A. Young | Guardian: Medical today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think each case should be taken individually, I've seen people use the Valencia comparison before and the one where Gibson will come good here because Fletcher did but I find that similar to whole "He's the new Messi" type of thing that goes with every half talented Argie kid that pops up..

Obviously every case should be taken individually but the point stands that if Fergie rates a player that player has a good chance of being a success, whether or not the great and good on redcafe are excited about the purchase.

In fact, when you think about it, it's the high-profile signings that cause the least excitement amongst transfer muppets that have tended to be the most unequivocal success stories.

^
The difference is, at the time we needed a right winger. Ronaldo left.
Now, we don't really need a winger. We have both Nani and Valencia, then there's Park, and not to mention Giggs...so i really don't see the need for him.

That's the way I feel. He is talented for sure but I don't think we need him. We have great wingers and I don't think he is an improvement on what we have already got.

I guess it's just frustrating being linked with a winger when we really need a proper midfielder

That's the way I feel. He is talented for sure but I don't think we need him. We have great wingers and I don't think he is an improvement on what we have already got.

I guess it's just frustrating being linked with a winger when we really need a proper midfielder

Yeah, people would be more relaxed and tolerant about the whole thing if we had a central midfielder or two wrapped up already.

It's sort of understandable: having gone two transfer windows without addressing the flaws of central midfield we're afraid another summer might go by without reinforcing that area.

£20M for a back up is crazy. Hopefully this is just media bollocks and the touted figure includes his wages.

tell berbtov that. Becasue since chicharito found his groove it seems like berbatov is more and more the "back up" and how much did he cost.

I think young could be good at united but considering that nani and valencia are right footed aswell i am not so sure he will fit in, i dont actually see the advantages he can bring....unlessif young is signed it could be curtains for nani, either that or SAF has a plan to convert someone into a permanent left winger or Cm player.

something is making me think Nani leaving has alot to do with this transfer and this new rule about home grown players in europe aswell.
I hope im wrong.

^
The difference is, at the time we needed a right winger. Ronaldo left.
Now, we don't really need a winger. We have both Nani and Valencia, then there's Park, and not to mention Giggs...so i really don't see the need for him.

Anyway, i couldn't care less if he came to us or not. More the merriei say.

That's the main difference with Valencia, there was a ready made vacancy in the team for him, where as Young has 4 better players ahead of him in the positions he plays in, so I think he'll have to get used to not being a regular starter, but he'll get enough games.

Obviously every case should be taken individually but the point stands that if Fergie rates a player that player has a good chance of being a success, whether or not the great and good on redcafe are excited about the purchase.

In fact, when you think about it, it's the high-profile signings that cause the least excitement amongst transfer muppets that have tended to be the most unequivocal success stories.

Only a fool would suggest he wont do at least decently here, my own personal disappointment is not based on the fact I think he'll flop, he's a solid player and in a very squad based club, so he'll do fine.

Yeah, people would be more relaxed and tolerant about the whole thing if we had a central midfielder or two wrapped up already.

It's sort of understandable: having gone two transfer windows without addressing the flaws of central midfield we're afraid another summer might go by without reinforcing that area.

It would be understandable if the transfer window was due to close this weekend, it's outright muppetry to start moaning about this (potential) signing on the basis we haven't yet signed a central midfielder.

It's been said before but it needs saying again, the order in which we complete our transfer activity this summer means absolutely nothing. All that matters is the make-up of our squad at the beginning of next season.

Fergie won't choose Young over Nani so if Young is coming it may be because Nani's leaving. Can't see any other reason for buying him.

Is it not possible that it's just to add genuine quality to the squad as Young can play in a number of positions?

Young will give top competition to the likes of Nani, Valencia and even the forwards.

Fergie won't choose Young over Nani so if Young is coming it may be because Nani's leaving. Can't see any other reason for buying him.

He will if Young is in form and Nani is not.

One of the things that really stood out this season has been Fergie's willingness to drop big names if they have a dip in form. Nani and Berbatov were our two best players, by far, in the first half of the season but finished the season unable to get off the bench. Meanwhile, their replacements played a huge part in finishing off what they started.

If that's not a perfect example of the importance of a deep squad and competition for places I don't know what is.

It would be understandable if the transfer window was due to close this weekend, it's outright muppetry to start moaning about this (potential) signing on the basis we haven't yet signed a central midfielder.

It's been said before but it needs saying again, the order in which we complete our transfer activity this summer means absolutely nothing. All that matters is the make-up of our squad at the beginning of next season.

I agree on that, I mean it seems pretty clear that the CM situation and the player(s) we are supposedly looking at will take more negotiating, so it was bound to be the latter signing.

Is it not possible that it's just to add genuine quality to the squad as Young can play in a number of positions?

Young will give top competition to the likes of Nani, Valencia and even the forwards.
Yes, could be, but he's 26 this year and I would have expected Fergie to prefer a younger, developing winger.

Also, personally I wouldn't have thought a new winger was one of our more pressing needs atm.

headbangsoncomputer_t_01.gif

Yes, could be, but he's 26 this year and I would have expected Fergie to prefer a younger, developing winger.

Also, personally I wouldn't have thought a new winger was one of our more pressing needs atm.

I don't think he's being bought as just a winger, he has played in the hole most of this season and I think he may well be seen as cover for Rooney as well as the wingers.

