullbacks for title winning sides are surprisingly low; it is more about being solid at the back.

However, I still feel that he is not good on his feet passing the ball (this irritates me the most as we already have one of the worst ball playing back four in the top 6). Further, comparing to Man city's and Liverpool's full backs he is not as good as them.

I am just overall not hopeful and image myself being frustrated that he won't be able to put in crosses, make over laps or pass the ball in the right areas.

I felt the same way but I genuinely can’t fathom that we’d sign a fullback who can’t attack because surely Ole wants to go all in playing a modern attacking system.

If it was Mou then I could imagine it but why would Ole go so hard for a fullback who can’t contribute in attack. Surely we’re missing something with these stats, I mean he did used to be a winger so he can’t be that bad going forward

I felt the same way but I genuinely can’t fathom that we’d sign a fullback who can’t attack because surely Ole wants to go all in playing a modern attacking system.

If it was Mou then I could imagine it but why would Ole go so hard for a fullback who can’t contribute in attack. Surely we’re missing something with these stats, I mean he did used to be a winger so he can’t be that bad going forward
He's only 22 and maybe he can attack?

I'm satisfied with this. We'll finally have someone playing at RB who can actually defend properly. Something we've been missing since Neville retired imo. Although i'm not overly convinced of his attacking qualities it will at least provide us with some defensive stability. Bit of a relief really.
Neville had like 5 goals and 35 assists in 400 premier league games while playing in a team that scord for fun. AWB couldn't do much worse than that now could he? As long as he does his defensive side well and pops up with a goal/assist once in a while, I'll be happy. We just need to make sure we have a proper RW ahead of him.

CP wanted £50m straight up, Woodward insisted on £45m+£5m in addons = Woodwards ends up paying £50 straight up and forgets removing the £5m in addons. So £55m it is.

Really excited with this. Saw the first time in 2017 when we beat palace 3-2 (matic wonder goal), he was superb back then. We are signing a very good player in was bissaka. Now it's up to the player to keep progressing.

TFM is really overated by United fans and not a fullback no matter how many chances he’d get. Away from United he will either end up a CB or CDM

I know I personally overrate TFM because of his physical tools but he's been pretty disappointing with the loan moves/injuries.

He’s a lot better than TFM who lost his place at Palace to him.

He is better than him now for sure, based on the ‘good as your last game’ theory. TFM’s loan to Fulham was a disaster. His loan at Palace. He excelled himself there, showing the same traits of average offensive quality, great speed, strength and slide tackling etc. He didn’t lose his place because he was playing poorly, he was first choice until about March/April until he was ineligible to play against us.

I don’t dispute that AWB is ahead now, but they are of similar strengths and weaknesses I feel and at the age of 21, both have shown impressive form at PL level. Only AWB hasn’t had the same spell of unimpressive as TFM, but at 21 that doesn’t matter too much to me. 10 good games from TFM and he’s promising again.

For what it’s worth, I wouldn’t want either, as neither are he right profile to me.

I hope he's good. Still, has to be better than Young and Dalot at least....

He is better than him now for sure, based on the ‘good as your last game’ theory. TFM’s loan to Fulham was a disaster. His loan at Palace. He excelled himself there, showing the same traits of average offensive quality, great speed, strength and slide tackling etc. He didn’t lose his place because he was playing poorly, he was first choice until about March/April until he was ineligible to play against us.

I don’t dispute that AWB is ahead now, but they are of similar strengths and weaknesses I feel and at the age of 21, both have shown impressive form at PL level. Only AWB hasn’t had the same spell of unimpressive as TFM, but at 21 that doesn’t matter too much to me. 10 good games from TFM and he’s promising again.

For what it’s worth, I wouldn’t want either, as neither are he right profile to me.

He was miles better than TFM at the same job which is why TFM didn’t get back in. TFM did OK, to say he was excelling is a bit romantic.

AWB actually has been excelling for 40 games now.

It's funny how people don't understand that there are many other ways to contributing in attack outside of "good on the ball", assists or goals.

He's responsible defensively and can lock down the attacking flank, then awesome. How a fullback actually contributes to the attack is based on the team structure and how they play, i.e. their identity going forward. United haven't had too much of an identity to say "the fullback does this on a consistent basis when going forward". Teams would allow Valencia and Young to go up the pitch because they only had three real options in attack (kind of like most fullbacks): cross into the box, square pass or pass backwards. Just that neither Valencia or Young could cross consistently and only had one or two, at best, crossing options from deep. Also, they didn't execute too many cut backs or link up in play because it was so much cross and hope inside a congested box.

