A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

Fact is : trophy won = 0

Again, i think he's a great manager. He might do a great job with us. He's doing a great job at spurs. Nobody is denying that.

But the reasoning is not only on poch ability but our chronic illness post fergie. When managers that has a great pedigree like lvg and Mourinho fails with us, the common denominator starts to shift that maybe it isnt the manager issue alone. If poch comes to us and faces the same problem all over again.

But there's no point in further discussion. We know how fallen jose with united supporter, let's just see where poch future lies for him.
Fact is also that he's been brilliant for Spurs. You're aware that more than one fact exists? He'll have to prove himself wherever he goes next but he's been done an excellent job at Spurs despite not winning the when grail pf the FA cup or League cup.

Do you think Pochettino will want to manage MUFC if he was given the opportunity at the end of this season?
I think the risks outweight the benefits of this job.

I think Manchester United, if sold as a project would be a dream job for a manager like Pochettino. However, Pochettino is an extremely loyal person, and also doesn't seem to be someone who would be satisfied leaving the current project early. If he was a manager of neither club, and could pick between joining Spurs (the current one or the one he joined) or United I think he would pick United. And I even think the idea of United would be a more tempting prospect than Real Madrid, since he would not be given time and freedom to treat it as his own project.

However, I do believe that he will stay with us a while longer until he feel the project is over, it may be 2 years, it may be 20 but I don't see him leaving just yet.

I think Manchester United, if sold as a project would be a dream job for a manager like Pochettino. However, Pochettino is an extremely loyal person, and also doesn't seem to be someone who would be satisfied leaving the current project early. If he was a manager of neither club, and could pick between joining Spurs (the current one or the one he joined) or United I think he would pick United. And I even think the idea of United would be a more tempting prospect than Real Madrid, since he would not be given time and freedom to treat it as his own project.

However, I do believe that he will stay with us a while longer until he feel the project is over, it may be 2 years, it may be 20 but I don't see him leaving just yet.

Fair enough. I fully agree with you that unless something "bad" happens at Tottenham (Kane is sold, not getting funds for the summer, fallout with Levy) then he will remain. I think our best hope for long term success is Howe. If we were to attract Pochettino in the summer i'm fairly sure Levy would appoint Howe.

Fair enough. I fully agree with you that unless something "bad" happens at Tottenham (Kane is sold, not getting funds for the summer, fallout with Levy) then he will remain. I think our best hope for long term success is Howe. If we were to attract Pochettino in the summer i'm fairly sure Levy would appoint Howe.

Pochettino will not be coming in the summer, Pochettino is comfortable with the fact that there is no pressure on him to win trophies or challenge for the league, his only mandate is to qualify for the champions league.

My bet is that the club will not fork out 30 to 40 mill to buy Pochettino out of his contract, and then on top of that pay him 12 mill
to 15 mill a year in wages.

The club will more likely go for Conte, as the Pochettino, buy clause will cover his wages, also he has worked with Pogba before, and knows the premier league.

Why would he want to come to us anyway?! Spurs have lost their edge but they're still better than us.

Like the poster above, I agree with much of what you say. But surely we can agree that it will be difficult to turn down a job like united without giving it some serious thought? Spurs are definitely in a better place right now than United, but I'm not sure if that was the case before Poch joined spurs. He might back himself to be the one to reignite united.

Well, maybe he has given it some serious thought for all any of us know. But if he has, his conclusion seems clear, since this is what he said yesterday in response to the stories:

"Tottenham has given me value. I feel happy here in Tottenham because I feel the recognition for our job. We feel that. When Daniel Levy extended my contract for five years, it is because he believed in that moment and period, we are the best people to manage this boat and this club. It is recognition for us.

I don’t need to listen about what goes around. The most important thing is how you are made to feel in your home."

Moving to United would make very little practical sense.

3 managers in a row have failed at the club. There's massive expectations, he would have to start an entirely new project and move a lot of players in/out, and whilst he would have financial backing it still wouldn't be to the same extent as City, so the reality is it would still be very hard to win the league. I'd be very surprised if plenty of top managers don't view the United job currently as a poisoned chalice, it is a job that comes with a very demanding fanbase but not the players to match it. You've got to compete with Liverpool & Manchester City, both of whom are rival clubs much further along in their projects.

Sure, the money would be better and it's a bigger club, but I really don't think Pochettino will be looking at United and thinking 'that's the job for me'. He's got a very comfortable position at Spurs, I think the lack of investment definitely gets to him, but on the flip side he is incredibly valued by the club and its fans and has a very good squad of players to work with. Swapping that for living in Manchester with a weird squad assembled by numerous managers where you'll get hounded by the press after every defeat isn't exactly an enticing prospect.