I agree on that, I mean it seems pretty clear that the CM situation and the player(s) we are supposedly looking at will take more negotiating, so it was bound to be the latter signing.

Exactly.

It's the same shit every summer. The impatience of people on here is astonishing. Not only do they expect the club to sign a who's who of Europe's best midfielders, they want everything wrapped up within a fortnight of the transfer window opening.

Now that it looks as though we might be doing a major bit of business before any of our rivals, you're getting people complaining that we should have somehow closed all our other deals first. Madness.

I keep seeing this figure popping out. Where was it exactly said or heard of that we're going to buy him for 20m, if we're indeed buying him?

Exactly.

It's the same shit every summer. The impatience of people on here is astonishing. Not only do they expect the club to sign a who's who of Europe's best midfielders, they want everything wrapped up within a fortnight of the transfer window opening.

Now that it looks as though we might be doing a major bit of business before any of our rivals, you're getting people complaining that we should have somehow closed all our other deals first. Madness.

Give up Pogue it's obvious Young is too old, expensive and he wouldn't start against Barca so he is not worth signing;)

I keep seeing this figure popping out. Where was it exactly said or heard of that we're going to buy him for 20m, if we're indeed buying him?

Some Daily Mail article I think.

I will be very happy, having him in a team.

Finally a quality, English winger who would do great in Manchester United !

Arguing over the price is so embarassingly small-time. I'd say we offer 40m and get it done. No point mucking about.

I personally think £17,000,000 is a bargain; if push came to shove I'd happily shell out even as much as £17,000,250 for him.

If needs be I can chuck a fiver in, that'd give us £17,000,255 for him. :lol:

But to be honest, if we can get Young for around £16mil & Henderson is around that price, without being bias I'd go for Young any day. We need experience in midfield, we've got plenty of youth coming through the ranks that we can look forward to seeing in the first team over the next few years, we don't need to splash out £20mil on another promising talent.

I personally think £17,000,000 is a bargain; if push came to shove I'd happily shell out even as much as £17,000,250 for him.

Crazy talk, he's not worth a penny over £17,000,249.99.

If we go any higher JayWalker should have to pay the difference.

Crazy talk, he's not worth a penny over £17,000,249.99.

If we go any higher JayWalker should have to pay the difference.

Hey man, I'm already shelling out a monumental £150.00 for the Nani-Sneijder deal on top of which Gill just called me up and asked me to chip in for Sanchez and now you lot want me to pay for Young as well. feck that. Not worth it.

18 million pounds for Young? Madness, just goes to show how overpriced English players are. He's not worth it and it's a hell lot of money. That's not value.

It is only to be expected. They are more likely to work out as a player, plus the lack of talent makes it a sellers market. Also, the wealth of the English clubs means more clubs can afford such sums.

Hopefully these new UEFA rules will bring the market down a little in a few years time.

18 million pounds for Young? Madness, just goes to show how overpriced English players are. He's not worth it and it's a hell lot of money. That's not value.

Didn't Nani cost the same? I'd say Young has proven more than what Nani had at the time he came to our club.

Press Association have said it will be closer to 15mil not that it matters.

It is only to be expected. They are more likely to work out as a player, plus the lack of talent makes it a sellers market. Also, the wealth of the English clubs means more clubs can afford such sums.

Hopefully these new UEFA rules will bring the market down a little in a few years time.

It's true that they are more likely to work out, but good players can make it everywhere. For months, SAF has been complaining about no value in the market, strongly suggesting that we are not exactly in the financial position to splash out huge sums on mediocre players. But now we are spending 18 millions pounds on Young, when someone of Sneijder's quality has cost Inter Milan only about 15 million euros? We can discuss it all day long, but at the end of the day we are overpaying.

Didn't Nani cost the same? I'd say Young has proven more than what Nani had at the time he came to our club.

Nani was brillant and promising player and even in those days you could see that he would become world-class one day. There are players that ooze talent and skill and when you see them, you have to buy them because otherwise you'd regret it. Sure, it took Nani time to find his consistency but when he did, he turned to be one of our best players, whereas Young is a big fish in a small pond.

Press Association have said it will be closer to 15mil not that it matters.

According to the information thread they bought him for 9m and are planning to sell him to us for 18m. Either way, it doesn't really matter, it's simply too much.

It's true that they are more likely to work out, but good players can make it everywhere. For months, SAF has been complaining about no value in the market, strongly suggesting that we are not exactly in the financial position to splash out huge sums on mediocre players. But now we are spending 18 millions pounds on Young, when someone of Sneijder's quality has cost Inter Milan only about 15 million euros? We can discuss it all day long, but at the end of the day we are overpaying.

Nani was brillant and promising player and even in those days you could see that he would become world-class one day. There are players that ooze talent and skill and when you see them, you have to buy them because otherwise you'd regret it. Sure, it took Nani time to find his consistency but when he did, he turned to be one of our best players, whereas Young is a big fish in a small pond.

According to the information thread they bought him for 9m and are planning to sell him to us for 18m. Either way, it doesn't really matter, it's simply too much.

I agree for a player coming to the end of a contract.But there's nothing we can do but have a moan.

30m on Rio and Rooney - too much
12m on Smalling and Ronaldo - too much
10m on Stam - too much

Status
Not open for further replies.