50s Retro Football Fantasy Draft

7872.gif

Cesar Cueto

The Iron Curtain

Lots of great keepers out there and enough solid ones to leave it late.

BUT with my team's pace it would be a waste not to pick the one with the best distribution to kick off lightning counters.

RINAT DASAYEV

44_rinat_dasaev_2993805_large.jpg

Jayvin: 1. SCIREA 2. FERNANDEZ 3. HODDLE 4. FORSTER 5. EDER 6. KRANKL 7. PROHASKA

Duffy: 1. ROBBO 2. KEEGAN 3. BLOKHIN 4. CABRINI 5. ANCELOTTI 6. NEAL 7. BRIO

TDon69: 1. ZICO 2. TIGANA 3. TRESOR 4. DINAMITE 5. JUNIOR 6. BOCHINI 7. LEANDRO

Gio: 1. PLATINI 2. SOUNESS 3. HANSEN 4. ELKJAER 5. REP 6. BRADY 7. CHA-BUM

antohan: 1. FALCAO 2. BONIEK 3. SCHUSTER 4. SIMONSEN 5. BRIEGEL 6. LERBY 7. GERETS 8. DASAYEV

Interval Level: 1. PASSARELLA 2. ROSSI 3. BREITNER 4. CONTI 5. DORNER 6. MIGUELI 7. LATO 8. CUETO

Crustanoid: 1. SOCRATES 2. GENTILE 3. DALGLISH 4. STIELIKE 5. OSCAR 6. VALDANO 7. JUANITO 8. GORDILlO

Nani Nana: 1. MCGRATH 2. TARDELLI 3. GIRESSE 4. ROGER MILLA 5. AUGENTHALER 6. COLLOVATI 7. HOENESS 8. SANTILLANA

Brwned: 1. NEESKENS 2. HUGO SANCHEZ 3. VIERCHOWOD 4. ANTOGNONI 5. ARDILES 6. BETTEGA 7. KALTZ 8. TARANTINI

Polaroid: 1. RUMMENIGGE 2. KEMPES 3. CEREZO 4. CEULEMANS 5. SCHUMACHER 6. CAMACHO 7. BONHOFF 8. SUSIC

Lots of great keepers out there and enough solid ones to leave it late.

BUT with my team's pace it would be a waste not to pick the one with the best distribution to kick off lightning counters.

RINAT DASAYEV

Best keeper in the draft, for me. Made his international tournament debut against that Brazil '82 side in fine form, conceded two goals but was still possibly man of the match. Also the only player in this draft to be named in the Ballon D'or rankings in 6 consecutive seasons, only Breitner appeared in it as often.