The idea that United could just click their fingers and Pochettino would come running is dubious at best. I'm under no illusion that he wouldn't move if a truly great opportunity came up, but he's in no rush having invested a ton of time in to his project at Spurs, and quite frankly I don't see why he would view the current Manchester United job as an opportunity worth abandoning that for. Again, maybe if you offered him absolutely outrageous sums of money that would change things, but I don't see that as one of Pochettino's main motivations at all.

Everytime I open this thread i'm always disappointed when I don't see a photo or video of someone looking seriously at Mauricio Pochettino.

… Tottenham had a very nice core a few years ago, and it looked like they might win some titles. … they are still strong contenders for top 4, but they're closer to falling out than they are to winning the league.

You paint a picture of some decline, but that doesn't square with the fact that this season we have our biggest points haul after the first fifteen games since 2011-12 … and that's despite not playing in our real home stadium and having so far played 3 more away games than 'home' games.

As for the league title, in City we're up against one of the best ever teams in the Prem era … a team that has outspent Spurs - in net terms - by a ratio of more than 5:1 over the last 3 years (and even more over a longer period). And that's not to mention the money they've spent on wages. It's not realistic to have expected us to be overcoming such odds.

You paint a picture of some decline, but that doesn't square with the fact that this season we have our biggest points haul after the first fifteen games since 2011-12 … and that's despite not playing in our real home stadium and having so far played 3 more away games than 'home' games.

As for the league title, in City we're up against one of the best ever teams in the Prem era … a team that has outspent Spurs - in net terms - by a ratio of more than 5:1 over the last 3 years (and even more over a longer period). And that's not to mention the money they've spent on wages. It's not realistic to have expected us to be overcoming such odds.

Anyone that expects Pochettino to win or even seriously challenge for the league is living in cloud cuckoo land.

City got 100 fecking points last season, they have world class players on their bench every single week and are a machine led by the best manager in world football. Even in 2nd you have a world class coach in Klopp who is also able to go out and spend 150 million or whatever on a goalkeeper and a central defender, and sign over a hundred million worth of midfielders.

Spurs time to win a trophy or two was in 15/16 and 16/17. The league was weaker and many of their players were growing into their own but they have stagnated. I fancied Dier to become a top player after what I saw of him in 16/17, but he has stagnated. Rose has probably regressed due to injury and lack of playing time. I would also say that Dele Alli has stagnated.

Of course, now that other teams have gotten their problems sorted Spurs should not be expected to challenge for the league. But their performances in the cups have been very underwhelming with the players at their disposal.

I see shades of Wenger in Pochettino to be honest, except Wenger was much more reliable in high pressure situations (I don't ever see Pochettino being such heavy underdogs against City and Chelsea and winning back to back). He seems to be very set in his ways during a match, as if he is convinced that the way to win the game was how he set up the team at the start. A lot of his substitutions seem like token gestures, a last throw of the dice rather than with a specific plan in mind.

Saying Poch had "undeniably" the second best squad in the league is bizarre to me. They have been starting the likes of Sissoka, Foythe, Davies recently, their midfield options are Dier/Sissoka/Winks/Wanayma and a declining injury prone Dembele, old Llorente is their striker back up. Good options at CB with Kane and Eriksen ably supported by Son and Ali.

Decent squad and they have managed to add more depth in the last couple of years but that midfield set is not great, Rose is nowhere near the player he was 3 years ago and Trippier is rubbish defensively.

Saying Poch had "undeniably" the second best squad in the league is bizarre to me. They have been starting the likes of Sissoka, Foythe, Davies recently, their midfield options are Dier/Sissoka/Winks/Wanayma and a declining injury prone Dembele, old Llorente is their striker back up. Good options at CB with Kane and Eriksen ably supported by Son and Ali.

Decent squad and they have managed to add more depth in the last couple of years but that midfield set is not great, Rose is nowhere near the player he was 3 years ago and Trippier is rubbish defensively.

Maybe they are living in the past when Spurs could compete for best squad in the league when Leicester and Chelsea won? That's the peak for me in recent times for Spurs, when Kane, Eriksen, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Rose, Dier, Dembele, Wanyama were all firing. They were in my opinion at their best squad strength in 16/17. Spurs' squad has declined in relation to other teams and this has reflected their league position.