Allow Shaw to go more forward, have AWB sit in the right channel ahead of the two CBs, which allows two central mids to push forward with the deepest central mid (Matic, McTominay, etc.) able to form a box or defensive shape of four players. You should be able to defend with four players near the halfway line and transition into defense when/if the ball is lost while the forward players are marking players around them who could get an outlet pass, press, restrict passing areas/space for the opposition.

Great teams are built on strong defences. I am happy that we are addressing a very old problem which has been ignored for 3 seasons.

A lot of posters seem circumspect about his attacking output but let's not forget he is 21 and can still be moulded, unlike Ashley young who is probably at the twilight of his career. He is not the finished article and will take to coaching with an open mind. I am betting a lot of people will be surprised when he starts putting up impressive attacking numbers under Ole, whose tactical plan would be to send the full backs flying down the wing supporting the attack.

AWB will strengthen the defence and will surely bring in some much needed pace and fitness to our defence. Having Dalot and AWB fight compete with each other for places would also be a boost because we cant have players taking their places for granted anymore. Two bad games and there should be someone hungry to grab your place. This was Fergies philosophy of always keeping the group motivated and hungry.

Reactions: roonster09

I had a season ticket at Fulham last year. TFM was unbelievably bad, I felt bad for him because the Fulham fans hated him. Although they are so tame that he probably didn’t hear it.

Crazy expensive if true but that's what young English PL proven players cost these days so let's just hope he turns out to be worth it.

It's funny how people don't understand that there are many other ways to contributing in attack outside of "good on the ball", assists or goals.

He's responsible defensively and can lock down the attacking flank, then awesome. How a fullback actually contributes to the attack is based on the team structure and how they play, i.e. their identity going forward. United haven't had too much of an identity to say "the fullback does this on a consistent basis when going forward". Teams would allow Valencia and Young to go up the pitch because they only had three real options in attack (kind of like most fullbacks): cross into the box, square pass or pass backwards. Just that neither Valencia or Young could cross consistently and only had one or two, at best, crossing options from deep. Also, they didn't execute too many cut backs or link up in play because it was so much cross and hope inside a congested box.

Allow Shaw to go more forward, have AWB sit in the right channel ahead of the two CBs, which allows two central mids to push forward with the deepest central mid (Matic, McTominay, etc.) able to form a box or defensive shape of four players. You should be able to defend with four players near the halfway line and transition into defense when/if the ball is lost while the forward players are marking players around them who could get an outlet pass, press, restrict passing areas/space for the opposition.

Good Post ! It depends on the plan for the team. I remember in Jose's first season when we were playing mancity, Pep had designed his team where the full backs come into midfield and the wingers and centre mids all play as part of a very high attack. to counter this jose had started with Mkhitarayan and lingard to play wide and exploit the spaces.

However mkhi and lingard had awful games where they couldnt even control the ball and we lost. But that game was a clear example on what is the team tactics and how the full backs would help the attack. Under Ole i am sure he will ask them to Bomb forward and provide width or aiding the midfield in bringing the ball forward.

TFM was comfortably Palace's best defender before he got injured. He started the season magnificently well. It was an extremely unlucky loan spell.

Even if that was the case AWB came in and was different level. He’s actually the only player in 4 years to take Palace player of the year off Zaha.

Crazy expensive if true but that's what young English PL proven players cost these days so let's just hope he turns out to be worth it.
Proven exactly how? He just has one season under his belt within one specific set up. Hope he does well obviously but we’re being taken to the cleaners for relatively unknown quantity.

I know they'll be lots of posts claiming his the best thing since sliced bread since it's looking likely we're signing him now.

But .. is he really good? What is his defending and attacking like? Is it more potential or close to the finishing article?

And finally is he better than Ash... nevermind that answer I know.

Have some optimism lads! We have two young fullbacks, one good offensively and one good defensively. Let them fight it out next season and I’m sure one of them will come good.

At any rate, they’ll be better than what we have now.

You really think if we'd agreed a fee then the only person who'd know about it is baldy Dunc? If it's as close as he thinks then we'll know by the end of the evening but I reckon he's having a guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.