Jayvin: 1. SCIREA 2. FERNANDEZ 3. HODDLE 4. FORSTER 5. EDER 6. KRANKL 7. PROHASKA

Duffy: 1. ROBBO 2. KEEGAN 3. BLOKHIN 4. CABRINI 5. ANCELOTTI 6. NEAL 7. BRIO

TDon69: 1. ZICO 2. TIGANA 3. TRESOR 4. DINAMITE 5. JUNIOR 6. BOCHINI 7. LEANDRO

Gio: 1. PLATINI 2. SOUNESS 3. HANSEN 4. ELKJAER 5. REP 6. BRADY 7. CHA-BUM 8. PREUD'HOMME

antohan: 1. FALCAO 2. BONIEK 3. SCHUSTER 4. SIMONSEN 5. BRIEGEL 6. LERBY 7. GERETS 8. DASAYEV

Interval Level: 1. PASSARELLA 2. ROSSI 3. BREITNER 4. CONTI 5. DORNER 6. MIGUELI 7. LATO 8. CUETO

Crustanoid: 1. SOCRATES 2. GENTILE 3. DALGLISH 4. STIELIKE 5. OSCAR 6. VALDANO 7. JUANITO 8. GORDILLO

Nani Nana: 1. MCGRATH 2. TARDELLI 3. GIRESSE 4. ROGER MILLA 5. AUGENTHALER 6. COLLOVATI 7. HOENESS 8. SANTILLANA

Brwned: 1. NEESKENS 2. HUGO SANCHEZ 3. VIERCHOWOD 4. ANTOGNONI 5. ARDILES 6. BETTEGA 7. KALTZ 8. TARANTINI

Polaroid: 1. RUMMENIGGE 2. KEMPES 3. CEREZO 4. CEULEMANS 5. SCHUMACHER 6. CAMACHO 7. BONHOFF 8. SUSIC

I go to bed, wake up and find 3 of my next 4 picks have been drafted...bastards! :lol:

Nevermind, TDon messaged me asking to put his up for him...

Tdon chooses One of British football's all-time great goalscorers.
With a club and country career spanning 882 appearances and 474 goals. John Aldridge.

John-Aldridge-Liverpool-2011.jpg

And I choose Mark Lawrenson.

lawro.jpg

Duffy: 1. ROBBO 2. KEEGAN 3. BLOKHIN 4. CABRINI 5. ANCELOTTI 6. NEAL 7. BRIO 8. LAWRENSON

TDon69: 1. ZICO 2. TIGANA 3. TRESOR 4. DINAMITE 5. JUNIOR 6. BOCHINI 7. LEANDRO 8. ALDRIDGE

Gio: 1. PLATINI 2. SOUNESS 3. HANSEN 4. ELKJAER 5. REP 6. BRADY 7. CHA-BUM 8. PREUD'HOMME

Crustanoid: 1. SOCRATES 2. GENTILE 3. DALGLISH 4. STIELIKE 5. OSCAR 6. VALDANO 7. JUANITO 8. GORDILLO

Jayvin: 1/2

Duffy: 1

TDon69: 1/2

Gio:

antohan: 1/2

Interval Level: 1/2

Crustanoid: 1/2

Nani Nana:

Brwned:

Polaroid:

1/2 seems fine, happy to go with majority view.

Best keeper in the draft, for me. Made his international tournament debut against that Brazil '82 side in fine form, conceded two goals but was still possibly man of the match. Also the only player in this draft to be named in the Ballon D'or rankings in 6 consecutive seasons, only Breitner appeared in it as often.

Aye it's a healthy era for goalkeepers. There's four or five oustanding, another two or three very respectable. Bit of a drop after that though. Dasayev is no doubt in around the upper end of that outstanding group.

1/2 seems fine, happy to go with majority view.

Aye it's a healthy era for goalkeepers. There's four or five oustanding, another two or three very respectable. Bit of a drop after that though. Dasayev is no doubt in around the upper end of that outstanding group.

Dasayev was also my first choice although as you say there's plenty of GK's to go around so i'm not panicked.

Former Belgium captain Eric Gerets

Good pick, thought he might slide another round. There's three or four right-backs who've got a claim to be 'best in the world' at some point during their careers, and Gerets is certainly one of them.

Right that's that decided then, in the group stages only two teams will be eliminated. One player will be added to each quarter-finalists' team, in order of their respective group places (i.e. 1st place gets 1st pick). Will we decide Group A and B now?

Dasayev was also my first choice although as you say there's plenty of GK's to go around so i'm not panicked.

Yes, there are enough keepers for everyone to have a sound one and a couple left that run Dasayev very close.

The difference for me is how quickly Dasayev would get the ball straight out and catch the opposition on the backfoot. His throws were amazing. He took no time doing them, got great speed, distance and accuracy effortlessly.

When you have Schuster, Boniek and Simonsen ready to bomb forward in a devastating run you just have to have that in your locker.

Right that's that decided then, in the group stages only two teams will be eliminated. One player will be added to each quarter-finalists' team, in order of their respective group places (i.e. 1st place gets 1st pick). Will we decide Group A and B now?

Err, no, the idea was the picks would be from a common pool in reverse draft order. That is, all 24 eliminated players will be available and we start at Polaroid's end.