The club needs an offensive coach who plays entertaining football, not defensive ridden tosh like Allegri & Simeone dish up. How anyone can suggest bringing the anti-football tactics of Simeone here is beyond me. Doesn't even speak English.
Do you watch Atleti play? They defend against teams like Barca and Madrid. Even Sir Alex set teams up to defend against them. You didn't see the way they tore Sevilla apart or how they play weekly. I guess fans like you enjoy naive football with no plan B.

Maybe they are living in the past when Spurs could compete for best squad in the league when Leicester and Chelsea won? That's the peak for me in recent times for Spurs, when Kane, Eriksen, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Rose, Dier, Dembele, Wanyama were all firing. They were in my opinion at their best squad strength in 16/17. Spurs' squad has declined in relation to other teams and this has reflected their league position.
We are 3rd

Do you watch Atleti play? They defend against teams like Barca and Madrid. Even Sir Alex set teams up to defend against them. You didn't see the way they tore Sevilla apart or how they play weekly. I guess fans like you enjoy naive football with no plan B.

Sorry wont wash. Keep getting told what a great man manager he is & what a good side he has at Atletico with Costa & Griezmann up front. Can you tell me then how a misfiring Man Utd scored 68 v 58 goals in their relevant leagues last season, & after 15 games this season. 24 v 19. I shudder to think what he would do with average players. Put prime Messi & Ronaldo up front & they would struggle to score anything like they did at Barcelona & Madrid. No really big side would put up with his negative tactics for long without a fan revolt. Atletico do, as they are a 2nd tier side, who have pushing above their weight in recent years.

Nah, Simeone sides play really boring football. They don't just do it against Barca/Madrid at all, they park the bus in basically every big game and even plenty of decent teams in La Liga have more of the play than they do. It's just Simeone's style, it isn't fashionable but the Atletico fans accept it because it's led to CL finals, a title and being up there and competing.

Also, did SAF set up to defend against Madrid and Barcelona? I really don't seem to remember him doing so against Barca in either final, or against Madrid .. except maybe when you went down to 10.

You're the one who don't watch Atletico play actually if you're saying that.

Nah, Simeone sides play really boring football. They don't just do it against Barca/Madrid at all, they park the bus in basically every big game and even plenty of decent teams in La Liga have more of the play than they do. It's just Simeone's style, it isn't fashionable but the Atletico fans accept it because it's led to CL finals, a title and being up there and competing.

Also, did SAF set up to defend against Madrid and Barcelona? I really don't seem to remember him doing so against Barca in either final, or against Madrid .. except maybe when you went down to 10.

Funnily enough, setting up to defend was the only time we actually beat Barca in recent times. This was a big weakness of SAF and led to quiet a few early exits from the CL (and one in the EL). He thought he could play the same way in Europe as in the league.

Largely retaining top 4 status whilst building a fantastic new stadium is hardly "treading water": it's laying solid foundations for decades-long financial gain - which in turn means more money to invest in the squad - as well as making the club a more attractive proposition all-round.

Moreover, your assertion that Spurs can't improve further is just wishful thinking.

I also think it's a big stretch to consider any potential move to United as moving onto to "better things".

You're living in a dream world if you think this 'fantastic new stadium' will miraculously grant Spurs the means to compete with the likes of City, United, Chelsea or even Liverpool financially. It's just a football stadium, nothing more nothing less. Stop pretending otherwise.

I don't believe Poch can take Spurs any further given the limited means at his disposal, top four is the pinnacle for them, and you have to wonder if Poch himself feels the same way. I don't buy the PR stuff he spouts in the media, same goes for any other manager/player.

Anyone that expects Pochettino to win or even seriously challenge for the league is living in cloud cuckoo land.

Spurs had their chance during the Leicester triumph and were found wanting, they are extremely unlikely to be given that opportunity again. Poch has achieved his primary goal of transforming Spurs into a genuine top four club, but that is as far as he can take them.

Spurs had their chance during the Leicester triumph and were found wanting, they are extremely unlikely to be given that opportunity again. Poch has achieved his primary goal of transforming Spurs into a genuine top four club, but that is as far as he can take them.

It was too soon with Leicester, sadly. A season later and I think we would have done it, but by then Conte's Chelsea had risen up and were an extremely effective side.

But yeah, it's going to be very hard for Pochettino to do anything else with City in the league, and now even Liverpool spending silly money.

It was too soon with Leicester, sadly. A season later and I think we would have done it, but by then Conte's Chelsea had risen up and were an extremely effective side.

But yeah, it's going to be very hard for Pochettino to do anything else with City in the league, and now even Liverpool spending silly money.

But he has a chance with United.

Yeah, United are in somewhat of a mess at the moment but nothing a genuine world-class football manager cannot remedy.

But he has a chance with United.

Yeah, United are in somewhat of a mess at the moment but nothing a genuine world-class football manager cannot remedy.

I think it would take him a number of seasons to have you ready to challenge City, the question would be whether your fanbase/ownership would be prepared to be patient.]

You'd also require a huge amount of investment, because many of the players signed by previous managers would not be suitable for Pochettino, like when he took over from AVB and pushed out a number of players. You'd have a lot of turnover.

I think it would take him a number of seasons to have you ready to challenge City, the question would be whether your fanbase/ownership would be prepared to be patient.]

You'd also require a huge amount of investment, because many of the players signed by previous managers would not be suitable for Pochettino, like when he took over from AVB and pushed out a number of players. You'd have a lot of turnover.

I would 100% back him even if we didn't win feck all a couple seasons as long as he would have us playing attacking football and at least put up a challenge. Let's be real here considering he has done decent for you guys with a limited budget I am 100% confident he would turn us into a good side again if given 400m like Moyesinho.

You're living in a dream world if you think this 'fantastic new stadium' will miraculously grant Spurs the means to compete with the likes of City, United, Chelsea or even Liverpool financially. It's just a football stadium, nothing more nothing less. Stop pretending otherwise.

I don't believe Poch can take Spurs any further given the limited means at his disposal, top four is the pinnacle for them, and you have to wonder if Poch himself feels the same way. I don't buy the PR stuff he spouts in the media, same goes for any other manager/player.

It's a football stadium that will (a) significantly boost our income each and every year for decades to come; and (b) make Spurs an even more attractive destination for players and managers alike.

You are behind the times: our last financial statement, pending more recent financial statements from Chelsea and Liverpool, put our annual income above both of those clubs … and that's before we move into the new stadium.

The limited means at Pochettino's disposal will soon be less limited than previously.

Glaston is right, just like how Arsenal are competing with Bayern Munich because of their stadium just like Ivan Gazidis said.

Glaston is right, just like how Arsenal are competing with Bayern Munich because of their stadium just like Ivan Gazidis said.

Arsenal's stadium is not multi-use/multi-purpose, and thus has a limited number of income streams compared to Spurs' new stadium. Nor - again unlike Spurs' new stadium - is Arsenal's stadium designed for a day-out experience, which again limits their stadium-derived income.

Some of you seem to not have yet grasped these facts.

A: Many teams were beaten to a league title with more resources than Ranieri including Wenger at Arsenal, Pellegrini at Manchester City and Mourinho at Chelsea.
Utterly besides the point. Pochetino was best placed to take advantage of the big boys failing to have good seasons. Instead its Leciester CCity managed by a Ranieri that did so. You simply cannot excuse him by saying 'others failed too'.

What I sometimes hear is that Spurs should have won it because the big teams were in transition, but in fact that's not quite true.
Which is the weak version of the argument. The strong version is, Bottom line Tottenham were best placed to finish ahead of under performing big boys as champion. Instead a team that fought off relegation the previous season, managed by a manager believed to be past it when the season started, did it instead.

. I don't understand where this myth that he bottled the league came from.
All because you wilfully choose to ignore the reality if EPL hierachy. Outside the traditional big 5 Spurs are the best of the rest. In a season in which the big 5 of City, United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal failed to perform, the best of the rest should be the ones next in line to become league champions. Lecesiter City were relegatiom survivors the previous season.and under new management believed to be passed it. You do the maths.

Sure, it was a chance to win given everything that happened, but Spurs were never closer than 5 points off Leicester. In fact Spurs was the only 'top 6' team who would be relatively satisfied with the season since it was Pochettinos second season in charge and we came third.

Which is irrelevant. No one has been discussing about who was 'note satisfied' with that season amongst the big boys.

On your point regarding valuing cups, he definitely do value the league, but with the squad he has now he definitely does try to challenge on all fronts.
I'm not sure what you are trying to deny. He has more than once said cups are NOT his priority. He only rates competing in the UCL and EPL. Openly ignoring the value of winning cups to building a winning culture at a Club. He rarely seems too bothered about a cup loss.

You're not wrong there.

Poch likes his teams to build from the back, so he would require a central defensive partnership who pride themselves on solid distribution on top of sound defensive capability, which is something the current United do not have. The aging fullbacks also need replacing. Poch would have his work cut out with the backline for sure.

He also likes his players to press high up the pitch and possess buckets of energy, the likes of Pogba, Herrera, Fred, Lingard and Pereria would suit him to down to the ground in that regard. Fellaini, Matic, Mata or Mctominay not so much. I think Poch would enjoy working with Martial and Rashford given his excellent reputation for working with young talented forwards. I would also hope he could bring the best out of Sanchez.