I would rather leave group A and B to be drawn until we are about to go into the 12th man pick, otherwise teams can start drafting relative to the opposition at hand when it really should be about having a team and then having to work out how to make it successful come what may, which is what happens in real life.

Err, no, the idea was the picks would be from a common pool in reverse draft order. That is, all 24 eliminated players will be available and we start at Polaroid's end.

I would rather leave group A and B to be drawn until we are about to go into the 12th man pick, otherwise teams can start drafting relative to the opposition at hand when it really should be about having a team and then having to work out how to make it successful come what may, which is what happens in real life.

Ah, I misunderstood.

If the Top 2 go through there is a large pool and two picks so the common pool is a better option.

If the Top 4 go through then it should be the case that winner picks first and so on. Small pool, only one pick, don't overcomplicate it.

Jayvin: 1. SCIREA 2. FERNANDEZ 3. HODDLE 4. FORSTER 5. EDER 6. KRANKL 7. PROHASKA 8. DEMYANENKO 9. MCGRAIN

Duffy: 1. ROBBO 2. KEEGAN 3. BLOKHIN 4. CABRINI 5. ANCELOTTI 6. NEAL 7. BRIO 8. LAWRENSON

TDon69: 1. ZICO 2. TIGANA 3. TRESOR 4. DINAMITE 5. JUNIOR 6. BOCHINI 7. LEANDRO 8. ALDRIDGE

Jayvin: 1. SCIREA 2. FERNANDEZ 3. HODDLE 4. FORSTER 5. EDER 6. KRANKL 7. PROHASKA 8. DEMYANENKO 9. MCGRAIN

Duffy: 1. ROBBO 2. KEEGAN 3. BLOKHIN 4. CABRINI 5. ANCELOTTI 6. NEAL 7. BRIO 8. LAWRENSON 9. HOUSEMAN

Come on TDon, get yours done and we can fly through the next couple before antohan and Gio disappear!

Władysław Antoni Żmuda

369.jpg

By the 1982 World Cup Żmuda had reached his pinaccle as a defender, who had been held in high esteem for nearly a decade since his inclusion in the 1974 World Cup followed by a suprise starting role at the age of 20. He would claim all the plaudits then for effectively stymying Sanon, Chinaglia, Edstrom, Surjak, Gerd Muller (only forward to score), Jairzinho and Kempes, of his duel with the Argentine, Żmuda completely disabled him from the game and it is said that was one of the best matches of his young and perhaps even his entire career.

In '74 he was the young player of the tournament, in '82 he captained Poland to 3rd place. Classy libero. You bastard.

Maxime Bossis

I'm delighted that a left-back of his exceptional calibre is still available at turn 9.

france-maxime-bossis-1984-rothmans-football-international-stars-collectable-trading-card-45119-p.jpg

Him playing more games for Poland than for any of his club teams certainly contributed to that. Shame about all of the injuries. There's a couple of outstanding individual defenders from the lesser-known nations that're bound to picked in this round and the next.

Right lads, antohan, Interval Level and Crustanoid are all online so if you're heading off soon just PM someone.

I've just got screwed over royally with that Zmuda pick. I was trying to work out who would be his partner!!!!

Duffy: 1. ROBBO 2. KEEGAN 3. BLOKHIN 4. CABRINI 5. ANCELOTTI 6. NEAL 7. BRIO 8. LAWRENSON 9. HOUSEMAN

TDon69: 1. ZICO 2. TIGANA 3. TRESOR 4. DINAMITE 5. JUNIOR 6. BOCHINI 7. LEANDRO 8. ALDRIDGE 9. ZMUDA

Gio: 1. PLATINI 2. SOUNESS 3. HANSEN 4. ELKJAER 5. REP 6. BRADY 7. CHA BUM KUN 8. PREUD'HOMME 9. BOSSIS

Chivadze

With Zmuda gone, another top Eastern European to go with Dasayev

tchivadze_01.jpg