A lot of work indeed, but not impossible. We have the finances to make it a reality, we just need a manager who will buy the players he wants at the club, rather than the scattergun/Galactico approach that Woodward and chose to adopt after Fergie retired. It hasn't worked and the club has learned this the hard way by wasting a ridiculous sum of money (over 700 million).

Last edited:
It's a football stadium that will (a) significantly boost our income each and every year for decades to come; and (b) make Spurs an even more attractive destination for players and managers alike.

You are behind the times: our last financial statement, pending more recent financial statements from Chelsea and Liverpool, put our annual income above both of those clubs … and that's before we move into the new stadium.

The limited means at Pochettino's disposal will soon be less limited than previously.

When you do you expect the fantastic new stadium complex to start bearing fruit?

How much 'less limited', do you expect Spurs to compete with City, United and Chelsea on an even keel?

When you do you expect the fantastic new stadium complex to start bearing fruit?

How much 'less limited', do you expect Spurs to compete with City, United and Chelsea on an even keel?

It will start bearing fruit, pretty obviously, when the new stadium opens for business early in the New Year, with further additions (hotel, apartment blocks etc) to follow on later.

We are already competing football-wise with United and Chelsea. Financially our annual income will grow to roughly match or exceed every club bar United and City.

Utterly besides the point. Pochetino was best placed to take advantage of the big boys failing to have good seasons. Instead its Leciester CCity managed by a Ranieri that did so. You simply cannot excuse him by saying 'others failed too'.

Which is the weak version of the argument. The strong version is, Bottom line Tottenham were best placed to finish ahead of under performing big boys as champion. Instead a team that fought off relegation the previous season, managed by a manager believed to be past it when the season started, did it instead.

All because you wilfully choose to ignore the reality if EPL hierachy. Outside the traditional big 5 Spurs are the best of the rest. In a season in which the big 5 of City, United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal failed to perform, the best of the rest should be the ones next in line to become league champions. Lecesiter City were relegatiom survivors the previous season.and under new management believed to be passed it. You do the maths.

Which is irrelevant. No one has been discussing about who was 'note satisfied' with that season amongst the big boys.

I'm not sure what you are trying to deny. He has more than once said cups are NOT his priority. He only rates competing in the UCL and EPL. Openly ignoring the value of winning cups to building a winning culture at a Club. He rarely seems too bothered about a cup loss.

What do you mean by being best placed to take advantage? Is it not the same to say that in a season where the top 6 failed to win, Everton bottled the league since they should have been next in line? I am not excusing Pochettino because 'others failed too', I am saying that Pochettino was bedding in many new signings and new players and it was the first season for many players adjusting to a new system, and the overall performance in the league was better than expected.

Just because other teams played worse than expected, and one team no one expected to win played better doesn't change a decent season. Let's not forget that Leicester had a great team as well with Kante, Mahrez and Vardy and with the luck and momentum they needed to win lots of 1-0 games, often against the run of play. Leicester won the league, and although Spurs did chase them the furthest and had the best stats in most metrics we were never in a position where it was ours to lose.

Of course it was a missed opportunity for many teams, Spurs included but singling out Spurs is just unfair imo.

Regarding the cup point. Yes he does prioritize the league and CL, but I think that's true for most managers if they didn't have the squad to compete in both, especially if its a fight for top 4. But once it got to the semifinal stage in the FA cup he did prioritize it, we came up short because we weren't good enough on the day.

Yes, Spurs are already competing football wise with United and Chelsea. They have won zero trophies in the last 5 years while United and Chelsea have won 3 and 4 respectively. Unless of course competing means not challenging in the various competitions, then Spurs are the best at that.

Yes, Spurs are already competing football wise with United and Chelsea. They have won zero trophies in the last 5 years while United and Chelsea have won 3 and 4 respectively. Unless of course competing means not challenging in the various competitions, then Spurs are the best at that.

This.

Spurs are a nothing side when and where it matters most.

How they've won nothing with this current team is almost impressive...

This.

Spurs are a nothing side when and where it matters most.

How they've won nothing with this current team is almost impressive...

Its quite common for fans of clubs that haven't won all that much in a long time, they completely twist and distort what it means to be in a competition. Competitions are for trying to win, or atleast to have a good chance to win.

Spurs have been in 1 cup final under Pochettino, they have not spent a single game week in 1st place under Pochettino. They have not been competitive in any competition except the league cup in his first season.